Article on Gus’ buyout

jmcrosson

On 10/8/2018 at 7:13 PM, doc4aday said:

If we go 6-6 this season and 6-6 in 2019, you can bet the bank that we will have a new coach in 2020. It could happen mid season of 2019 if we are sitting around 2-4, it could happen mid season with Steele filling in as interim coach. I would think if this happened, we would see what Chip could really do if left to his own coaching skills.

I want nothing more than to see us go 9-3 for this season, but realize that this would be a huge stretch no doubt. If we wind up going 8-4 this season, I can give Gus another year. Like I have said, if he implodes we could see some ugly football the rest of this season and into 2019. 

We could lose every single remaining game this year and next, and he is still the coach in 2021

4 hours ago, shabby said:

so bottom line. what would have to happen for Gus to be gone. I honestly feel that if we end up with a 5 and 7 season with a win over Liberty and no bowl game that would be it. I find it hard to believe that a paying a buy out would be more costly than having the program self destruct in slow motion. 

What would it take? A time machine. That's the only thing that gets Malzahn gone before 2021. Or some school is stupid enough to take him off our hands. 

25 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

We could literally lose every remaining game including Liberty and he will be back next year.

And next year, and he would be back the next. After year 3, it's still like 16 million dollars. That amount isn't getting paid to Malzahn to NOT coach at Auburn. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

What Matt Campbell is doing at Iowa St is amazing. 

I agree with you and @doc4aday. I never thought I'd ever want anything from Iowa State ever again, but he has that team going. Bringing him in would be a lot different than bringing in a 5-7 coach from there. Campbell is legit. 

18 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

We could lose every single remaining game this year and next, and he is still the coach in 2021

What would it take? A time machine. That's the only thing that gets Malzahn gone before 2021. Or some school is stupid enough to take him off our hands. 

And next year, and he would be back the next. After year 3, it's still like 16 million dollars. That amount isn't getting paid to Malzahn to NOT coach at Auburn. 

The big money supporters would pony up whatever is needed to buy Gus out if it came to that. If we go 6-6 this season and something along the line of 5-7 for 2019 Gus would be gone. Believe me, I want Gus to get things turned around and make all of this a moot point. Who knows, this team could get hot and put together a string of wins like last year. The odds of this happening are nowhere as good as they were in 2017. I hope and pray that we start come Saturday, to make a statement and get the offense working and the defense back to where they were earlier on this season.

The loss to MSU reminds me a lot of last year's loss to UCF in the bowl game in some ways. We had our chances against MSU and were robbed a TD by Boobee. If that play had been reviewed properly, the score would have been 16-13. We missed a TD when the receiver dropped a throw that would have given us 7 points instead of 3. If JS had led his receiver properly who was 15 yards wide open, we have another 7 points. We would be looking at a very real chance of a win.

26 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I agree with you and @doc4aday. I never thought I'd ever want anything from Iowa State ever again, but he has that team going. Bringing him in would be a lot different than bringing in a 5-7 coach from there. Campbell is legit. 

We could get him for around half of what we are paying Gus. He would have us playing lights out football in a short period of time. 

51 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

you forget, we have some deep pockets that would come through and pony up to take care of Gus. We do not have to pay him the buyout in one payment and would likely pay it off in 3-5 years. If we were lets say Ole Miss and had a coach with Gus's contract, then we would be looking at a much worse scenario with not being able pay off a coach. I think AD Greene should at the end of the season if the wheels come off worse than what we might think, to strongly encourage Gus to make some real changes and ones that would involve some staff changes mostly on the offense side of the ball and who knows, a change with CKS if his defense implodes. 

This is less likely though on the defensive side of the ball.  I would love to see Coach Garner step in as DC possibly. I think he would do a nice job.

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I don't think we should fire Gus. To your point,  however,  Charlie Weis was paid $19 million to not coach at Notre Dame. That buyout started almost ten years ago, so a buyout of $32 million that much later is not out of the question.

What it would truly do is cripple our ability to make additional advances. It kill stadium renovation plans, football facility timelines, all sorts of things. THAT to me is what's really at risk here.

It was a dumb contract to sign in the first place . Leath should have it shoved where the sun doesn’t shine and keep it there till he figures out a way to get rid of Gus. That said while $32 million sounds like a lot put in terms like this. The scholarship partpaid with your season ticket amounts to about $50 mill a year. They actually pay would be 15 mil now and the rest paid over 4 years or about 4 mill per year. So yes AU could do it now if they wanted to. Problem is jerk Leath realizes he screwed up but doesn’t want to admit it. I think to start things off we need to push to have Leath terminated. A new prez wouldn’t have a dog in the fight so he would go the way of least resistance.

I swear some of y'all (as well as the numbskulls who like to call in to the local radio shows) act like Steven Leath and Allen Green were pernicious in extending Gus' contract because there's no excuse for why they didn't go hop on over to the talking mirror and crystal ball to find out that Gus' was really just a high school coach pretending to be a college head coach.

