Article on Gus’ buyout

jmcrosson

4 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

NOBODY will come to Auburn if we keep firing coaches like we have been. Look at UT. They had to get lucky for the last 2 guys to come.

It is in our best interest to let Gus flame out in 3-4 years and start over from scratch. Unfortunately it will hurt as a fan base but it's what JJ left us with. Time to be a basketball and baseball school for a few years.

I disagree. We've had 3 coaches in 19 years. We have been more than patient with Gus. I think we would be attractive for most coaches, "Be slightly above average and we will give you $50 million." 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

NOBODY will come to Auburn if we keep firing coaches like we have been. Look at UT. They had to get lucky for the last 2 guys to come.

It is in our best interest to let Gus flame out in 3-4 years and start over from scratch. Unfortunately it will hurt as a fan base but it's what JJ left us with. Time to be a basketball and baseball school for a few years.

That is NOT acceptable. 

59 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

tenor.gif

This is awesome, don't get me wrong, but a stink-face gif from Rikishi of the WWE would be the most appropriate here. I am not a gif guy though.

5 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

This is awesome, don't get me wrong, but a stink-face gif from Rikishi of the WWE would be the most appropriate here. I am not a gif guy though.

I might get banned for one of those LOL!!

Just now, AUsince72 said:

I might get banned for one of those LOL!!

Let's get E to post one. That is his specialty.

We seem to play to the level of the talent of the team we are going up against.  I blame that squarely on the coaches for doing their job.  This seems to have been ongoing for about as long as I can remember... 

44 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I disagree. We've had 3 coaches in 19 years. We have been more than patient with Gus. I think we would be attractive for most coaches, "Be slightly above average and we will give you $50 million." 

The last 3 coaches would have all been run off by an impatient fan base at the first sign of trouble. Nobody wants to coach in that environment.

3 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

The last 3 coaches would have all been run off by an impatient fan base at the first sign of trouble. Nobody wants to coach in that environment.

I'd sign up to get run out of town if they pay me 32.1 million.... 

We had a long list of big time coaches apply when we hired Gus....Sarcasm Whomever replaces Gus, now or twenty years from now, will be a gamble. Just look across the state at what the turds went thru. If Drew Brees would have passed his physical, they may not have been able to hire the gnome. Mike Price, Dennis F. and Mike Shula were their hires. 

28 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

We had a long list of big time coaches apply when we hired Gus....Sarcasm Whomever replaces Gus, now or twenty years from now, will be a gamble. Just look across the state at what the turds went thru. If Drew Brees would have passed his physical, they may not have been able to hire the gnome. Mike Price, Dennis F. and Mike Shula were their hires. 

We are still gambling at this very moment. The difference is it is a high price gamble.

8 hours ago, AUDevil said:

It's almost like there was some sort of conspiracy instigated by uga and bama last year to lay down so that we would shell out a ridiculous amount of money for a coach that appeared better than he was 2 weeks straight.  Things worked out perfectly for them, and crappy for us.  That decision for that kind of buy-out is setting us back years....we got trolled.  We'll have to wait for the next time Gus' back is against the wall to see some meaningful wins again.

What I would have given for Tubs to have done this and just let Shula win one Iron Bowl to save his job. Would've been soooo worth it 

5 hours ago, alexava said:

None of the coaches you mentioned would be an upgrade. 

I think James Franklin would be a definite upgrade. Fuentes would be an upgrade as well. I love Matt Campbell's intensity and his approach. FLeck walked into a tough situation at Minnesota and is slowly turning the program around. He did wonders at his previous gigs. Norvell at Memphis is doing a solid job and has shown he can win at a school that rarely finishes about .500.

Mark Richt would be a nice choice as would be Lane kiffin, Jeff Brahms,  Dave Aranda (DC for LSU & very high energy coach). I would like to hear other options that could be a good fit & David Shaw at Stanford.

6 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

There are a handful of schools that a coach could go to that have a combination of: 

1. Money

2. Talent

3. Legit path to playoffs

We are one of those schools. Not many coaches would turn down what we offer. Also, coaches don't respect Malzahn, and would not look at his tenure at Auburn and say that we have been impatient. 

8 hours ago, norcuron said:

That is NOT acceptable. 

Amen & Amen!

If we go 6-6 this season and 6-6 in 2019, you can bet the bank that we will have a new coach in 2020. It could happen mid season of 2019 if we are sitting around 2-4, it could happen mid season with Steele filling in as interim coach. I would think if this happened, we would see what Chip could really do if left to his own coaching skills.

