Where is the problem

bigbird

9 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I think Auburn’s best chance at sustained elite power was Chris Peterson or Gary Patterson with full control. But that ship has long sailed. There isn’t anyone worth anything out there right now. We are lucky to have the guy we have.

I think I would have to qualify lucky to agree. Gus has run a clean program so we're luckier than Baylor and Ole Miss for sure. He has not lost a team so far so we're luckier than Tennessee and Florida in that regard. We are definitely not lucky with the fact that we're paying 49 million to beat LSU, UGA, UA at least half the time and instead we struggle with Arky, Southern Miss, Mercer and Jax St. while losing to UCF. I'm feeling unlucky right now. 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Thank you Mr. Jacobs, I hope retirement is treating you well.

It’s all relative.  No we didn’t strike gold with Saban or Dabo, but we also didn’t crap the bed with Belima or Butch Jones??‍♂️. All I’m saying is life could be worse for Auburn football than Gus Malzahn, as big of a pain in the rear end as he is. 

24 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

It’s all relative.  No we didn’t strike gold with Saban or Dabo, but we also didn’t crap the bed with Belima or Butch Jones??‍♂️. All I’m saying is life could be worse for Auburn football than Gus Malzahn, as big of a pain in the rear end as he is. 

I don’t disagree with this but it’s high time Auburn decides if it wants to be good/average or Elite. 

16 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I don’t disagree with this but it’s high time Auburn decides if it wants to be good/average or Elite. 

I hate to tell you my new e-friend, Auburn decided last December.

On 10/1/2018 at 8:48 PM, fredst said:

Brahms trying the “blocking while on my ass” technique. We must be teaching that because him, Boobie, and Cox have all tried it this year

The difference in Boobie and Cox is linebackers are already at full speed when they get there where at Center they are both starting equally from a standing start. Also while Cox has been knocked on his butt he has also knocked the other guys on their butts. Now with both Tackles hurt we have very few options. If we get one tackle back we put Ashley or Troxell at one of the tackle Positions and the other at Horton's position. If not Bailey at one tackle and Troxell or Ashley at the other and then either Troxell or Ashley at Right Guard for Horton. I am not sure what we can do at Center unless Irwin is ready.

What is scary we are about to see some really good D-Lines soon including at Nose Guard to take advantage of our weakness in the middle.

4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

The difference in Boobie and Cox is linebackers are already at full speed when they get there where at Center they are both starting equally from a standing start. Also while Cox has been knocked on his butt he has also knocked the other guys on their butts. Know with both Tackles hurt we have very few options. If we get one tackle back we put Ashley or Troxell at one of the tackle Positions and the other at Horton's position. If not Bailey at one tackle and Troxell or Ashley at the other and then either Troxell or Ashley at Right Guard for Horton. I am not sure what we can do at Center unless Irwin is ready.

What is scary we are about to see some really good D-Lines soon including at Nose Guard to take advantage of our weakness in the middle.

Agreed.  While MSU, UGA, and UA are not statistically as good against the run as Auburn is this season, they do not have to be.  UA, MSU and ATM have also shown the ability to get to the QB this season pretty well.

Besides the bad technique everybody has mentioned I also see O-Linemen especially Horton not being sure where he should go and who he should hit. It is almost like Horton is still doing what Hand said and the others are doing what Grimes said.

5 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Besides the bad technique everybody has mentioned I also see O-Linemen especially Horton not being sure where he should go and who he should hit. It is almost like Horton is still doing what Hand said and the others are doing what Grimes said.

Certainly after Spring Camp, Fall Camp, and into this part of the season Grimes could teach an experienced OL, that he evaluated and recruited, who his blocking assignment is.

This laying responsibility at the feet of Herb Hand thing I've seen as a meme over here is odd.  Texas has better rushing yardage, passing yardage, and has given up less sacks than Auburn has this season against FBS competition.

1 hour ago, OnthePlains said:

Apparently so did a good portion of our fan base...

Maybe because we have no voice or option as fans? We don’t hire and fire ?

Just now, autigeremt said:

Maybe because we have no voice or option as fans? We don’t hire and fire ?

