Is Chip actually running HIS O?

GwillMac6

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Looks like Gus’s O with Chip calling the plays and maybe a few Chip-isms sprinkled in ala the slants and slip screens to the slot reciever

Looks nothing like the Malzahn offense of 2009, 2010. 2011. 2013, 2014 or really any other year. And I'd be curious to know why so many on this board think that the zone read/option *is* the Malzahn offense? Chris Brown of SmartFootball.com was exceptionally skeptical that Malzahn would be a run first/play action type coach. Why? Because in HS Malzahn had a rep for slinging the ball all over the field.

The "Malzahn offense" is whatever offense is being run...with tempo.  

http://smartfootball.com/tag/gus-malzahn

http://smartfootball.com/tag/malzahn

10 hours ago, weagl1 said:

I think this is definately Chip’s offense with some Gus stuff mixed in.   Don’t doubt Chip is calling the plays.  

I think he is calling the plays but i don't think it's "his" offense. I think there's a lot of Gus plays with Chip's plays mixed in. When Chip was at Southern Miss they used more 4 WR sets and intermediate passing. His offense didn't have long developing passing plays. The ball came out quickly. He tailored the offense to the team's strengths. We're simply not doing that. I don't see any difference in our offense than when Gus was in control. I only see small differences with Chip calling the plays. It's a disservice to our offense when Gus doesn't have someone who will challenge him and his offense. That's the problem. Many may not have like Craig and he might not be a good coach but he was the only one that had the balls to question Gus. 

9 hours ago, around4ever said:

What we are seeing has no resemblance to what Chip has done in the past.  There are a few new wrinkles here and there but this is definitely Gus's same old worn out offense.  Chip is calling plays from a play list put together by Gus.  Gus does not carry a play list like he did last year but his shadow on the sidelines has one. 

Correct. I found on Youtube some games Chip called while at Southern Miss where many passing records were set during his time there. Our offense doesn't look anything like those offenses. He's calling the plays but it's not "his offense"

24/7 Sports reporting ole Chip says we should have scored 30 points against Miss St. 

Agreed - should have.

The chipster is apparently also going w/ the supportive coach speak angle for frosh Calvin Ashley rather than what we actually saw. I'm good with that.

14 hours ago, AuMarine said:

Aside from the runs up the middle when we can’t block.. the play calls have been ok.. not great ..ok.. problem we have is execution and poor line  play.. and something has caused our QB not to be able to hit the broad side of a barn.. much less receivers running open all over the field.. that is the problem not the play calling.  Now the question is.. what happened to our QB? Is it confidence , confusion, or blindness.. maybe it is all three.. but until they figure him out or sit him on the bench ( highly unlikely) we will continue to see the same offense.. chip Gus whoever is calling plays but when you can’t execute... we have all seen the over throws and wide open guys.... 

ex squid here...................waves

For those of us who watch the games on tv, if you will notice the camera focuses on Gus before a lot of our offensive plays are called. You can very clearly see him with his hand  covering his mouthpiece on his headphone just screaming into the mic. I'm pretty sure he is telling CL which play to run and not talking about which Waffle House they are going to eat at after the game. It's very obvious.

10 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

For those of us who watch the games on tv, if you will notice the camera focuses on Gus before a lot of our offensive plays are called. You can very clearly see him with his hand  covering his mouthpiece on his headphone just screaming into the mic. I'm pretty sure he is telling CL which play to run and not talking about which Waffle House they are going to eat at after the game. It's very obvious.

It's obvious he's talking into a mic, other than that you have no idea what he is saying. 

Regardless, Chip’s name is the one responsible for the offense. Either it’s his offense and it’s setting historical lows, or it’s Gus’ offense and Chip isn’t good enough to supersede the idiocy.

No matter how you look at it he’s got to go as the sacrificial lamb. It speaks a lot to the lack of care Gus has that someone’s head hasn’t rolled across the floor yet. 

Get Hugh Freeze on board yesterday. Give him a contract just for this year as a “prove it” deal with heavy incentives for certain benchmarks.

3 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

It's obvious he's talking into a mic, other than that you have no idea what he is saying. 

I think I need to talk to you about some swamp land I have for sale in the Arizona desert.

14 hours ago, around4ever said:

What we are seeing has no resemblance to what Chip has done in the past.  There are a few new wrinkles here and there but this is definitely Gus's same old worn out offense.  Chip is calling plays from a play list put together by Gus.  Gus does not carry a play list like he did last year but his shadow on the sidelines has one. 

Plain as day to me that this is what's happening. 

One thing that we don't talk about much is what's happening in practice? Because no matter what offense we're running, this team is ill prepared to execute it. Are we practicing Chip's O and then doing something different in the games, a la Clemson 2016? Are there conflicts or confusion over how practices are conducted and by whom? There's just top to bottom confusion and it's obviously bled over to the players. 

Hard for me to imagine that Chip- or just about any remotely decent OC- wouldn't be fielding a MUCH better product than this if left to his own devices. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

One thing that we don't talk about much is what's happening in practice? Because no matter what offense we're running, this team is ill prepared to execute it. Are we practicing Chip's O and then doing something different in the games, a la Clemson 2016? Are there conflicts or confusion over how practices are conducted and by whom? There's just top to bottom confusion and it's obviously bled over to the players. 

Hard for me to imagine that Chip- or just about any remotely decent OC- wouldn't be fielding a MUCH better product than this if left to his own devices. 

If either of those things happened to be true, that would be both baffling and terrifying.  While I am no longer willing to rule anything out, I have spent the past few years trying to maintain the belief that Gus is not a complete idiot.  Only a complete idiot would allow either of those things to transpire.

