Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs Miss State

JMR

One of things I noticed is on the inside runs by Fitzgerald is that Davis was running out of the middle to cover the sweep man leaving the middle wide open. 

• Like 2

I saw a team in moo st that was fired up and ready to play and a team in AU that seemed to have zero fire in their belly to win this game. As poorly as this team played we still had plenty of chances to come out on top even if we didn't deserve to win.The refs absolutely killed us with every review of critical plays.

Also, when you're a team that is struggling mistakes are deadly. Fumbled punt return netted 7 points for state. Fumbled TD run resulted 0 points for us.

• RunInRed pinned and featured this topic

I did don’t see any good play on JS’s part. Go back and look at that long pass down the side line . He was running backwards and just heaved the ball without even looking much. We were lucky it was in the area of the reciever and the reciever fought for the ball and made the catch. JS was pretty much pitiful all night.

• Like 1

A few notes to add to Coach's excellent points. 

MSU had possession of the ball for 21:40 in the 1st half.  They had it for 41:53 for the game. 

We had one drive of 11 plays in the first half resulting in a missed FG.  The rest of the first half we ran 13 plays.  

We have yet to see Stidham make a play change at the line without looking to the sidelines. Was Gus truthful in saying Stidham would have the freedom to do so?

I agree on the missed tackles, just awful.  The DEs were crashing most of the game and losing outside containment.  If that isn't bad enough they weren't getting to the point of attack to stop the up the middle runs either.

Credit MSU though, they came to play.  Their plan on both sides was almost flawless and they whipped our butts on both sides of the ball.

This was IMO one of the worst all around performances by an Auburn team in a long time.  

• Like 7

I think I saw an Auburn team that has been relying on its defense for 5 games, and the one game they struggle a bit, the offense can do nothing to help. I think I saw the defense getting a little tired of carrying the load with no end in sight. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, creed said:

One of things I noticed is on the inside runs by Fitzgerald is that Davis was running out of the middle to cover the sweep man leaving the middle wide open. 

remember when teams would do this with Chizik's tampa 2 all the time, drove me nuts

2 hours ago, creed said:

You are correct but at least Steele and Davis both owned that problem. They admitted their fault and I’m sure they will fix it. Problem on the other side is no one is owning the offense problems and have not all year. That leads me to believe they will NOT get it fixed.

9 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

You are correct but at least Steele and Davis both owned that problem. They admitted their fault and I’m sure they will fix it. Problem on the other side is no one is owning the offense problems and have not all year. That leads me to believe they will NOT get it fixed.

Yea on them correcting but we knew what they were going to do coming into the game and yet our top 5 D was not disciplined enough to stop it. Disappointing 

• WarTiger changed the title to Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs Miss State
Just now, lala said:

Yea on them correcting but we knew what they were going to do coming into the game and yet our top 5 D was not disciplined enough to stop it. Disappointing 

I agree but my point is we all make mistakes from time to time but we must accept them and learn from them. Gus has no idea how to do that. He considers hisself as perfect therefore no need to change. It always someone else’s fault.

• Like 1

The problem in my humble opinion is that no one on the offense coaching staff knows how to correct the problems. We have a QB that is shell shocked trying not to get hit and throwing the ball as quickly as he can. This has his accuracy way off. The offensive line has been ignored in recuriting for several years and really has not been developed at all. The offensive line still seems confused about their assignments and our tackles cannot handle any quick DE. Our RBs are small backs we don't have the big power back. This combined with offense line problems and Gus's stubbornness that he is going to run up the middle doesn't work. In no way should it take a couple of quarters to figure that out. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Thanks Coach. Read everyone of these and never miss the podcast.  WDE 

• Like 1

In my opinion this game showed just how bad Auburn’s in game adjustments are handled.   For some reason the defense was more concerning to me than the offense.   They basically ran three plays and no adjustment were made to stop the plays.   The quarterback read option sweep (the play that Cam perfected) we had no answer.    Their QB ran for 5 yards shy of 200.   That is quite honestly, unacceptable.   He is their only weapon and, AU had no answer. 

