What would you do to fix the O?

AUght2win

If you were given the reigns today, how would you fix it?

Emphasis - forget trying to establish the run. If we couldn't do it against Southern Miss, it means we aren't capabale of being a usual smashmouth team. We have one of the most talented receiving corps in the nation. Use them. Throw upwards of 40 passes a game. Dink and dunk so the line doesn't have to give much time. Slants. Digs. Drags. Not just screens. Eventually the pass will open the run as it did against Washington.

Personnel - Boobie and Shivers are the only two backs who should get carries. Kam Martin would be a 3rd and long back, used like James White of the Patriots only as a pass catcher. Hate to say it, but leave Cox on the bench except for obvious run situations. Create packages for Malik Willis and give him 10-15 snaps a game.

QB - stick with Stidham if only because Malik looked so bad in A-day. But he would be on a short leash if he doesn't show some passion. 

What about you guys? 

Well, the first thing I would do is stop handing off and running straight up the middle of the line every time we get a big 1st down.  We rush to the line and hurry up to hand off and run right up the gut... Every Single Time... Does any team NOT know where this play is going to go?  Can we come up with some variations?  Maybe I've just missed the plays where we actually do call something different in that situation, but it seems like we never do.

I'm surely not qualified to be an an OC in any sense, but my "feeling" is that we don't seem to have a lot of plays to call from.  It feel predictable in the games where we look so bad.  So much so that I am a pretty high percentage correct in calling the next play.  In the games where we seem to play well, I'm always seem to be saying to my wife... "they're mixing up the play calling well today."  

What drives that difference?  Is it the play calling?  The execution?  The other team's defensive scheme?  Not being a coach, I really don't know why this happens this way, but it seems pretty consistent from my view.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Let the offensive coordinator coordinate the offense. 

Right after sidelining two key players. I'm either winning or throwing in the sink.

This is a simple question with a simple answer. We have play-makers on the offensive side, we just don't use them to our advantage. Sure, our offensive line has issues, but we don't help our QB. We call plays that only allow for downfield development. With these kinds of plays, you expect your offensive line to block for an extended period of time. If I were in the OC shoes, it's simple:

Call short passing routes to open up the run. Utilize the size of the WRs who have been recruited to go against larger secondaries and let them GET the ball; Slants, quick outside routes, etc. If they run the routes properly, which we seem to do fairly well, hit them and let them get the YACs. Once the defense backs off of the line of scrimmage, use your RBs to get yards.

Look back to the MSU game - we started throwing over the middle of the field at the end of the 4th quarter. This kind of adjustment should be made well before then, yet our HC is too damn stubborn to make that adjustment. He thinks his style of offense is the only way to be successful.  

Deep shots are/can be pivotal to success, too, but shorter routes will give the QB and WRs confidence going forward. We're not a run first team right now and it's a shame that our HC is too prideful to make changes to put the PLAYERS in the best position possible to make plays. 

Put the OL in the weight room.  Think it may just be that simple.

10 minutes ago, Bathel said:

Well, the first thing I would do is stop handing off and running straight up the middle of the line every time we get a big 1st down.  We rush to the line and hurry up to hand off and run right up the gut... Every Single Time... Does any team NOT know where this play is going to go?  Can we come up with some variations?  Maybe I've just missed the plays where we actually do call something different in that situation, but it seems like we never do.

I'm surely not qualified to be an an OC in any sense, but my "feeling" is that we don't seem to have a lot of plays to call from.  It feel predictable in the games where we look so bad.  So much so that I am a pretty high percentage correct in calling the next play.  In the games where we seem to play well, I'm always seem to be saying to my wife... "they're mixing up the play calling well today."  

What drives that difference?  Is it the play calling?  The execution?  The other team's defensive scheme?  Not being a coach, I really don't know why this happens this way, but it seems pretty consistent from my view.

Totally agree. This play shows Gus' stubborness and arrogance in his system.

The first down runs started circa 2013-2014. It was effective in the same way aggressive jabs work for a boxer when their opponent is on the ropes. You land a good shot, the guy wobbles, and you ditch all strategy to pounce on your opponent with a flurry of jabs. It's fast and devoid of strategy, but it works. It takes advantage of an opponent while they are vulnerable. 

The reason it worked back then was because we had a bunch of MAULERS like Greg Robinson on the O-line, and a dangerous read option threat. We could get to the line, get set on a scrambling defense, and run another play before they could recompose themselves. It didn't matter if the Offense knew what was coming, because they were on the ropes and couldn't stop it.

Now we have no O-line, a pocket passer, and undersized runningbacks. It CAN'T work with this team, and it disturbs me that Gus obviously thinks it can.

Put it in Gus’s hands. No more fall guys. No more excuses. Let him make the calls and if he fails, we absolutely know its him. I mean is he going to sit back and let Chip Lindsey ruin him?

1. Bench #8 just to get his attention. Complacency breeds mediocrity. I'd go with Cord Sandberg until #8 decides he has guts and passion.

