Gus Just Doesn't Hate to Lose

tigeraddikt

That's about all I can come up with. I think he's a great human being, probably a good husband, dad, citizen. I think he's a football strategist/ scientist/philosopher/missionary. But certainly not anywhere near an elite or consistent head football coach who will stop at nothing to keep from losing.

I believe that the players lost this game tonight. They dropped passes, fumbled, missed tackles, missed a kick, etc. But who ultimately is responsible for setting the tone and holding these players accountable? Who gets paid to have everybody on the same page?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

That's about all I can come up with. I think he's a great human being, probably a good husband, dad, citizen. I think he's a football strategist/ scientist/philosopher/missionary. But certainly not anywhere near an elite or consistent head football coach who will stop at nothing to keep from losing.

I believe that the players lost this game tonight. They dropped passes, fumbled, missed tackles, missed a kick, etc. But who ultimately is responsible for setting the tone and holding these players accountable? Who gets paid to have everybody on the same page?

You are right in your first paragraph about Gus. He is highly intelligent but is a nerd with little common sense which is critical in his chosen profession to be successful.

He actually really hates losing. When he loses, he stays away from everyone for like 12 hours because he becomes difficult to be around. This is honestly what makes our problems more baffling.

I’m not gonna attack Gus on a personal level or question his commitment or desire to win. I believe he is competitive and desperately wants to win big. However, like many have been saying for a good while, many who were saying it well before I jumped off the bus, he is in way over his head.  

1 hour ago, OnthePlains said:

I’m not gonna attack Gus on a personal level or question his commitment or desire to win. I believe he is competitive and desperately wants to win big. However, like many have been saying for a good while, many who were saying it well before I jumped off the bus, he is in way over his head.  

I will question it. If you truly want to win badly you would check yourself. Just seems like Gus is fine with winning, as long as it is his way. The only time he turns it up to reckless abandonment is when the seat gets really hot 

5 hours ago, DAG said:

I will question it. If you truly want to win badly you would check yourself. Just seems like Gus is fine with winning, as long as it is his way. The only time he turns it up to reckless abandonment is when the seat gets really hot 

Agree.. he should be paid on a game by game basis.. that way his seat can stay hot. Honestly.. he mulls along at the beginning of the season, loses games he should have won and then starts coaching when his job is on the line. I do not see how anyone can justify this. 

*** and what we saw last night, he should be writing Auburn a big check .. 

7 hours ago, AUFriction said:

He actually really hates losing. When he loses, he stays away from everyone for like 12 hours because he becomes difficult to be around. This is honestly what makes our problems more baffling.

Image result for i do not think you know what that word means gif

This is like the guy doing the same thing over and over and expecting different outcomes. Every 4 or 5 years we win 10+ games. The other years we win 8 or 9 games, depending on how bad our non conference schedule is. Our coaching is sorta like being the weatherman, you only have to be correct half the time. And by the way, have our players given up? Not sure but the execution surely took a step back last night.

Gus without a doubt hates to lose.  One of my former liquor representatives(also a Big10 official)  last game was the Sugar Bowl game against Oklahoma.  Gus came up to him before the game and congratulated on his retirement/career and asked him if he had done any other of his games and Terry said yes the Championship game against Florida State.  Gus talked to him about how much that game still hurts him.  To be honest, I don't think he has ever recovered from it.    Side note, Terry also said he never saw a QB so lost as JJ was when he went into the game.

Gus lost his marbles ever since Nick Marshall and CAP had that fumbled exchange in the redzone vs TAMU in 2014 and still hasn't found them.

It looked like he had an epiphany in November last year but that was fool's gold

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Gus lost his marbles ever since Nick Marshall and CAP had that fumbled exchange in the redzone vs TAMU in 2014 and still hasn't found them.

It looked like he had an epiphany in November last year but that was fool's gold

NeatSparseKangaroo-small.gif

On 10/7/2018 at 12:57 AM, AUFriction said:

Saban hates losing. Gus apparently hates making changes because it is an admission that he was wrong. 

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Saban hates losing. Gus apparently hates making changes because it is an admission that he was wrong. 

Saban even hates winning like he did Saturday - pissed at his defense, he said it didn't feel like they'd beaten the other team when they gave up +30 pts.  Never mind what his offense accomplished, he was red hot focused on that poor defensive performance and fixing the deficiencies.

Any man that hates to lose, will do everything in his power to remedy the mistakes and if that means letting your ego fall to the wayside and accepting that you may be wrong, then so be it.

Listening to his post game presser, he just sounds defeated too.  Or maybe clueless on how to fix things... 

What I hate most is the feeling I get that he's just in over his head...  It's like the team is running itself or something.  We play to the level of the competition... if we play a good team we look good.  If we play a bad team, we "most of the time" look bad.  There seems to be no accountability to the performance they put on the field from the coaching staff.

22 minutes ago, Bathel said:

Listening to his post game presser, he just sounds defeated too.  Or maybe clueless on how to fix things... 

What I hate most is the feeling I get that he's just in over his head...  It's like the team is running itself or something.  We play to the level of the competition... if we play a good team we look good.  If we play a bad team, we "most of the time" look bad.  There seems to be no accountability to the performance they put on the field from the coaching staff.

The players don't give up on him generally, but I think we may see that start to waver. With Stidham's family tweeting and re-tweeting negative things about Gus, we have starters who left the program a few weeks ago, things are looking mighty shaky right now. I think the wheels are in the process of falling off. I don't know how he keeps from losing the team but he needs to do something quick. If we come out flat vs UT this weekend will have gone so far into the toilet we will already be halfway to the waste treatment plant.

Seems it's less about wins and losses, more about still trying to prove something after all these years.

Can somebody borrow his phone and call up some hookers?

19 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Seems it's less about wins and losses, more about still trying to prove something after all these years.

Can somebody borrow his phone and call up some hookers?

Lol. Who is going to be the one to plant the cocaine? 

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! LETS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

wooo.gif

Archived