Our Head Coach

Swamp Eagle

4 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Same, done. This is the breaking point for me

Take a look at Coach O’s post game conference after LSU defeat. Completely takes responsibility. So sick of the same speaking notes.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Any chance he wants to spend his time with his family and relinquishes his contract? By the time he leaves he will have set Auburn football back 10 years.

Not that I think he would but he should be embarrassed and ashamed to accept the monetary terms of his contract. Anyone with half a brain can see he is out of his league which I don't even think is the high school level any longer. He seems to have lost all ability to think rationally about how to guide this program. If he left now at least another coach would have talent to work with. Really good football players will not be coming in masses to play in this disaster. We'll still get a few but it's really meaningless because Gus is no longer head coaching material at the college level. He is killing Auburn football one game at a time. He has lost the ability to self reflect. He had people copying him 5 years ago. Now those same people are eating his lunch and have made him like it. That's the only way I can explain a coach that can't correct his own shortcomings. His lotalty to his ego seems to outweigh his lotalty to the university that is paying him a Kings ransom. I feel very sad for Auburn football now. 6-6 is a sobering thought right now.  He's a proud coach so it seems fitting for him. Pride goeth before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall. 

Can’t argue with any of the comments on Gus, but considering AU gave this guy the moon to stay here along with a buyout that is ridiculous. We have a lot of years left . The inconsistency in winning , but having this much talent . It’s a direct reflection of the staff. Changes need to be made. I’m sure people way more important than I am feel the same we do . Gus is not going anywhere, but he has to try something new 

How about a new game day shirt? By the way, I am not referring to Gus the man, I am referring to Gus the coach. 

PhotoGrid_1538913094441.jpg

9 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

I’m sad for Auburn, I’m sad for the young men who came to Auburn to put it on the line for us to be entertained. I’m sad for us as fans. I’ve been anti-Gus for a while now but this is not what I want. I’m not sure where rock bottom is but unfortunately I don’t think we’re there yet.

Rock bottom is what we saw in 2012 and it could very well happen this year if the team loses its will.

54 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

I hope the Gus kool-aid drinkers have finally gotten a belly full.

It was Jim Jones kool-aid for sure.

I can't believe y'all sayig bad thinks about Gus Malzahn. Everytime I'd something against Gus, I'd always get blasted for posting my opinion and for not having some orange and blue glasses.

14 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I can't believe y'all sayig bad thinks about Gus Malzahn. Everytime I'd something against Gus, I'd always get blasted for posting my opinion and for not having some orange and blue glasses.

Many were feeling like you were, they just wanted to hold on to hope that he'd change. But the faith is lost for most now. 

a very unfunny comedy of errors,  at least the rest of the country is laughing...smdh

6 hours ago, DAG said:

Hey it was 2 million!

That's right! Can't short change the offensive genius.

Scanning the rivals recruiting site, by their ratings (not counting 2013) we have recruited as well on both sides of the ball as we ever have since Malzahn arrived. It's notable the difference in production between our offensive and defensive recruits. On defense, we recruit well to need and a reasonable amount of our top recruits make an impact going forward. On offense, we've recruited a mix of undersized running backs and projects for a power running offense that's our centerpiece. We've recruited big-bodied possession receivers for a passing offense that consists primarily of screens and deep routes. We've recruited a strange number of top TE prospects for an offense that doesn't really use one. What OL talent we've brought in largely has proven ineffective. Either we don't evaluate talent well, develop talent well or both on the offensive side of the ball. When your coach was brought in for his offense, that's more than concerning 6 years in. 

Gus isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but our coaching on that side of the ball is a problem. Lindsey is either hamstrung by Gus or in over his head. I think we need to go out and get a more dynamic line coach. (People seem to remember Grimes a lot kinder in retrospect than results illustrate) All of the project Gus disciples and street agents need to be replaced by football coaches who know how to evaluate and employ talent. We have players, but we have no identity and we are fundamentally poor. To me, that all goes back to the man in charge but unfortunately we gave him a few extra lives to play with so we'll have to find other ways to fix it. Regardless, based on what I've seen the last two games, we're close to being 2012 bad. 

Since 2009 our offense is dependent upon transfer players. Reminds me of the Jackie Sherrill MSU teams of the 90’s. It screams lack of evaluating talent. 

14 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

I like the players he's brought on board. I like the defensive staff he's built. I like the mentality the players generally have and the discipline on the team.

His biggest problem is that he's so set in his ways. The decision that may have cost him everything is bringing in Chip Lindsey and making him run a Gus Malzahn offense. He had an opportunity to hire a top-notch offensive coordinator and let him run his own system, but he couldn't let his offense go.

