Is Chip actually running HIS O?

GwillMac6

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

2 reasons. 

1. Gus was coaching for his job and he knew it. 

2. KJ

Funny thing with games, when the offense can't maintain any semblance of time of possession in a game, and the other team is up, passing is your ONLY option. You can't be running the ball when you are down and over half the 3rd QTR is over before you even get the ball back. 

Possibly so; makes about as much sense as anything else I’ve heard.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

@GwillMac6, Unequivocally no. Anyone who says otherwise isn't paying attention. 

I was one of the ones who blamed Lashlee. 

Then my eyes were opened. 

After Chip was brought in and the offense looked the exact same... After we are still running up to the LOS and quick snapping it followed by a run up the gut... After the Coxcat... It became crystal clear that Gus is still in complete control of the offense. Chip may well be calling the plays, but he is calling from a list of about 8 plays that Gus pre-approves before the game. 

All anyone needs to do is watch his offenses from his time as Southern Miss OC. Then one should watch his offenses from Arizona State. Those offenses resemble each other. 

This offense looks like it could still be Lashlee at OC. 

Gus needs to let his OC hire his own coaches and run their own offense. Until he does, this is what we will have. This is just like Tony Franklin vs the BBQ gang. Franklin wasn't allowed to hire HIS own coaches. Franklin wasn't allowed to run HIS offense. It was a disaster! Chip wasn't allowed to hire HIS coaches, and Chip isn't allowed to run HIS offense. And this offense has had the same results as the Tony Franklin experiment. 

well freaking said and perfect analogy bringing up tony franklin. That is exactly what is happening and we are having a season that mirrors 08 as well.

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

2 reasons. 

2. KJ

Funny thing with games, when the offense can't maintain any semblance of time of possession in a game, and the other team is up, passing is your ONLY option. You can't be running the ball when you are down and over half the 3rd QTR is over before you even get the ball back. 

I am glad someone else said it so I didn’t have to respond. We were playing catch up, so of course , we chose to try to make the big score happen by passing. Especially when Mississippi state was playing keep away.

2 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

2 reasons. 

2. KJ

Auburn was down by 2 scores after that 3rd quarter drive.  There was still plenty of time to run a normal offense and close the gap.  If it was 28-3 I could understand wanting to move the ball through the air.  Even worse is the defense was on the field for 8 minutes and Auburn flew down the field in 4-5 plays to kick a field goal which may have taken 1-2 minutes then the defense is back out.  Auburn marching down the field for a TD or even a field goal would have given the defense a needed rest.

44 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Auburn was down by 2 scores after that 3rd quarter drive.  There was still plenty of time to run a normal offense and close the gap.  If it was 28-3 I could understand wanting to move the ball through the air.  Even worse is the defense was on the field for 8 minutes and Auburn flew down the field in 4-5 plays to kick a field goal which may have taken 1-2 minutes then the defense is back out.  Auburn marching down the field for a TD or even a field goal would have given the defense a needed rest.

You are right. They were down by 2 scores, the offense had just mustered less than 80 yards in the game, Mississippi State had just used up over half the time remaining in the game on 1 drive. You made my point for me. 

I don't disagree that maintaining a drive would help our gassed defense. But the fact is, at the time you mentioned, the offense hadn't done anything. So for anyone who has ever coached at any level before, and even most who haven't, having to pass at that point was a given. It was what had to happen. 

But at this point, what would not be shocking to me, is that if we HAD run the ball, it didn't work, and we had wasted the precious time remaining, people would be complaining that we were running the ball when we should of been throwing. 

At this point in this disastrous season, it's fine to throw stones, there is plenty to go around... just make sure you are throwing them in the right direction. 

Who knows...but the offense looks very similar to the ones from 2015-2016 without a good QB... But now we have a good QB and it still looks the same, common denominator Gus.

5 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

You are right. They were down by 2 scores, the offense had just mustered less than 80 yards in the game, Mississippi State had just used up over half the time remaining in the game on 1 drive. You made my point for me. 

I don't disagree that maintaining a drive would help our gassed defense. But the fact is, at the time you mentioned, the offense hadn't done anything. So for anyone who has ever coached at any level before, and even most who haven't, having to pass at that point was a given. It was what had to happen. 

But at this point, what would not be shocking to me, is that if we HAD run the ball, it didn't work, and we had wasted the precious time remaining, people would be complaining that we were running the ball when we should of been throwing. 

At this point in this disastrous season, it's fine to throw stones, there is plenty to go around... just make sure you are throwing them in the right direction. 

