Article on Gus’ buyout

jmcrosson

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still say the money guys will pony up after next year if the dumpster fire continues. Low enthusiasm, low attendance and ticket sales and a general dissatisfaction with the program will cause them to act. If this year finishes the way we think it will and next year goes as bad as it appears it could....that buyout may seem a lot smaller to the PTB...

7 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I still say the money guys will pony up after next year if the dumpster fire continues. Low enthusiasm, low attendance and ticket sales and a general dissatisfaction with the program will cause them to act. If this year finishes the way we think it will and next year goes as bad as it appears it could....that buyout may seem a lot smaller to the PTB...

I think I'm leaning that way too. This feels an awfully lot like 1998, 2008 and 2012. All led to coaching changes, but the huge buyout obviously complicates things now.
Alabama could literally beat us 50 to 0 if something doesn't change(which seems less and less likely). AU has to really bottom out before a change finally happens. Sure feels like it's headed in that direction unfortunately.

Gus will be here unless he loses the team and you see 2012 endings against TaMU , uga and Bammer.  His teams play hard they just dont execute.  As long as the kids are playing hard the coach has hope.

3 minutes ago, wcvet said:

Gus will be here unless he loses the team and you see 2012 endings against TaMU , uga and Bammer.  His teams play hard they just dont execute.  As long as the kids are playing hard the coach has hope.

In a way, 2018 is worse than 2012 for this very reason. It feels better when you can easily make a change fast.

4 minutes ago, wcvet said:

I'm gonna have to rule Poe's law on this one.

30 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

I'm gonna have to rule Poe's law on this one.

I had to Google that one...

Well played sir.

2 hours ago, wcvet said:

From what I saw from the defense last night, we are not too far off from the team giving up on Gus. It is over. 

I am a Gus supporter. Always have been. But as bad as it would have looked I would not have gave him this contract. I didn’t want to let him go to Arkansas but I would have. 

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

I am a Gus supporter. Always have been. But as bad as it would have looked I would not have gave him this contract. I didn’t want to let him go to Arkansas but I would have. 

Like you, I am a Gus supporter, but after last night, things do not look very promising. It hurts to come to this conclusion, but it is what it is. I have no idea how the rest of the season will play out. Up until last night , I thought we would turn the corner and come away with a good win.  If this season plays out to a 6-6 season of which depends on a win over UT or TAMU to happen. A 5-7 season could see that powers that be making a very expensive but necessary move.

Nothing would make me happier than for us to finish 8-4 at this junction of the season. I feel for the team and know they want to win, but just cannot find a way to do so under the coaching staff. If our defense implodes and our offense dies on the operating table, a change albeit a very expensive could be in the tea leaves.  I would go after Justin Fuentes, Matt Campbell, PJ Fleck, and maybe Norvell at Memphis,  James Franklin and others that I cannot think of at the moment. 

14 hours ago, jmcrosson said:

"All I can do is put on a brave face, go out there and be their leader."

The offense this season has been nothing short of a disaster and after each game all you hear coaches and players say we have to play better...but they don't. Second verse, same as the first.

19 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

The offense this season has been nothing short of a disaster and after each game all you hear coaches and players say we have to play better...but they don't. Second verse, same as the first.

Henry the eighth I am.

It's almost like there was some sort of conspiracy instigated by uga and bama last year to lay down so that we would shell out a ridiculous amount of money for a coach that appeared better than he was 2 weeks straight.  Things worked out perfectly for them, and crappy for us.  That decision for that kind of buy-out is setting us back years....we got trolled.  We'll have to wait for the next time Gus' back is against the wall to see some meaningful wins again.

The numbers don’t lie, but the rest of the article I question.  

I think when we see a team prepared to play well, that executed and a coach that evolves and recruits well, we are a happy fan base.  I believed that’s what I was seeing against Washington with a play or two involving a TE, Stidham’s audibles, and an overall look of a non-Gus start to the season.  

Now we see the same same garbage again.  One good game followed by absolute crap.  2013 and last year were absolutely the outliers.  

Every year we start sluggish, find something that works to the point we are contending for the west or more then deal with injuries and look forward to next year. That is getting old but there are usually only 6-8 teams in better position when it’s said and done. The “ haters” refuse to acknowledge this. They set their cravings on some hotshot young coach who falters before accomplishing anything near what Gus already has. This year is different in that instead of finding something that works and improving we are regressing. Any kind of championship hopes are gone now but we can still have a good season with some work and luck. 

Gus is our coach for 3-4 years no matter what....

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Any kind of championship hopes are gone now but we can still have a good season with some work and luck. 

source.gif

tenor.gif

Every year we start sluggish, find something that works to the point we are contending for the west or more then deal with injuries and look forward to next year. That is getting old but there are usually only 6-8 teams in better position when it’s said and done. The “ haters” refuse to acknowledge this. They set their cravings on some hotshot young coach who falters before accomplishing anything near what Gus already has. This year is different in that instead of finding something that works and improving we are regressing. Any kind of championship hopes are gone now but we can still have a good season with some work and luck. 

Disagree if we lose 6 games this year and do not much better in 2019 then the big cats will pony up the $ and chase him off.

13 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Like you, I am a Gus supporter, but after last night, things do not look very promising. It hurts to come to this conclusion, but it is what it is. I have no idea how the rest of the season will play out. Up until last night , I thought we would turn the corner and come away with a good win.  If this season plays out to a 6-6 season of which depends on a win over UT or TAMU to happen. A 5-7 season could see that powers that be making a very expensive but necessary move.

Nothing would make me happier than for us to finish 8-4 at this junction of the season. I feel for the team and know they want to win, but just cannot find a way to do so under the coaching staff. If our defense implodes and our offense dies on the operating table, a change albeit a very expensive could be in the tea leaves.  I would go after Justin Fuentes, Matt Campbell, PJ Fleck, and maybe Norvell at Memphis,  James Franklin and others that I cannot think of at the moment. 

None of the coaches you mentioned would be an upgrade. 

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

None of the coaches you mentioned would be an upgrade. 

Franklin most certainly would be an upgrade.

We keep doing the same thing over and over. I have said it for years now. We give a guy a stupid awesome contract after a good year. Then they are not hungry anymore. They are paid. And again they know we cannot afford a top of the line coach while paying off the last coach. They take it easy. They are no longer hungry for the payday, its coming if they perform or not and there is nothing we can do about it. The BIG CATS want to think the coach is a bought and payed  "Auburn Man" No they are just payed.

2 hours ago, alexava said:

NOBODY will come to Auburn if we keep firing coaches like we have been. Look at UT. They had to get lucky for the last 2 guys to come.

It is in our best interest to let Gus flame out in 3-4 years and start over from scratch. Unfortunately it will hurt as a fan base but it's what JJ left us with. Time to be a basketball and baseball school for a few years.

Archived