That decision may ultimately be his downfall and is why, for the first time, I no longer support Gus.

Exactly!

13 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Not all us of course. I've learned a long time ago that some folks will B&M about anything. But if we win this one we would've been looking at maybe being the 5th ranked team in the nation after squeezing out a tough win on the road.

Some do carry it a little to the extreme, but for the most part there are posters on here with legitimate concerns and are expressing those concerns. If we won last night, yes we would have moved up in the meaningless AP poll and would probably be sitting at #5 right now. But I don’t see how you think that means anything in the bigger picture or for what we have coming at the end of November. I’ve never been on the fire Gus bandwagon, but this team has some serious issues.

On one hand, I think we should try an ultimatum.  Have Gus fire everyone on the offensive side of the ball, let a competent person hire a new offensive staff, and require Gus to stay away from that side of the ball entirely. We just let him be the “face of the program”, sign footballs, and give bad press conferences, all to avoid paying the astronomical buyout.  

But on the other hand (good song by Randy Travis, btw), I think we should just bite the bullet, raise the money and toss Gus out on his ear.  Our administration screwed us last year when they made this deal.  We were all at the very least apprehensive about these terms, now we know we have no hope ever as long as Gus is in charge.  

I think if you take a broader look at the season and the team some may have a different outlook.   I’m only talking players and coaches.   If auburn had won that game and ran through the rest of the season with wins (except Alabama and Georgia). They would be 9-3.   Probably losing to two of the teams that will make the playoffs.   This perception in no reflects how I feel towards the coaching staff because I believe that he was the wrong hire from day one.   

I did see better play in the second half from the offense but worse from the defense.  Their first touchdown was not a touchdown and whitlow’s play was unfortunate.  Completely unlucky play.   The missed Slayton pass was just poor by JS.  Not to mention the pass in the end zone.  All I’m trying to say is that if a few plays would have gone Auburn’s way they would be undefeated, and if a few would have gone against them they would be 3-3.   Auburn was not going to beat Alabama and Georgia this year and for those that thought they were were not looking at things objectively 

18 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Absolutely. At this point, I'm not even sure he can make any changes without outside help. 

I suspect that Leath isn't as interested in athletics as much as we might hope. he may have been presented with the contract to review and just simply signed off on it.

Names like Jerry Faust and Doug Barfield are coming to my mind.....we are so far removed from 2013 because of the sting and indignation of losses to LSU and MSU -  it is the way we are losing.    

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

I think if you take a broader look at the season and the team some may have a different outlook.   I’m only talking players and coaches.   If auburn had won that game and ran through the rest of the season with wins (except Alabama and Georgia). They would be 9-3.   Probably losing to two of the teams that will make the playoffs.   This perception in no reflects how I feel towards the coaching staff because I believe that he was the wrong hire from day one.   

I did see better play in the second half from the offense but worse from the defense.  Their first touchdown was not a touchdown and whitlow’s play was unfortunate.  Completely unlucky play.   The missed Slayton pass was just poor by JS.  Not to mention the pass in the end zone.  All I’m trying to say is that if a few plays would have gone Auburn’s way they would be undefeated, and if a few would have gone against them they would be 3-3.   Auburn was not going to beat Alabama and Georgia this year and for those that thought they were were not looking at things objectively 

So where exactly are you going with this post? 

3 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Names like Jerry Faust and Doug Barfield are coming to my mind.....we are so far removed from 2013 because of the sting and indignation of losses to LSU and MSU -  it is the way we are losing.    

Yep. I've never seen a coach have the ability to make a one score game feel like a blowout like Gus does, it's sad and embarrassing. He could win out and I wouldn't care at this point because his next loss will have the same frustrating, hair pulling feeling as the rest have. The entire thing is redundant. WDE

19 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

..is losing to 1st and 2nd year SEC head coaches and looking bad doing it. 

For $47 million.

Re-phrase. The TEAM is losing to 1st and 2nd year sec coaches and looking bad doing it. 

20 hours ago, auburntiger1987 said:

6-6 and vet a million a win. Hope we enjoy Birmingham’s or Louisiana in winter

20 hours ago, AUwent said:

This post made me feel a bit better. Thank you sir.

Can we, like, NEVER play in a Chick-Fil-A sponsored game EVER again?

Make a statement...don’t by a ticket. Empty seats at a bowl game will speak volumes.

The only thing I hate worse than Gus Is the cute wildcat bs.  Line up and run the ball enough with the wildcat cute crap.  Sorry I had to vent.

Archived