The offense stinks and if only three plays are made AU wins.   Now that is just how bad Mississippi State is and speaks of the failure how bad the offense is playing.   The game was decided by missed opportunities and a bad play review of their touchdown.  I thought Whitlow lost control of the ball just before going over the line.   The ball to Slayton was as bad as a poor high school qb would throw.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another note from last night I saw a diverse offense with off tackle plays with pulling guards , tight-end passes, half-back screens, intermediate passes, and do deep throws. But execution was missing. With that we still had a chance to win the game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tigercj said:

We have a QB that is shell shocked

You’re right about that. Now let me pose this question. Who can he count on to lead and develop him out of it? Gus? When is the last time you’ve seen Gus get with any QB and have a heart to heart when they come off the field after a mistake or bad drive? He never does. He mumbles something to some 20 something year old guy on the sideline who walks over  to Jarret to relay Gus’s info. Chip Lindsay? He’s in the press box, which is fine when things go well but when there is a debacle, he needs to come down and teach, coach, and lead. I agree with you that JS is floundering, but he lacks a leader to fix it. JS would throw for 3500 hundred yards and 30 TDs with Jimbo Fisher as his coach. I feel for him. 

mod edit:  leave the players alone I realize the horrible OL play amplifies this, but he has some scaredy-cat tendencies that come naturally. As long as that continues, things will only get worse as the season progresses.

5 hours ago, JMR said:

State’s ability to outflank the Auburn defense was a huge factor in the game. Auburn was unable to set the edge almost throughout the game.

That was frustrating to see.  We were beat by alignment several times and you knew they would go outside before the ball was snapped.

Jarret Stidham looks like he wishes he had gone to the NFL last year, because he sure as hell isn't going after this year.  And that's bad for AU. 

Hope the OP doesn't mind if we complain about Gus after this ugly disappointment of a game.

The more I watch Auburn play the more it seems that our coaching staff does no have new game plans.  Every game we seems to run the exact same plays, it reminds of a high school program.  Our coaching staff does not appear to be able to make on the fly adjustments but rather just keep running the same plays hoping for a different results.  Two years ago it was Rhett Lashley that was the problem and now a hand picked OC and yet this offense looks exactly the same as pre Chip Lindsey era.  The common dominorator is CGM.  Why is it so hard for CGM to just let go of the offense and let someone else run it.  Auburn and Gus will never improve until he becomes the CEO Head Coach the the neighbor to the north has.  You pay assistances big money so empower them to run their offense.....not sure if we will win another SEC game but one thing is for sure we better learn from history or we will surely repeat it again.

Just my take....

Edited by gc2525
  • Facepalm 1

16 minutes ago, gc2525 said:

The more I watch Auburn play the more it seems that our coaching staff does no have new game plans.  Every game we seems to run the exact same plays, it reminds of a high school program.  Our coaching staff does not appear to be able to make on the fly adjustments but rather just keep running the same plays hoping for a different results.  Two years ago it was Rhett Lashley that was the problem and now a hand picked OC and yet this offense looks exactly the same as pre Chip Lindsey era.  The common dominorator is CGM.  Why is it so hard for CGM to just let go of the offense and let someone else run it.  Auburn and Gus will never improve until he becomes the CEO Head Coach the the neighbor to the north has.  You pay assistances big money so empower them to run their offense.....not sure if we will win another SEC game but one thing is for sure we better learn from history or we will surely repeat it again.

Just my take....

Did you watch the game last night?  None of our offense was the same as before except possibly lining up.  Many different play calls.  We have to try to establish the inside zone and power but after it failed we went outside with the buck sweep.  Stidham has the rolling pocket early and I think he started 0-6 or somewhere around there.  We went to a more quick pass game and completed about 50 percent of those.  There was plenty of adjustments and scheme manipulation to say “different things” were tried.  We had 3 perfectly timed called plays that should have been TDs.  

I guess people see what they want to see.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

They have played six games and there has been little to no improvement from Stidham and the offense. I don't see them turning things around anytime soon. :bricks: