Mississippi State Post Game Thread

Zeek

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

That's the thing.  We always attract talent.  It's the one major selling point we have besides money.  Even when we suck, we recruit really well.  It's actually quite weird.

Auburn is really a very attractive job for the right coach. It has drawbacks of course but every coaching job has those. We need a coach with the same mindset that UAB's Bill Clark has.....winning despite the huge obstacles he has to face. That guy has UAB rolling again and that all comes from his ability to coach and get his players to buy in even in the midst of the circus caused by UAT trustees.

Gus just seems lost. He cannot get both sides of Auburn's game going at the same time for some inexplicable reason. While he got the brakes fixed he blew out the transmission because he's not really a mechanic. He just knows how to check the oil.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, AUJedi said:

I think quality coaches can see that Gus is an average or below coach. They probably know we’ve succeeded in spite of him. I don’t think this would scare off as much as we might think 

Yeah, not bad optics at all for that reason. Its not wins and losses, it's having a basic competent operation. There's good coaches, and bad coaches everywhere. This guy though.....

Could have had Kirby.  Could have had Jimbo.  I hate both but good lord I can't put my hate for Gus into words.  I'd take a statue of Doug Barfield over our stadium like Notre Dame's touchdown Jesus if we could remove the memory and record of this private high school buffoon from Auburn's history.  Yeah, I'd give back the 2010 MBCS championship.  Get somebody here, ANYBODY, who will stop embarrassing us and our football program.  Hell, work with Waffle House to buy him out with a franchise.

6 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Yeah, not bad optics at all for that reason. Its not wins and losses, it's having a basic competent operation. There's good coaches, and bad coaches everywhere. This guy though.....

I just hope the nuance can be seen. The thought of having to wait three years to get a decent coach...

For all intents and purposes, Malzahn is done. Even if he stays here for three more years, he is completely burnt out. We will not have any more success under him.

2 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Could have had Kirby.  Could have had Jimbo.  I hate both but good lord I can't put my hate for Gus into words.  I'd take a statue of Doug Barfield over our stadium like Notre Dame's touchdown Jesus if we could remove the memory and record of this private high school buffoon from Auburn's history.  Yeah, I'd give back the 2010 MBCS championship.  Get somebody here, ANYBODY, who will stop embarrassing us and our football program.  Hell, work with Waffle House to buy him out with a franchise.

If we would of hired Jimbo in 2008 LIKE WE SHOULD of and like I desperately wanted us too we would be on our best run in program history I really do truly believe that.

I swear I’m not trying to start anything or call anyone out but where are the pumpers?? They always do this after one of these train wrecks of Gus...they disappear for a couple of days and let everyone “cool down” before coming back on here and spewing their “Gus is great, players didn’t execute” crap. As if players not executing REPEATEDLY isn’t the head coach’s fault? 

If we had won this game 55-7 and our offense dropped 600 yards you better believe myself and a lot of the anti-Gus crowd would be right here eating our crow just like last year after beating uga and uat...which now looks like the two most costly wins in AU history...

Please tell me how you spin this now? I’m sure we’ll get some blaming the refs and as I said above some will blame the players...at SOME POINT THE BUCK STOPS WITH THE HEAD COACH...The mere fact our fan base is splintered like this should tell you something....and guess who is now firmly in the minority? 

Auburn deserves better than Terry Bowden, Gene Chizik and Gus Malzahn.  Love the school, love Auburn, love the boys who come here to play, but for the love of Shug stop defending this train wreck of a head coach. 

War Damn Eagle 

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The Muffed punt hurt not only because of a turnover, but State has the ball almost half the second quarter and half the 3rd quarter before Auburn ever got the ball back. And by that time we were already trailing and needed to move the ball quickly. The 76 yards or so at half time sucked. We moved the ball more effectively in the second half but damn did we miss out on a boat load of opportunities. 

3 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I swear I’m not trying to start anything or call anyone out but where are the pumpers?? They always do this after one of these train wrecks of Gus...they disappear for a couple of days and let everyone “cool down” before coming back on here and spewing their “Gus is great, players didn’t execute” crap. As if players not executing REPEATEDLY isn’t the head coach’s fault? 

