Null

Sign in to follow this  
OnthePlains

Two Words...Final Four

I like to dream big...

So whats the feeling around here on a potential Final Four run? 

First time in my life I feel its possible in the preseason.  ‘99 team had a shot with a number one seed but this feels different l

What say you?

Lotta luck and good fortune involved in getting the final four but this squad is built to do it. Not even trying to be hyperbolic but this squad would wipe the floor with that 99 team

• Like 2

I mean i don't expect a final four run. But i also haven't seen this team play together. Lot of new pieces we have to figure out how to incorporate. We definitely have to find some guys that can handle the ball besides Harper. We have to find out who can fill Murray's shoes which will be no small task. And i'm curious to see how we'll play on the defensive side of things. With all that said....on paper this team looks better then last years team which was no doubt 1 of the top 2 teams i've seen play at AU. Should we be at full strength when the season starts it'll be a heck of a lot of fun to see this team play. We'll know real quick if a final four run is possible based on that Maui tournament.

• Like 1

Hopefully if we can be healthy come tourney time.  I really thought the team last year had a shot at it if we had not lost McLemore. It also depends on when Bryce hits that 2-3 week slump.  Hoping he skips that this year. 

9 hours ago, gravejd said:

I mean i don't expect a final four run. But i also haven't seen this team play together. Lot of new pieces we have to figure out how to incorporate. We definitely have to find some guys that can handle the ball besides Harper. We have to find out who can fill Murray's shoes which will be no small task. And i'm curious to see how we'll play on the defensive side of things. With all that said....on paper this team looks better then last years team which was no doubt 1 of the top 2 teams i've seen play at AU. Should we be at full strength when the season starts it'll be a heck of a lot of fun to see this team play. We'll know real quick if a final four run is possible based on that Maui tournament.

yeah. A lot depends on the backup PG position. Losing Mitchell was the worse loss of the off season imo. So we'll just have to wait and see how good the JUCO McCormick is. I do think though that Samir Doughty can play PG as well so there may actually be some decent depth there if Harper does (even though it rarely happens) gets into foul trouble.

I don't think losing Murray was that big of a deal. He was gonna see his minutes drop significantly this season so that's why he bolted. Chuma's set to explode onto the scene and I've got high hopes for Horace playing the back up role at the 4. Will be nice to have some actual real championship size on the court this year

• Like 1

I love that we are talking b-ball in the preseason.

There are so many pieces to the puzzle but ... to me ... our success depends on replacing Murray’s toughness, grit and leadership.

• Like 1

Transition defense. We will be a team that takes some quick shots leading to transition opportunities for the offense. How well we defend those will determine this teams overall success level... imo 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Lotta luck and good fortune involved in getting the final four but this squad is built to do it. Not even trying to be hyperbolic but this squad would wipe the floor with that 99 team 

Hmm... I'm going to have to wait and see this team play before I can agree here. That '99 team had chemistry oozing out of every orifice of Beard Eaves Memorial. If this team has the same chemistry, they will go far for sure. There is more talent than there's ever been, but being an AU fan keeps me from just getting hyped on talent, regardless of the skill of the coach in charge. Luck will play a role in how far AU makes it as well as how they match up against certain teams. Bruce understands those match-ups better than anyone if you ask me, but it doesn't mean he can over come them every time.

I also agree with the backup PG being a huge role. AU needs someone who can play 10-12 min to spell Harper. A injury (almost guaranteed) or two puts AU right where they were last year depth-wise.

That said, I cannot WAIT to tip the season off. There are going to be plenty of exciting moments.

• Like 1

If we get to the 2nd weekend of the big dance I will be happy. I also hope to finish top 3 in the conference regular season and at least win a game in the SEC Tourney.

We could be a better team this year but finish with a worse record, but I think it will help us play longer in March.

I hope we avoid any major injuries.

While we will not be perfect, I am extremely confident in Bruce's ability to keep our program's trajectory moving in the right direction.

3 hours ago, wcware said:

Transition defense. We will be a team that takes some quick shots leading to transition opportunities for the offense. How well we defend those will determine this teams overall success level... imo 

That and about 10 other things.

On D, I'm not too concerned with our interior D, especially if AF has regained his form. What I am more concerned about is our guards on ball D.  BB is very good, but he is the only really know commodity. DP, if he invest in it, could be a monster on D with his length. He would really increase his stock if he could show his ability to be that two way guy.

