Starting to think

The Plainsman

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Beating Bama was expected for the vast majority of those years.  I freely admit that 2002 and 2005 were very good wins, but you can't sit here and say that the others were anything more than us beating a mediocre program at the time. 

In 2002 we upset them. Tre Smith. 

In 2003 we were mediocre.  They were bad. Bad teams can still beat mediocre teams in rivalry games. 

In 2004 we beat them. Too close for comfort. A win is still a win. 

In 2005, they were ranked higher, we beat them, and both shared the same record at the end of season .

In 2006, Bama was unraveling. Still had tbe talent to beat us though.

In 2007, Bama was ranked as high as AP 17. 

7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Also, as stated, four of those six teams having average or losing records does in fact make it a majority.

You said 4 to 6 wins. You didn’t say “average to losing records.”  Are you seriously accusing me of moving the goal posts? In 2003, Auburn finished as a 7 win team and Bama finished as a four win team. That didn’t mean Auburn could just wake up and expect a victory. 

12 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

And if we're talking good wins, then we need to talk about the horrific loss in 2001 as well. 

What about 2001? That year is completely irrelevant to 6 in a row. I keep telling you that beating Bama shouldn’t be “expected.” 2001 merely makes my point. Thanks for the unpleasant memories of Daniel Cobb and Andrew Zow. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Competing for & winning championships is.

We have to compete in the Iron Bowl regardless of whether our championship dreams were crushed or still intact. We batted 100% during the 6 game stretch.  Brandon Cox batted 100% and he’s a legend in my eyes.

As Brad pointed out there were some mediocre to bad Bama teams in that stretch. 

Yeah, we had some mediocre teams in there as well. 

When they aren't elite or near the top of the SEC they are not & should not be thought of as the big picture.

Beating Bama never will be the big picture. It’s still just as sweet beating them regardless of whether we have championship aspirations or not. Georgia, too. 

but I'm sorry, there is nothing elite about beating those mediocre to bad Bama teams 6 times in a row

We beat two highly ranked teams that were favored against us. (In before ATX says selective reading rabble rabble rabble rabble blah blah blah .)

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

We beat two highly ranked teams that were favored against us. (In before ATX says selective reading rabble rabble rabble rabble blah blah blah .)

Be accurate.  We were a touchdown favorite in 2005 despite being ranked all of 3 spots lower than Bama.  Don't ever trust the AP/Coaches polls.  The only "upset" was 2002.

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/other/112212 Iron Bowl betting lines.pdf

21 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

You said 4 to 6 wins. You didn’t say “average to losing records.”  Are you seriously accusing me of moving the goal posts? In 2003, Auburn finished as a 7 win team and Bama finished as a four win team. That didn’t mean Auburn could just wake up and expect a victory. 

4 to 6 wins would inherently imply average to losing records.  6 wins, 12 game schedule = 6-6 (that's .500, the definition of average).

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Be accurate.  We were a touchdown favorite in 2005 despite being ranked all of 3 spots lower than Bama.  Don't ever trust the AP/Coaches polls.  The only "upset" was 2002.

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/other/112212 Iron Bowl betting lines.pdf

I assumed they were favorites because of the polls. Nevertheless, being 3 and 4.5 point favorites isn’t exactly “expected” to win either. 

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

4 to 6 wins would inherently imply average to losing records.  6 wins, 12 game schedule = 6-6 (that's .500, the definition of average).

Yep, and you said we mostly beat 4 to 6 win teams..which is inaccurate. Now if you said we beat “many”....that would be accurate. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Yep, and you said we mostly beat 4 to 6 win teams..which is inaccurate. 

Bama regular season record in four of our six victories:

2003:  4-9

2004: 6-5 (6-6 after bowl loss)

2006: 6-6

2007: 6-6 (their 7th win was the bowl game, after we had already played)

16 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Bama regular season record in four of our six victories:

2003:  4-9

2004: 6-5 (6-6 after bowl loss)

2006: 6-6

2007: 6-6 (their 7th win was the bowl game, after we had already played)

Yeah, so you cannot call the 2007 team a 6 win team. Keep jumping through them hoops buddy.

@Brad_ATX, when we went undefeated in 2010, how many games did we win? Was it only 12?

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

They also realize that as much they hate us, beating us isn't the end game. It's a step along the path of the end game which is Competing for & winning championships. Unfortunately this is a concept some in our fan base don't understand or can't grasp.

I admit, beating Bama & GA is VERY important to me.  I don't expect it every year, of course, but they are our two main rivals so I at least want Auburn to win it's share.

However, to your point, the bigger prize is the SEC Championship and you are VERY right in that if we were to ask their fans if they really give a crud about the 2017 IB (since bammer won the Natty) and Auburn handed the regular season win right back to thUga (on a bigger stage) in the SECCG, both of their fans would reply "I hope those wins keep you warm at night".

31 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Yeah, so you cannot call the 2007 team a 6 win team. Keep jumping through them hoops buddy.

@Brad_ATX, when we went undefeated in 2010, how many games did we win? Was it only 12?

Hey man, I'm on record as saying the only post-season games that matter are the ones where championships can be won.  But if that Bama win in the 2007 Independence Bowl makes you feel better about arguing that they weren't average, go right ahead.  I'm good with my position.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Bowl makes you feel better about arguing that they weren't average, go right ahead

I’m okay with saying they were an average 7 win team that year. Which are all cold, hard facts.

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Hey man, I'm on record as saying the only post-season games that matter are the ones where championships can be won. 

Yeah I know.😒 🤢

Kind of weird because Gus was the OC when Jeff Grimes was recruiting all those stud Offensive tackles and then Gus just ditched him. That's the thing that's made the least amount of sense in the Gus era. I mean, we were into Gus' 5th year last year and he'd only used ONE offensive tackle that he'd recruited from HS since he'd been the HC. That's so bad that he was living off of Chiz/Jeff Grime's scraps for a whole 4 years. I just can't get over how bad the ol recruiting is under Gus and how little he seemingly prioritizes it. Guess what dipshit, your best years running hte football were when you had guys like GRob, Shaun Coleman, Reece Dismukes, and Braden Smith anchoring your line. Got get some of those guys every year.

21 hours ago, ellitor said:

6 but let's not act like it was a big accomplishment. Most of them were against Mike Shula who only got that & most of his jobs through his career because his daddy was Don Shula. Other than 2004 the Iron Bowl win was not a stepping stone to bigger & better things during that stretch like it should be

Not going to happen barring the conference adding OU & Okie St..

Is there a real chance of OU & Okie state joining the SEC? Regardless of whether or not bama was weak, we did something that had not been done ever I believe. Once Saban leaves, bammer will come back down to earth and will be beatable much more so than now. If Gus fails miserably the rest of this season and 2019, I think we will part ways with Gus.

Believe me, I want Gus to succeed and win a lot of games in the future. Will this happen? I hope so very much. Do you think we will part ways with Gus if this happens? Do you think the money will pony up to get him out of our way for another HC that could do a better job? 

There are some you coaches that have shown they can win in adverse conditions.

Matt Campbell, Jeff Brahm, Dave Aranda, Brent Venables, Mike Norvell, PJ Fleck, David Shaw, Justin Fuentes, and others that I cannot think of right now.

Archived