It was 16-3 with 7 minutes left in the 3rd and the entire 4th quarter.  If Boobee’s fumble isn’t ruled a touchback you have a 6pt ballgame going into the 4th quarter.  The defense didn’t allow another score till late into the 4th.  I’m not saying don’t throw the ball but there would still be plenty of time to run your normal offense with a balanced run pass mix.  In fact Auburn did exactly what you mentioned in going to a catch up pass offense and it kept the defense on the field for a lot of the 4th quarter as well.  I’m not sure what you mean about throwing stones.  I’m just giving my opinion that this offense isn’t balanced.

Well if that Marcello article is indeed accurate, I would say no. It's not. If it was his offense we're seeing, and he was the one calling the players, why would he be looking for a way out?

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

It was 16-3 with 7 minutes left in the 3rd and the entire 4th quarter.  If Boobee’s fumble isn’t ruled a touchback you have a 6pt ballgame going into the 4th quarter.  The defense didn’t allow another score till late into the 4th.  I’m not saying don’t throw the ball but there would still be plenty of time to run your normal offense with a balanced run pass mix.  In fact Auburn did exactly what you mentioned in going to a catch up pass offense and it kept the defense on the field for a lot of the 4th quarter as well.  I’m not sure what you mean about throwing stones.  I’m just giving my opinion that this offense isn’t balanced.

The offense isn't good as a whole. That's the problem. Had the offense had anything that resembled a pulse in the 1st half, this would be a moot point. But when the offense cant do anything to sustain a drive, and if things kept going the same way, Auburn would of had 1 maybe 2, but no more than 3 possessions. 3 possessions max remaing and down by 2 scores. We had to pass the ball by that point. 

Crazy I know, but what do you think the odds are that Chip is suggesting to Gus a choice of two plays to run and Gus is approving one of them?  Would explain the delay of games and the slowness getting plays signaled in to Stidham.

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Simple question.  Does this offense and plays look the same or different than when Rhett was OC?

I love rhetorical questions. 

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Simple question.  Does this offense and plays look the same or different than when Rhett was OC?

First quarter of Washington game I thought it looked different....since then....same.

2 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

First quarter of Washington game I thought it looked different....since then....same.

The 4th quarter of the MSU game looked different.  

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That is a simple question.... the answer... not so much...

The up until the LSU game, it looked different. But once Stidham thew his 1st interception of the game, it all went back to the pre-Chip days, with just a little more passing. But overall, since the LSU game, it's looked exactly the same with a few more Gus type passes. 

So yes it looks the same, and no it doesn't.

To my eyes anyway.

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Follow up question: Does it look the same or different than Chip's offenses at previous jobs?

What's really sad is that Stidham ran an offense more similar to Chip's than to Gus's at Baylor. 

3 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

what would you expect to see from the "Chip Offense" that you are not seeing?      As noted above,  Gus is not a 40 passes per game guy.  So if Chip were to be running  "his" offense what different plays would see.?    More passes, fewer passes, different passes....and what is that based on.  At Az State Chip was known for running the wildcat with one of his RBs....so the Kam play looks like Chip perhaps ?   

JMO, generally there was not much wrong with play calls no matter who was making them.  . MSU has a decent defense and yet........how many very successful calls went down the drain because of a fumble or overthrown pass or dropped pass or the QB got happy feet and bailed out before noticing a wide open receiver a few yards ahead of him?   .

4 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

The up until the LSU game, it looked different. But once Stidham thew his 1st interception of the game, it all went back to the pre-Chip days, with just a little more passing. But overall, since the LSU game, it's looked exactly the same with a few more Gus type passes. 

To my eyes anyway.

And to me thats the problem...no identity on offense.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

what would you expect to see from the "Chip Offense" that you are not seeing?      As noted above,  Gus is not a 40 passes per game guy.  So if Chip were to be running  "his" offense what different plays would see.?    More passes, fewer passes, different passes....and what is that based on.  At Az State Chip was known for running the wildcat with one of his RBs....so the Kam play looks like Chip perhaps ?   

JMO, generally there was not much wrong with play calls no matter who was making them.  . MSU has a decent defense and yet........how many very successful calls went down the drain because of a fumble or overthrown pass or dropped pass or the QB got happy feet and bailed out before noticing a wide open receiver a few yards ahead of him?   .

I love you 64.

"Is Chip actually running HIS O?" No, of course not. he's doing what every OC in the nation is doing. He's running the offense his head coach approves.

Now, Chip IS the QB coach, so you might want to ask him why our QB can't hit wide open receivers.

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

To my eyes anyway.

I'm with @OnthePlains and @around4ever , 1st qtr of UW and 4th qtr of MSU was different.  Otherwise, to me, it's been the same looking plays, the same lack of dynamic passing, and the same lack of field utilization.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Image result for flesh wound gif

Archived