Starting to think

The Plainsman

On 10/9/2018 at 5:09 PM, ellitor said:

Can't believe you just excused down Dabo like that. I'm not on the Dabo hype train but any HC who gets his team to the playoffs 3 straight years & the title game 2 of those 3 while winning one over Nick & his stacked talent is an elite coach, regardless of the circumstances that may have benefited him, and it's not really debatable. I strongly believe the Dabo of now would do better than 9-3 at AU for a couple major factors. 1. As solid of recruiting Gus & his staff have done overall, Dabo & company are just flat out better. 2 Dabo & co. are much better at talent retention & development.

Maybe but not enough to make a real dent on Kirby in the recruiting trail.

Dabo has risen while his direct competition has been struggling:  USC has been down, FSU had a very nice run, but struggled mightily after 2013 and that pretty much marks when Clemson began their strong recruiting classes.  GT &  UM have  been struggling a long time and UF whom they also recruit against has been way down.  So with nobody in the conference to really challenge them other than FSU who have struggled since 2014, Dabo has quietly built  a super strong program without getting beat up every 3rd or 4th week.    I can't even name all the teams in his conference.

He can coach circles around Gus and his staff can out-recruit, but he would avg 9-10 wins per year at Auburn.  Not 11 because he also has a propensity to struggle against the likes of an NC St or BC (?)  here and there.  I love Dabo and heard him talk during a football camp, but I cap it at 10 wins (which is a huge upgrade), but the difference - it would be a strong 9-10 wins EVERY year I think with the occasional 11-12 because of better coaching and recruits.

I sure agree with E this time and when you look at regional competition, it is easy to see how he built a powerhouse. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/8/2018 at 9:16 PM, War to the Eagle said:

No coach stands a chance at AU...hasn't since Dye. And no coach has gone out on his own terms here since...the 50s? Ever?

Shug set his own retirement. He may have been nudged, but I don't think he was pushed out.

On 10/8/2018 at 10:16 PM, War to the Eagle said:

No coach stands a chance at AU...hasn't since Dye. And no coach has gone out on his own terms here since...the 50s? Ever?

You forgot Tuberville who beat bammer 6 years or was it 7 years in a row. Once Saban departs, bammer will drop a notch or 2 back into the mix in the SEC West. Very few teams in the SEC have beaten Saban in the past years. Us and OM are the only teams who have done this. You can win at Auburn and can compete in the SEC West.

We need to get out of the SEC West and move to the East. We would be at UGAs throat every season. Put Mizzou in the West since they are hundreds of miles west of us. If Gus does not get it done by the end of the 2019 season, we will likely have a new coach coming our way. I want nothing more than for Gus to start back winning big more than anyone on this site. 

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

You forgot Tuberville who beat bammer 6 years or was it 7 years in a row.

6 but let's not act like it was a big accomplishment. Most of them were against Mike Shula who only got that & most of his jobs through his career because his daddy was Don Shula. Other than 2004 the Iron Bowl win was not a stepping stone to bigger & better things during that stretch like it should be

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

We need to get out of the SEC West and move to the East.

Not going to happen barring the conference adding OU & Okie St..

53 minutes ago, ellitor said:

6 but let's not act like it was a big accomplishment. 

Beating Bama 6x in a row is always a big accomplishment. I don’t care what the circumstances were or who was coaching. 

On 10/8/2018 at 10:18 AM, War to the Eagle said:

Auburn is Auburn's own worst enemy. I'm starting to think no coach can ever be successful here. The way our fan base is and what we're dealing with across the state, a coach seems doomed the minute he signs on the dotted line. 

Where's that dang dotted line?  Sign me up!! I wish I could be "doomed" to the tune of $49,000,000.00.....

On 10/8/2018 at 9:18 AM, War to the Eagle said:

Auburn is Auburn's own worst enemy. I'm starting to think no coach can ever be successful here. The way our fan base is and what we're dealing with across the state, a coach seems doomed the minute he signs on the dotted line. 

Don't give up.

Even with this current disaster in waiting, we have won a NC dis decade and played for another.

And looking at Alabama, it was purely luck they got Saban and what he ended up doing. 

After Bear died, they won 1 NC under Stallings (super great D was was did it). 

Their other coaches? Perkins, Curry, Dubose, Franchione,  Price, Shula. So that was a 20 year period they were up and down.

So it can be done, we're just getting started I feel that we decided to play with the top top level teams. 

We will get there...

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

6 but let's not act like it was a big accomplishment. Most of them were against Mike Shula who only got that & most of his jobs through his career because his daddy was Don Shula. Other than 2004 the Iron Bowl win was not a stepping stone to bigger & better things during that stretch like it should be

Exactly!  Bama had two good teams during that run (2002 & 2005).  Every other team won 4, 6, 6, & 7 games.  And Tubs still couldn't win any of those by more than 10 points.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Exactly!  Bama had two good teams during that run (2002 & 2005).  Every other team won 4, 6, 6, & 7 games.  And Tubs still couldn't win any of those by more than 10 points.

We won six in a row against Bama. That’s a big deal against your main rival. Who cares if they weren’t world beaters then? We have lost to plenty of Georgia teams that weren’t world beaters either. That’s a big deal too. What’s your point other than your typical Tuberville hate?

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

We won six in a row against Bama. That’s a big deal against your main rival. Who cares if they weren’t world beaters then? We have lost to plenty of Georgia teams that weren’t world beaters either. That’s a big deal too. What’s your point other than your typical Tuberville hate?

True.  You think bammers care that the 9 in a row they won were against one of the suckiest runs in Auburn history?

7 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

True.  You think bammers care that the 9 in a row they won were against one of the suckiest runs in Auburn history?