I'm unhappy about the way this season is turning out too but give it a rest. In truth we probably expected too much out of O-Line and RB corps when no one of that group had been proven at the SEC level and it's adversely affect the offense as a whole. Additionally we expected too much of our position coaches to just wave a magic wand and turn everyone into world beaters overnight. Regardless, Gus will be Auburn's coach for the next few years.

I know everyone hates beating the same ole statistics around but can you tell me how many actives coaches have beaten Nick Saban and Alabama? It's two. And one of them has a pretty cushy job up north. So what up and coming coach can you honestly say right now is worth 50-60 million dollars? Because any other coach worth their salt has a hefty buyout on top of what we'd have to pay to keep him here. Maybe looking at upwards of 100 million...

You're probably better off tossing them pennies in the well hoping we can pull Bill Belichick from New England.

Who cares about Nick Saban. He isn't a Demi god . He can be beaten. Hugh Freeze beat him with BroWallace at QB. Saban has nothing to do with Auburn. Let’s start worrying about Auburn.

On 10/8/2018 at 6:46 PM, doc4aday said:

I think James Franklin would be a definite upgrade. Fuentes would be an upgrade as well. I love Matt Campbell's intensity and his approach. FLeck walked into a tough situation at Minnesota and is slowly turning the program around. He did wonders at his previous gigs. Norvell at Memphis is doing a solid job and has shown he can win at a school that rarely finishes about .500.

Mark Richt would be a nice choice as would be Lane kiffin, Jeff Brahms,  Dave Aranda (DC for LSU & very high energy coach). I would like to hear other options that could be a good fit & David Shaw at Stanford.

Big fat NO to Mark Richt. While he consistently gave Georgia 9+ wins a season and is one hell of a recruiter, he was never able to get Georgia over the hump. 

Now David Shaw...David Shaw I'd get 110% on board with. Especially if he brings Ron Gould (RB coach) with him.

9 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

I swear some of y'all (as well as the numbskulls who like to call in to the local radio shows) act like Steven Leath and Allen Green were pernicious in extending Gus' contract because there's no excuse for why they didn't go hop on over to the talking mirror and crystal ball to find out that Gus' was really just a high school coach pretending to be a college head coach.

Crystal balls look into the future.  All they had to do was look in the past to know he is pretending.

On 10/8/2018 at 10:10 PM, sevenlee36 said:

What Matt Campbell is doing at Iowa St is amazing. 

Please no more Iowa State connections :D

If Aranda can recruit, he would be an excellent hire.    Auburn needs a defensive minded coach with the mindset  to hire a offensive coach that has a philosophy of multiple formations 

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

If Aranda can recruit, he would be an excellent hire.    Auburn needs a defensive minded coach with the mindset  to hire a offensive coach that has a philosophy of multiple formations 

He is my #1 pick. Great defensive mind. Needs to just bring in an offensive person to offset it .

Whatever direction we go in when that time comes, I hope we don't over emphasize the future coach's past as a standout OC or DC because their past in leading an offensive or defensive unit has very little value when it comes to predicting their ability as a HC.

Chizik, a great defensive mind, had the most atrocious defenses in AU history in his HC tenure

Look at our offenses now under Gus the offensive mastermind.

I want somebody that has proven to know how to run a program. The intricacies of being a stud OC or DC and how much time is necessary to be masterful in those positions is completely different than what is on a HC's plate. Dabo and Urban have never called plays in their lives on either side of the ball. This is the type of coach I want. A leader. Not a guy who's great at calling offenses or defenses because they won't be doing that here. Or they shouldn't be anyway. There is too much baby kissing and media circuit stuff HCs have to do to adequately call games based on opponents tendencies and weaknesses.

We are currently stuck with a HC that is an offensive wiz but unable to put in the time necessary as a playcaller to be that offensive wiz. So what exactly do we have him for? I'm not saying "let Gus call the plays" because he simply does not have the time to prep his offense for the week for the opponent and his playcalling has suffered ever since he had to call a game that required more than running 3 plays as was the case in 2013.

Great discussion on this subject. I hope that JS can have a break out game against UT and gain some confidence to carry into the last 6 games of the season.  I think we finish the 2nd part of the season 3-3 or maybe 4-2. If we finish better than 4-2, then Gus & company will have righted the ship as well as it could be righted.

If things go badly, a 2-4 finish could happen. I think the UT game is going to give us some idea of if we have licked our wounds and are prepared to fight as hard as we can on every down for the rest of the season starting with UT. Pruitt has given us fits over the times we have faced him, but with much greater talent on hand than what he has now. I pray that our men will bind together and make themselves proud the rest of the season. If JS flounders during the UT game, then Gus needs to bring in either Willis, Gatewood, or Cord to see how they can handle the offense.

I think I prefer Gatewood and have said this multiple times. Sometimes the coaching staff can be off on whether a QB is ready to play or not and I really think Gatewood is a huge diamond in the rough that is ready to come out of the rough and shine like only a polished diamond can shine. I am not against Willis or Cord, but feel that Gatewood is worth the coaching staff taking a chance on to see what he can do over 3-5 series. If setting JS down could help him to see the field better for multiple plays then it could help him possibly.

There is a lot o football left to play one way or the other.

