Southern Miss Game Report Card

StatTiger

2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

As much as I hate Saben you have to admit he wins games. As a defensive minded coach they pretty much run his defense every year. But he constantly tweeks it as folks figure it out. When Gus brought in the hurry up he went to smaller and faster LBs and DBs. Good coaches understand that you have to constantly improve. He has no problem bringing in outside ideas. I fact he hires all kind of assistants to do nothing more than watch film of his team and point out tendencies that other coaches might see. You have to be able to Honestly look at your faults and tendencies and make changes. Like the old saying you can’t fix the problem until you are able to admit it is a problem. Gus’s biggest problem is he is always trying to feed his ego. No matter the result it has to be someone else’s fault. If he doesn’t get over it he will never be a really good coach.

Do you mean like this?   

https://sports.yahoo.com/scott-frost-fed-nebraskas-lack-discipline-160831766.html

I listened to Jimbo after a recent game and he hammered his QB for taking sacks among other things. 

JMO but mostly Gus covers for his coaches and players and rarely criticizes them publicly , even when they deserve it. ...and as Frost noted in that piece above, , the guys on the field have to do their job as do the many highly paid assistants who are supposed to actually teach the players about the game...the guys doing the hands on coaching.      

JMO but poor play is only Gus's fault if he allows it to continue without making changes in the coaching staff.    

Lots of blaming the o-line coach but I think a lot of you forget that Grimes just now came back to Auburn and inherited this lack of development from Hand. We've got probably 2 really good linemen and the others are average and raw. They'll get better but it won't be an immediate turnaround.

Stidham is my #1 concern. I wish someone would go back and watch for how many times he runs out of the pocket needlessly and ruins the play. He just can't see the field once he starts to scramble unless the receiver is dead-on in his line of sight along the sideline. It's infuriating to watch.

AND... I'm really starting to hate how nonchalant his attitude is. "Another 3 and out.. oh well!" :glare:

• Thanks 1

Saban's in a whole different stratosphere. 

He's an old ball coach with decades of experience, knowledge and he's succeeded and failed.  He honestly should no longer be labeled as a "defensive minded coach."  He's a seasoned coach, he's laid out a blue print for his team's identity.  He tasks his coaches to build it according to his plan, then he allows them to evolve and improve the design based on player personnel and specific situations.  He may be more hands on with the defense in practice and preparation, but he "meddle's" all in that offense and uses his veto power over any play call as he sees fit.  

I've said it for years, it's really not fair to compare anything CNS does with anything CGM does - the difference is night and day.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

Do you mean like this?   

https://sports.yahoo.com/scott-frost-fed-nebraskas-lack-discipline-160831766.html

I listened to Jimbo after a recent game and he hammered his QB for taking sacks among other things. 

JMO but mostly Gus covers for his coaches and players and rarely criticizes them publicly , even when they deserve it. ...and as Frost noted in that piece above, , the guys on the field have to do their job as do the many highly paid assistants who are supposed to actually teach the players about the game...the guys doing the hands on coaching.      

JMO but poor play is only Gus's fault if he allows it to continue without making changes in the coaching staff.    

No I mean like Kevin Steele’s comment after the USM game where even though his team did a good job most of the game he was not happy with the few minutes they returned after the delay and before the half. And ( and this is the import part you should pay attention to) like a real coach owned the problem because the buck stops with him on defense. But that’s ok you just keep defending Gus until the point we have to fire him. How hard is it for people to understand there is a reason he makes 7 million a year. To put a great program on the field . If he is going to continue to put a second rate program on the field and so called fans like you are going to accept this excuse for a good job then I’m sure we can hire some run of the mill coach that can accomplish that.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 6:33 PM, Eagle Eye 7 said:

No I mean like Kevin Steele’s comment after the USM game where even though his team did a good job most of the game he was not happy with the few minutes they returned after the delay and before the half. And ( and this is the import part you should pay attention to) like a real coach owned the problem because the buck stops with him on defense. But that’s ok you just keep defending Gus until the point we have to fire him. How hard is it for people to understand there is a reason he makes 7 million a year. To put a great program on the field . If he is going to continue to put a second rate program on the field and so called fans like you are going to accept this excuse for a good job then I’m sure we can hire some run of the mill coach that can accomplish that.

