Mississippi State Game Report Card

StatTiger

53 minutes ago, DAG said:

And if the QB isn’t making the simple plays, then what do you think the next step should be as a coach? Blake can be placed all around. But the bottom line is we knew we had issues since the Arkansas game and it has only gotten worse. This was blatantly pointed out. The response was we are a top ten team. The team we are losing to are more talented than us.

Now, both of those are no longer in play. Statistically, the offense is one of the worst in the nation and on the lower end of the SEC. Ultimatelt, this responsibility falls on the man running the show. I don’t know he plans on fixing it, but he needs to fix it and very quickly. He wanted his top tier money, he has his top tier money. Now, he needs to find a way to produce a top tier product.

I think Malik needs some opportunities to see if he can get a jump start to the run game and yes definitely let him make some throws.  I’d say let him have the second or third series in each half just to see what he can do.  

Beyond that for now as a coach you have to decide if you are gonna to go with the “give opportunity” approach to other positions as well.   Do you give some of the young guys chances?  My opinion would be no but that is a chance to shake things up.  My personal approach to all the other positions on the O would be to rep rep rep fundamentals and possibly get some 1v1 or at worst 1v2 for about 20 plays a week in practice.   Competition will expose what has to be improved on and help usher in the experience.  

If the O doesn’t make improvements I have no doubt some changes to the staff will be made.  Where those changes are I don’t know.  Serious looks will have to be given to every offensive coach with probably the exception of Porter and possibly Kodi.  If we were to change OC I would like to think he would have the ability to be able to make staff recommendations.  

For me personally I want what is best for this team.  You do have some leaders laying it in the line every play.  Cox, D. Davis, Brown and Davidson come to mind.  

You never know how a team may respond to essentially being eliminated from their goals.  They could pack it in or not.   Maybe the coaches find a way to get them to play more loose.  They have seemed tight all year trying to make the perfect play.   Just go play football and have fun, try your hardest and let’s the chips fall where they may.

• Like 1

Just now, corchjay said:

I think Malik needs some opportunities to see if he can get a jump start to the run game and yes definitely let him make some throws.  I’d say let him have the second or third series in each half just to see what he can do.  

Beyond that for now as a coach you have to decide if you are gonna to go with the “give opportunity” approach to other positions as well.   Do you give some of the young guys chances?  My opinion would be no but that is a chance to shake things up.  My personal approach to all the other positions on the O would be to rep rep rep fundamentals and possibly get some 1v1 or at worst 1v2 for about 20 plays a week in practice.   Competition will expose what has to be improved on and help usher in the experience.  

If the O doesn’t make improvements I have no doubt some changes to the staff will be made.  Where those changes are I don’t know.  Serious looks will have to be given to every offensive coach with probably the exception of Porter and possibly Kodi.  If we were to change OC I would like to think he would have the ability to be able to make staff recommendations.  

For me personally I want what is best for this team.  You do have some leaders laying it in the line every play.  Cox, D. Davis, Brown and Davidson come to mind.  

You never know how a team may respond to essentially being eliminated from their goals.  They could pack it in or not.   Maybe the coaches find a way to get them to play more loose.  They have seemed tight all year trying to make the perfect play.   Just go play football and have fun, try your hardest and let’s the chips fall where they may.

Quality post. Sorry I have no more reactions .

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Quality post. Sorry I have no more reactions .

Thx.  The biggest issues I see is the lack of interior run game and Stidham lack of pocket awareness or gun shy or whatever you want to call it.  You can’t live running on the edge continually you’ll get out flanked sometimes and lose yardage it’s just how it goes.

if we can improve the interior run game that takes away some of the TFLs.  It also keeps you ahead of the chains on down and distance therefore when you get to 3rd downs it’s not always just pin your ears back to rush the passer.  

On the Stidham issue he is just at the point that you have to face it as a QB in the SEC you are gonna get hit around 8 times a game.  2 to 3 of those shots are gonna be heavy hits.  It happens to every QB.   Do you do your job and throw the strike or do you drift around in the pocket watching the rush?  How you coach that is beyond most coaches.  With the exception of Tua this year every QB in the conference is getting rocked every week over and over.  Sooo....

• Like 1

Just now, corchjay said:

Thx.  The biggest issues I see is the lack of interior run game and Stidham lack of pocket awareness or gun shy or whatever you want to call it.  You can’t live running on the edge continually you’ll get out flanked sometimes and lose yardage it’s just how it goes.

if we can improve the interior run game that takes away some of the TFLs.  It also keeps you ahead of the chains on down and distance therefore when you get to 3rd downs it’s not always just pin your ears back to rush the passer.  