My guess is we go 5-7 Leath is packing. As he leaves Gus will know he is doomed. He probably wants to coach somewhere again so I think he negotiates the buy out so as to make it mutual and hope it won’t be a major impact on his career.

My biggest complaints are that it doesn’t matter how we finish the previous year we always start at zero the following year and he is such a control freak that why does he even hire coordinators, how does that make them feel leaving a job to come there and not play their game. The poster who was saying about having a leader, I agree 100% isn’t that what coordinators are hired for. I am not a Gus fan and never have been. I am not a big fan of who’s got the ball behind the smoking mirrors. When you play like that to me that’s not a good coach that’s a magician and eventually everyone figures out the magic trick. That’s just my opinion. And to the poster who said about players not being sec ready, how do other teams do it. Maybe Gus needs to call them for recruiting tips. Sorry in advance if I offend anyone. I WILL ALWAYS STAND BEHIND THE PLAYERS , AUBURN UNIVERSITY, WEAR IT PROUDLY AND YELL WAR EAGLE LOUDLY

18 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

My guess is we go 5-7 Leath is packing. As he leaves Gus will know he is doomed. He probably wants to coach somewhere again so I think he negotiates the buy out so as to make it mutual and hope it won’t be a major impact on his career.

Leath is the school President. He isn’t gone over a disappointing football season. 

19 hours ago, doc4aday said:

The big money supporters would pony up whatever is needed to buy Gus out if it came to that. If we go 6-6 this season and something along the line of 5-7 for 2019 Gus would be gone. Believe me, I want Gus to get things turned around and make all of this a moot point. Who knows, this team could get hot and put together a string of wins like last year. The odds of this happening are nowhere as good as they were in 2017. I hope and pray that we start come Saturday, to make a statement and get the offense working and the defense back to where they were earlier on this season.

The loss to MSU reminds me a lot of last year's loss to UCF in the bowl game in some ways. We had our chances against MSU and were robbed a TD by Boobee. If that play had been reviewed properly, the score would have been 16-13. We missed a TD when the receiver dropped a throw that would have given us 7 points instead of 3. If JS had led his receiver properly who was 15 yards wide open, we have another 7 points. We would be looking at a very real chance of a win.

Unfortunately no matter how many times you could say IF ONLY THIS about a game like MSU, it still goes into the history books as a loss. That may be the only thing people eventually remember about it.

NEVER SAY NEVER. Even though Jay Jacobs is the cause of this mess, there's always away to find the find. Gus WILL NOT be Auburn's head coach those that his contract has. we won't have to pay the 49 million. Another year or two like he's coaching now, and he'll be history in more  years. Good chance it will be less.

2 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Great discussion on this subject. I hope that JS can have a break out game against UT and gain some confidence to carry into the last 6 games of the season.  I think we finish the 2nd part of the season 3-3 or maybe 4-2. If we finish better than 4-2, then Gus & company will have righted the ship as well as it could be righted.

If things go badly, a 2-4 finish could happen. I think the UT game is going to give us some idea of if we have licked our wounds and are prepared to fight as hard as we can on every down for the rest of the season starting with UT. Pruitt has given us fits over the times we have faced him, but with much greater talent on hand than what he has now. I pray that our men will bind together and make themselves proud the rest of the season. If JS flounders during the UT game, then Gus needs to bring in either Willis, Gatewood, or Cord to see how they can handle the offense.

I think I prefer Gatewood and have said this multiple times. Sometimes the coaching staff can be off on whether a QB is ready to play or not and I really think Gatewood is a huge diamond in the rough that is ready to come out of the rough and shine like only a polished diamond can shine. I am not against Willis or Cord, but feel that Gatewood is worth the coaching staff taking a chance on to see what he can do over 3-5 series. If setting JS down could help him to see the field better for multiple plays then it could help him possibly.

There is a lot o football left to play one way or the other.

Only problem I see with gatewood is he didn’t even start on his high school team.   If he can’t win the job outright in high school, that kinda says a lot about his skill set

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

Only problem I see with gatewood is he didn’t even start on his high school team.   If he can’t win the job outright in high school, that kinda says a lot about his skill set

Certainly casts some doubt and in addition, his playing time at QB was pretty modest.....so pretty hard to think he could step up to the SEC unless we plan to run the MSU offense with the QB running the ball 30 times a game..   JMO but JS is still our best hope ….though it would be nice to see Willis for a full series or two where he does not think he has to score the first time he touches the ball. 

I know there is a lot of uncertainty about Gatewood, but it would be nice to see him come in for a series or 2 if we are  comfortable ahead or if all else goes south and we need a change at the QB. I remember that Marshall was a DB before becoming a solid QB that as a true 100% DT, QB.

Sometimes things like this work out well. Here are some stats for senior 17-18 age

Games Played: 15

1425 yards passing:

TD passes: 12

Attempts:168

Completions: 115

Int: 1

Games Played: 15

Rushing: 1108 yards

Total Carries:166

Avg: 6.7 yards

yards per game: 74

longest run: 64

100 plus: 4

TD: 16

These are good numbers no doubt. He has the looks and stats of a Dual Threat QB. This was at IMG against very good competition. Just thought I would give this information for all to see.

•  

Archived