Who are the top 10 coaches in CFB?

gr82b4au

10 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Sorry, but Gus does not make the list.

You are probably correct but who would you add? I guess Jimbo since he won a title at FSU. 

35 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I would put 

Chris Petersen and Chip Kelly in top 10

I agree with Peterson, but no way does Kelly belong in the top ten right now.

It's too early to include him, but Lincoln Riley looks like the real deal. 

The locks for me are:

Saban
Meyer
Swinney
Shaw
Peterson
Fisher
Franklin

After that, I'd have a grab bag on the following:

Smart
Riley (same thought on both of those guys ... I actually think they both belong on the top list, but they have very little track record)
Mullen
Malzahn (may not like it, but he knows how to build a program ... we're loaded with talent and a perennial contender in the SEC)
Stoops (that's been a steady build)

Next level, for me:

Chip Kelly (based on past record)
Orgeron (need to see a track record, but he's a different guy)
Gundy
Brian Kelly
Herman
Frost (Herman and Frost are the same for me ... success at lower level; need to see it at higher level)

just goes to show there are very few great coaches. The top three are there because why? They know how to manipulate the system.

and two of them learned from the first one.

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

You are probably correct but who would you add? I guess Jimbo since he won a title at FSU. 

I would much rather Jimbo than Gus. Auburn would be getting a better return on that 49 mil. 

Once upon a time, I would agree. Now? No chance I'd trade for him. Even if I'm frustrated with Gus.

13 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Bill Snyder should be there somewhere.

As an all-timer yes.  KSU IS Bill Snyder.

But I believe the question is current (like who would you replace Gus with?) coaches.  Bill Snyder just sorta stands around chewing his lower lip now.  I think he's sorta like the Queen of England...just a figurehead, at this point.

4 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Saban
Meyer
Swinney
Shaw
Peterson
Fisher
Franklin

After that, I'd have a grab bag on the following:

Smart
Riley (same thought on both of those guys ... I actually think they both belong on the top list, but they have very little track record)
Mullen

This would be my list, with Stoops and Malzahn both having a good chance to unseat Fisher. And if Gus had beaten Fisher in 2013, he'd already be there. 

13 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Saban

Meyer

Dabo

Fisher

Gus

Smart

Riley

Petersen

Chryst

Richt

others of note

Fuente

Franklin

Herman

Frost

Leach

Strong

Kiffin

I like your list.  Maybe not in that exact order, but pretty much the same names. I'd move Franklin up to the first list and Right down. I'd also add Dana Holgorsen to the bottom of your list.  

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I like your list.  Maybe not in that exact order, but pretty much the same names. I'd move Franklin up to the first list and Right down. I'd also add Dana Holgorsen to the bottom of your list.  

I forgot my man I'm 40... Gundy as well.   

1. Saban

2. Meyer

3. Dabo

4. Fisher

5. Petersen

6. Franklin

7. Smart

8. Riley

9. Patterson

10. Shaw

11. Chryst

12. Richt

13. Dantonio

14. Malzahn

15. Fuente

Honorable mention:

1. Mike Leach

2. Dan Mullen

3. Brian Kelly

4. Dana Holgorsen

5. Mike Gundy

14 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Dabo feels on that level to me, but he’s only done it one place. So I get it. 

Agree. 

Of all of them, he's the guy I would trade Gus for in a heartbeat. And then they'd be Auburn with a lake and we'd be Clemson with Clemson's coach. 

Here’s a shocker,  think Meyer is a better coach than Saban. Saban doesn’t win without our talent-ing you. Might be others I’d rank ahead like Peterson and Patterson as well.

Funny.....a few years ago, Bobby Petrino was on everyone's list as a wanted coach, even after his Arkansas debacle....now he is on nobody's list and Louisville would like to get rid of him and apparently can't afford to do so.   Coaching fame can be fleeting...and it's expensive when a school makes the wrong decision. 

Two questions:     

1. Which of those top 10 or 15 coaches will be at a new school next season?

2.  Who are the coaches of major schools most likely to be fired by the end of the year?  

I'm guessing that all  SEC coaches will still be around since half or more are relatively new at their schools and still have some honeymoon period left with their fans. 

Archived