On the Stidham issue he is just at the point that you have to face it as a QB in the SEC you are gonna get hit around 8 times a game.  2 to 3 of those shots are gonna be heavy hits.  It happens to every QB.   Do you do your job and throw the strike or do you drift around in the pocket watching the rush?  How you coach that is beyond most coaches.  With the exception of Tua this year every QB in the conference is getting rocked every week over and over.  Sooo....

I know Austin Allen got rocked all the time. Him and his brother Brandon both use to get killed with the Arkansas O-line but you still have to deliver the ball.

• Love 1

I’ll add one more comment.  I think it was in the USM game.  First and 10 Stidham leaves the pocket early.  This time to the right and escapes the rush gets close to the line of scrimmage and sideline as well.  Flips the call forward about 2 yard and out of bounds.  Instead of picking up 4 yards and stepping out before being tackled

Stidham is a huge issue but I do think if we could improve the interior run game to consistently get 3-4 yards the offense would play much better.  That in my opinion would be the 2 focal points on improving as quickly as possible.  Scary to think about but I think of those 2 the interior run game is probably the easier of the 2 to fix.  

So what I'm seeing you say is Stidham has lost his will to take a hit and run it. I don't believe he even tried to run it last night. Am I wrong?

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Schematically there were big changes in play design and play calls.  Broke tendencies and tried to give Stidham easy throws to get comfortable I think he started out 0 for 4 or 0 for 6...  the changes were there.   However we still can’t run on the interior so we got a away from it a lot and put the ball mostly in the hands of the QB.  He failed to deliver not saying it’s all his fault but if you put the game in the QBs hands and he plays horrible I’m not sure what more you can do.  There were many new route combinations to try to work with the “pass first” philosophy and multiple times they worked and players running open all over the place but just couldn’t hit them with the pass

I agree with Corch that the offensive scheme was better and some different play calling was evident (although still WAY too much depending on inside running).  At least 3 long, wide open, pass plays (one a brilliant trick play) were all wasted by JS's overthrows and I may have O&B shaders here but I believe both Fitz's supposed TD & Boobee's supposed fumble could & should have been over turned.  I'll admit Boobee's fumble was a tad more questionable due to the camera angle but the EZ camera on Fitz's TD clearly showed his back on the EZ line while the ball was not.  That was indisputable.  But when you suck, you don't get the brakes.  That's a fact.

However, there was still MASSIVE coaching failures in getting the team prepared, some very questionable in game decisions (why is Malik in for 2 plays but you run 3rd down with Kam as wildcat?) and the mentality of this offense is just pure SOFT.  It's even seemingly bled over to the defense last night as that was, by far, the poorest tackling I've seen since the CEJ days.... they made Fitz look like Cam.  Also, had anyone called into question the Offensive Lines' S&C program?  It's clear that Auburn has good strength & conditioning available but do they even make the O-Linemen participate?  ASU aside, they get straight up whipped by EVERYONE (including Southern Miss).

I support the players.  I believe they have solid & talented players available for every position on the team.  However, on offense, they are not being coached worth a damn!  Gus should give 50% of his pay straight up to Kevin Steele and then split 20% among the other defensive coaches (then they get to beat up the offensive coaches and take their pay).  Then the final 30% back to anyone who's paid for a ticket to watch this trash.  ...and since UDub, yes, it's been trash.

War Eagle to the players and defensive staff.  Y'all don't deserve this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FormerlySec38Row34 said:

So what I'm seeing you say is Stidham has lost his will to take a hit and run it. I don't believe he even tried to run it last night. Am I wrong?

I don’t remember one attempt to get up field.  I saw some times in obvious pass situations where we got completely whipped on the edges.  That’s not on JS at all.  But blitz pickup was better and sure they got to him a couple times but you know how to counter that make the right read identify the blitz and go where the ball is supposed to go.  He hasn’t done that at all.  He’s been hit no more then Sean White was but Sean would identify the blitz and might throw off balance but would make the defense pay for choosing to blitz.  If you keep folding like a tent why would they not continue to come with pressure?

6 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I don’t remember one attempt to get up field.  I saw some times in obvious pass situations where we got completely whipped on the edges.  That’s not on JS at all.  But blitz pickup was better and sure they got to him a couple times but you know how to counter that make the right read identify the blitz and go where the ball is supposed to go.  He hasn’t done that at all.  He’s been hit no more then Sean White was but Sean would identify the blitz and might throw off balance but would make the defense pay for choosing to blitz.  If you keep folding like a tent why would they not continue to come with pressure?

