Benchworthy

AUght2win

1 hour ago, keesler said:

That is why Stidham is not "Benchworthy" and benching him won't all of a sudden send him a message and teach him that he needs to be tougher.  No doubt he's having problems, and he needs to work through his issues,  but he has not become a serious liability with fumbles and interceptions. A semi-productive running game would alleviate many of his worries, an oline with a backbone would alleviate even more.  He has experience vs the roughest and toughest the SEC has to offer, he's already faced some stiff competition, which is more than can be said for his backups at this point.  

I'm all for giving a backup some PT just to give Stidham a chance to see things from the sideline, read the defense in action, and settle himself down and re-focus.  But a green and inexperienced backup can spell disaster real quick with a shaky oline/running attack.

I fear that Gus' view of Stidham is similar to yours: that JS' ability to not throw INTs is a big enough pro to outweigh his cons. It isn't.

We aren't Wisconsin with a star studded running attack that only needs a conservative game manager. We need a gunslinger this year to get our best offensive players, the WRs, the ball. It's clear after 6 games a running attack isn't happening. 

And above all of that, it's a simple matter of passion. I'd rather lose with the guy desperate to win than the guy playing at 60% intensity, regardless of skill. No other position in sports has a contagious attitude like the QB position. If your QB if fiery, gutsy, etc. the team likely will be too. Look at the effect Fitzgerald had on his team Saturday. We need an injection of fight at that position.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DAG said:

SW chucked and hurled due to lack of arm strength . Had nothing to do with him trying to protect himself. In fact,  him taking on defenders , instead of sliding is one of the main reasons he got hurt. He was very strong and steady in the pocket.

Good post. SW was the anti-JS. He played TOO bravely. He was so gutsy it cost the team. Continuing to play hurt at UGA and taking on a linebacker head on during the first drive versus Oklahoma stick out in my mind. 

2 hours ago, keesler said:

That is why Stidham is not "Benchworthy" and benching him won't all of a sudden send him a message and teach him that he needs to be tougher.  No doubt he's having problems, and he needs to work through his issues,  but he has not become a serious liability with fumbles and interceptions. A semi-productive running game would alleviate many of his worries, an oline with a backbone would alleviate even more.  He has experience vs the roughest and toughest the SEC has to offer, he's already faced some stiff competition, which is more than can be said for his backups at this point.  

I'm all for giving a backup some PT just to give Stidham a chance to see things from the sideline, read the defense in action, and settle himself down and re-focus.  But a green and inexperienced backup can spell disaster real quick with a shaky oline/running attack.

I agree that the players behind him are not nearly as talented as him, but he is not using his talent. He looks like a golfer with the "yips". Many would argue that his play as of late HAS become a liability. Even if we bring in another QB and we go 3 and out for one series, maybe time on a bench will open his eyes for put some fire in him. Something has to give. I mean - say the backup comes in and we go 3 and out or worse - we turn it over.  It is not like that is any worse that our starting QB, right? 

If he comes out in the TN game and holds the ball too long, is inaccurate on short and long throws, and continues to see the rush before it gets to him - the coaches have to do something. If they don't, they are fools. 

All AU fans hope that he gets out of this funk and starts playing better, not only because Auburn needs him to do it, but he needs to do it for his future. My hope is he gets mad and starts playing with a chip on his shoulder. Play like you CAN lose your job, not like you are entitled to always start. 

50 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

We aren't Wisconsin with a star studded running attack that only needs a conservative game manager. We need a gunslinger this year to get our best offensive players, the WRs, the ball. It's clear after 6 games a running attack isn't happening. 

And above all of that, it's a simple matter of passion. I'd rather lose with the guy desperate to win than the guy playing at 60% intensity, regardless of skill. No other position in sports has a contagious attitude like the QB position. Look at the effect Fitzgerald had on his team Saturday. We need an injection of fight at that position.

Great points.   

Alert:   make way - dead horse coming through!

If Chip wasn't micromanaged,  and Stidham was developing, we would be able to make up for a poor ground game.   I THOUGHT those two were covered this season. 

Man I guess I am naive or quite the idiot! 

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

hell yes! i saw the same as well. thats why i get mad when someone calls hima coward. mr stidham is a man regardless of what problems he may have. i think he needs to learn to trust his line and i think they need to show him something to build that trust. when that clicks i think we click and everything falls in place.

Anybody playing D1 ball is a tough individual.

7 hours ago, keesler said:

Take this to the AuburnBoard on the SECRant - they'll engage in discussion with you regarding this very subject.  

WE KNOW the issues over here and they've been beat to death.

Why don't you set all the threads and their subject? Come on man, lighten up. I don't have to read the ones I don't like.

Someone literally posts “Mr. Stidham is a man” while another pastes a rule not to speak badly about these “18-22 year old kids”. I’m confused. Are they kids or big, tough men? Do we REALLY consider 22 year olds to be kids? 

