Is Chip actually running HIS O?

GwillMac6

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

Exactly. The players need to accept responsibility for the many errors we're seeing. There were a number of calls that should have worked against MSU that were simply blown by poor play on the field.

I agree with you 99% Mikey. We left a lot of points on the field that could have made it a close nail biter kind of game.  A fumble by Boobee that was a TD and a botched call by the refs. Missing a wide open receiver who was 15 yards ahead of the defense and resulted in a grossly over thrown pass by JS. I missed catch in the left corner of the end zone. Missed FG by Carlson. That was 24 points and could have made the difference in the game.

Yes, there was some poor play calling no doubt, but the overall scheme could have worked with better execution by the offense. The defense was the biggest let down in many ways. We never could figure out how to stop Fitzgerald like Kentucky and FLorida was able to do. A solid defensive play like we had in previous games, was not there.

I will go out on a limb once again and will predict a breakout game for both defense and offense against the vols. We need to turn the corner and do it fast. It starts with better defensive play first and better execution by the offense. We do this, we will win. I think we are a better team against the passing game over the rushing game. If we can get Boobee in a groove starting Saturday, our passing game will start working like it should.

I do hope that if JS struggles from the get go, Gus needs to bite the bullet and bench JS for a few series and see if Willis, Cord, or Mr. Gatewood can get the job done.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I really don’t think anyone knows for sure who’s running what.

I think some folks around here know exactly what's going on.

However, even if that weren't the case, the fact that nobody's confident that Chip has a typical level of autonomy over the offense says a lot about what some of our problems are. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I think some folks around here know exactly what's going on.

However, even if that weren't the case, the fact that nobody's confident that Chip has a typical level of autonomy over the offense says a lot about what some of our problems are. 

Yep...unfortunately, it will be too late once things get out of hand. I am hoping to see a blow out this weekend..I am just super worried at the moment.

Gus just needs to run his stuff and call every play. If it doesn’t work out then it is on him. I think that is when we will be at our best which stills might not be good

4 hours ago, wcware said:

Gus just needs to run his stuff and call every play. If it doesn’t work out then it is on him. I think that is when we will be at our best which stills might not be good

I actually agree. A lot of HC call there own plays. Just let him call the plays and be done with it. If we bring in some elite OC then let them run it but we have never had an elite OC.

50 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

I actually agree. A lot of HC call there own plays. Just let him call the plays and be done with it. If we bring in some elite OC then let them run it but we have never had an elite OC.

Maybe it takes out one variable. If Gus struggles letting someone else run the offense then do it yourself. Take charge again. Save the money from an OC and use it elsewhere. We just need an identity. Any identity. If Chip is running Gus’s offense is it identity theft? Someone with legal knowledge chim in because what is going on is definitely a crime.

3 hours ago, wcware said:

Maybe it takes out one variable. If Gus struggles letting someone else run the offense then do it yourself. Take charge again. Save the money from an OC and use it elsewhere. We just need an identity. Any identity. If Chip is running Gus’s offense is it identity theft? Someone with legal knowledge chim in because what is going on is definitely a crime.

Spend it on an oline coach that can recruit and coach

On 10/7/2018 at 6:27 PM, GwillMac6 said:

That success wasn’t instant. Southern Miss went 3-9 in Lindsey’s first season in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, in 2014. The offense ranked 100th nationally averaging 365 yards per game and 117th averaging 19 points per game.

That was with Monken calling the plays. In Year 2, he turned play-calling duties and full reign of the offense over to his young offensive coordinator. The jump in production was enormous.

Southern Miss had one of the most explosive offenses in the country in 2015, ranking 12th nationally in yards (509.5) and 13th in points (39.9) per game. The team’s nine wins — including six straight to end the regular season — came by an average of more than 30 points.

“We had a lot of fun together,” Lindsey said.

Mullens, who completed 59.7 percent of his passes for 2,470 yards and 12 touchdowns the year before, hit 63.5 percent of his passes for 4,476 yards and 38 scores. His top receiver, Mike Thomas, caught 71 passes for 1,391 yards and 14 touchdowns. Ito Smith rushed 171 times for 1,128 yards and 10 touchdowns, and Jalen Richard added 1,098 yards and 14 scores on 185 carries.

All four players are on NFL rosters.

“Coach Monken believed in (Lindsey) and gave him a chance, and I think ultimately, he proved that his offense produces results," said Mullens, who was promoted to the San Francisco 49ers' active roster on Wednesday.

"We were a very talented group with a great coaching staff, so when those two things come together, that was a great year. We had it rolling, we were scoring a lot of points, playing well on defense, had great receivers, great offensive linemen. Obviously, we came up short in the conference championship, but I would have taken us against anybody."

Monken/Lindsey coached games were a lot of fun to watch. 

Archived