Need a Qb

cole256

I’m not saying replace the quarterback for the entire game or for even an entire quarter. I am just saying that if he struggles again take him out for a series and sit his butt on the bench so he can watch. Even if it is only for one series. Even if we go three and out. Just to make sure he knows that he can be pulled Because of his poor play. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DAG said:

Those coaches got fired right? 

You mean Nick S?   nope but otherwise,  it's pretty much true......any HC who can't recruit good QBs is probably gonna get fired. ...although some just manage to bring in transfers or Jucos to cover up their sins.....:)     On the other hand, as Petrino is showing.... the typical HC in college is not much better than his QB. 

4 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I’m not saying replace the quarterback for the entire game or for even an entire quarter. I am just saying that if he struggles again take him out for a series and sit his butt on the bench so he can watch. Even if it is only for one series. Even if we go three and out. Just to make sure he knows that he can be pulled Because of his poor play. 

What if “gasp” the offense starts to click with Cord or Malik?  I’m not one who says Gus needs a running QB but I do think that element could open up the running game and help a struggling line.  Stidham will either wake up or lay down but you’d find out what he’s made of.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

You mean Nick S?   nope but otherwise,  it's pretty much true......any HC who can't recruit good QBs is probably gonna get fired. ...although some just manage to bring in transfers or Jucos to cover up their sins.....:)     On the other hand, as Petrino is showing.... the typical HC in college is not much better than his QB. 

Well you just said Texas A&M and LSU now you are talking about NS. NS starters don’t end up looking like some of ours. I have never seen an Alabama offense except during his first year play like this. Why do you keep trying to redirect ? That is isn’t going to work around here .  It might work for the Fox News and MSNBC audience , but us fans want to know what is going on at AUBURN. Answer this direct question without trying to point to another university .  Was Auburn more talented than Mississippi State last night ? 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Well you just said Texas A&M and LSU now you are talking about NS. NS starters don’t end up looking like some of ours. I have never seen an Alabama offense except during his first year play like this. Why do you keep trying to redirect ? That is isn’t going to work around here .  

Not redirecting...just noting that lots of  HS QBs don't make the grade at numerous colleges....not just AU.  and believe I mentioned nikki as one of many coaches who has gone through an army of unsuccessful QBs in the past half dozen years...guys who ended up transferring, etc. though he has had the good fortune to be able to replace them more easily that AU has..   

For better or worse, AU has to hang onto our problems and try to rehab them or whatever where as some other schools can cut them loose and find help elsewhere....like Chiz and Gus did with Cam and Nick....and for a while, it looked like JS was another of that kind of solution when he signed on with AU after JJ and SW did not work out. 

As for firing coaches......if that's the decision, I will support whoever comes next and watch people complain about the money, etc.    TAMU paid a fortune to get Sumlin based on his record in Houston. two good years....and they paid him a fortune to leave and paid Jimbo two fortunes to replace him.  Florida did that with a couple coaches and LSU did something similar with Les and the jury is still out on Ed O.....and on it goes.     Just saying that Gus's salary is probably the starting point for negotiations with our next coach unless we go after a P J Fleck or Dooley or Heupel in hopes the guy can grow into the job.  

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not redirecting...just noting that lots of  HS QBs don't make the grade at numerous colleges....not just AU.  and believe I mentioned nikki as one of many coaches who has gone through an army of unsuccessful QBs in the past half dozen years...guys who ended up transferring, etc. though he has had the good fortune to be able to replace them more easily that AU has..   

For better or worse, AU has to hang onto our problems and try to rehab them or whatever where as some other schools can cut them loose and find help elsewhere....like Chiz and Gus did with Cam and Nick....and for a while, it looked like JS was another of that kind of solution when he signed on with AU after JJ and SW did not work out. 

