A program at a crossroads

aubiefifty

I believe it’s about perception.   We as fans perceive that JS is not a good leader because he doesn’t show a lot of emotion on the field in front of us.    When in reality, we are not at practice and inside the locker room.   Now it maybe true, but we as fans don’t know unless someone that inside that bubble tells someone on this board.    It’s my perception that if JS had  come out on fire with the deep ball this season ,  none of this fire the coach would be happening.   This is with the bad line play.   Now people will say that it’s because of bad line play that he is missing on those passes, but I don’t believe that’s true.   The pass is coming out of his hands it’s just not on target.    Just my thoughts 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

I think fans have weird expectations. I'm not talking about the expectation that we don't look lost, beat the people we should, be competitive otherwise. I think that's reasonable.

I think that sometimes we don't correctly perceive "the people we should beat." Sometimes that means not giving a team or a situation enough credit, sometimes that means giving our team way too much credit. We are (as human beings) really bad at bigger picture and get caught up viewing the last things that have happened as absolute reality. We have certainty about how 75 young men are going to play vs 70 other you get men any given Saturday, where there can be none. (ETA: perfect example - WDE said at the very beginning of the season that we would be limited but the OL, and there was near universal condemnation. We overrated ourselves, for a multitude of reasons but not the least of which is that we love AU football and want to be the best. Clouds the judgement, it does.)

(As an aside, we also have weird expectations - I saw someone in this thread, in the midst of a good post about the cyclical nature of AU football and repeated trips to the crossroads that it's a culture thing - and that Jay Jacobs leaving didn't fix it.

Uh...he hasn't even been gone a year.  In fact, things have gone downhill since he left...right? I mean, let's bring him back, it was better then! (I am being facetious - just pointing out that our framing of things is so tightly bound to temporal proximity that where we feel we are analyzing, we are in reality reacting. Likely emotionally.)

I have always felt that the expectation should be set if you can consistently get a top 15 recruiting class annually. IMO, if you are able to do that, you should be able to beat anybody on any given day. That is just my opinion. Obviously, you can’t win every game. However, this notion has been shot down and some people feel likeAuburn is in the right spot as they don’t recruit as good as UGA, Bama, LSU. The problem is when they lose to teams whom they recruit better than this argument goes right out the door.

You haven’t heard it as much since we loss to Miss state. So I go back to consistency. I think this is the major theme and should be heralded as the deciding factor on Gus. Beating Washington but inexplicably losing to Miss state. Beating Bama but the inability to find a way to beat someone like UCF. This is very problematic. Heck, at this point I would be okay with the Bob Stoops, Mark Richt stigma at UGA. Winnning majority of the games except the big ones.

To be honest we really should only lose to Miss State once every 10 years. They just aren't on our level but our coach somehow makes them seem like they are. And they're starting to believe it too.

The thing I see is that the sec has been down, for the most part. There really has only been a couple of dominate teams the past few years, this year probably the worst. Every year it takes us 4-6 games to figure out who we are and we keep doing the same thing every year. We have constantly been in the top with recruiting every year, but always need time to develop players. If you look back every 3or 4 years we have a really good team and then that class leaves and we start back at zero and it take 3-4 more years to do it again. So with that being said why does it take us that long to develop players when most other teams pick up the next year pretty close to where they was the year before. We have pretty much run the same offense for how many years and everybody has figured it out. I feel sorry for the offensive coordinators because he will always be the fall guy for someone’s failing offensive system that doesn’t work anymore and refuses to change it. It’s like in his head he thinks “come hell or high water this s@&$ is gonna work” or just let the coordinator take the fall and replace him over and over and over.

8 hours ago, Tiger said:

To be honest we really should only lose to Miss State once every 10 years. They just aren't on our level but our coach somehow makes them seem like they are. And they're starting to believe it too.

3-3 vs MooState 🙁

28 minutes ago, keesler said:

3-3 vs MooState 🙁

Philip didn't mention this record while pumping Gus's 2-3 record vs Saban. 

On 10/11/2018 at 6:33 AM, DAG said:

Yeah I am trying to figure out the point here. I am not taking a dig at  @aubiefifty , thanks for the wonderful article. But I got to say, this pursuit of how we do against Nick Saban needs to stop. Okay he has done a good job battling Nick Saban. He is in the tough SEC West. He also gets highly touted recruits for being in such a conference. He also gets paid high end dollars for it. Oh, he also has pretty dang good resources. It’s pretty much a wash if you can handle NS but lose to a UCF, a downtrotten LSU team or the likes of Mississippi State.

Furthermore, most of the fan base aren’t expecting to beat Alabama every year. We are just asking for freaking consistency. Last year he beat UGA and Alabama..he gets a higher contract. Since then , I believe he is 4-4 now. That won’t cut it.

This.. Second part

This.....!

On 10/11/2018 at 10:23 AM, pepper said:

Hey Philip Marshall. It’s impossible when a few dumb***** give this joke an extension and more money 🤑🤑🤢🤮!!!without hearing what most Auburn fans want!!!! 

But...but.... He beat Alabama.

Let's rush the field

Archived