Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs Southern Miss

JMR

12 hours ago, 2010champs said:

I do love Auburn, probably too much at times. I’ve got a feeling we are gonna finish 10-2 this year. This offense has the potential to be elite.

Wow, just wow!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do not know how good any of the backs can be because they are all getting their first "starts" behind a well below average offensive line. 

You can't compare any of our backs with any other back in the nation because of our OL..   go out and find an OL that is playing as bad as our OL and compare those backs to our backs.. that is a fair assessment (but I think it would be hard to find an OL that is playing that bad.. probably have to go down to high school level) .. other than that.. it is ridiculous to ask if we have a running back that is as good as.... ___ (fill in the blank) 

• Love 1

44 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Wow, just wow!

I do not believe one poster has ever given me so much reason to ignore everything they ever have to say due to one post in my entire life.  That one was a doozy though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Beenjammin said:

I would like to know why we don't throw the ball to Sal Canella more. He is a foot taller then most guys out there with arms as long as I am tall. J.S. could throw short passes way high and this guy could be making some great plays. Just like the the first TD against WA.... Not to mention he is wide open in almost every play it seems.

I wish he would score a huge TD, rip his helmet off and head bang to an air guitar with that hair of his. 

He had 3 catches last game.

20 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Probably the most in one game for an AU TE since Lutz.

Unfortunately true.  ☹️

23 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Probably the most in one game for an AU TE since Lutz.

Except Sal's not a TE anymore.

Edited by The Freak
spellerings
  • Like 1

OL had what? 20 starts between the 5 of them heading into the season? This is what that looks like. Most of our RBs are young, or inexperienced. Kam Martin, and our team, would've been better for it if Gus would've let him get some freaking touches instead of forcing KJ the rock so many times. 

This is essentially the nightmare scenario some of us touched on before the season started. Poor OL play derailing everything. It hasn't derailed quite everything yet but it's certainly derailed the entire O. QB looks like a shell of himself. RBs cant run because of poor blocking. QBs and WRs can't get in sync bc of quick drives. It won't be much longer with these types of performances on O until the D caves in due to exhaustion or just tired of getting no help from the O. They are holding this entire ship together right now. Major props to Kevin Steele and his side of the staff.

Edited by Tiger
typo
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, The Freak said:

He had 3 catches last game.

When I saw the rain at the end of the 1st. I gathered the kids up and we left. So I missed a good bit of everything after the mid second qtr. I was disappointed buy the offensive play at that point also. I would like to see more plays to him in the future.

I still feel this was how FL St. beat us in 2013. The kept hitting the same receiver that was a good ft taller then our defender using short passes. Not hail marys. 

1 hour ago, thrustmaxwell said:

I do not believe one poster has ever given me so much reason to ignore everything they ever have to say due to one post in my entire life.  That one was a doozy though.

I know what I am talking about. I’ve actually coached football before. Have you?

Thanks JMR, we always look forward to your comments!  I sure hope the OL can get their act together!  We ain’t winning a whole lot from here on out without them!  

16 hours ago, JMR said:

I feel like the entire secondary has made noteworthy progress since the opening game.

Even since the LSU game I feel like it's been amazing progress.

16 hours ago, JMR said:

Chandler Cox played very well again. Cox has been a more integral part of this team than most casual fans realize. He isn’t perfect, but he plays the game the way it should be played….all out, all the time. I’m glad he came to Auburn.

Agreed, wish we used him better in previous seasons. He's a gamer.

16 hours ago, JMR said:

Everyone is aware of the barrage of penalties Auburn continues to incur game after game. Marquel Harrell had two false starts, and Horton had one. It’s easy to understand false starts in an away stadium, with the crowd noise and all, but how do you have false start problems in your own stadium?

I noticed we are trying to change up our clap count. Might be hurting our own guys who are so used to going on that first snap. When they're struggling they're likely even more tense as well.

17 hours ago, JMR said:

I thought Jarrett Stidham improved some in the pocket this week.

I actually agree. The more the line improves the more he'll trust them. Right now he's like a dog who has been kicked one too many times.

