Article on Gus’ buyout

jmcrosson

22 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I know there is a lot of uncertainty about Gatewood, but it would be nice to see him come in for a series or 2 if we are  comfortable ahead or if all else goes south and we need a change at the QB. I remember that Marshall was a DB before becoming a solid QB that as a true 100% DT, QB.

Sometimes things like this work out well. Here are some stats for senior 17-18 age

Games Played: 15

1425 yards passing:

TD passes: 12

Attempts:168

Completions: 115

Int: 1

Games Played: 15

Rushing: 1108 yards

Total Carries:166

Avg: 6.7 yards

yards per game: 74

longest run: 64

100 plus: 4

TD: 16

These are good numbers no doubt. He has the looks and stats of a Dual Threat QB. This was at IMG against very good competition. Just thought I would give this information for all to see.

•  

I agree that he is the mold that fits CGMs offense.   I would like to see him in action too.  Just not sure that he will get the chance.   I believe that he is the same player as MSUs QB.   If that play that was working against us is ran correctly, it’s very hard to stop.    Cam made a lot of money off that play.  I also think that you have someone that can get out of a bad pass rush situation and make positive yardage, he doesn’t have to be a high percentage passer.  

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am just aghast with how badly we have screwed ourselves in a way we could've easily avoided. I fear that ~2021-23 will come around and at some point then Gus suddenly recruit/coach his butt off, save his job and get another huge contract extension. I think there's a chance we never beat our rivals again--Tennessee level fall. /vent

On 10/10/2018 at 3:23 PM, aujeff11 said:

Leath is the school President. He isn’t gone over a disappointing football season. 

No he is gone over a stupid contract and waste of AU money. Not for giving Gus a raise but for making the stupid buyout. Heck Nick only has an 8 million by out. Gus has done nothing to warrant that type buy out. I think the President most assuredly needs to be fired for wasting AU money.

while we are on the subject I keep hearing who would we go after. Most any Power 5 coach would do as well with AU as Gus has probably better. Gus is a one trick pony and once others figured it out he doesn’t have anything left. I guarantee you if we go after any other coach in the SEC or Big 10 they would exceed what Gus has done because they can get the same talent and coaches he has.

7 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

No he is gone over a stupid contract and waste of AU money

All Leath has to say is well we didn’t have an AD, and decisions had to be made. People were going to complain all offseason if he let Arkansas poach him after winning back back against number one teams. Let’s call it like it is. 

Doesn’t matter what he says the board should fire him for cause. Nobody offers that kind of buyout to a guy that hasn’t won squat yet. You know  if I’m a board member I have to question his ability to be making further financial decisions for AU

7 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Doesn’t matter what he says the board should fire him for cause. Nobody offers that kind of buyout to a guy that hasn’t won squat yet. You know  if I’m a board member I have to question his ability to be making further financial decisions for AU

I don’t care to defend tbe contract. The results are obviously underwhelming but no president is getting fired over dissatisfied football fans. You don’t even know if the contract is a waste of money yet. If Gus turned it around next year, and coached every year of the contract, not a peep would be said about the contract. 

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I don’t care to defend tbe contract. The results are obviously underwhelming but no president is getting fired over dissatisfied football fans. You don’t even know if the contract is a waste of money yet. If Gus turned it around next year, and coached every year of the contract, not a peep would be said about the contract. 

I would bet money that Gus won’t fill out this contract. At some point we “will” buy Gus out. And yes the President does have to be judged on his actions and they definitely were not smart whether Gus stays or goes.

22 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

And yes the President does have to be judged on his actions and they definitely were not smart whether Gus stays or goes.

It’s never going to be “smart” unless it works out. If we let Gus walk after the end of last year, it wouldn’t have been “smart.” The fans would’ve roasted him alive worst than the Bruce Pearl situation. It was the fans wanting recruiting stability.

22 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I would bet money that Gus won’t fill out this contract.

Maybe not. Leath doesn’t have a CB to help guide his business decisions though. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

I agree with what  you have to say. I do not see the president getting fired over Gus. However, if things go south in a very bad way, I do not see us keeping him as our HC past the 2019 season regardless of any buyout amount. If we go coach searching at the end of the 2019 season, we could get a very solid coach with tremendous upside for half of what we are paying Gus. Some coaches we could get at that price would be:

1. Dave Aranda -LSU DC with a proven track record

2. Brent Venables- Clemson DC with a very solid track record

3. Matt Campbell - Iowa State HC..He turned the Cyclones around quickly and has beaten Oklahoma

4. Norvell - Memphis Univ. HC. There has been zeero drop off from when Fuentes was HC at Memphis.  Great coach that is doing an excellent job

5. PJ Fleck - HC at Minnesota. He is in the process of rebuilding that program and will post nice numbers in the future

6. Jeff Brahm - HC at Purdue. Has put up some gaudy numbers offensively there. Is turning that program around and is doing a solid job.

7. Justin Fuentes - HC Va Tech. Has a proven track record and is doing a nice job a VT (I know that lost to an unknown weakling, but over all, he is doing a fine job.

Any of these men would make an excellent HC for us. There are others I am sure of that I cannot think of currently.

8 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I agree with what  you have to say. I do not see the president getting fired over Gus. However, if things go south in a very bad way, I do not see us keeping him as our HC past the 2019 season regardless of any buyout amount. If we go coach searching at the end of the 2019 season, we could get a very solid coach with tremendous upside for half of what we are paying Gus. Some coaches we could get at that price would be:

1. Dave Aranda -LSU DC with a proven track record

2. Brent Venables- Clemson DC with a very solid track record

3. Matt Campbell - Iowa State HC..He turned the Cyclones around quickly and has beaten Oklahoma

4. Norvell - Memphis Univ. HC. There has been zeero drop off from when Fuentes was HC at Memphis.  Great coach that is doing an excellent job

5. PJ Fleck - HC at Minnesota. He is in the process of rebuilding that program and will post nice numbers in the future

6. Jeff Brahm - HC at Purdue. Has put up some gaudy numbers offensively there. Is turning that program around and is doing a solid job.

7. Justin Fuentes - HC Va Tech. Has a proven track record and is doing a nice job a VT (I know that lost to an unknown weakling, but over all, he is doing a fine job.

Any of these men would make an excellent HC for us. There are others I am sure of that I cannot think of currently.

Those are quality choices. I commend you for not listing Kiffin also. I’d rather root for grass to grow. 

Archived