As for firing coaches......if that's the decision, I will support whoever comes next and watch people complain about the money, etc.    TAMU paid a fortune to get Sumlin based on his record in Houston. two good years....and they paid him a fortune to leave and paid Jimbo two fortunes to replace him.  Florida did that with a couple coaches and LSU did something similar with Les and the jury is still out on Ed O.....and on it goes.     Just saying that Gus's salary is probably the starting point for negotiations with our next coach unless we go after a P J Fleck or Dooley or Heupel in hopes the guy can grow into the job.  

You still didn’t answer the question haha but alright 

11 hours ago, corchjay said:

I’ve been trying to say this for weeks.  Yes the OL has its struggles.  Any back other then Boobee is going down by finger tackles but the inconsistency at QB has cost us multiple points and 2 games.  

We cant run the inside zone because of poor push on the interior so we went more outside on the buck sweep and such.  We went to more of a quick pass game but our QB can barely complete 50 percent of 5 yard passes.   The coaches dialed up some nice change of routes and plays in the pass game and Stidham missed every throw.  Coaches made adjustments but our QB can’t perform.

The OL is still poor.  But our QB is costing us wins.  

I approve of that message. :)

16 hours ago, TigerFanAU said:

People keep blaming our QB's, but Gus has a failing record when it comes to development. Not sure why any top rated QB would come to play for Gus. He's yet to develop one. 

I agree. And the play calling is trash, but even with the trash play calling JS has still missed crucial wide open throws that if he makes we still at least win the game albeit struggle wins. I called this before everybody but I couldn't really say what I wanted because I saw it so early. He's scared in the pocket. He doesn't make reads at all. Now why a top rated QB would want to come here? I don't know. No way in hell I let my kid do it but hey that's me

Stidham is a good-sized athlete with a strong arm to make small-windowed throws, which was on display in the season opener against Washington. In the first quarter, his receiver ran a red zone hitch-and-go and Stidham threw a seed to the corner of the end zone with the placement where only his receiver could make the play.

While his positive traits are easy to spot, Stidham’s issues, specifically his negative reaction to pressure, stick out like a Crimson Tide fan in Toomer’s Corner. When he starts to feel the walls close in, he rushes his process, drops his eyes and struggles to create second-chance throws. When the play design stays on schedule, which happens (on average) about 40 percent of the time, Stidham completes passes downfield. But the other 60 percent is the concern. When plays break down and require what Bill Walsh coined “spontaneous genius,” Stidham is unable to consistently improvise under pressure.

Through six games, Stidham is completing only 60.1 percent of his passes and had the worst performance of the season on Saturday in the loss to Mississippi State (19 for 38 for 214 yards and no touchdowns).

The other concern is the Auburn offense. The No. 1 job of a college coaching staff is to win, not necessarily prepare players for the NFL. And Gus Malzahn’s system is based on rudimentary principles that aren’t helping Stidham develop as a passer for the next level – as one NFL scout put it: “If our offense is a 10, that Auburn offense is a 3.” While there is no doubt that he needs another season in college, is another year in that offense going to be beneficial to Stidham?

from an NFL draft guy

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

While there is no doubt that he needs another season in college, is another year in that offense going to be beneficial to Stidham?

He can always try the Grad Transfer route.

For his sake, maybe a good idea.  An al.com article has mentioned a family member tweeting unpleasant things about "the coach" and reportedly Stid's fiance "liked" it.

Here's the link FWIW...

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/10/all-access_should_gus_malzahn.html#incart_river_mobile_index

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

He can always try the Grad Transfer route.

For his sake, maybe a good idea.  An al.com article has mentioned a family member tweeting unpleasant things about "the coach" and reportedly Stid's fiance "liked" it.

Here's the link FWIW...

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/10/all-access_should_gus_malzahn.html#incart_river_mobile_index

Oh boy....

Stidham could've helped himself by sticking around AU over the summer and working out with his teammates and continuing to develop relationships with them. But this is looking more and more like a failure of all parties involved with multiple issues compounding other issues. 

