Need a Qb

cole256

6 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is a screenshot from the 4th down play in final quarter.  If Stidham simply reads the hot receiver on the corner blitz, it's a first down.  Slayton was wide open.  And this shot was taken while the rusher was still four steps away from hitting Stidham.  He had plenty of time to make this read.  McElroy said it best a few weeks ago.  Stidham isn't seeing the field and it's a problem.

1007180102.jpg

^^^^^ This has become a disgusting pattern... 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all about coaching not who happens to be the QB. Every QB we have had gets worse instead of better, hell they would have ruined Cam if he had stayed another year.I've been saying it for weeks, until we get a proven SEC OC and QB coach this is what we will see, if I was Patrick Nix no way in hell I would let my son be coached by these clowns.

3 minutes ago, kd4au said:

It's all about coaching not who happens to be the QB. Every QB we have had gets worse instead of better, hell they would have ruined Cam if he had stayed another year.I've been saying it for weeks, until we get a proven SEC OC and QB coach this is what we will see, if I was Patrick Nix no way in hell I would let my son be coached by these clowns.

I agree to a point.. but missing those open receivers is on QB1. The coaching staff has to see that he is not making good decisions.

9 hours ago, WarTiger said:

A different QB won't help what we are seeing on offense.  It's foolish to think it will.

disagree...….need some passion at the QB position...….and leadership......team is not that far away from success.....19  incomplete passes last night many not  even in the vicinity of the receiver.  It would not have taken much to change the outcome...JMO 

24 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

Stidham isn't seeing the field and it's a problem.

JMO but he's seeing the pass rush.   Granted he got some blitzes but generally he had time to make a throw....and with 19 incomplete passes, a few like the one in the screen shot could have changed the outcome.    JMO but Chip or whoever called some great plays that had TD potential and JS missed every one of them. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

JMO but he's seeing the pass rush.   Granted he got some blitzes but generally he had time to make a throw....and with 19 incomplete passes, a few like the one in the screen shot could have changed the outcome.    JMO but Chip or whoever called some great plays that had TD potential and JS missed every one of them. 

I was concerned in the ASU game when he was overthrowing those guys.. and it has gotten much worse. Something is definitely wrong with him. Agree with the play calling.. it doesn’t get any better than Slayton being alone for a td.. missing that bad on that throw... not acceptable. I wonder if Gus will consider making a change.. see what Gatewwod or Willis can do. 

I think Stidham is shell shocked from getting hit so much.  Even when got time last night he was so panicked he was overthrowing wide open guys.  On the trick play, Slayton was running down the middle of the field 20 yards behind everyone.  All he had to do was set his feet and put some air under the ball and Slayton walks in for the TD.  90% of the high school QB’s in the country could have made that throw.  Time and time again he overthrew open receivers and failed to find the open man like the example highlighted above.  He has regressed so much these last few weeks I think it’s probably time to sit him until he gets his head back on straight.  He has not only lost confidence in the protection he has lost his self confidence.  

This problem didn't start this season. Looking back to the SEC championship game and the Peach Bowl, I saw him overthrowing balls badly, even then. I thought it was the new stadium, but it has continued into this year. Jarrett has only hit a few of the deep balls accurately starting back then. Many times, the receivers have bailed him out with some great catches, but it really came to a head last night. He badly misjudged on several throws. The one he missed on the play that had Slayton so open that he could have walked into the end zone from the 20, was just the most obvious. He badly missed on a fade that no one even had a chance to make a play on, let alone catch. The second throw in the back corner that Slayton bobbled (trying to keep a foot in bounds) was too high and too hard for the situation. It pushed him back too far. The lack of protection has had a devastating effect on him, mentally. He's been looking for the rush instead of his progressions, which admittedly, he hasn't had a lot of time to do. He's got happy feet, and I don't blame him for that. Our right tackle could not handle the speed rush from Sweat, and our coaches did absolutely nothing to help him out. JS has a real confidence issue that the coaching staff isn't addressing. My other big beef is the fact that Fitzgerald ate our lunch on the QB draw, and Steele never made an adjustment to stop, or even slow it down. When the QB is their top rusher and puts up bigger rushing stats than your entire offense, there's a problem. I concede that when the time of possession favors the opponent by a 3-to-1 margin, the defense is going to get exhausted, but he was gashing us right from the start, and it only got worse.  There are some real problems going down, and it's getting worse every week. Malzahn says "We'll fix this". My question to you, coach, is when?

2 hours ago, AuMarine said:

^^^^^ This has become a disgusting pattern... 

He's terrible he's overthrown all our open WRs "ALL" season!