Of course you have options.  Anyone spending a nickel on this football program is implicitly approving of this situation.  If people quit showing up for games and quit spending money on the program, the AD will react.  10k less ticket renewals would do wonders for the future of the program.

Just now, thrustmaxwell said:

Of course you have options.  Anyone spending a nickel on this football program is implicitly approving of this situation.  If people quit showing up for games and quit spending money on the program, the AD will react.  10k less ticket renewals would do wonders for the future of the program.

I won’t turn my back on the Auburn men who work hard to play this game. Stay home if you like. 

6 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

I won’t turn my back on the Auburn men who work hard to play this game. Stay home if you like. 

I'm not investing a 12 hour round trip and $1000 weekend to see the product that is being exhibited on the field.  Nor am I going to give my approval of this situation to the Athletic Department to encourage this nonsense from taking place one moment more than it has to.  If you think Gus is doing a great job and that Auburn should be encouraged to continue to let him run the program into the ground, then by all means that's your right.

I'm simply pointing out the myth that fans have no say in the matter is just that, a myth.   I feel that accepting the current situation without doing anything about it is turning my back on Auburn, not the other way around.

1 hour ago, thrustmaxwell said:

I'm not investing a 12 hour round trip and $1000 weekend to see the product that is being exhibited on the field.  Nor am I going to give my approval of this situation to the Athletic Department to encourage this nonsense from taking place one moment more than it has to.  If you think Gus is doing a great job and that Auburn should be encouraged to continue to let him run the program into the ground, then by all means that's your right.

I'm simply pointing out the myth that fans have no say in the matter is just that, a myth.   I feel that accepting the current situation without doing anything about it is turning my back on Auburn, not the other way around.

What exactly is the current situation? Jeez man, look at the coaches who came into the SEC when Malzahn did! Look at them! We have a coach who has had us in the top 4 twice, beaten our rival twice when they were number 1, had us play in a New Years 6 game the last two years, is recruiting at a higher level than at any point in our modern recruiting history, runs a clean program, doesn’t act like an idiot on social media, and most importantly has managed to do all of this during the single greatest 10 year run in college football history by our in state rival. Now don’t get me wrong. Gus frustrates the living hell out of me. And I do wish we would turn the corner as a program and become elite, but there are very few teams in the country right now who can say they have had at least the success we have for as long as we have had it. Bama, Georgia, and LSU are the only ones in the SEC. and there are like a total of 5 outside of the SEC. We as Auburn fans should always demand the best, but firing a coach who has been this successful and taking a shot on someone like a Tom Herman or a Kliff Kingsbury is not worth it and there just aren’t many elite coaches who are dying to leave their situation. 

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

What exactly is the current situation? Jeez man, luck at the coaches who came into the SEC when Malzahn did! Look at them! We have a coach who has had us in the top 4 twice, beaten our rival twice when they were number 1, had us play in a New Years 6 game the last two years, is recruiting at a higher level than at any point in our modern recruiting history, runs a clean program, doesn’t act like an idiot on social media, and most importantly has managed to do all of this during the single greatest 10 year run in college football history by our in state rival. Now don’t get me wrong. Gus frustrates the living hell out of me. And I do wish we would turn the corner as a program and become elite, but there are very few teams in the country right now who can say they have had at least the success we have for as long as we have had it. Bama, Georgia, and LSU are the only ones in the SEC. and there are like a total of 5 outside of the SEC. We as Auburn fans should always demand the best, but firing a coach who has been this successful and taking a shot on someone like a Tom Herman or a Kliff Kingsbury is not worth it and there just aren’t many elite coaches who are dying to leave their situation. 

Tom Herman would've been an incredible hire.  What would make you say otherwise?

1 minute ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Tom Herman would've been an incredible hire.  What would make you say otherwise?

What are you basing that claim on? We haven’t seen him even sniff the success Malzahn has had. Look at it this way. If the world was different and we were looking for a new coach this year and we looked around the country at what we could get and saw the following.......Veteran Coach in the toughest division in CFB, 7 coach of the year awards, coordinator of the year award, won 70 percent of his games, a national championship as a coordinator, NC appearance as a head coach, 5 conf championship appearances, 3 conf champs, 3 wins against number 1 teams, recruits every year in the top 15, players aren’t thugs. Now would you turn your nose up at that guy in favor of a young guy who has had so so success in his short career? I hope not. 