53 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I think I need to talk to you about some swamp land I have for sale in the Arizona desert.

So you DO know what Gus was saying?

30 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

no matter what offense we're running, this team is ill prepared to execute it.

This is what rings most disturbing to me. Remember when Gus was still heralded as an offensive guru back in 2013? Remember when we talked about his incessant attention to detail, his perfectionism, and his stated goal of running the number one offense in college football every year? What happened to that guy? What happened to the guy that wasn't satisfied until the offense was doing everything to his standard, to perfection? That's what got him here in the first place. Now, our offense looks ill-prepared and ill-focused. We are missing blocks, dropping balls, overthrowing wide open receives, making penalties. It's the opposite of what Gus built his brand on, and it's very, very concerning. 

57 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Also lends some explanation to the overall deadness, players only meetings, red-shirt transfers, etc. Looks like a team that's lost faith in their coaches, half of them probably feeling betrayed in one way or the other. Pure conjecture here, but it has that look.

As to the OP, is it a mute point? I don't think there's a functioning offense between them. I'm not saying hit or miss...I'm saying these two just don't get it.

CCL is either failing here, resigned to his fate and about to quit, or falling on a sword for the guru. It's his last season with us.

40 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

If either of those things happened to be true, that would be both baffling and terrifying.  While I am no longer willing to rule anything out, I have spent the past few years trying to maintain the belief that Gus is not a complete idiot.  Only a complete idiot would allow either of those things to transpire.

It's exactly what happened against Clemson year before last. At least the first issue. 

As for who's running the practices, I don't think it's a stretch at all to suggest that there's a disconnect somewhere. As @Barnacle mentioned, play calling is one thing but this squad just looks sloppy and unprepared. And Lindsey didn't get hired because of sloppy and unprepared offenses at previous stops. 

I've also held onto the notion that Gus isn't a complete idiot, but a pretty bright guy who has made completely idiotic decisions due to inexperience. This season has shattered any hope I was holding onto. 

Open question to the board: Does anybody even get mad anymore? I don't. I mean, I'm generally angry about the situation. But when I watched the game the other night, it wasn't really anger so much as sad resignation. I actually did that sad, "are you kidding me" laugh a couple times. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's exactly what happened against Clemson year before last. At least the first issue. 

As for who's running the practices, I don't think it's a stretch at all to suggest that there's a disconnect somewhere. As @Barnacle mentioned, play calling is one thing but this squad just looks sloppy and unprepared. And Lindsey didn't get hired because of sloppy and unprepared offenses at previous stops. 

I've also held onto the notion that Gus isn't a complete idiot, but a pretty bright guy who has made completely idiotic decisions due to inexperience. This season has shattered any hope I was holding onto. 

Open question to the board: Does anybody even get mad anymore? I don't. I mean, I'm generally angry about the situation. But when I watched the game the other night, it wasn't really anger so much as sad resignation. I actually did that sad, "are you kidding me" laugh a couple times. 

I quit getting mad about halftime of the Arkansas game and it turned into "WTF?"  During the USM game it turned into sad and embarrassed.  I went to a concert Saturday night so only caught the 1st 3 series of the game at a bar, but I had no problem leaving and not watching that "performance" anymore.  

Also, I'm having serious deja vu of Lashlee's last year here.. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

There was a lot of nervous laughter in our group. I don't want to raise my expectations too high, because I have absolutely no confidence in what we are doing on offense. This is what being an Ole Miss fan feels like. That's not a good thing haha. 

15 hours ago, clwn said:

It's the same crap with a different name to blame. End of the season excuse will be CL, and majority fans will believe it and have hopes for a fresh new OC hire coming in as CL is let go. New hire will bring the illusion of something different and again few seasons later will end in being another scapegoat. Until Gus is gone, this is what will take place unless Nick Marshall type baller is at QB to turn the crap plays being called into a positive.

Do you think he will have to say at another press conference that he is “turning all the play calling over to chip”  that is exactly what he did when he set lashlee up for being the fall guy. 

10 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Also, I'm having serious deja vu of Lashlee's last year here.. 

Oof. You know why that hurts? Lashlee had this thing humming for the middle part of that season, when he was calling all the plays and before Sean, KJ and KP were all hurt. But this offense looks like that one did before Lashlee took over play calling duties and after Sean, KJ and KP were all hurt. 

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

This is what being an Ole Miss fan feels like. That's not a good thing haha. 

Ouch. They even have an excuse. 

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

When your only task is to prepare a football team, and you are paid so well to do it, I guess I take it for granted that obvious things like practicing the game plan and communication would never be a serious problem.  It is not like Gus is being asked to operate the Large Hadron Collider or make the definitive discovery proving dark matter.

As for getting mad anymore, no.  My response to the inexplicable has now become, "of course".

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

What happened to that guy? What happened to the guy that wasn't satisfied until the offense was doing everything to his standard, to perfection? That's what got him here in the first place. Now, our offense looks ill-prepared and ill-focused. We are missing blocks, dropping balls, overthrowing wide open receives, making penalties. It's the opposite of what Gus built his brand on, and it's very, very concerning. 

I see the same thing at my cousin’s 10 y/o peewee football practices. There are five or six coaches coaching the whole team, yet there weren’t any coaching actually going on. Nobody was being taught how to block, run routes, or tackle. They are just taught plays. They run through the playbook against a shoddy scout team (which is lined up but receives zero coaching at all) and all the coaches are focused on QBs, RBs, and WRs running the right plays. The actual coaching gets lost in the scheming. Which is a far cry from what I played in at that age. The team is undefeated because they are bigger and faster than everyone else but still, kinda disappointed in that coaching just like I am with ours. 

Archived