Man, this has turned into one big clusterfrontdoor

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Oh boy....

Stidham could've helped himself by sticking around AU over the summer and working out with his teammates and continuing to develop relationships with them. But this is looking more and more like a failure of all parties involved with multiple issues compounding other issues. 

Yeah all the sitting down not worried about him bs is biting us now. Entitlement just can't work in team sports.....you have to prove your worth as far as being a player

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yeah all the sitting down not worried about him bs is biting us now. Entitlement just can't work in team sports.....you have to prove your worth as far as being a player

So true.

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Hey! Don't talk about him. It's the offensive line fault. 

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Oh boy....

He should’ve stuck around, because his coach should have a culture where that is the clear standard. Gus is  too busy having a “family vibe” to understand this is a business, and you have to have a CEO who runs it like one. 

It's rumors but it's being reported too, but from what I'm hearing JS just rubs people the wrong way, on offense and defense. Of course that can't be good, and that's something the head coach has to watch as well

SIX GAMES IN, HALF THE SEASON And he is the worst quarterback  in the SEC, by far. I love the team and I don’t want to be negative but he seems not to care. BENCH HIM. WE LOSE WITH HIM AND WE MAY WIN WITH CORD. Malik Willis is, from what I have seen, probably not the solution. Talking crap about the coach? Sit the bench a**hole.  Also regarding Chip Lindsey, if you equate Chip Lindsay to the national sales director of a corporation, and that sales department dramatically fails to meet quota for six months, you fire that sales director and you get a new one. Every time. No excuses 

15 hours ago, cole256 said:

It's rumors but it's being reported too, but from what I'm hearing JS just rubs people the wrong way, on offense and defense. Of course that can't be good, and that's something the head coach has to watch as well

Goes back to that lack of passion that jumps off the TV screen. People can poo-poo that all they want but it is clear that this guy doesn't motivate his teammates. 

And he's not getting any fire from his head coach, either. Absolutely zero intensity between the two of them. I have yet to see either one act like he cares except for that one time Big Kat jumped offside. 

It is just football. Just a game. But there is no excuse for tolerating mediocrity in any aspect of life, really. Trotting this offense out is disturbing.  Mix it up. We lose badly with status quo. Keep the guys that give 100% and the rest can sit. 

Kam for 2 yards, Kam again for no gain, horrible pass for incompletion, punt.  It is getting perilously close to 2012. If the digression continues and Stidham continues to lose his passion, and he has CLEARLY LOST IT ENOUGH ALREADY, it will be 2012 offense soon.  It is right around the corner 

I do NOT mean to be negative, I just want to see an effort made.....is that asking too much?  Put in someone——-ANYONE—-in at QB, that is willing to give it their all.  

29 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

I do NOT mean to be negative, I just want to see an effort made.....is that asking too much?  Put in someone——-ANYONE—-in at QB, that is willing to give it their all.  

Seems like every time we play an SEC West opponent, I spend a lot of time thinking about how tough and gritty their QBs are. Such legends as Burrow, Storey and Fitzgerald are making me envious. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Seems like every time we play an SEC West opponent, I spend a lot of time thinking about how tough and gritty their QBs are. Such legends as Burrow, Storey and Fitzgerald are making me envious. 

"gritty".....that's the word....none of them are particularly talented, certainly not as passers and they don't have any more offensive support than JS does, and not the receivers......BUT....but they will absolutely lower their heads to gain an extra yard or so....and the will stand in and take a hit in order to get a pass off.  

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Goes back to that lack of passion that jumps off the TV screen. People can poo-poo that all they want but it is clear that this guy doesn't motivate his teammates. 

And he's not getting any fire from his head coach, either. Absolutely zero intensity between the two of them. I have yet to see either one act like he cares except for that one time Big Kat jumped offside. 

I feel like JS has gone from confident gun slinger to Gus post game press conference in the passion department

Archived