Is Chip actually running HIS O?

GwillMac6

Simple yes or no question. After looking back at his passing numbers and a lot of highlight videos from Arizona State and especially Southern Miss the answer is a emphatic NOOOOOO. Now is Gus actually calling the plays? No. I believe Chip is doing that but this is still clearly Malzahns offense and his show.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No he is not. It might be aligned as his offense but I posted a stat which showed tendencies and the tendencies since he has been here has completely been different from what he normally does in the case of pass-run ratio.

No.  He's running the 10 year old Little Mustangs' offense from down the road from me.

This is not a gus defense statement, so please don’t attack😳, but everyone keeps saying chips offense worked before, why not now. Well wouldnt that same statement hold true for Gus? 

Aside from the runs up the middle when we can’t block.. the play calls have been ok.. not great ..ok.. problem we have is execution and poor line  play.. and something has caused our QB not to be able to hit the broad side of a barn.. much less receivers running open all over the field.. that is the problem not the play calling.  Now the question is.. what happened to our QB? Is it confidence , confusion, or blindness.. maybe it is all three.. but until they figure him out or sit him on the bench ( highly unlikely) we will continue to see the same offense.. chip Gus whoever is calling plays but when you can’t execute... we have all seen the over throws and wide open guys.... 

I was able to get some still shots of practice and here it is...now, I think its obvious in this first photo that is Gus’s hand on the left all up in the gameplanning...

9154D9DD-A71F-4AD7-B941-6C8FE1B432AA.jpeg

I think he is. I also believe that Monken was calling the plays when he was at Southern Miss and it appears his offense struggled to put points up against the better teams in the Pac 10.

As I said elsewhere, Gus needs to retool his entire offensive staff.

Now in this second shot there is no doubt that is Chip working on our passing game... I did hear he was a Steelers fan...and looks like he has a nice tan working...

CCC1A144-8C53-4117-883B-0F47759CEDF6.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I think he is. I also believe that Monken was calling the plays when he was at Southern Miss and it appears his offense struggled to put points up against the better teams in the Pac 10.

Well to be fair they were on their 4th string QB when he was at arizona state. 

3 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I was able to get some still shots of practice and here it is...now, I think its obvious in this first photo that is Gus’s hand on the left all up in the gameplanning...

9154D9DD-A71F-4AD7-B941-6C8FE1B432AA.jpeg

This is so accurate. We really are the cleveland browns of the SEC these days! haha. At least they have Baker now though........... There is hope for them. Can't say that about AU! 

4 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Chip was def calling the plays. Monken does not even call the plays with the Bucs now.

What we are seeing has no resemblance to what Chip has done in the past.  There are a few new wrinkles here and there but this is definitely Gus's same old worn out offense.  Chip is calling plays from a play list put together by Gus.  Gus does not carry a play list like he did last year but his shadow on the sidelines has one. 

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Chip was def calling the plays. Monken does not even call the plays with the Bucs now.

Do you have something that actually backs that he didn't call plays at So. Miss?

No trouble admitting I'm wrong if you do, mine is just my belief. This entire thread is speculation anyway.

It's the same crap with a different name to blame. End of the season excuse will be CL, and majority fans will believe it and have hopes for a fresh new OC hire coming in as CL is let go. New hire will bring the illusion of something different and again few seasons later will end in being another scapegoat. Until Gus is gone, this is what will take place unless Nick Marshall type baller is at QB to turn the crap plays being called into a positive.

4 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Do you have something that actually backs that he didn't call plays at So. Miss?

No trouble admitting I'm wrong if you do, mine is just my belief. This entire thread is speculation anyway.

That success wasn’t instant. Southern Miss went 3-9 in Lindsey’s first season in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, in 2014. The offense ranked 100th nationally averaging 365 yards per game and 117th averaging 19 points per game.

That was with Monken calling the plays. In Year 2, he turned play-calling duties and full reign of the offense over to his young offensive coordinator. The jump in production was enormous.

Southern Miss had one of the most explosive offenses in the country in 2015, ranking 12th nationally in yards (509.5) and 13th in points (39.9) per game. The team’s nine wins — including six straight to end the regular season — came by an average of more than 30 points.

“We had a lot of fun together,” Lindsey said.

Mullens, who completed 59.7 percent of his passes for 2,470 yards and 12 touchdowns the year before, hit 63.5 percent of his passes for 4,476 yards and 38 scores. His top receiver, Mike Thomas, caught 71 passes for 1,391 yards and 14 touchdowns. Ito Smith rushed 171 times for 1,128 yards and 10 touchdowns, and Jalen Richard added 1,098 yards and 14 scores on 185 carries.

All four players are on NFL rosters.

“Coach Monken believed in (Lindsey) and gave him a chance, and I think ultimately, he proved that his offense produces results," said Mullens, who was promoted to the San Francisco 49ers' active roster on Wednesday.

"We were a very talented group with a great coaching staff, so when those two things come together, that was a great year. We had it rolling, we were scoring a lot of points, playing well on defense, had great receivers, great offensive linemen. Obviously, we came up short in the conference championship, but I would have taken us against anybody."

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That success wasn’t instant. Southern Miss went 3-9 in Lindsey’s first season in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, in 2014. The offense ranked 100th nationally averaging 365 yards per game and 117th averaging 19 points per game.

That was with Monken calling the plays. In Year 2, he turned play-calling duties and full reign of the offense over to his young offensive coordinator. The jump in production was enormous.

Southern Miss had one of the most explosive offenses in the country in 2015, ranking 12th nationally in yards (509.5) and 13th in points (39.9) per game. The team’s nine wins — including six straight to end the regular season — came by an average of more than 30 points.

“We had a lot of fun together,” Lindsey said.

Mullens, who completed 59.7 percent of his passes for 2,470 yards and 12 touchdowns the year before, hit 63.5 percent of his passes for 4,476 yards and 38 scores. His top receiver, Mike Thomas, caught 71 passes for 1,391 yards and 14 touchdowns. Ito Smith rushed 171 times for 1,128 yards and 10 touchdowns, and Jalen Richard added 1,098 yards and 14 scores on 185 carries.

All four players are on NFL rosters.

“Coach Monken believed in (Lindsey) and gave him a chance, and I think ultimately, he proved that his offense produces results," said Mullens, who was promoted to the San Francisco 49ers' active roster on Wednesday.

"We were a very talented group with a great coaching staff, so when those two things come together, that was a great year. We had it rolling, we were scoring a lot of points, playing well on defense, had great receivers, great offensive linemen. Obviously, we came up short in the conference championship, but I would have taken us against anybody."

This from an article?

1 minute ago, Texan4Auburn said:

This from an article?

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburn/2018/09/27/auburn-football-chip-lindsey-southern-miss-offensive-coordinator-todd-monken-nick-mullens/1437943002/ lol yes. You think I wrote all that up by myself on the fly and had it for you in 5 minutes? I am not even smart. Let alone THAT smart! haha.

Archived