The Stock Market

TexasTiger

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Caveat: Obama took over as the stock market had cratered, it had no way to go but up.
He did a phenomenal job of protecting American businesses.

Trumps recovery has been far more centered toward the Average Joe than WS Billionaires.

I dont like the guy, but when Unemployment is down (especially for minorities and women) to record lows and Wages are rising for the first time in almost 20 years, I will give him some due.

47 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Caveat: Obama took over as the stock market had cratered, it had no way to go but up.
He did a phenomenal job of protecting American businesses.

Trumps recovery has been far more centered toward the Average Joe than WS Billionaires.

I dont like the guy, but when Unemployment is down (especially for minorities and women) to record lows and Wages are rising for the first time in almost 20 years, I will give him some due.

These are great from a 35,000 foot view, but the cost associated with achieving those numbers has been astronomical.  The budget deficit is actually rising depsite more people working.  Deficit was decreasing steadily by the time Obama left office.

7 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Screw stats, I have made a lot more money in the Trump market in two years than I did in eight under Obama.

Well considering the market more than doubled during Obama's tenure, I'd say you really suck at playing the stocks.

20 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Well considering the market more than doubled during Obama's tenure, I'd say you really suck at playing the stocks.

Took me most of the Obama years to make up for what I lost in 2008 and 09...…..and that was probably the case for most older Americans who were/are living off of IRAs and 401Ks...and not trading in and out of the market. ..

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Took me most of the Obama years to make up for what I lost in 2008 and 09...…..and that was probably the case for most older Americans who were/are living off of IRAs and 401Ks...and not trading in and out of the market. ..

You still should have come out well ahead of where you started.  The Dow topped out around 14,000 when the crash happened in 2008.  It was just under 20,000 when Obama left office.

32 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I will match my results against yours any time.;D

1 minute ago, Proud Tiger said:

I will match my results against yours any time.;D

Feel free.  From the time Obama took office to the time he left, my investments doubled.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Feel free.  From the time Obama took office to the time he left, my investments doubled.

You lose. Hope you weren't in in Feb. 2008 when he took office.

You still should have come out well ahead of where you started.  The Dow topped out around 14,000 when the crash happened in 2008.  It ended when Obama left office at just under 20,000.

actually if you look at the chart it topped out at about 16,000 and finished at 19,000 or so...so in about 8 years I made up about 20%....which was not bad except I was having to live off that money too.   I don't blame or give presidents much credit for what the market does. but it's probably more than coincidence that the market continued to rise under DT despite the prophets of doom who assured us that a recession/crash would follow the election. 

Just now, Proud Tiger said:

You lose. Hope you weren't in in Feb. 2008 when he took office.

Had very little in.  Also, he took office in January 2009.  The 2008 crash was under Bush's watch.

Had very little in.  Also, he took office in January 2009.  The 2008 crash was under Bush's watch.

So what?   

Just saying that you are overselling the gain during the Obama years....but I guess that's nitpicking since BO did very little (other than use the Fed to jack up the market) to help the general economy....JMO

Just now, AU64 said:

So what?   

Just saying that you are overselling the gain during the Obama years....but I guess that's nitpicking since BO did very little (other than use the Fed to jack up the market) to help the general economy....JMO

PT said Obama took office in 2008.  Merely correcting his mistake there boss.

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

And the debt started to rise more rapidly due to BO's economic policies unchecked to this day. In any event glad you have done well.

3 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

And the debt started to rise unchecked to this day. In any event glad you have done well.

The debt has been ballooning for years, going back as far as the Reagan admin.  Only one year since 1981 have we had less than $100B added to the debt (2000).  Neither party has any interest in addressing the issue.

https://www.thebalance.com/us-debt-by-president-by-dollar-and-percent-3306296

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

PT said Obama took office in 2008.  Merely correcting his mistake there boss.

Election was in 08 and generally the market reacts to the election outcome and not so much to when the guy actually takes office.....same with DT I think; but the trends were evident in both instances.. 

I was just noting that I was having to live off of depressed interest rates and a market that had cut my investments by about 20% or so.    That was a long grind during the Obama years for people on fixed income.  just sayin' 

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

The debt has been ballooning for years, going back as far as the Reagan admin.  Only one year since 1981 have we had less than $100B added to the debt (2000).  Neither party has any interest in addressing the issue.

https://www.thebalance.com/us-debt-by-president-by-dollar-and-percent-3306296

But Obama added more than all the previous President combined. Trump may outdo him. I agree few politicians have much interest or PC idea how to reduce it.

Done for tonight.

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

So what?   

"Overselling the gain during the Obama years?"  WTF?

That's a matter of record.

10 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

But Obama added more than all the previous President combined. Trump may outdo him. I agree few politicians have much interest or PC idea how to reduce it.

Done for tonight.

There was a purpose for Obama running up the deficient. One that worked.

Trump? Not so much.

(And seriously, more than all other presidents combined.  Do you understand the time value of money and inflation?)

Perhaps many on here do not comprehend the nature of spending, in that no single factor alone, or even primarily, accelerates the deficit - at least if you look at from a finance perspective. I could create an infinite list of democratic and republican actions that increased the deficit. In other words, the "chain of blame" never stops. To make it a sheer partisan battle does not accomplish much. 

On another note, yesterday, major indexes saw their best day in six months. Things are very volatile right now. Good time to diversify. 

2 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Perhaps many on here do not comprehend the nature of spending, in that no single factor alone, or even primarily, accelerates the deficit - at least if you look at from a finance perspective. I could create an infinite list of democratic and republican actions that increased the deficit. In other words, the "chain of blame" never stops. To make it a sheer partisan battle does not accomplish much. 

On another note, yesterday, major indexes saw their best day in six months. Things are very volatile right now. Good time to diversify. 

The biggest threat to the economy (spending) are interest rates...and the Fed definitely helped during the Obama years with artificially low rates...but that looks to be a thing of the past and even just holding appropriated spending to same as previous year will still result in a big "spending gain" ...and few people seem to be paying attention to it.  JMO:dunno:

15 hours ago, AU64 said:

So what?   

I don't get in and out of markets.  I lost a little over half of my holdings in the 2008 crash.  I recovered all of that, plus about another 20% under Obama's two terms.

That's not "overselling" the gains under Obama, it's simply fact.

I don't hold Obama personally and totally responsible for the recovery - some of what he did was already started by Bush.  What pisses me off is the regulatory reforms that were re-instituted after the crash were promptly eliminated again by Republicans.  

Archived