You bring up one of my biggest points of contention with Gus.  I don't recall him ever taking responsibility for the play on the field.  It's always about the player's needing to execute better and never taking ownership of being responsible for making that happen or recruiting ones capable of doing so.

Edited by thrustmaxwell
  • Like 2

On 9/30/2018 at 7:08 AM, StatTiger said:

Auburn coaches will need to scheme to give him and his receivers the best chance for success

I don't know why my first thought was 5,000 screens to Ryan Davis and 5 long bombs with a 10% success rate

We have the talent to be so much more dynamic than we are.

On 9/30/2018 at 2:05 PM, StatTiger said:

Ryan Davis has been the most targeted receiver every game until the USM game.

Stats, the 7-10 yard in/out option route that Hastings ran so well against the LBs last year has seemed to vanish from this version of the O.  With Ryan Davis' elite quickness and suddenness, he would be a match up nightmare against the LBs.  Can you think of any reason that we seem to limit Ryan's role in the O.  To me, it just seems that it's a wr screen or nothing. Like Hastings, he could be a demon on the shallow crosses.

On 9/30/2018 at 4:44 PM, StatTiger said:

IMO, there is only so much you will profit from throwing within 5-yards of the LOS 55-65 percent of the time and rarely targeting the intermediate routes.

So in the UW game we made a concerted effort to Target the intermediate zones with drags, slants, outs, and even a couple back shoulders.  We also made the backs a focus utilizing flares and flats. Again, can you think of a reason why these routes have seldom been seen from since?  Utilizing those routes consistently would loosen the box and would help to establish positive numbers for the run game.

On 10/1/2018 at 9:15 AM, Linayus said:

Lots of blaming the o-line coach but I think a lot of you forget that Grimes just now came back to Auburn and inherited this lack of development from Hand. 

For the most part, these are JBs recruits. He should pretty well know their strengths and weaknesses. If we combine that with him being here for just about 9 months now, the line should be much better.   

Tega, Harrell, Kim/Brahms, Sharp, Troxell, Et al. were all here when JB arrived in late January and Driscoll arrived 4 months later.  IMO, that is more than enough time to identify, address, and fix any problems.  

The performance so far this year is so bad it's hard to identify one or two things to fix. In pass pro, the Tackles are too slow in their drops and setting their cylinder. The centers, either of them, have consistently been driven back an lived in the backfield eliminating any chance JS has to climb in the pocket.  Harrell is off and on, but the he is getting zero help. The worst part is, while the center is being knocked on his butt and the tackles are giving free releases to the QB, we've got Horton who seems to be walking around half the time looking for someone to block and looking more confused than a chameleon in a bag of skittles.  It's the same plays he has run for 3 years. Why is there an issue now?  And our run blocking actually seems worse than the pass pro.  I haven't seen a single time where we have engaged the DL and driven them back.  Once the ball is snapped, we either get stoned at the Loss or unfortunately get driven back ourselves.  Time after Time our backs are hit immediately after receiving the handoff.  To top it all off...Blitz pickups are non-existent and DL stunts confuse everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

For the most part, these are JBs recruits. He should pretty well know their strengths and weaknesses. If we combine that with him being here for just about 9 months now, the line should be much better.   

Tega, Harrell, Kim/Brahms, Sharp, Troxell, Et al. were all here when JB arrived in late January and Driscoll arrived 4 months later.  IMO, that is more than enough time to identify, address, and fix any problems.

I don't disagree, and it's troubling that there are so many glaringly bad things to say about the o-line, but I'm not on the "Fire him!" bandwagon. That said, I'm not so sure he sticks around after this season anyway. I just feel like he was hired back as a temporary solution and letting him leave (or asking him to) would be part of Gus' "We're going to fix these issues." promises after the season is over.

• Like 1