A program at a crossroads

aubiefifty

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

It’s nearly impossible if administrators, coaches, players and supporters aren’t pulling together in pursuit of a common goal.

Hey Philip Marshall. It’s impossible when a few dumb***** give this joke an extension and more money 🤑🤑🤢🤮!!!without hearing what most Auburn fans want!!!! 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, pepper said:

Hey Philip Marshall. It’s impossible when a few dumb***** give this joke an extension and more money 🤑🤑🤢🤮!!!without hearing what most Auburn fans want!!!! 

Fans make terrible and rash decisions. Why on earth would you think we have any input on it.

13 minutes ago, selias said:

Fans make terrible and rash decisions. Why on earth would you think we have any input on it.

You’re right Philip. Us fans will just stay the mindless weak sheep you want us to be. The higher ups at Auburn know what’s best for us common people anyway 

3 hours ago, wcware said:

I believe the atmosphere has changed. At that moment in time we were winning.... well we thought we were. Look I really don’t know what they were thinking then or what they are thinking now. I hope whatever they do or don’t do for that matter is a decision made not in haste or under pressure. Do I think Gus’s new contract was the right decision, NO. Do I think we should fire him now, NO. I just want to enjoy my Tigers playing good football again. Whatever has to happen, that is the End Game, WIN. I have lurked here a long time and just started posting, sorry if this was out of line. I am just running my trap about footballs I really enjoy most everyone’s post even if I don’t agree sometimes. WDE everyone 

Please ignore my overtly, often abrasive sounding replies.  Welcome to the board!

I'm a testy old fart on here sometimes, I've had a couple of decades of irritation and angst towards the AU "Powers That Be" and the Auburn Administration as a whole and even with a brand new President & Athletic Director I still feel there's always a very high probability that someone could be tugging at the puppet strings. 

They ultimately made a knee-jerk reaction, and Gus/Jimmy Sexton threats about Arkansas (LOL) - the AU Admin swallowed the bait, kow-towed to the pressure and in the wake of the euphoria of Gus whipping uga/uat, they caved to his demands and literally handcuffed Auburn for at minimum 3-5 yrs with this astronomical buyout.

Until some of the old fossils on the BOT and the puppet masters behind the scenes die off, I'll continue to not trust the inner workings of Auburn athletics.

Again, welcome to the board and don't just lurk in the shadows - POST often.

4 hours ago, Scottie said:

I think that misses the point.  I don't think it has anything to be obsessed with either coach. I think the below point is the main concept.

Auburn has not shown consistency in being prepared for the season or for major games in quite some time. This season is a complete cluster gaggle in terms of readiness. Every season as of lately, we come out "trying to find ourselves". That is a scapegoat of an excuse if I have ever heard one.  I expect some changes to be needed, but an entire rework of the offense is unacceptable.  If I deliver a half-assed product to a client, which I don't; I expect to be chewed out and compared to other companies. Comparisons amongst competitors is natural and to be expected. You strive to grow and get better. If that doesn't happen, you get replaced/termed.

People focus on Saban and Kirby because their teams are an example of what Auburn fans are expecting. Consistency, planning, forecasting, and delivery.  At a high level, Gus has shown an inability to be adaptable, forward thinking, and prepared. These are inexcusable with this many years under his belt. People will respond "Well, if you think you can do better..", but that is a logical fallacy. Coaching football isn't my specialty; so, I am no expert. You don't have to be an expert to see issues with project management though.  This isn't a team new to being at a crossroad; this is a team that is consistently at a crossroad due to more planning. A team in flux with a fan base seeking as much direction and reassurance as the players appear to be seeking.

My God that's a good post.

:hail:

An excellent way to make a comparative analysis of the situation in business terms, gets to the root of the problem without sounding like it's a great big whine fest and blaming Bama/UGA and their coaches for Auburn's consistent deficiencies.

Sounds to me like Phillip is tryptophan convince us to be patient with ol Gus and give him a crutch for his short comings. I’ve made my feelings plain many times so a I won’t belabor the point but as so well stated by Kessler and others, Gus losing to MSU and LSU have zero to do with what the turds and mutts are doing. 

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

My God that's a good post.

:hail:

An excellent way to make a comparative analysis of the situation in business terms, gets to the root of the problem without sounding like it's a great big whine fest and blaming Bama/UGA and their coaches for Auburn's consistent deficiencies.