3 hours ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Certainly after Spring Camp, Fall Camp, and into this part of the season Grimes could teach an experienced OL, that he evaluated and recruited, who his blocking assignment is.

This laying responsibility at the feet of Herb Hand thing I've seen as a meme over here is odd.  Texas has better rushing yardage, passing yardage, and has given up less sacks than Auburn has this season against FBS competition.

I didn't mean it that way. I was saying that Horton seemed to be on a different page then the others. I wasn't blaming Hand for Horton seeming to be lost. I agree there has been plenty of time for an experienced linemen to learn any new blocking schemes and techniques.

58 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

What are you basing that claim on? We haven’t seen him even sniff the success Malzahn has had. Look at it this way. If the world was different and we were looking for a new coach this year and we looked around the country at what we could get and saw the following.......Veteran Coach in the toughest division in CFB, 7 coach of the year awards, coordinator of the year award, won 70 percent of his games, a national championship as a coordinator, NC appearance as a head coach, 5 conf championship appearances, 3 conf champs, 3 wins against number 1 teams, recruits every year in the top 15, players aren’t thugs. Now would you turn your nose up at that guy in favor of a young guy who has had so so success in his short career? I hope not. 

Would I take a coach who cut his teeth learning how to build a program under Mack Brown, David Bailiff, and Urban Meyer and shows the potential for a high upside over one who has so poorly managed his program that we struggle to beat the 3rd or 4th best team in CUSA in his 6th year as captain of the ship?  In a heartbeat.

38 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I didn't mean it that way. I was saying that Horton seemed to be on a different page then the others. I wasn't blaming Hand for Horton seeming to be lost. I agree there has been plenty of time for an experienced linemen to learn any new blocking schemes and techniques.

My apologies.  I've seen a strange pattern of people questioning if the OL isn't playing well because of Hand's coaching and misread your post.

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

What exactly is the current situation? Jeez man, look at the coaches who came into the SEC when Malzahn did! Look at them! We have a coach who has had us in the top 4 twice, beaten our rival twice when they were number 1, had us play in a New Years 6 game the last two years, is recruiting at a higher level than at any point in our modern recruiting history, runs a clean program, doesn’t act like an idiot on social media, and most importantly has managed to do all of this during the single greatest 10 year run in college football history by our in state rival. Now don’t get me wrong. Gus frustrates the living hell out of me. And I do wish we would turn the corner as a program and become elite, but there are very few teams in the country right now who can say they have had at least the success we have for as long as we have had it. Bama, Georgia, and LSU are the only ones in the SEC. and there are like a total of 5 outside of the SEC. We as Auburn fans should always demand the best, but firing a coach who has been this successful and taking a shot on someone like a Tom Herman or a Kliff Kingsbury is not worth it and there just aren’t many elite coaches who are dying to leave their situation. 

12-2 (if not for Miracle at Jordan Hare and Kick Six 10-4) 

8-5

7-6

8-5

10-4

several inexplicable losses where the offense went to crap

losses to beatable uga teams

1 bowl win (over Memphis)

2-4 against an LSU team that we actually have a better overall record than in this span & has had a coaching change) 

2-3 against uga and by all rights two of those losses were bad bad losses given the state uga was in

2-3 against the turds which is not bad and honestly I’ll take that given bama’s recent run

So 6-10 against the 3 teams you have to beat at Auburn to succeed and likely to be 6-12 at year end

20 losses over the last four years...my math tells me that is averaging 5 losses a year...not acceptable.

I’m not asking for a bama type run and quite frankly I’m not asking for a firing now but we can do better when the time comes if the PTB will get out of their own way.  When I became an Auburn fan very young Coach Dye was the man. I loved him. My son’s middle name is Patrick for a reason. I religiously watched the Auburn Football Review with Coach Pat Dye ( just read that in the tv guy’s voice as he promoted Golden Flake chips) and when we lost Dye would tell you what we did wrong and that it would get fixed. Rarely, rarely did we lose multiple times because of the same bone headed crap. If we lost it was usually because  the other team just plain whipped us. With Gus you feel like your watching the same thing over and over and over. 