17 hours ago, JMR said:

But then I saw him run a three-yard hitch on a third-and-six, and decided he may not be as sharp as I thought.

Is it his call how deep he runs the route? 

17 hours ago, JMR said:

Austin Troxell

Might be better off on the inside while he's still learning.

2 hours ago, 2010champs said:

I know what I am talking about. I’ve actually coached football before. Have you?

No, haven't coached a lick.  However I've watched and studied the game for 35 years and can tell you, without doubt, that this offensive line and the injuries we've already had will not produce a 10-2 season.  It's the worst OL play I've seen since 2012, if not further back.  I have watched USM all season, and have watched them practice, and we should've been able to man up and whip their DL.  I'd kill for 5 Robert Leff's right now.

Edited by thrustmaxwell
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

No, haven't coached a lick.  However I've watched and studied the game for 35 years and can tell you, without doubt, that this offensive line and the injuries we've already had will not produce a 10-2 season.  It's the worst OL play I've seen since 2012, if not further back.  I have watched USM all season, and have watched them practice, and we should've been able to man up and whip their DL.  I'd kill for 5 Robert Leff's right now.

You don’t coach, but you sit around studying the game? Interesting! Did you read “football for dummies”? Do you DVR games and rewatch them? Exactly how do you study the game? I can’t wait to read this BS.

• Facepalm 1

Just now, 2010champs said:

You don’t coach, but you sit around studying the game? Interesting! Did you read “football for dummies”? Do you DVR games and rewatch them? Exactly how do you study the game? I can’t wait to read this BS.

LOL.  A glorified PE coach is going to give me crap about my knowledge of the game while holding this OL up against championship caliber teams.  This day just keeps getting better.

1 minute ago, thrustmaxwell said:

LOL.  A glorified PE coach is going to give me crap about my knowledge of the game while holding this OL up against championship caliber teams.  This day just keeps getting better.

You didn’t answer the question. 

3 minutes ago, 2010champs said:

You didn’t answer the question. 

Played the game, read a ton of books, watched a couple 1000 games, hung out with college coaches and picked their brains, etc.  I never coached PE though, so I guess I don't know anything about football.

Edited by thrustmaxwell

18 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Played the game, read a ton of books, watched a couple 1000 games, hung out with college coaches and picked their brains, etc.  I never coached PE though, so I guess I don't know anything about football.

I’ve never coached PE and I’m not a school teacher. Your trying to insult someone by calling them a PE coach? LMAO! Did you come up with that all by yourself or did you have help?

10 minutes ago, 2010champs said:

I’ve never coached PE and I’m not a school teacher. Your trying to insult someone by calling them a PE coach? LMAO! Did you come up with that all by yourself or did you have help?

Imma put this conversation on hold until we go 10-2. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Noob Fight!!!!

tenor.gif

I'm out of likes so I'll just let you know I chuckled ?  FTR though, I'm not really a newb.  I've posted over here under a half dozen usernames in the last 6-8 years. 

Edited by thrustmaxwell

• WarTiger changed the title to Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs Southern Miss

Hmmm. Wonder what kind of odds Vegas would offer on Auburn going 10-2? Not trying to take sides in this quarrel, but this offense with this line wouldn't have a chance to be elite if Cam was the QB, and Bo Jackson was the RB. 

On 10/2/2018 at 10:08 PM, 2010champs said:

I do love Auburn, probably too much at times. I’ve got a feeling we are gonna finish 10-2 this year. This offense has the potential to be elite.

Not sure if serious... 

But ok thanks man...

It's nice when a new(Er) poster makes completely idiotic statement that really says ignore everything I've said or ever will say. 

Well done. You've done it. 

You say you've coached football? At what level? Pop Warner? Because saying this offense, under these circumstances (OL play) has ANY chance to be elite and saying you expect to finish 10-2, beat A&M, and one of Bama or UGA this season says you don't really know much about football. Our defense will keep us in every game not named Bama, but if things don't get worked out... And fast... We will be headed to the Birmingham bowl again... IF WE ARE LUCKY. 

@JMR great review. You aren't being negative when you tell it like it is. 

• Thanks 1