Agree Kessler, very well said by Scottie. 

2 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Sounds to me like Phillip is tryptophan convince us to be patient with ol Gus and give him a crutch for his short comings. I’ve made my feelings plain many times so a I won’t belabor the point but as so well stated by Kessler and others, Gus losing to MSU and LSU have zero to do with what the turds and mutts are doing. 

I know your auto-correct inadvertently typed tryptophan - but I chuckled.  PMarshall is just like a bloated old turkey full of gas and hot air - makes us all wanna snooze. 

1 minute ago, keesler said:

I know your auto-correct inadvertently typed tryptophan - but I chuckled.  PMarshall is just like a bloated old turkey full of gas and hot air - makes us all wanna snooze. 

Ha!!!! I didn’t even notice but it does kinda fit so I’ll leave it!! Lol

So as I’ve said before just look at the history . Every coach son Dye has been sucessful at Auburn. It has more to do with AU than it does with the coaches. AU will always get better than average players. Coaches cone in and let it work early and they win like 2010 and 2013 and TBs first two years. Then all of a sudden they assume it’s all due to their intelligence. So they begin to show everyone how smart they are and screw it up. We can go out tomorrow and hire Joe Roberts from MSU or Mark Stoops from Kentucky and I’ll guarantee you that in two years we will be contending for the SEC West . 

2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

We can go out tomorrow and hire Joe Roberts from MSU or Mark Stoops from Kentucky and I’ll guarantee you that in two years we will be contending for the SEC West . 

You are right, but I can equally guarantee you that if we did, we would bottom out again shortly thereafter and be “At the Crossroads” once again. Over 30 years, we’ve changed coaches, coordinators, schemes, and QBs like musical chairs, and still we can’t sustain success worth a damn. Even Jacobs leaving hasn’t done it. It’s a culture thing, deep in our DNA, and needs to be addressed that way. The changes listed above are bandaids on a gaping wound. I remain hopeful that Dr. Greene is a man with the pedigree to recognize that and implement appropriate culture change throughout our athletic department. And hopefully soon. 

6 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

You are right, but I can equally guarantee you that if we did, we would bottom out again shortly thereafter and be “At the Crossroads” once again. Over 30 years, we’ve changed coaches, coordinators, schemes, and QBs like musical chairs, and still we can’t sustain success worth a damn. Even Jacobs leaving hasn’t done it. It’s a culture thing, deep in our DNA, and needs to be addressed that way. The changes listed above are bandaids on a gaping wound. I remain hopeful that Dr. Greene is a man with the pedigree to recognize that and implement appropriate culture change throughout our athletic department. And hopefully soon. 

You are right. I wish that their was someway they could earn their way up then their attitude would be much different. I almost believe we would be much better to promote like Steele , Garner or TWill. Maybe if hey would not let the success that will surely come, go to their head. TB , Tubby, Chiz and Gus were all guys who thought they were so smart they could do anything and it would work. So they took a dream job and took a leak on it.

but I do agree I am hopeful Mr. Greene will get it fixed “if” Leath and the board stay they heck out of the way. I think had Alan Ben here say last October Gus wouldn’t have that contract. Gus was never going to Arky he knows he can’t win there.

Gus must be feeling the heat, here comes Philip out with a piece blaming AU fans and defending Gus. This is a tradition as Auburn as rolling Toomers Corner. Marshall never thinks ANY AU FB coach deserves to be fired. He will always blame fans for unreasonable expectations and defend his coaching buddies.

11 hours ago, DAG said:

Exactly. I imagine if a poll was put out, majority of the fans aren’t so obsessed with Saban and Kirby. 

Exactly I don’t care whether we beat either so much as we play to our talent level. Gus admitted in his interview this week that he is just now thinking they know what to do, six games into the season. It’s like you told your boss at the car factory that you put the doors on the first 20 cars on backward but now you think you got it firgued out. Then the next day and do the same thing. You could tell the boss hey I got 60 good ones each day, but I’m pretty sure your boss is still going to fire you because he can’t afford you to start everyday screwing something up.