Yeah, I agree.  Not trying to be too hard on a player (not my style) but if he regresses too much more, she's gonna give the ring back.  :whistle:

Edited by AUsince72
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Yeah, I agree.  Not trying to be too hard on a player (not my style) but if he regresses too much more, she's gonna give the ring back.  :whistle:

I’m not trying to be hard on him just calling it like I see it.  Arm talent is incredible.  He’s had pocket awareness issues since being at AU before any hits.  He tried to address it with the coaches this year and also went outside the staff to work on it with private instructors.  So bottom line is it the teacher(s) or student?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

I’m not trying to be hard on him just calling it like I see it.  Arm talent is incredible.  He’s had pocket awareness issues since being at AU before any hits.  He tried to address it with the coaches this year and also went outside the staff to work on it with private instructors.  So bottom line is it the teacher(s) or student?

Not saying you were (I was just "apologizing" for the joke I was about to tell).

You're seeing it correctly, in my eyes.  He's trying.  I think he WANTS it.  Not saying he ain't capable of being as good as any QB out there. Just nothing is lining up for him....2018 just ain't his year. 

22 minutes ago, corchjay said:

You're right. The 4th and 7 play was a prime example. The corner was blitzing and he missed the WR that was left by the corner. He could have easily made the first down. Instead, he tried to force a ball into coverage, and it was late to boot. Some of the hits he's taking are of his own making.

Edited by FormerlySec38Row34
Added thought.
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Well , he asked for more responsibility. You put yourself in that position and don’t deliver people are going to be more harsh critics. Same thing with Gus and his contract. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Well , he asked for more responsibility. You put yourself in that position and don’t deliver people are going to be more harsh critics. Same thing with Gus and his contract. 

People can criticize who they want, I'm no judge, it's just not me when it comes to the college kids.  I just had that joke in my head and ran with it at his expense.  But you know, regardless of how he plays, he's gonna be a zillionaire soon so he don't care what I think.

As for the publicly stated "responsibility"?  I think that turned out false anyway.  They are too awfully meerkat for me to believe he really has the freedom to change plays.  Just my opinion...

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

People can criticize who they want, I'm no judge, it's just not me when it comes to the college kids.  I just had that joke in my head and ran with it at his expense.  But you know, regardless of how he plays, he's gonna be a zillionaire soon so he don't care what I think.

As for the publicly stated "responsibility"?  I think that turned out false anyway.  They are too awfully meerkat for me to believe he really has the freedom to change plays.  Just my opinion...

I doubt Gus cares what you think as well. Either way, like Corch says, call it like you see it. JS will have to get better and Gus will have to get better among as other parts of the team. I do think their is a disconnect between JS and the coaching staff. I also think there may be a disconnect among the staff. It just doesn’t look any fun out there for the boys. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

I doubt Gus cares what you think as well. Either way, like Corch says, call it like you see it. JS will have to get better and Gus will have to get better among as other parts of the team. I do think their is a disconnect between JS and the coaching staff. I also think there may be a disconnect among the staff. It just doesn’t look any fun out there for the boys. 

Now that just hurts DAG.  You didn't have to go there. 😉

Everything else, you're dead on.  I've had my tin foil hat on since Arky week.

I am not for laying this all on JS’s feet.  He has to reform, no doubt and this is his 4th year but.... Our QB coaching and early play calling has left a lot to be desired.   JS hit these passes last year, I just don’t believe he is as prepared.       

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Now that just hurts DAG.  You didn't have to go there. 😉

Everything else, you're dead on.  I've had my tin foil hat on since Arky week.

Bahaha we got to endure the pain brother. JS will be making his millions away from us but there is Gus....

• Haha 1

I think many of us have gone beyond frustration straight on to anger. Not that it matters. Nothing we can really do about it anyway. Just sit back and think about what could have been. 

Contender.gif

5 hours ago, corchjay said:

Gus did step up to the mic and say the issues are on him and he has to get them fixed.   He did however also said as a team we can’t go on the road and make the mistakes we made and get out with a win.  He was visibly pissed but he will never throw a player under the bus.  And also commented he was proud of how hard the guys played but can’t continue to make mistakes 

Is this where you say he is pissed and takes "accountability" for the loss?  'Cause it still sounds like coach speak to me.

6 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Is this where you say he is pissed and takes "accountability" for the loss?  'Cause it still sounds like coach speak to me.

Yes.  Like I said before people see and hear what they want.  Said it starts with him on playing better... not sure what part of that isn’t accountability 

20 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Yes.  Like I said before people see and hear what they want.  Said it starts with him on playing better... not sure what part of that isn’t accountability 

Let's see, he starts with Yes he was satisfied the the preparation for the game (coaching right?).  Then he blames mistakes, then he praises players for playing hard, then the ends with WE'VE got to coach'em better and that starts with me.  So yeah, he did get around to it, but in the weakest way. 

But, you're right, we do hear what we want.  One of the amazing things about humans is their ability for bias and to suspend belief for a cause they believe in.

5 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

But, you're right, we do hear what we want.  One of the amazing things about humans is their ability for bias and to suspend belief for a cause they believe in.

And with that.  I believe in Auburn and love it