Exactly. Any win over Bama is a good win. Same for Georgia. 6 in a row is fantastic because teams get up for rivalry games unless the staff already lost the team.

We nearly sunk Bama’s championship chances in 09 as a no big deal opponent. Strange things can happen in rivalry games.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Because talking about things in context matters.  Beating Bama is fun and all, but it was expected during that run as Bama was on probation.  If we're being honest, it should have been 8 in a row because we didn't even show up in 2001 and lost to a then 4-5 Bama squad by 24.  I'm not one to sit here and puff my chest out about beating mostly 4 & 6 win teams.

The losses to bad or average UGA teams drive me insane and are absolutely a bigger deal than doing what's expected and beating bad to average teams.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Because talking about things in context matters.  Beating Bama is fun and all, but it was expected during that run as Bama was on probation.  If we're being honest, it should have been 8 in a row because we didn't even show up in 2001 and lost to a then 4-5 Bama squad by 24.  I'm not one to sit here and puff my chest out about beating mostly 4 & 6 win teams.

The losses to bad or average UGA teams drive me insane and are absolutely a bigger deal than doing what's expected and beating bad to average teams.

If we beat UGA 6 years in a row I would be ecstatic.  I don't care who was down or who was coaching

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

We beat two teams ranked higher than us. Three that were ranked. Get that crap out of here. 

Nov. 23, 2002 — Auburn 17, No. 9 Alabama 7 (Tuscaloosa)

Nov. 22, 2003 — Auburn 28, Alabama 23 (Auburn)

Nov. 20, 2004 — No. 2 Auburn 21, Alabama 13 (Tuscaloosa)

Nov. 19, 2005 — No. 11 Auburn 28, No. 8 Alabama 18 (Auburn)

Nov. 18, 2006 — No. 10 Auburn 22, No. 22 Alabama 15 (Tuscaloosa)

Nov. 24, 2007 — No. 25 Auburn 17, Alabama 10 (Auburn)

5 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

If we beat UGA 6 years in a row I would be ecstatic.  I don't care who was down or who was coaching

Let’s take the series lead back and I’ll be gucci.

7 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

There's a difference between being happy with winning and understanding the context.  I was very happy we beat Bama those years.  Doesn't change the fact that 4 of those 6 wins came against squads that won 4, 6, 6, and 7 games.  That 2006 ranked Bama squad Jeff mentions had a 6-5 record heading into the Iron Bowl.  Says more about the state of college football that year that they were even ranked at all.

I'll give all credit to 2002 and 2005.  Both were fantastic wins and 2002 was a legit upset.  2005 was more of a game between equals that we dominated and then let Bama back in late for a while.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

and 2002 was a legit upset.

Yes. Tell Tre Smith that was a game that “we should’ve won.”

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Yes. Tell Tre Smith that was a game that “we should’ve won.”

Your selective reading comprehension is pretty amazing to see.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Your selective reading comprehension is pretty amazing to see.

“BeatingBama is fun and all, but it was expected”

I can read your stupidity Lima Charlie.  I also read that you said our wins were mostly against teams with 4 and 6 wins as if it was a strong majority. Whose fault is that? Whose fault is it that Bama’s record wasn’t any better? Certainly not Auburn’s. Auburn did their job 6 years in a row and all you care to do is piss on it. 

16 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

“BeatingBama is fun and all, but it was expected”

I can read your stupidity Lima Charlie.  I also read that you said our wins were mostly against teams with 4 and 6 wins as if it was a strong majority. Whose fault is that? Whose fault is it that Bama’s record wasn’t any better? Certainly not Auburn’s. Auburn did their job 6 years in a row and all you care to do is piss on it. 

Beating Bama was expected for the vast majority of those years.  I freely admit that 2002 and 2005 were very good wins, but you can't sit here and say that the others were anything more than us beating a mediocre program at the time.  And if we're talking good wins, then we need to talk about the horrific loss in 2001 as well.  It's all fair game.

Also, as stated, four of those six teams having average or losing records does in fact make it a majority.  Look man, you're moving the goalposts.  No one is saying it's AU's fault that Bama largely sucked during that time. All E was saying and I agreed with is to let's not look back at it like it was some major damn accomplishment.  The measuring stick games during that time were LSU and sometimes UGA (depending on the year).  Bama was largely an afterthought in the college football world.

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

It's a big deal but it's not the ultimate deal. Competing for & winning championships is. As Brad pointed out there were some mediocre to bad Bama teams in that stretch. While those wins mean a lot they would have meant more if the Bama teams were better & our teams went on to bigger & better things. This discussion isn't about Tubs hate. It's about whether we have or haven't had an elite coach. Doc used Tub's 6 in a row as maybe saying Tubs was elite. Those 6 wins were great & fun to experience but I'm sorry, there is nothing elite about beating those mediocre to bad Bama teams 6 times in a row. When Bama is like they are now they are to a good extent the big picture because beating them directly leads to the opportunities we want. When they aren't elite or near the top of the SEC they are not & should not be thought of as the big picture. They should be in those cases steps along the path to the big picture.

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

They also realize that as much they hate us, beating us isn't the end game. It's a step along the path of the end game which is Competing for & winning championships. Unfortunately this is a concept some in our fan base don't understand or can't grasp.

54 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I would too but still want it to lead to bigger & better things.

While very improbable with the way our team is currently playing (O-line and QB) lets make it two in a row for both bama and Ga. and maybe that can get us on the road where we honestly can compete with them year to year. Time for two upsets this year.

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

They also realize that as much they hate us, beating us isn't the end game. It's a step along the path of the end game which is Competing for & winning championships. Unfortunately this is a concept some in our fan base don't understand or can't grasp.

Yup.  Ask any of them if they really care that we won the Iron Bowl last year.  The answer is a resounding nope because they won the whole dang thing.

Archived