It is the way Malzahn teams are ill prepared to start the season. It takes him 3 or 4 games to figure out what he has. Then, it is the way that he loses, by continuing to try to do things that his personnel cannot do or execute. I'm just tired of his "Mickey Mouse" offense that requires an All-American, dual-threat, NFL caliber QB to run.

4 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

It is the way Malzahn teams are ill prepared to start the season. It takes him 3 or 4 games to figure out what he has. Then, it is the way that he loses, by continuing to try to do things that his personnel cannot do or execute. I'm just tired of his "Mickey Mouse" offense that requires an All-American, dual-threat, NFL caliber QB to run.

You mean CFL caliber DB?

TeemingUnknownChamois-size_restricted.gif

The "elephant in the room" in the discussion (no pun intended) is money.

Maybe it's just me, but when an Auburn football coach is given a $49 million contract - not to mention  what our competitors are paying their coaches - the whole damn system is ******.

As a species, we are facing existential challenges and this is the way we allocate resources?  :no:

Sorry, back to the discussion.....

55 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Maybe it's just me, but when an Auburn football coach is given a $49 million contract - not to mention  what our competitors are paying their coaches - the whole damn system is ******.

As a species, we are facing existential challenges and this is the way we allocate resources?  :no:

Spot on. 

If I focus on Bama, it’s because of Saban and his success. I wouldn’t if Shula or Dubose was the coach. 

Question: Could Saban win a championship with the talent we have at AU now? Or Kirby? If so, then for $49 million, our expectations are absolutely not too high 

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

I said when Saban was hired for that amount of money it was going to be a bad thing for college football.

17 hours ago, wcware said:

I believe the atmosphere has changed. At that moment in time we were winning.... well we thought we were. Look I really don’t know what they were thinking then or what they are thinking now. I hope whatever they do or don’t do for that matter is a decision made not in haste or under pressure. Do I think Gus’s new contract was the right decision, NO. Do I think we should fire him now, NO. I just want to enjoy my Tigers playing good football again. Whatever has to happen, that is the End Game, WIN. I have lurked here a long time and just started posting, sorry if this was out of line. I am just running my trap about footballs I really enjoy most everyone’s post even if I don’t agree sometimes. WDE everyone 

Glad to decided to join in. Post often.

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

See, I don't mind the money.  It's just kinda the going rate. What I do mind is the ROI. It feels like we wanted Berkshire Hathaway and instead sent our money to a Nigerian prince.

We should be competitive and prepared in every game. We are not.

21 hours ago, keesler said:

.  That should've relieved a ton of anxiety and nervousness on CGM's part because he is immune to the annual baying for his blood that comes from media/message board posters/radio call-in folks.

And yet, here we are. In a situation once again where Auburn fans are calling for a coaches head at the first sign of adversity and may very well get it.

So much for immunity.

Product has been crap. No question. But PMs point had nothing to do with the team or the coach - his point was about the fans. And it was spot on.

I think fans have weird expectations. I'm not talking about the expectation that we don't look lost, beat the people we should, be competitive otherwise. I think that's reasonable.

I think that sometimes we don't correctly perceive "the people we should beat." Sometimes that means not giving a team or a situation enough credit, sometimes that means giving our team way too much credit. We are (as human beings) really bad at bigger picture and get caught up viewing the last things that have happened as absolute reality. We have certainty about how 75 young men are going to play vs 70 other you get men any given Saturday, where there can be none. (ETA: perfect example - WDE said at the very beginning of the season that we would be limited but the OL, and there was near universal condemnation. We overrated ourselves, for a multitude of reasons but not the least of which is that we love AU football and want to be the best. Clouds the judgement, it does.)

(As an aside, we also have weird expectations - I saw someone in this thread, in the midst of a good post about the cyclical nature of AU football and repeated trips to the crossroads that it's a culture thing - and that Jay Jacobs leaving didn't fix it.

Uh...he hasn't even been gone a year.  In fact, things have gone downhill since he left...right? I mean, let's bring him back, it was better then! (I am being facetious - just pointing out that our framing of things is so tightly bound to temporal proximity that where we feel we are analyzing, we are in reality reacting. Likely emotionally.)

It isn't about keeping up with Bama. It's about our own inconsistency. It's about losing so many games to teams we shouldn't be losing to. It's about the chaos that has been put on the field since the SECCG. It's the lack of leadership and direction at the top and how that is manifesting down through to the play on the field. 

Archived