Im not just down on Gus, I’m down on the Auburn mentality of hiring coaches who will never get us over the hump. Something has to change if Auburn wants to take another step up on the next hire but damned if I know what. 

I'll go ahead and apologize for this in advance... Quoting 12 posts, but I feel it's better to multi quote than have 10+ posts in a row from me, lol

On 10/1/2018 at 7:32 PM, Eagle-1 said:

If it is, maybe we can get some transtransfers from Jacksonville State or somewhere. That is awful! I didn't get to see the Southern Miss game, as I was traveling down to Florida for vacation. They are getting whipped literally by defensive lineman from a Conference USA team.

And don't forget about mighty Arkansas that had just been beat down by North Texas, and is unlikely to win another game, and their 4 sacks. 

On 10/1/2018 at 8:28 PM, IronMan70 said:

I view the replay on almost every game so I can watch the OL. It has become more and more concerning as the games ticked by and now it's game 6.  We're in a world of hurt unless we can find 5 guys with the necessary ability and find them fast.

This is always the case with a Gus coached team. It always takes 3 to 6 weeks for the offensive side of the ball to figure out what's going on. Here we are... And still dont have a clue on the OL. 

On 10/1/2018 at 8:44 PM, Martinisat5 said:

Is this where Tubby used to move a defencive lineman to offence?

Kinda like how Tega and Tashawn Manning were both moved from the DL to the OL, and how our other "Prince" was recruited by 90% of his offers as a DL... 

On 10/2/2018 at 8:34 AM, Shady Hollow AU said:

Grimes previous statements about Hand may be true.

Texas O line doesn't seem to be quite as clueless.

Would blaming Grimes for this mess be inappropriate?

Texas OL doesn't look as clueless. But Hand hasn't had much time to work his "magic" with them. Give him time. It (Texas OL) will start to look familiar. 

On 10/2/2018 at 8:40 AM, McLoofus said:

Where is the problem? I've got you. Please reference my illustrated guide entitled "Where the Problem Is":

image.png

I see what ya did there. AND it's funny... It's true... Sad but true... 

On 10/2/2018 at 9:15 AM, ArgoEagle said:

I agree that the o line is our biggest problem, but is not our only problem on offense.

Stidham just does not fit Gus offensive philosophy. We made it work last year and be effective bc we had an NFL caliber rb in Kerrion. We saw that when  he went down last year, our offense went from being great to being mediocre at best. With the absence of that stud rb this year and a weak ol, Stidham looks like an average qb. We would need a true dt qb this year to offset the bad play of the ol and not having a rb the caliber of kj.

Unfortunately Gus is too stubborn to see where the weaknesses are and change them, and our coaches just seem to not be able to coach their positions well. An example of this is our receivers seem not to be able to get separation and also don't seem to know to come back toward js when he is scrambling; they instead just give up on their routes.

It is a very undisciplined team (penalties tell the story on this), and poorly coached on offense.

Because I don't have any confidence in Gus to figure out and fix all these problems, I believe we lose a minimum of 3 more reg. season games this year.  Sad for a $49 million coach.

Gus got into college coaching because of his success as Springdale HS. His last super "class" at Springdale was headed by one Mitch Mustain, who is much more Jarrett Stidham than Nick Marshall. 

And the 2013 offense won't work anymore... Know what attacking the mesh point is? If so, you know why that offense won't work, if not, check into it... 

On 10/2/2018 at 11:21 AM, fredst said:

Gus also thought Jeremy Johnson was ready to be a world-beater at QB so....

To be fair, everyone thought JJ6 was a world beater. The media created the JJ6 for Heisman crap and Gus not only bought into it, he did nothing to stop it/slow it down. 

Apparently JJ6 looked like Tom Brady during practice, but like the Raiders JaMarcus Russell on GameDay. 

