Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs Miss State

JMR

6 hours ago, corchjay said:

Did you watch the game last night?  None of our offense was the same as before except possibly lining up.  Many different play calls.  We have to try to establish the inside zone and power but after it failed we went outside with the buck sweep.  Stidham has the rolling pocket early and I think he started 0-6 or somewhere around there.  We went to a more quick pass game and completed about 50 percent of those.  There was plenty of adjustments and scheme manipulation to say “different things” were tried.  We had 3 perfectly timed called plays that should have been TDs.  

I guess people see what they want to see.  

Out of likes. But I like that a lot. Thanks!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ALTiger said:

In the second half towards the end they were going tempo with quick slants...and it was working...why can't we do this to start the game?!

Its only partially working if you can't score!

15 hours ago, gc2525 said:

The more I watch Auburn play the more it seems that our coaching staff does no have new game plans.  Every game we seems to run the exact same plays, it reminds of a high school program.  Our coaching staff does not appear to be able to make on the fly adjustments but rather just keep running the same plays hoping for a different results.  Two years ago it was Rhett Lashley that was the problem and now a hand picked OC and yet this offense looks exactly the same as pre Chip Lindsey era.  The common dominorator is CGM.  Why is it so hard for CGM to just let go of the offense and let someone else run it.  Auburn and Gus will never improve until he becomes the CEO Head Coach the the neighbor to the north has.  You pay assistances big money so empower them to run their offense.....not sure if we will win another SEC game but one thing is for sure we better learn from history or we will surely repeat it again.

Just my take....

You must not have watched the 2nd half of the game. I saw a different game plan on O. Unfortunately I saw few adjustments on D. 

Basically agree with you, @corchjay. First half was a disaster and State's clock-draining drives were absolutely KILLER. Kudos to them for executing their game plan nearly to perfection all night long. Their defense was also extremely fired up and continued to make big stops when they needed to while our defense decided to pick that night to tackle worse than any Auburn team in the last 2-3 years at least. I can't tell you how many times I saw DW just dive at Fitzgerald or the RB and come up empty. :glare:

I did see the changes in the offense and it really did help bring some momentum back in our favor but the missed opportunities continue to plague us. As exciting as Whitlow's almost-TD run was, I wanted to curse him for trying to lay out for it. But at least he tried to get us back in it!

Stidham.. we know his faults. He's regressed tremendously, especially on his deep balls. But what concerns me most now is the confidence his WR corp has in him. If you go back and watch the play where he misses Slayton, on the sideline he goes over to Slayton and is basically saying that it was his fault, but Slayton just kind of nods and walks off. The look on his face spoke volumes though. They are not happy with him.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ALTiger said:

In the second half towards the end they were going tempo with quick slants...and it was working...why can't we do this to start the game?!

I think Chip trashed the play card Gus gives him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Linayus said:

Basically agree with you, @corchjay. First half was a disaster and State's clock-draining drives were absolutely KILLER. Kudos to them for executing their game plan nearly to perfection all night long. Their defense was also extremely fired up and continued to make big stops when they needed to while our defense decided to pick that night to tackle worse than any Auburn team in the last 2-3 years at least. I can't tell you how many times I saw DW just dive at Fitzgerald or the RB and come up empty. :glare:

I did see the changes in the offense and it really did help bring some momentum back in our favor but the missed opportunities continue to plague us. As exciting as Whitlow's almost-TD run was, I wanted to curse him for trying to lay out for it. But at least he tried to get us back in it!

Stidham.. we know his faults. He's regressed tremendously, especially on his deep balls. But what concerns me most now is the confidence his WR corp has in him. If you go back and watch the play where he misses Slayton, on the sideline he goes over to Slayton and is basically saying that it was his fault, but Slayton just kind of nods and walks off. The look on his face spoke volumes though. They are not happy with him.