If we had won this game 55-7 and our offense dropped 600 yards you better believe myself and a lot of the anti-Gus crowd would be right here eating our crow just like last year after beating uga and uat...which now looks like the two most costly wins in AU history...

Please tell me how you spin this now? I’m sure we’ll get some blaming the refs and as I said above some will blame the players...at SOME POINT THE BUCK STOPS WITH THE HEAD COACH...The mere fact our fan base is splintered like this should tell you something....and guess who is now firmly in the minority? 

Auburn deserves better than Terry Bowden, Gene Chizik and Gus Malzahn.  Love the school, love Auburn, love the boys who come here to play, but for the love of Shug stop defending this train wreck of a head coach. 

War Damn Eagle 

Image result for mikey life cereal gif

3 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

The Muffed punt hurt not only because of a turnover, but State has the ball almost half the second quarter and half the 3rd quarter before Auburn ever got the ball back. And by that time we were already trailing and needed to move the ball quickly. The 76 yards or so at half time sucked. We moved the ball more effectively in the second half but damn did we miss out on a boat load of opportunities. 

It's become habitual.....those boatloads of missed opportunities. 

The only improvement tonight was penalties. 

51 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Great. We have to wait three years while our recruiting falls apart and we become what Nebraska is now. See y'all in December 2020! /s

At least Nebraska has Scott Frost... he’ll turn them around

46 minutes ago, Shift said:

It looked like he has no clue where to begin to turn things around. 

Lots of "we got to get better" and "we will turn the page tomorrow" and "we will have to look at the film to see what happened there" and "we will improve, no doubt...."  That's about it.

This is the s*** that pisses me off the most. Act like you actually give a **** dude. At what point would Gus finally lose his composure?????????? Get pissed off. Say it’s not acceptable. Quit regurgitating the same bull s*** without changing anything. I swear being an Auburn fan with Gus is like being a battered house wife. Just have to keep taking the abuse and making excuses for him and how he’s a great guy and really, at times, he can be awesome; he even is awesome right when we’re about to leave him. For ***** sake at what point does he learn and show he’s improved from his mistakes? I earnestly believe Hawaii, UCF, USF, Syracuse, and hell maybe even Troy would beat us right now.

2 hours ago, AUJedi said:

Kerryon Johnson and Kevin Steele-in spite of Gus

You got that right. KJ is giving the Lions a running game. 100 yards rusher in how many years until he came? 

12 minutes ago, Zeek said:

This is the s*** that pisses me off the most. Act like you actually give a **** dude. At what point would Gus finally lose his composure?????????? Get pissed off. Say it’s not acceptable. Quit regurgitating the same bull s*** without changing anything. I swear being an Auburn fan with Gus is like being a battered house wife. Just have to keep taking the abuse and making excuses for him and how he’s a great guy and really, at times, he can be awesome; he even is awesome right when we’re about to leave him. For ***** sake at what point does he learn and show he’s improved from his mistakes? I earnestly believe Hawaii, UCF, USF, Syracuse, and hell maybe even Troy would beat us right now.

I posed the question to our local sports radio host Friday about what spread he would put on an AU-Troy matchup...he said 15 or 16...I said 10 and I would be terrified...wonder what he would say now?

Just now, OnthePlains said:

I posed the question to our local sports radio host Friday about what spread he would put on an AU-Troy matchup...he said 15 or 16...I said 10 and I would be terrified...wonder what he would say now?

Out of likes but +1

on the bright side we can let the Oak Trees grow some more without rolling them too much...

22 minutes ago, Zeek said:

At least Nebraska has Scott Frost... he’ll turn them around

I thought they were stupid when they fired Solich, who averaged 9 wins a season.  But, they weren't SATISFIED with that, so they go a new coach.  And another, and another.  Frost may suck too, but he's cutting the dead wood and recruiting better than they have.

Time to cut our dead wood.  Give me a coach that averages less than 4 losses a season.  I didn't feel this bad from 75-80 with Barfield.  