On 10/10/2018 at 4:40 PM, boomstick said:

We continued to play Sean White. Does no one remember Sean White doing the exact same thing? He was definitely a chuck-and-duck guy during his time here, always trying to protect himself from hits. 

I'm guessing you never have actually seen  Sean White play

We're too the point where it can't get any worse. I'd love to see Malick given a guaranteed whole qtr just to see how it goes. I guarantee the running stats would increase and maybe they start crowding the box and young Malick connects on a bomb down field. Right now it just feels helpless. Even if putting in Willis doesn't work, at least the defensive players would feel like you're at least trying something different to help them out.

17 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

My guess is that someone was just cleaning up the boards a bit and the post didn't make sense to them.  We've had a good bit of spleen venting the last few days and everyone seems to want to start a whole new topic on it rather than join in on the other gripe threads, so we've tried to clear out some of that - merging similar threads or deleting others to allow for other kinds of threads not to get lost in the chaos.

Aight. Thanks, was just making sure i hadnt broken a rule

14 hours ago, AUght2win said:

We have probably run the ball fewer times this season than in most past years.   Only 21 this past week against nearly 40 passes....and if you deduct the ASU game from the season stats( almost all on the ground)  we are passing more than rushing...or no worse than equal. 

Think the coaches have already changed the game strategies to more passing and less running.    Problem is that despite more passing, the completion rate is modest and most seem to be for short yardage with the YAC being the biggest number. .

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

We have probably run the ball fewer times this season than in most past years.   Only 21 this past week against nearly 40 passes....and if you deduct the ASU game from the season stats( almost all on the ground)  we are passing more than rushing...or no worse than equal. 

Think the coaches have already changed the game strategies to more passing and less running.    Problem is that despite more passing, the completion rate is just barely over 50%......whereas a good QB should be around 60% or better.  

Good QB should be well over 60 percent and do you have a link to support that JS completion rate is just barely over 50 percent? Like for the season?

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Good QB should be well over 60 percent and do you have a link to support that JS completion rate is just barely over 50 percent? Like for the season?

Thanks....I realized I had the opponent number in the note and corrected it....he is 60% ...but lots of those quick outs which should be about 80%  JMO

PS...noted that he is the 10th rated QB in the SEC on the funky rating scale they use to rate QB performance and down the list in completion percentage.      He is capable of better and I sure hope we see it starting Saturday.

21 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

The problem is, as bad as Stidham has been, what's behind him is worse.

Impossible for you to know that. 

Sandberg may not have as strong an arm as Stidham, but he could possibly resurrect the zone read.

3 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Auburn%20vs%20Ole%20Miss%202016%20White.

See.. what happened here was he had so much power built up on that throw he had to pull back on it and it clipped his legs out from under him. All that energy had to go somewhere, right?!

I was a big Kiehl Fraser fan we he came out of h.s. and IMHO he became so shell shocked he was ruined as a QB. That dark pink school across the state had a QB named Gary Hollingsworth who was pretty darn good IMO until he srarted hearing footsteps even when there weren't any (he's remembered as ole chuck & duck though he started out solid). Just saying.

On 10/10/2018 at 1:41 PM, AUght2win said:

But you guys are totally cool with Fire Gus threads and discussions of the disastrous contract he got, right?

It’s personal opinion on what’s acceptable here....I was banned last year for stating the receivers were bad. Be careful what you say

I’ve said a lot of fairly controversial stuff, railed against Gus, gone after fellow posters pretty hard etc. I don’t believe I’ve ever gone after a player directly and I’ve never been disciplined except the occasional calm down from a mod. They’re pretty fair over here and it’s a unique board for a reason. Just my two cents on the board rules. 

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:45 PM, AUght2win said:

I fear that Gus' view of Stidham is similar to yours: that JS' ability to not throw INTs is a big enough pro to outweigh his cons. It isn't.

And above all of that, it's a simple matter of passion. I'd rather lose with the guy desperate to win than the guy playing at 60% intensity, regardless of skill. No other position in sports has a contagious attitude like the QB position. If your QB if fiery, gutsy, etc. the team likely will be too. Look at the effect Fitzgerald had on his team Saturday. We need an injection of fight at that position.

Let's take a look at where we are. We know that JS needs to play better and we also know the OL needs to play much better. So let's say we change QBs. Any QB we put in will be relying more on the run than we are now. Can we agree on that ? Well, we don't have an OL like we had for NM who could throw 15 passes a game, no INTs and then have 400 yards team rushing to offset it. JS would love to be able to rely on something like that. So my question would be, who is going to do this run blocking for the new QB who will be reliant on the run to be successful ? So far we haven't seen that kind of run blocking ability from our OL.

20 hours ago, Linayus said:

See.. what happened here was he had so much power built up on that throw he had to pull back on it and it clipped his legs out from under him. All that energy had to go somewhere, right?!

giphy.gif

Archived