11 hours ago, cole256 said:

Nah it's foolish that you can't see how he's a big problem

I see how big a problem he is.  I also see how big a problem the OL line is and the running game, not to mention some of the play selection.  Changing one aspect of it isn't going to help.  But you do you...

Apart from the obvious OL woes we are facing, could the QB conundrum being discussed here and elsewhere actually tie back to the subject of coaching philosophy?  

Case in point - Nick Saban (in a National Championship game mind you) replaces a QB who had lost a total of 1 or 2 gams in his 2 year career with a guy who had never started a college game. The coach was more worried about trying to win a ballgame than being second-guessed by the media for such a radical move.

In the case of Gus, he has demonstrated that he can be loyal to a fault when it comes to making bold moves that could be subject challenge by the fans or media should they not pan out as planned  

“Stubborn” is an adjective that has been used to describe that behavior and it’s hard to argue against it. The real question is “why?” and what it will take to exercise that demon from him. His contract extension may exacerbate the problem, yielding complacency when a sense of urgency is required. 

Real leaders are also risk takers, willing to take the heat when those risks fail.  My fear is that Gus is playing it “safe” right now while all the other coaches are playing as if their jobs depended upon the next game, willing to take the calculated risks to accomplish their goals.

But it’s not all on our HC. We as fans have a role to play here, too, by encouraging him to become a bit more of a risk-taker by carefully measuring our reactions in those situations where the risks don’t play out as planned.  Because we know that all of those outcomes will not be favorable, even for the best of coaches.

7 minutes ago, SIR ISAAC said:

Apart from the obvious OL woes we are facing, could the QB conundrum being discussed here and elsewhere actually tie back to the subject of coaching philosophy?  

Case in point - Nick Saban (in a National Championship game mind you) replaces a QB who had lost a total of 1 or 2 gams in his 2 year career with a guy who had never started a college game. The coach was more worried about trying to win a ballgame than being second-guessed by the media for such a radical move.

In the case of Gus, he has demonstrated that he can be loyal to a fault when it comes to making bold moves that could be subject challenge by the fans or media should they not pan out as planned  

“Stubborn” is an adjective that has been used to describe that behavior and it’s hard to argue against it. The real question is “why?” and what it will take to exercise that demon from him. His contract extension may exacerbate the problem, yielding complacency when a sense of urgency is required. 

Real leaders are also risk takers, willing to take the heat when those risks fail.  My fear is that Gus is playing it “safe” right now while all the other coaches are playing as if their jobs depended upon the next game, willing to take the calculated risks to accomplish their goals.

But it’s not all on our HC. We as fans have a role to play here, too, by encouraging him to become a bit more of a risk-taker by carefully measuring our reactions in those situations where the risks don’t play out as planned.  Because we know that all of those outcomes will not be favorable, even for the best of coaches.

I'm sorry, but the fans reaction should have zero to do with his aggressiveness or lack thereof. If it did, he would've changed some of his tendencies 3+ years ago. What myself or anyone else says has absolutely nothing to do with how crappy this team is playing right now. Nothing.

3 hours ago, WarTiger said:

I see how big a problem he is.  I also see how big a problem the OL line is and the running game, not to mention some of the play selection.  Changing one aspect of it isn't going to help.  But you do you...

Actually agree with you and cole.........QB is a start........boobie had 8 carries for 88 yards had a td stolen......why not give him more carries? 

I often wonder how the locker room feels about current QB.........In my opinion the problem is much deeper than QB........but at this stage change at QB could light a fire.?

13 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I agree

In situations like this; I kind of view these tradeoffs like I would on giving a Corps an enema...it may not help...but it certainly won't hurt.  Put someone else on the field; try something else...we are going backwards fast....and it's going to hurt recruiting when the stadium is empty...

3 minutes ago, japantiger said:

In situations like this; I kind of view these tradeoffs like I would on giving a Corps an enema...it may not help...but it certainly won't hurt.  Put someone else on the field; try something else...we are going backwards fast....and it's going to hurt recruiting when the stadium is empty...

Normally I would agree with that, but our other choices are not good.  Could say the same for the o-line.  Everyone wanted Ashley or Troxall in and look what we got when we did put them in.  There is nobody developed and ready at any of those positions, sadly.

Stidham's NFL prospects have fallen into a deep abyss. Pro scouts will look objectively at Stidham's play. And they will not be impressed.

CGM and CCL have a serious problem on their hands. An OL that cannot block, a QB who cannot lead or play effectively, and no real depth behind them.