On 10/2/2018 at 1:17 PM, IronMan70 said:

Yeah, it's pretty obvious we need to run the ball better. When CCL was asked about run blocking in his presser his response was, "we have to do better with that." When you listen to a Coach Steele presser, he knows exactly what is wrong in a given game and can say how he will fix it. CCL should be able to say what he thinks is wrong with the OL and how he will fix it. Most people would be spitting nails about their OL by now. There's a big difference in the two coordinators.

What's he supposed to say? Hello, I'm Chip and I'm a hamstrung OC who has absolutely no control over my own offense? 

Because that's what he would say if he was being honest. 

6 hours ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Thank you Mr. Jacobs, I hope retirement is treating you well.

JJ now is employed by the University of Florida AD in some compacity. Not exactly sure how that works with retirement. 

5 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

Kind of like James Franklin said after this weekends loss? I sure wish Gus would take accountability like that. 

4 hours ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Again (not to you but again in this post) Hand hasn't had time to work his dark magic on them yet. Stay tuned... History repeats itself... 

3 hours ago, thrustmaxwell said:

I agree. The fans sure had a say in the last Tennessee hiring. If the fan base is pissed ENOUGH, then ANYTHING could happen. 

13 hours ago, thrustmaxwell said:

They're better than us, but they aren't better statistically through 5 games than they were last year on average despite getting their starting QB back. I don't know what their talent situation is, but it's possible that he just hasn't had a chance to break them yet. Also, would you say that our recruiting at OL was good while he was here? Was our OL one of the better units in the league at any point while he was here?

I'm not trying to say that Grimes is good enough- it's clear now that he's not- but Hand didn't exactly leave the cupboard full. 

12 hours ago, thrustmaxwell said:

If you think Gus is doing a great job and that Auburn should be encouraged to continue to let him run the program into the ground

Change "program" to "offense" and you're onto something. Don't overstate what is going on. Our defense, special teams and off-field situation are all in damned good shape. 

Of course, maybe none of that matters with this putrid offense. 

9 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

12-2 (if not for Miracle at Jordan Hare and Kick Six 10-4) 

8-5

7-6

8-5

10-4

several inexplicable losses where the offense went to crap

losses to beatable uga teams

1 bowl win (over Memphis)

2-4 against an LSU team that we actually have a better overall record than in this span & has had a coaching change) 

2-3 against uga and by all rights two of those losses were bad bad losses given the state uga was in

2-3 against the turds which is not bad and honestly I’ll take that given bama’s recent run

So 6-10 against the 3 teams you have to beat at Auburn to succeed and likely to be 6-12 at year end

20 losses over the last four years...my math tells me that is averaging 5 losses a year...not acceptable.

I’m not asking for a bama type run and quite frankly I’m not asking for a firing now but we can do better when the time comes if the PTB will get out of their own way.  When I became an Auburn fan very young Coach Dye was the man. I loved him. My son’s middle name is Patrick for a reason. I religiously watched the Auburn Football Review with Coach Pat Dye ( just read that in the tv guy’s voice as he promoted Golden Flake chips) and when we lost Dye would tell you what we did wrong and that it would get fixed. Rarely, rarely did we lose multiple times because of the same bone headed crap. If we lost it was usually because  the other team just plain whipped us. With Gus you feel like your watching the same thing over and over and over. 

Im not just down on Gus, I’m down on the Auburn mentality of hiring coaches who will never get us over the hump. Something has to change if Auburn wants to take another step up on the next hire but damned if I know what. 

Look I certainly don’t think Gus has succeeded enough for us to get comfortable and complacent as a fan base, but I’m looking at the landscape of college football right now and here’s what I see. Saban, Urban, Dabo, and possibly Smart, Riley, and Peterson. And then there is everyone else. Either a bunch of veterans who are average or young guys who could go either way. Those 6 I named aren’t going anywhere. So we with take a shot on a young guy and it works or we end up like Tennessee. Or we keep our slightly above average guy. I’d love to make a splash hire and get a Herm Edwards or John Gruden. But I just don’t see it happening. The LSU losses and poor showing in bowls are what bothers me. That needs to be fixed. But I can’t expect the guy to hobble into Athens and Tuscaloosa and win at the end of every season. We as Auburn got screwed with our scheduling with those two.. 

Archived