2. Let Chip go now a la Mike Stoops. Not because it's his fault, but because Gus ain't getting fired and the marriage is a wreck. Give him a head start on finding a job, and let Gus know he has to finish the season as OC, but go get Hugh after the season to eventually replace him as HC.

3. Play the OLinemen with the meanest streak regardless of experience. If you're getting your ass handed to you anyway, there is nothing to lose.

4. Show Kodi a playbook that has more than 4 route variations.

5. Leave Kevin Steele the hell alone.

See what the Patriots are doing on offense and copy it.

7 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Don't think that'll help much in Week 6.

Agree, but maybe by the time Georgia and Alabama roll around?  Maybe...

Well, you're not going to win anything this season now, so you now need to begin to build your team for next season, while planning on giving UGA and UAT your best gameplan at the end of this year. New year's six bowl is still very much in play, and that would be 3 years in a row we would be in a NY6 game which not many other teams around the country can tell their recruits. I think you've got to experiment with the offensive line as much as you can, until you find 5 guys that can do it. You're going to have everyone back, but in order to find some consistency for next season, you've got to find your best 5 in games this season. I'd experiment, I'd try things out, I'd run Boobee a lot to get that guy carries and experience. I'd also get Willis or Sandberg into the game whenever you can. Get them some reps, get them some throws and some RPO reads. 

Defensively, put those young DBs in. Tell them to go make plays. Ok if they make mistakes, but make sure to crawl their butt for them and make sure they learn from it!

I'd start really experimenting with this team if I were Gus. Experience is going to help not only our offensive line, but so many other positions in which we are either young or not very talented. 

Put in Malik Willis..."But he's an unproven passer..." the chorus replies...Well, yea, but I'm not so sure that critique doesn't apply to our current QB1 with respect to his 2018 performance...

Oh also, I would run Cox Cat at least twice a game just because I miss how up in arms it gets the board (myself included) 🤣

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

What about you guys?

I hate to be a pessimist, but we’ve tried pretty much everything. It’s hard to be effective when one drive your QB overthrows, the next drive the receiver drops the pass, then the next drive a lineman fales starts on a short yardage red zone opportunity. It’s been that way all year. Players have to execute. Gus and Chip lack the leadership skills to fix this with schemes or play calling in mid season I’m afraid. 

37 minutes ago, boddagetta09 said:

This is a simple question with a simple answer. We have play-makers on the offensive side, we just don't use them to our advantage. Sure, our offensive line has issues, but we don't help our QB. We call plays that only allow for downfield development. With these kinds of plays, you expect your offensive line to block for an extended period of time. If I were in the OC shoes, it's simple:

Call short passing routes to open up the run. Utilize the size of the WRs who have been recruited to go against larger secondaries and let them GET the ball; Slants, quick outside routes, etc. If they run the routes properly, which we seem to do fairly well, hit them and let them get the YACs. Once the defense backs off of the line of scrimmage, use your RBs to get yards.

Look back to the MSU game - we started throwing over the middle of the field at the end of the 4th quarter. This kind of adjustment should be made well before then, yet our HC is too damn stubborn to make that adjustment. He thinks his style of offense is the only way to be successful.  

Deep shots are/can be pivotal to success, too, but shorter routes will give the QB and WRs confidence going forward. We're not a run first team right now and it's a shame that our HC is too prideful to make changes to put the PLAYERS in the best position possible to make plays. 

Yep. I’ve said it for a few weeks now- our WRs are the strength of our offense. One of the most baffling parts of Gus’ tenure to me is how he gets talented receivers to sign .

23 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Put in Malik Willis..."But he's an unproven passer..." the chorus replies...Well, yea, but I'm not so sure that critique doesn't apply to our current QB1 with respect to his 2018 performance...

Oh also, I would run Cox Cat at least twice a game just because I miss how up in arms it gets the board (myself included) 🤣

Gatewood’s time is near, fam.

29 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Yep. I keep hearing he makes critical mistakes but then I look at our starter...hmmm. I am interested in seeing cord and JG as well. I am just sick of the same happenings occurring and nothing changing. At this point, you need to do whatever you can to won the game.

20 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I hate to be a pessimist, but we’ve tried pretty much everything. It’s hard to be effective when one drive your QB overthrows, the next drive the receiver drops the pass, then the next drive a lineman fales starts on a short yardage red zone opportunity. It’s been that way all year. Players have to execute. Gus and Chip lack the leadership skills to fix this with schemes or play calling in mid season I’m afraid. 

they keep practicing, Gus says they have to execute, but you're right - nothing is changing regarding disciple and results.

This is the worst O I think I have ever seen at Auburn.  It's just plain sad with so many play makers.

Playing Willis makes as much sense as anything else at this point . The offense is continually doing the same stuff . I don’t believe we are playing to our strengths, if we have any . Try it all. On side kick every time . Create excitement. Globe of death on kickoff like tubs used to run . The season means zero , so have fun with it

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Gatewood’s time is near, fam.

Time for some development.   

Problem is Gus is too stubborn to develop anyone.    Malik has what  6 passes?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!!!     Are you telling me our OC or HC could not find enough opportunities with a 10 win season to get our back up more than 6 chances to throw the ball?

Archived