2 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I thought they were stupid when they fired Solich, who averaged 9 wins a season.  But, they weren't SATISFIED with that, so they go a new coach.  And another, and another.  Frost may suck too, but he's cutting the dead wood and recruiting better than they have.

Time to cut our dead wood.  Give me a coach that averages less than 4 losses a season.  I didn't feel this bad from 75-80 with Barfield.  

Frost will succeed. Just starting the place over. Did a similar rebuild at UCF who is currently overachieving consistently.

We could have had Kirby... lol

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Honestly . It is okay to say we were wrong . I absolutely didn’t want to get pidgeones hole in a deal last year but I felt that maybe Gus turned the corner after the opening game. Nope. I was completely wrong. I don’t care about having an unknown at this point. I can’t rationalize paying a coach this type of money to lose to Mississippi State.

It just never made sense to me. It always felt like we were paying him to do what he finally was supposed to do in beating UGA and Bama. If Arky had came after  him..then so be it. That was my attitude. Then he lays an egg in the bowl game. It's going to take at least a couple of seasons of being consistent for me to believe Gus has changed. He's simply not going to change and when he does change..we have to wait until the next season. I've been over it. It just sucks that we're basically stuck with him and no one else can help us out and take him. 

I'd take Mark Stoops. If he can get wins at Kentucky...think about what he could do at Auburn. 

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

It just never made sense to me. It always felt like we were paying him to do what he finally was supposed to do in beating UGA and Bama. If Arky had came after  him..then so be it. That was my attitude. Then he lays an egg in the bowl game. It's going to take at least a couple of seasons of being consistent for me to believe Gus has changed. He's simply not going to change and when he does change..we have to wait until the next season. I've been over it. It just sucks that we're basically stuck with him and no one else can help us out and take him. 

I'd take Mark Stoops. If he can get wins at Kentucky...think about what he could do at Auburn. 

Yep I would’ve been fine with him proving me wrong and winning at Arkansas. The argument was that there was nobody else proven and that was true. At this point, I am fine with taking an hungry , innovative coach unless someone is just willing to drop the bag. But with CGM, it is insanity to keep him around if he can’t do better than this after a contract extension and raise.

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Its a bad situation for sure. I refuse to believe however, that those that have the money and influence and love our program wouldn’t come up with the buyout if the wheels come off next year.

Dont know about Stoops. Winning at UK is different than Auburn. For one they’re in the East. I remember a lot of folks aying the same about Tubs too...well if he can win at Ole Miss he can win big at Auburn...and I guess he did some but still didn’t elevate the program to a new height,

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

The ONLY team in the SEC worse than us is Arkansas...and it’s close

Arkansas is improving though. Sure they got the snot knocked out of them by Bama but so does everyone. They moved the ball really well on Bama today though. I'm sure Saban isn't happy about the 30 points they gave up but they looked pretty good on offense. Each week you can see Morris stamp on the offense. If they get better with recruiting then they may be in business. 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep I would’ve been fine with him proving me wrong and winning at Arkansas. The argument was that there was nobody else proven and that was true. At this point, I am fine with taking an hungry , innovative coach unless someone is just willing to drop the bag. But with CGM, it is insanity to keep him around if he can’t do better than this after a contract extension and raise.

Our of likes...but agree 100%. 

2 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Its a bad situation for sure. I refuse to believe however, that those that have the money and influence and love our program wouldn’t come up with the buyout if the wheels come off next year.

Dont know about Stoops. Winning at UK is different than Auburn. For one they’re in the East. I remember a lot of folks aying the same about Tubs too...well if he can win at Ole Miss he can win big at Auburn...and I guess he did some but still didn’t elevate the program to a new height,

Even in the East, Stoops is clearly a better coach than Gus. Yes, the East isn't as strong but most except for Tenn are improving. Florida still has issues on offense but they're finding ways to win close games; unlike us. Champ is improving South Carolina. At the moment, i don't see who we'd for sure beat in the East right now so I'd take Stoops in a heartbeat. Winning at a school like Kentucky is big...similar to how Franklin won at Vandy. We can't be scared to take a leap if we're tired of the same ol with Gus. 

Archived