I want nothing more than to see us go 9-3 for this season, but realize that this would be a huge stretch no doubt. If we wind up going 8-4 this season, I can give Gus another year. Like I have said, if he implodes we could see some ugly football the rest of this season and into 2019. 

7 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

So you have 40 million lying around?

So if the buyout is 32 million that's about $400 each for 80,000 fans. Not realistic but it might surprise you what diehard season ticket holders and big boosters could do if this season continues to slide. 

While we are on Gus I would like to say something. One of the most persisted lies I have heard is about how Gus oversaw the best turnaround in college football. While technically AU’s turn around from 2012 to 2013 might seem miraculous, it really wasn’t . The 2010 team won a NC then in 2011 Chiz decided to castigate the team by slowing the offense down. 2012 Gus left and Chiz tried to convert a team full of spread guys into a pro set offense. That didn’t work well, then on top of it Chiz decide to treat his players with the same disrespect he does his children by not trusting them and turning them all against him. Just getting rid of Chiz and bringing in any type of speed coach would have resulted in that already talented team doing well. Bring Marshall in to run it paid dividends also. NM was a guy that put the team in his back. I just get tired of hearing how good Gus was in 2013 . Also the wins last year against Uat and uga had a lot more to do with KJ and Steele’s defense. Notice in the SECCG after KJ went down , game was over. JMHO 

PS wish the President of AU and the board had spent a little more time looking at the realities and maybe the pigs would be putting up with Gus.

On 10/7/2018 at 8:49 PM, doc4aday said:

Like you, I am a Gus supporter, but after last night, things do not look very promising. It hurts to come to this conclusion, but it is what it is. I have no idea how the rest of the season will play out. Up until last night , I thought we would turn the corner and come away with a good win.  If this season plays out to a 6-6 season of which depends on a win over UT or TAMU to happen. A 5-7 season could see that powers that be making a very expensive but necessary move.

Nothing would make me happier than for us to finish 8-4 at this junction of the season. I feel for the team and know they want to win, but just cannot find a way to do so under the coaching staff. If our defense implodes and our offense dies on the operating table, a change albeit a very expensive could be in the tea leaves.  I would go after Justin Fuentes, Matt Campbell, PJ Fleck, and maybe Norvell at Memphis,  James Franklin and others that I cannot think of at the moment. 

What Matt Campbell is doing at Iowa St is amazing. 

so bottom line. what would have to happen for Gus to be gone. I honestly feel that if we end up with a 5 and 7 season with a win over Liberty and no bowl game that would be it. I find it hard to believe that a paying a buy out would be more costly than having the program self destruct in slow motion. 

On 10/7/2018 at 3:46 PM, OnthePlains said:

I still say the money guys will pony up after next year if the dumpster fire continues. Low enthusiasm, low attendance and ticket sales and a general dissatisfaction with the program will cause them to act. If this year finishes the way we think it will and next year goes as bad as it appears it could....that buyout may seem a lot smaller to the PTB...

I have really thought about this.  When the Auburn Rotary Club, Mayor of Auburn and Opelika, State Senator all get involved because fewer fans are showing up and spending money thus negatively effecting the local economy(yes this happened with Chiziks last year) then I dont  see how hands wont be forced.

3 hours ago, shabby said:

so bottom line. what would have to happen for Gus to be gone. I honestly feel that if we end up with a 5 and 7 season with a win over Liberty and no bowl game that would be it. I find it hard to believe that a paying a buy out would be more costly than having the program self destruct in slow motion. 

We could literally lose every remaining game including Liberty and he will be back next year.

On 10/8/2018 at 8:13 PM, doc4aday said:

It could happen mid season of 2019 if we are sitting around 2-4, it could happen mid season with Steele filling in as interim coach. I would think if this happened, we would see what Chip could really do if left to his own coaching skills.

Wouldn't mind that scenario right now.

Unfortunately, to the OP, any further article on Gus' buyout that doesn't say "it happened last night" is just pointless.

He's "ours" for the next 2 years min...  

On 10/8/2018 at 10:51 AM, AuburnEagle79 said:

The reality is there is truth in this statement.  Who here is aware that Muschamp and Fisher co-own a beach-house together in the Panhandle?  Many coaches Pro and college have homes in Florida (particularly Destin, where for DC of the Stealers Woody Widenhofer resides) or Lake Lanier, Ga. These locations are where many coaches keep second homes the move too in between jobs due to the instability of their profession. 

Many coaches thought we did Tubs wrong.  No coaches felt  Chizik was wronged at all.  Guys like Richt still  do not understand why Chiz has a Natty and he doesn't. 

Point being coaches know that they may  only be somewhere for 3-5 years as assistants 5-8 as a HC before either being fired or taking a new gig.

Archived