I think he has become very gun shy because he has no faith, and rightfully so, in his O Line.  Even when he has time he is rushing the passes.  He is putting the ball where it is supposed to be but since he rushed it, the WR doesn't have time to get to the spot.  

On 10/7/2018 at 10:41 AM, aubaseball said:

In my opinion this game showed just how bad Auburn’s in game adjustments are handled.   For some reason the defense was more concerning to me than the offense.   They basically ran three plays and no adjustment were made to stop the plays.   The quarterback read option sweep (the play that Cam perfected) we had no answer.    Their QB ran for 5 yards shy of 200.   That is quite honestly, unacceptable.   He is their only weapon and, AU had no answer. 

:bow:

That right there pissed me off to no end!  

Good for Steele/Davis owning up to the errors, but why the hell didn't Steele make changes during the game?  My God, by the 2nd qtr we could see what was happening and it's on Steele & his defensive leaders to recognize the problem and do something/anything to make a change and fix it before the dang QB reels off 200 yrds rushing straight up the middle.  Adjust the defense, change coverage's, plug up the middle and put a spy on Fitz he was their only offensive weapon and Moorehead used him over and over and over again because Steele never put up any resistance all night long.  All I ask is for the coaches to DO something constructive and a least act like you see what we see and the deficiencies are being addressed, then I'll accept your ownership of the failures in the press conference a whole lot better.

Edited by keesler

Is it possible that Steele is playing very conservatively to avoid giving up the big play since he knows our offense isn't going to be scoring any points the rest of the season?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Is it possible that Steele is playing very conservatively to avoid giving up the big play since he knows our offense isn't going to be scoring any points the rest of the season?

It seemed like we stayed in the same defensive package all night. I'd have gone to a traditional 4-3 and let the MLB focus on Fitz the entire night. Every time he ran up the middle we were always coming at him from one side or the other with arm tackles instead of head on.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2018 at 8:03 PM, corchjay said:

Did you watch the game last night?  None of our offense was the same as before except possibly lining up.  Many different play calls.  We have to try to establish the inside zone and power but after it failed we went outside with the buck sweep.  Stidham has the rolling pocket early and I think he started 0-6 or somewhere around there.  We went to a more quick pass game and completed about 50 percent of those.  There was plenty of adjustments and scheme manipulation to say “different things” were tried.  We had 3 perfectly timed called plays that should have been TDs.  

I guess people see what they want to see.  

Yes, I did watch the game....and obviously you are seeing different plays that I saw.   What I saw was the same old WR screens, WR quick throws, and WR down the sidelines.  Wait almost forgot the try to run the ball between the tackles to get nothing.  I saw the plays before they snapped the ball and if I can read what is coming before the play starts I am sure that the opposing team can see it as well.  Face it, there has been no improvement in our offense since the Washington game.  It would be one thing if we saw some improvements or shooting our self in the foot mistakes on long sustained drives but neither are the case.  I am just tired of hearing the same old excuses but at what point does it become apparent that the offensive staff is lacking the ability to game plan and make adjustments on the fly.

"It was frustrating to see the AU offense begin the game by trying to establish the inside zone against State’s excellent interior defensive line ... "

This.

I would add: "It was frustrating to see the AU offense begin the game by trying to establish the inside zone given the known issues with the interior of AU's offensive line."

The Inside Zone requires the OL to be good. It typically requires 5 offensive linemen to block four defensive linemen. The TE or H-Back may block a DE/OLB, making it 6 vs. 4, but in either case there are two LBs behind the DL who need to be blocked as well. A OL/TE/HB engaged in a double-team block is supposed to release after a brief double team and block an LB. And this assumes the WRs are effectively keeping the CBs and NB out of the play by either running a route or blocking.

The Inside Zone Read Option play allows the OL to leave the back-side DE/OLB unblocked to gain a numbers advantage (5 on 3). We rarely run the Zone Read Option any more because we do not want to put Stidham at risk.

With the OL being a weakness, the traditional Inside Zone is not a good play for us to run.