Where is the problem

bigbird

2 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

Maybe a more appropriate explanation would be Horton hears a who, what, when, where and why.

Ugh, out of reactions. I laughed.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beating Georgia and Alabama last year was the worst thing that could have happened to Auburn. We got nothing for it. We can’t even brag, become they played each other for the National Championship. All it did was give Malzahn an excuse to be bull headed for longer because his pants seat isn’t on fire anymore. He can hang his hat on “hey I must know something because I beat those two”. Lol

52 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

So the next question has to be, what do we do going forward from this point ? This OL is so broken it's hard to know the best course of action. I'm just spit balling here because the more I think about it the more puzzling it gets. Do we just need to put the 5 most aggressive, most talented, most athletic offensive linemen we have out there ? Do we even have 5 ?     

48 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Personally I feel like there are play callers out there who would be capable of helping the OL out if they had talent at QB and WR like we have.

What I hear Gus saying is that we have to run the ball better.

He's right about that, but I don't know if he's focusing on the illness or if he's too focused on a symptom. 

Yeah, it's pretty obvious we need to run the ball better. When CCL was asked about run blocking in his presser his response was, "we have to do better with that." When you listen to a Coach Steele presser, he knows exactly what is wrong in a given game and can say how he will fix it. CCL should be able to say what he thinks is wrong with the OL and how he will fix it. Most people would be spitting nails about their OL by now. There's a big difference in the two coordinators.

I watched the replay yesterday on SEC network and the middle of the o-line is terrrrrrrrrrrrrible.  It looks like they are lost out there and it is making them play entirely too slow. That also takes away from their physicality. It's almost like they are thinking entirely too much about a perfect step or perfect hand placement and forgetting to get off the ball.  There is no way they will block a legit SEC d-line playing like that.  The 2 guards should be and have been much better in the past, so I'm not sure what is going on.  Stidham and the rb haven't helped them out that much either.  If you go back and watch last year, KJ made quite a few plays when there was nothing there.  We are missing his style big time in the run game.  Anyone who has watched him play on Sundays this year would agree.  I'm just not seeing a fix to this in the near future

10 minutes ago, Tiger said:

lol but hey just imagine how bad it would be if Herb Hand was still here

Honestly, I wasn't sure he actually left....

33 minutes ago, Tiger said:

lol but hey just imagine how bad it would be if Herb Hand was still here

It boggles the mind that Malzahn gave him a chance. He had a history of being a BAD OL coach. He may have fit the "cool" bill, but we need someone who can both recruit AND coach.

I don't really think Grimes is the solution either. I feel like if an honest to goodness search were done for an OL coach this past year, it wouldn't have been Grimes.  Re-hiring a guy who is on his last leg of a career seems like a poor choice for a coach that is making one of the highest salaries in the country. It seems like he just mailed it in and said "meh, he'll do".

3 hours ago, AUTigerTime said:

It boggles the mind that Malzahn gave him a chance. He had a history of being a BAD OL coach. He may have fit the "cool" bill, but we need someone who can both recruit AND coach.

I don't really think Grimes is the solution either. I feel like if an honest to goodness search were done for an OL coach this past year, it wouldn't have been Grimes.  Re-hiring a guy who is on his last leg of a career seems like a poor choice for a coach that is making one of the highest salaries in the country. It seems like he just mailed it in and said "meh, he'll do".

I was good with the Grimes hire but I was wrong. No matter where the fault primarily lies, this isn't working.

Just now, McLoofus said:

I was good with the Grimes hire but I was wrong. No matter where the fault primarily lies, this isn't working.

Same here.

I really thought he'd teach good technique and agressiveness.  Instead he's apparently teaching them to relax and look at the pretty clouds from their backs.

You know?  Thinking outside of the box, who is Army's or Navy's O-Line coaches?  Talk about coaching up?  I mean they probably don't avg 280 lbs due to military regulations yet they both can move the ball (running mostly, of course) on ANYBODY.  And they both run "antiquated" systems that shouldn't work anymore.

I'll bet one of them could help this O-Line....

Can anyone explain why the OL looks so much better vs LSU than vs Southern Miss? Optimistically I’m thinking it’s because they weren’t motivated to play (both because of the opponent and the rain delay) but it just doesn’t make sense 

8 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

There's a big difference in the two coordinators.

Yep one has 40 years of experience under multiple head coaches.  The other was an analyst for Gus 4 years ago.

13 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Yep one has 40 years of experience under multiple head coaches.  The other was an analyst for Gus 4 years ago.

I was referring to temperament and knowledge but I think you just stumbled onto another clue, haha.

22 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Beating Georgia and Alabama last year was the worst thing that could have happened to Auburn. We got nothing for it. We can’t even brag, become they played each other for the National Championship. All it did was give Malzahn an excuse to be bull headed for longer because his pants seat isn’t on fire anymore. He can hang his hat on “hey I must know something because I beat those two”. Lol

No.  Those honors go to UGA/UA 2013 and/or LSU 2016.  He'd have been gone long ago without any of those 3 miracle wins.

I'd be willing to bet that between AU keeping Gus and LSU's buyout of Miles, the AU/LSU 2016 game may have been the most expensive one in college football history.

16 hours ago, Squidward2016 said:

Can anyone explain why the OL looks so much better vs LSU than vs Southern Miss? 

Nope

Can anyone explain why the OL looks so much better vs LSU than vs Southern Miss? Optimistically I’m thinking it’s because they weren’t motivated to play (both because of the opponent and the rain delay) but it just doesn’t make sense 

This video should be required viewing daily for all AU fans.

17 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

No.  Those honors go to UGA/UA 2013 and/or LSU 2016.  He'd have been gone long ago without any of those 3 miracle wins.

I'd be willing to bet that between AU keeping Gus and LSU's buyout of Miles, the AU/LSU 2016 game may have been the most expensive one in college football history.

I always wonder how much of a trajectory would’ve been changed in the SEC landscape if LSU would’ve actually completed the final end zone pass...two coaches holding on to the thread.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I always wonder how much of a trajectory would’ve been changed in the SEC landscape if LSU would’ve actually completed the final end zone pass...two coaches holding on to the thread.

No clue on AU since Jay Jacobs would've still been calling the shots.  LSU though, we wouldn't have Ed Orgeron building a monster down in the swamps more than likely.

Can anyone explain why the OL looks so much better vs LSU than vs Southern Miss?

Stating the obvious, but doubt in your assignment wreaks havoc on an O-lineman.  Not sure what the problem is currently, but some of those LSU highlights shows good pad level and more vertical movement.  Arkansas and Southern Miss may have played some shades/techniques that give our zone scheme, or rather certain personnel, more confusion or doubt.

That 1st run in the above Southern Miss video is a poor excuse for Outside Zone/Stretch play blocking, if that is what it is supposed to be.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

I’m thinking we would have dumped Gus and hired Eddie Gran or something ludacris like that. Bama would still be Bama, LSU would have probably ended up being the same as they are now. That Les thing was coming one way or the other.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

The real question is where would we be today if we had hired Turner Gill?. When you think of that, life could be worse.

8 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

The real question is where would we be today if we had hired Turner Gill?. When you think of that, life could be worse.

I just pretend like the possible Turner Gill hire was never a real thing and just a bad dream. 

38 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

I just pretend like the possible Turner Gill hire was never a real thing and just a bad dream. 

I think Auburn’s best chance at sustained elite power was Chris Peterson or Gary Patterson with full control. But that ship has long sailed. There isn’t anyone worth anything out there right now. We are lucky to have the guy we have.

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I think Auburn’s best chance at sustained elite power was Chris Peterson or Gary Patterson with full control. But that ship has long sailed. There isn’t anyone worth anything out there right now. We are lucky to have the guy we have.

Thank you Mr. Jacobs, I hope retirement is treating you well.

Archived