Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs Southern Miss

JMR

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JMR said:

The unpleasant thought crossed my mind in the days immediately following this game that it may be too late to get this offensive line on track. After watching this game carefully, I don’t believe that has to be true. Many of the problems are correctable, and go back to fundamentals.

Maybe...and I hope you're right.

I would like to know why we don't throw the ball to Sal Canella more. He is a foot taller then most guys out there with arms as long as I am tall. J.S. could throw short passes way high and this guy could be making some great plays. Just like the the first TD against WA.... Not to mention he is wide open in almost every play it seems.

I wish he would score a huge TD, rip his helmet off and head bang to an air guitar with that hair of his. 

7 hours ago, L I G E R said:

I don’t doubt he could have a long, successful pro career, but the whole “I believe in Auburn and love it” and “he’s the best QB in the nation” was just laying it on a bit too thick, IMO.

Apologies if you weren’t trolling, but it certainly checked all the boxes.

how do you know it  is not some kid?  good grief.

8 hours ago, Flat Stanley said:

I like your optimism, but I think we will find out quickly on Saturday we are in trouble without Whitlow. 

It's not about the backs.  Any and all of our backs would be very serviceable behind an average line.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

It's not about the backs.  Any and all of our backs would be very serviceable behind an average line.

They're below average for SEC backs. I mean our "starter" was a 2 star WR when recruited. 

4 minutes ago, Flat Stanley said:

They're below average for SEC backs. I mean our "starter" was a 2 star WR when recruited. 

You don't know that at all. Put Damien Harris behind this OL and what would he look like? Put Kam or Boobee behind UA, UGA, UK, LSU OL and what would they look like.  You can't show what you can do when constantly getting hit in the backfield or having to hurdle your center who has been knocked on his back.  Zero push and zero lanes will make any back look pedestrian.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Flat Stanley said:

I don’t think you are qualified to make that determination. Those backs are well above average.

You don't know that at all. Put Damien Harris behind this OL and what would he look like? Put Kam or Boobee behind UA, UGA, UK, LSU OL and what would they look like.  You can't show what you can do when constantly getting hit in the backfield or having to hurdle your center who has been knocked on his back.  Zero push and zero lanes will make any back look pedestrian.

Regardless of the line, do we have a RB on the same level as D. Harris?

I agree with this.  Our RBs are very average.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, L I G E R said:

JMR:  Can I get your honest thoughts on JB Grimes as an all-around OL coach?

I personally think he’s the best “technician” in the country and a better than average recruiter who should have our OL whipped into shape within the next 4-5 years.  

IMO, our current situation is 100% Herb Hand’s fault and has nothing to do with JBG’s first tenure at AU.

What do you think you see?

I am tempted to blame Hand as well. Hand has a poor history as a player developer, and Grimes has a stronger record as a player developer.

In terms of pure talent, we are above average. Many of our 2-deep are rated at least 4 star by one of the recruiting services.

Can Grimes turn this around?

8 minutes ago, meh130 said:

I am tempted to blame Hand as well. Hand has a poor history as a player developer, and Grimes has a stronger record as a player developer.

In terms of pure talent, we are above average. Many of our 2-deep are rated at least 4 star by one of the recruiting services.

Can Grimes turn this around?

Why blame Hand.  Hand didn't hire himself.  Above average in the SEC?  No, hahaha.

Also, no.  He can't turn this around.  He's as responsible for this OL situation as anyone besides Gus.

Edited by thrustmaxwell

15 minutes ago, meh130 said:

IMO they were over rated, people put to much stock in those recruiting services . But they may still become good players with more time and coaching.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Agree on running the ball but not on pass protection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flat Stanley said:

Regardless of the line, do we have a RB on the same level as D. Harris?

Doubtful, but no one really knows because the line is so bad.

• Like 1

How are you qualified to determine if they are well above average?

I've coached against one of them

• Like 2

Once again, regardless of line, do we have a RB on the same level as Bryce Love?

You don't know if we do or don't

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I've coached against one of them

If you're talking about BOOBEE, I agree he's above average.  Asa is definitely above average, though I still cringe at the Caddy comparisons until I see him earn them.  Malik Miller is a HB and Kam Martin would tear it up at Jacksonville State.

3 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

If you're talking about BOOBEE, I agree he's above average.  Asa is definitely above average, though I still cringe at the Caddy comparisons until I see him earn them.  Malik Miller is a HB and Kam Martin would tear it up at Jacksonville State.

Kam would tear it up with the line we had last year as well as any other OL in the conference

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Kam would tear it up with the line we had last year as well as any other OL in the conference

You might be right.  I don't feel strongly enough about it to argue.  He certainly is capable of being 1000 yard back behind a normal OL, but that's not saying what it used to before the 12th game and bowl stats counting.

• Like 1

Hopefully before the season is over. I will get to watch an entire game where one of our O-Linemen is not put on his backside. I understand it happening to a running back but not one of the grinders.