Is Chip actually running HIS O?

GwillMac6

It’s definitely a mix.  I see Gus’s influence on running plays but I also see passing plays that weren’t present pre Chip.  I don’t have a breakdown but I feel like there have been more passing on 1st down than in previous years.  Unfortunately just as predictable as the 1st down run up the middle was so now has the screen to Davis become.  Either go all Gus or all Chip but his mix is killing the identity of the team.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The short answer is no. I believe we are running some of the concepts that we were hoping to get when we hired Chip, and we’re running a lot of the same Gus concepts from before Chip. What I think is the biggest issue is the game plans. I don’t believe Chip is building the game plans. I think Gus is doing that and picking and choosing certainty Chip plays and concepts to sprinkle into his game plan. Then he’s further designating the situations where those Chip plays can be called. So, while Chip is technically calling the game, he’s calling from a play sheet that Gus has built and put parameters and restrictions around. From a flow and predictability standpoint, Chip is severely inhibited in what he can choose. 

Just my humble opinion. 

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburn/2018/09/27/auburn-football-chip-lindsey-southern-miss-offensive-coordinator-todd-monken-nick-mullens/1437943002/ lol yes. You think I wrote all that up by myself on the fly and had it for you in 5 minutes? I am not even smart. Let alone THAT smart! haha.

I did actually!  C'mon man!

Thanks for sharing the article.

I am fascinated by this thread. People can say whatever they want because they really don’t know.

The offense stinks and Chip Lindsey is the coordinator. He is doing a terrible job. But Gus is at fault because he hired him... And it was probably the only person he could get to work for him on offense.

13 minutes ago, boomstick said:

The short answer is no. I believe we are running some of the concepts that we were hoping to get when we hired Chip, and we’re running a lot of the same Gus concepts from before Chip. What I think is the biggest issue is the game plans. I don’t believe Chip is building the game plans. I think Gus is doing that and picking and choosing certainty Chip plays and concepts to sprinkle into his game plan. Then he’s further designating the situations where those Chip plays can be called. So, while Chip is technically calling the game, he’s calling from a play sheet that Gus has built and put parameters and restrictions around. From a flow and predictability standpoint, Chip is severely inhibited in what he can choose. 

Just my humble opinion. 

Somewhat agree....and probably Chip did not have anything unique that could be called "his" offense anyway.    That is probably the case with most OCs who decide which guys are on the field and generally which plays are sent to the QB.     So is Chip doing that?......or trying to do that?   I think so.

Gus is often fussing over his headset with someone but can't imagine he is actually calling plays without benefit of a cheat sheet like most OCs or HCs who call their own offense are constantly consulting. 

10 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I am fascinated by this thread. People can say whatever they want because they really don’t know.

The offense stinks and Chip Lindsey is the coordinator. He is doing a terrible job. But Gus is at fault because he hired him... And it was probably the only person he could get to work for him on offense.

Yep the offense is stinks, but right now I’m more concerned with how bad the defense executed last night.  There seemed to be zero adjustments made to stop Fitz running rough shod all night long, poor tackling, bad angles, just a really bad game plan defensively.

• WarTiger changed the title to Is Chip actually running HIS O?
1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Simple yes or no question. After looking back at his passing numbers and a lot of highlight videos from Arizona State and especially Southern Miss the answer is a emphatic NOOOOOO. Now is Gus actually calling the plays? No. I believe Chip is doing that but this is still clearly Malzahns offense and his show.

doesn't matter, it sucks whoever's it is

I think Chip is running his offense. We just don’t have the players to run it. Piss poor blocking from the line, and from the receivers, a shaky QB, and 3 or 4 young and average running backs. About the only above average players on the offense are the receivers and Chandler Cox. No way Gus took control of the offense. The guy is stubborn, but I don’t believe he’s that stubborn after all that crap with Rhett and how bad the offense ha been for the past few weeks. 

as much as i want to blame someone  execution and ball security was lacking. over thrown balls,   4 fumbles?   its not a scheme thing....  its a Nick Saban EXECUTION thing

1 hour ago, weagl1 said:

I think this is definately Chip’s offense with some Gus stuff mixed in.   Don’t doubt Chip is calling the plays.  

Gus is that you?

This season appears to be the worst of both of them. I hold true to my belief that Chip has been allowed some wiggle room with this offense, but he is still hamstrung into the Malzahn philosophy and playbook as a whole. 

38 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

doesn't matter, it sucks whoever's it is

You left out the part where whoever it is needs fired. I say hold them both accountable and fire both of them just to make sure you get the right one. On second thought fire the entire offensive coaching staff along with Gus.

No this is not Chip’s offense.  It’s Gus offense with part of Chips passing game intertwined.   Chip, Gus, Kodi, and Horton do the game planning... Chip calls the plays 99 percent of the time.  Gus makes suggestions during games for adjustments or maybe we should try play X.  If I’m the head coach that’s the way it would be for my team as well.

but to short answer no it’s not and personally I don’t want a full Chip offense.  Very similar to a Sumlin offense which didn’t work and creates soft players

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

No this is not Chip’s offense.  It’s Gus offense with part of Chips passing game intertwined.   Chip, Gus, Kodi, and Horton do the game planning... Chip calls the plays 99 percent of the time.  Gus makes suggestions during games for adjustments or maybe we should try play X.  If I’m the head coach that’s the way it would be for my team as well.

but to short answer no it’s not and personally I don’t want a full Chip offense.  Very similar to a Sumlin offense which didn’t work and creates soft players

Serious Question I think a lot of us want to know. How drunk were you last night? Cause that got weird very fast! lol.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Serious Question I think a lot of us want to know. How drunk were you last night? Cause that got weird very fast! lol.

Full disclosure here.  Me and the other poster have gone back and forth on coach Grimes and how horrible the OL is.  I’ve admitted they have played poorly but have pointed out their inexperience.  During the LSU game thread the other poster made a comment that he wanted to slap my face.  I told him I would give him the opportunity to just send the location and I would be there.  No response he disappeared from the board for a couple weeks and came back last week but I dropped.  

So last night in the game thread he pokes the bear again with a off the cuff ain’t that right coach jay comment...   so it spilled over from there.  

Its been long history for us probably since Craig was fired...

but to answer your question I do not drink.  I got my ban and here we are today.   And if he mentions me in a negative way again I’ll react the same.  

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Simple yes or no question. After looking back at his passing numbers and a lot of highlight videos from Arizona State and especially Southern Miss the answer is a emphatic NOOOOOO. Now is Gus actually calling the plays? No. I believe Chip is doing that but this is still clearly Malzahns offense and his show.

No.  At least not the one he ran under Monken at USM.

30 minutes ago, corchjay said:

personally I don’t want a full Chip offense.  Very similar to a Sumlin offense which didn’t work and creates soft players

Well crap.  That's the only thing he's actually accomplished so far.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburn/2018/09/27/auburn-football-chip-lindsey-southern-miss-offensive-coordinator-todd-monken-nick-mullens/1437943002/ lol yes. You think I wrote all that up by myself on the fly and had it for you in 5 minutes? I am not even smart. Let alone THAT smart! haha.

Lmao 

Think he is.  Check Stat's...uh...stats.  First down is seeing more passing. The passes just aren't going anywhere.  This is NOT a Malzahn offense. Even 2011's offense was better than this, and that was an offense of a brand new offensive line and Trotter followed by Moseley at QB.

1 hour ago, Tigger1985 said:

Need an offensive line Coach. I guess it's too late this year though.

We have one.  JB Grimes is not a bad coach.  He just isn't a magician or miracle worker.

Archived