3 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Yeah....I'm sure you're not the only person that can see those things. I'm pretty sure that many of us saw those other problems earlier in the year while you were sticking your head in the ground saying everything is just fine.....but I've also seen QB's do more with less so yeah I'm positive with a better QB right now we at the least beat LSU, probably win last night too.....but yeah I'll do me and please continue to do you as well kind sir

11 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is a screenshot from the 4th down play in final quarter.  If Stidham simply reads the hot receiver on the corner blitz, it's a first down.  Slayton was wide open.  And this shot was taken while the rusher was still four steps away from hitting Stidham.  He had plenty of time to make this read.  McElroy said it best a few weeks ago.  Stidham isn't seeing the field and it's a problem.

1007180102.jpg

Why can’t our coaches see this and fix the problem or make a change? 

3 minutes ago, AUJedi said:

Is Gus TOO loyal to players? ie JS, KJ last year-when he should’ve been on the sideline because he was too hurt? 

I don't think it's as much him being too loyal to players as it is him not being confident in the backups.

I have a lot of opinions on Jarrett Stidham's regression and poor play:

1. The root of the problem is that he's playing in an offense that isn't catered to his strengths. Malzahn's offense work bests with dual threat QBs (i.e. Cam and Nick). This is why fans are quick to criticize Gus and Chip. It's not that Jarrett isn't talented...it's just he's playing in an offense that isn't meant for him. It also doesn't help he's a slow rusher.

2. He isn't a leader. Plain and simple. He lacks the fire that other QBs have. I'm not saying he doesn't have the IT factor, but he lacks the leadership ability other players have. He just doesn't have that FIRE. He's too nonchalant, and I think some of the players know that. It's just little things from his reactions on the sidelines that I, and many other fans, have noticed.

3. I think player chemistry off the field plays a big part in what happens on the field. Stidham and Hastings are BFFs, so are Stidham and Cox. Notice how some of Stidham's best plays (from last season and this season) involved those two?

4. He's playing not to get hurt. He's a starting quarterback in the SEC. He HAS to get over it if he wants to win games in this conference. In the NFL, he'll have better coaches and a better offensive line to help him out, but if he's this afraid of getting hit in college ball, how does he expect to survive in the pros?

5. His heart is just not in it. I don't know what it is (I have some guesses, but they're just guesses), but he seems extremely unmotivated compared to last season.

This is just MY opinion. The coaches failed him in ways he wasn't expecting, but I also think he failed the coaches in ways they weren't expecting either. Again, just sharing and venting my thoughts...

I’ve been trying to say this for weeks.  Yes the OL has its struggles.  Any back other then Boobee is going down by finger tackles but the inconsistency at QB has cost us multiple points and 2 games.  

We cant run the inside zone because of poor push on the interior so we went more outside on the buck sweep and such.  We went to more of a quick pass game but our QB can barely complete 50 percent of 5 yard passes.   The coaches dialed up some nice change of routes and plays in the pass game and Stidham missed every throw.  Coaches made adjustments but our QB can’t perform.

The OL is still poor.  But our QB is costing us wins.  

16 hours ago, Shift said:

Could it be that the Clemson game last year should have been a clue?  11 sacks in that game. 

Looking back, has anything changed?  Were those sacks on the O line back then or was that the first red flag for Stidham?

Stidham had zero time to do anything against the Clemson front. Stidham deserved a mulligan for that game but it did turn out to be a foreshadowing of more to come.

16 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I’ve been trying to say this for weeks.  Yes the OL has its struggles.  Any back other then Boobee is going down by finger tackles but the inconsistency at QB has cost us multiple points and 2 games.  

We cant run the inside zone because of poor push on the interior so we went more outside on the buck sweep and such.  We went to more of a quick pass game but our QB can barely complete 50 percent of 5 yard passes.   The coaches dialed up some nice change of routes and plays in the pass game and Stidham missed every throw.  Coaches made adjustments but our QB can’t perform.

The OL is still poor.  But our QB is costing us wins.  

I agree. So tell me why won’t the coaches make a change, even for one series? He seems to be a liability at this point.

7 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I agree. So tell me why won’t the coaches make a change, even for one series? He seems to be a liability at this point.

Malik has been in a few times and on the plays he’s really good at he has made horrible decisions.  Malik’s ability to open up the run game might be a huge plus but can we beat the big boys at the end of the year with Malik?   I don’t know that answer but it would be nice to see him get a few plays each game.  Or possibly a series each half to gain experience and just throw a curve ball in there.

I also want to see Stidham keep 4-5 reads on the zone read a game just enough to keep the end from crashing every play.  Doesn’t matter if he only picks up 3-4 yards it balances out the D to help the OL.  And might help Stidham realize he ain’t gonna die if he gets hit

Archived