On O, the thing that killed me last year was the lack of movement without the ball.  There were so many times last year when it was 4 standing around watching the game.  We've got to be better at our creating movement and not settling for one-on-one basketball.

I understand that BP runs a guard centered O and our bigs won't necessarily play with their backs towards the basket. However, we need to be able to work inside out when we are shooting cold or struggling to get shots. Our guards need to be able to post and repost our bigs and our bigs need to be able to pass effectively out of a double team. Doing so will make this team much more dynamic.

I'd also like to see us more effective at taking the mid-range jumper when given to us. Too many times last year the D would sag to protect the rim and instead of taking the easy 12 footer, we'd drive into the teeth of the D and force a really bad shot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I'd also like to see us more effective at taking the mid-range jumper when given to us. Too many times last year the D would sag to protect the rim and instead of taking the easy 12 footer, we'd drive into the teeth of the D and force a really bad shot. 

Sounds eerily similar to our football offensive philosophy.  

Edited by AUBwins
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

If we lose 2-3 in a row...will some folks call for A new coach? Just kidding...kinda 😎

13 hours ago, WarTim said:

If we lose 2-3 in a row...will some folks call for A new coach? Just kidding...kinda 😎 

There have been people who weren't happy with Bruce last year, so you are always going to have those fans who doubt. Frankly, unless a pattern of poor play emerges, I doubt anyone will call for Bruce to be let go for a very, very long time. The bigger risk is a blue blood coming to call most likely.

• Like 1

A run to the final four would be great fun!  Looking forward to tipping off in a few short weeks. With our schedule, we will learn a lot about ourselves very quickly. I expect us to lose a few games in our pre-conference schedule, but I hope we show the grit, instinct, intensity, ability to be coached, and team-oriented play that will allow us to advance deep into the tournament at the end of the year.  We need to get better throughout the season and be playing our best ball at the end of the year... something that we did not do last year.

In my opinion, Harper is key. If he plays selfishly and fails to make those around him better, we will fail; however, if he plays unselfishly and makes those around him better, then I think we can be very competitive.

20 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Just wanna make the tourney and enjoy the experience.

Your low expectations are a bummer.

this team has the talent to go far. And I expect them to

1 minute ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Your low expectations are a bummer.

this team has the talent to go far. And I expect them to

not at all.  Match ups in the tournament or a hot team can end your run.  Got high expectations, but enjoying the tournament and how it plays out is much healthier than expecting to win it and being disappointed like Kentucky fans

• Like 2

I think this team could be in the Final Four.

We have the potential to be great.  We have the coaches and players to be great.  But all great teams have some measure of fortune along the way (i.e. luck), and at some point we'll need that as well. 

We'll need the good fortune to avoid injuries to key players, the luck of a call here and there, a bounce here and there...

We'll see.  I'll be watching every game, I can guarantee you that.  Every game.  I can't wait.

• Like 1

Our challenge will be early season OOC schedule w gimpy Wiley and no purifoy with unproven backup PG, a couple new guys and a yet proven healthy Macklemore.  Heron was Uber consistent, Murray was very consistent and Mitchell was a solid 10-12 min a game.

we can’t roll the improved sec and will need the early season wins against a tougher schedule 

I also know zip about the CBB landscape. There could be 20 teams out there with their most talented roster in years too. Maybe a rough start without Wiley and Danjel and the team doesn’t gel? Or maybe they have a fantastic start the Adding in Wiley and Danjel messes with chemistry when guy says lose PT. Or maybe AU just runs roughshod through the whole schedule and we make it snow in Auburn in March.

• Like 1

I could see us getting as low as a 4 or 5 seed but getting hot just at the right time. We are suuuper talented but will have to adjust to play with Wiley and then 1/3 of the way through adjust to Jelly Purifoy coming back. He will probably be rusty and may take a little while for him to find his groove but when he does he will take this team to another level. I have no inside information but I think he's going to surprise some people

Edited by Tiger

22 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Our challenge will be early season OOC schedule w gimpy Wiley and no purifoy with unproven backup PG, a couple new guys and a yet proven healthy Macklemore.  Heron was Uber consistent, Murray was very consistent and Mitchell was a solid 10-12 min a game.

we can’t roll the improved sec and will need the early season wins against a tougher schedule 

The no purifoy situation is gonna hurt more from a depth stand point than lack of scoring stand point. I'm excited to see Samir and word is that Dunbar is much improved. Kind of wouldn't surpise me if Danjel isn't even a guaranteed starter when he is eligible.