Starting to think

The Plainsman

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

This is absurd. Absolute lunacy....delirium caused by present circumstances. 

Yeah. Your probably right.  But dang if Gus has not found himself in a cluster. 

17 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Yeah. Your probably right.  But dang if Gus has not found himself in a cluster. 

Gus has been the opposite of Chizik in terms of how to run a *program*. We have discipline and character and accountability and heart. Our defense and special teams get better every year. 

However, I frequently have to remind people who criticize Scot Loeffler that our offense SUUUUUUUCKED under Gus in 2011. Up until now, I've chalked that up mostly to Chizik's inability to control his locker room or lead in general. Rethinking that now. 

On 10/6/2018 at 8:23 PM, The Plainsman said:

The great Chizik Collapse was actually on Gus.  

Before you reply,  think about it for a moment. 

On 10/6/2018 at 9:02 PM, War to the Eagle said:

Nope.

At least in part yep. @WarDamnEagleWDE posted on this a few months ago. Could be wrong but I believe he said some of the decisions Chiz made was to kind of shield some of Gus's weaknesses.

33 minutes ago, ellitor said:

At least in part yep. @WarDamnEagleWDE posted on this a few months ago. Could be wrong but I believe he said some of the decisions Chiz made was to kind of shield some of Gus's weaknesses.

Auburn is Auburn's own worst enemy. I'm starting to think no coach can ever be successful here. The way our fan base is and what we're dealing with across the state, a coach seems doomed the minute he signs on the dotted line. 

2 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

Auburn is Auburn's own worst enemy. I'm starting to think no coach can ever be successful here. The way our fan base is and what we're dealing with across the state, a coach seems doomed the minute he signs on the dotted line. 

We can’t handle Saban and Tua right now anyway. We can keep our program running smoothly by building a football only center, continue to give our facilities nice upgrades, and giving Pearl a fatter contract. It’s time to accept Gus as ours. If we buy out that contract,  our AD will be severely set back. Bring the 7-8 win seasons on, baby. Woo!!!

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Chiz made Gus, I can't make this up, slow down his offense and be a little more conservative. Had Wayne Bolt sitting in the offensive meetings. Main reason Gus left for Arkie State so quick instead of waiting on a bigger job. Chiz meddling with his offense. Now Gus is Chiz on steroids with meddling. It's amazing. 

4 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

That is nonsense. Our fanbase is no different from all of the other big school fan bases. I see no problem in wanting more and being a consentant football program. 

46 minutes ago, bg5 said:

I guess my question at this point it is, Is the problem the OC or Gus?

IMO based on what I know and have been told, it's on Gus. He's the one who has made promises about things he hasn't kept. He's the one who continues to meddle in the offense. He's the one who chose a guy to be OC who didn't have a similar philosophy to him that is now causing a rift in the offense. He's the one who said Stidham would have more freedom and said we were one of 5-6 national championship contenders. It's on Gus because Gus isn't doing and hasn't done what he said he was going to do with regards to the offense.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

That is nonsense. Our fanbase is no different from all of the other big school fan bases. I see no problem in wanting more and being a consentant football program. 

I don't think it's nonsense to some degree. We do have a complex and we need another Pat Dye type to restart the program. Look the turds in the eye and smack them. 

2 hours ago, autigeremt said:

I don't think it's nonsense to some degree. We do have a complex and we need another Pat Dye type to restart the program. Look the turds in the eye and smack them. 

Dye was his own boss... AD and Head football coach.  He was 6-6 against Bama (Bear 2 years, Ray Perkins, and Bill Curry).  Gus is 2-3 against Bama (Saban).  I'd say under the current circumstances a 26-14 w last year was kind of looking them in the eye.  

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Dye was his own boss... AD and Head football coach.  He was 6-6 against Bama (Bear 2 years, Ray Perkins, and Bill Curry).  Gus is 2-3 against Bama (Saban).  I'd say under the current circumstances a 26-14 w last year was kind of looking them in the eye.  

Not talking about just the Iron Bowl. I’m talking about toe to toe regionally and nationally. The run they are on is caustic to this program and fan base and the only way to create change is to change the narrative.

Do you really think we are going to play even with them come November? When was the last time (outside of Auburn) that ua dropped an egg? Ole Miss two seasons ago? We shouldn’t be losing the way we’ve been losing since last years Iron Bowl. 

7 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

No coach stands a chance at AU...hasn't since Dye. And no coach has gone out on his own terms here since...the 50s? Ever?

8 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Chiz made Gus, I can't make this up, slow down his offense and be a little more conservative. Had Wayne Bolt sitting in the offensive meetings. Main reason Gus left for Arkie State so quick instead of waiting on a bigger job. Chiz meddling with his offense. Now Gus is Chiz on steroids with meddling. It's amazing. 

I knew all that but you also posted something a few months ago that something to the affect of  some of his meddling appeared to be needed after all.

1 hour ago, War to the Eagle said:

No coach stands a chance at AU

So the elites (Saban, Meyer, Dabo, maybe Kirby in time) don't stand a chance?   Riiiiiiiiiiiight!

Auburn is a tough job & needs an elite HC to win big, especially when Bama & UGA are rolling but it can be done. Reality is we have never had an elite coach for an extended period of time and that's what we need.

17 hours ago, ellitor said:

So the elites (Saban, Meyer, Dabo, maybe Kirby in time) don't stand a chance?   Riiiiiiiiiiiight!

Auburn is a tough job & needs an elite HC to win big, especially when Bama & UGA are rolling but it can be done. Reality is we have never had an elite coach for an extended period of time and that's what we need.

Ok you named the 2 elite coaches in the Business... Saban and Meyer and they aren't leaving where they are to come to AU.  Dabo has done a fantastic job but he's also had a lot of breaks go his way... Spurrier leaving SC, FSU being down, a weak Miami, Beamer leaving VT... and landed a very good player in Watson.  He's definitely in the second tier in the coaching world and would be a 9-3 coach at AU.  Kirby has everything he needs to succeed long term.   Maybe he will maybe he won't....  Plus he's at home now.  When GT ever decides to go with a real football program and away from Paul Johnson maybe the Atlanta area will have another rival recruiter in the area.  

58 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Dabo has done a fantastic job but he's also had a lot of breaks go his way... Spurrier leaving SC, FSU being down, a weak Miami, Beamer leaving VT... and landed a very good player in Watson.  He's definitely in the second tier in the coaching world and would be a 9-3 coach at AU. 

Can't believe you just excused down Dabo like that. I'm not on the Dabo hype train but any HC who gets his team to the playoffs 3 straight years & the title game 2 of those 3 while winning one over Nick & his stacked talent is an elite coach, regardless of the circumstances that may have benefited him, and it's not really debatable. I strongly believe the Dabo of now would do better than 9-3 at AU for a couple major factors. 1. As solid of recruiting Gus & his staff have done overall, Dabo & company are just flat out better. 2 Dabo & co. are much better at talent retention & development.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

When GT ever decides to go with a real football program and away from Paul Johnson maybe the Atlanta area will have another rival recruiter in the area.  

Maybe but not enough to make a real dent on Kirby in the recruiting trail.

44 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Can't believe you just excused down Dabo like that. I'm not on the Dabo hype train but any HC who gets his team to the playoffs 3 straight years & the title game 2 of those 3 while winning one over Nick & his stacked talent is an elite coach, regardless of the circumstances that may have benefited him, and it's not really debatable. I strongly believe the Dabo of now would do better than 9-3 at AU for a couple major factors. 1. As solid of recruiting Gus & his staff have done overall, Dabo & company are just flat out better. 2 Dabo & co. are much better at talent retention & development.

Maybe but not enough to make a real dent on Kirby in the recruiting trail.

Dabo will probably get there this year as well but if he were in the SEC his team would be a 4 loss team.  

Its a lot easier to develop talent when you are up every game and able to freely substitute.  You’ll see the big boys make a come back in the ACC and Dabo will fall back to a normal coach.  

55 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Dabo will probably get there this year as well but if he were in the SEC his team would be a 4 loss team.  

Its a lot easier to develop talent when you are up every game and able to freely substitute.  You’ll see the big boys make a come back in the ACC and Dabo will fall back to a normal coach.  

Jimbo won 3 straight ACC titles from 2012-2014. Once Jameis Winston left, FSU went down and Clemson only got better. Clemson has won at least 10+ games since 2011. Dabo outlasted Jimbo's run at FSU.  Richt has revived Miami and made them somewhat relevant but Clemson is still the best team in the ACC. It's not Dabo's fault that the other ACC programs haven't been consistent and have had to hire new HC's. 

I don't get why some people refuse to give Dabo the credit he's earned. Chad Morris left Clemson after 2014 and Clemson's offense actually got better. I'm sure some people thought once Morris left Clemson that their offense would slide because it was Morris who helped spark Clemson's run of 10+ win seasons in 2011. Dabo fired Kevin Steele in 2011 despite going 10-4 and winning the ACC. He brought in  Brent Venables from Oklahoma and Clemson's defense improved. Dabo's not an idiot. He's annoying because he likes to run his mouth every game and spout statistics all night long but the guy's a great coach.. When he took Clemson to the NC in 2015, even though Clemson came up short against Alabama, I started buying into Dabo. 

2 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I don't get why some people refuse to give Dabo the credit he's earned.

Because he's an ex-Bammer and looks and talks like freak'in Gomer Pyle.  Tahj Boyd, Watson, Kelly, and now Lawrence sure don't hurt your program either.  But, he recruited them, developed them, not to mention their other top notch players.  He ain't dropping off anytime soon.  I don't like him nor his cousin Goober (Jimbo Fisher), but they produce.

Dabo, despite his comments in 2011, has proven to be a great coach. His players love him and would run through a block wall for him. 

Archived