The Stock Market

TexasTiger

3 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Perhaps many on here do not comprehend the nature of spending, in that no single factor alone, or even primarily, accelerates the deficit - at least if you look at from a finance perspective. I could create an infinite list of democratic and republican actions that increased the deficit. In other words, the "chain of blame" never stops. To make it a sheer partisan battle does not accomplish much. 

On another note, yesterday, major indexes saw their best day in six months. Things are very volatile right now. Good time to diversify. 

It's always a "good time" to diversify.  Market players are kidding themselves.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I've been satisfied with markets in both terms.

19 hours ago, homersapien said:

It's always a "good time" to diversify.  

Actually that is not true. Many times, diversifying is disadvantageous. Granted, you are just a science guy. I guess that explains your overly simplistic investment notion. I, on the other hand, have higher academic training in finance and I also worked at an investment bank prior to commencing my legal studies. (Maybe it comes down to knowledge attained through studies and experience, which clearly favors me.)

Again, no biggie. I will give you a pass. Always remember you can one up me on the science.

2 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Actually that is not true. Many times, diversifying is disadvantageous. Granted, you are just a science guy. I guess that explains your overly simplistic investment notion. I, on the other hand, have higher academic training in finance and I also worked at an investment bank prior to commencing my legal studies. (Maybe it comes down to knowledge attained through studies and experience, which clearly favors me.)

Again, no biggie. I will give you a pass. Always remember you can one up me on the science.

Very true!! My grandson is a VP at a major stock trading firm. He manages my wife's 401K. He has her always diversified. I manage my own 401k as well as my savings account investments. Over the last 10 years I have always beat him by far in % return. And 99% of mine is with one stock and options.....Apple Computer. Just look at their chart over time.

12 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I am just a science guy with 40 years of investment experience on a kid like you. What a little jerk you are.  :no: 

(Assuming this isn't sarcasm to start with.)

30 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I am just a science guy with 40 years of investment experience on a kid like you. What a little jerk you are.  :no: 

(Assuming this isn't sarcasm to start with.)

“40 years of investment experience” ha!!!!!

You made a patently false statement. Own it.

The key problem in this discussion is the word "always"....

I've had friends over the years who were basically invested in their employers....Westinghouse and GE to mention a couple and their failure to diversify cost them badly .   But if you get lucky and don't diversify into a stock like Apple you can make a fortune.....then again,  if you happen to load up on Enron  …..well......retirement is gonna be tough.  Diversity is a means of protection and JMO but it is not possible to heavily diversify and still achieve very high returns.....something(s) in a diversified portfolio is not going to perform and drag the rest down.  

14 hours ago, AU64 said:

The key problem in this discussion is the word "always"....

I've had friends over the years who were basically invested in their employers....Westinghouse and GE to mention a couple and their failure to diversify cost them badly .   But if you get lucky and don't diversify into a stock like Apple you can make a fortune.....then again,  if you happen to load up on Enron  …..well......retirement is gonna be tough.  Diversity is a means of protection and JMO but it is not possible to heavily diversify and still achieve very high returns.....something(s) in a diversified portfolio is not going to perform and drag the rest down.  

I don't consider getting lucky as much of a game plan for accumulating wealth. I learned this by experience. ;)

It's one thing to make a bet here or there on a company, but only with money you are prepared to lose ($20 grand in my case), not with the money you are counting on to retire. 

21 hours ago, homersapien said:

game plan for accumulating wealth.

21 hours ago, homersapien said:

It's one thing to make a bet here or there on a company, but only with money you are prepared to lose ($20 grand in my case)

Why such a small amount? 😎

7 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Why such a small amount? 😎

It was all I was willing to throw away.  To me, $20 grand is a lot of money to gamble with. 

But then, I wasn't born into wealth so frugality came naturally.

(If you really want to call cutting losses at $2Ok "frugal".)

18 hours ago, homersapien said:

It was all I was willing to throw away.  To me, $20 grand is a lot of money to gamble with. 

But then, I wasn't born into wealth so frugality came naturally.

(If you really want to call cutting losses at $2Ok "frugal".)

I am only being facetious Brother Homer

JMO but a person almost has to have a "death wish" to be involved with the stock market right now.  

Saw recently that something like 3/4s of the trades on any given day are programmed trading (and who knows what the programs are instructed to do or why)  so there is probably even less relationship to business and economic performance than in the past....market has not been logical anyway but..JMO ….seems that some big program traders have the ability to manipulate market actions to their benefit.   Just look at the chart for "trade volume"....last several days there has been a huge spike of activity at 3:45..usually taking the market down. 

I watch the ups and downs but fortunately do not need money from my 401ks but the irrational ups and downs are a bit scary I will admit.....and I usually have a pretty high tolerance for that sort of thing. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/16/2018 at 9:16 PM, Proud Tiger said:

Screw stats, I have made a lot more money in the Trump market in two years than I did in eight under Obama.

How's your portfolio doing?

5 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

How's your portfolio doing?

Great thank you. As I said earlier you can make money in a down market if you know what you are doing.  I'm already ahead this year. Shorted  AAPL and NVDA yesterday and look at them today.

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

Great thank you. As I said earlier you can make money in a down market if you know what you are doing.  I'm already ahead this year. Shorted  AAPL and NVDA yesterday and look at them today.

So what happened during the Obama years, did you not know what you were doing then? ;) 

17 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

So what happened during the Obama years, did you not know what you were doing then? ;) 

Strong steady markets perplex him.

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Strong steady markets perplex him.

Yeah you should be so perplexed. I'm only perplexed this time of year because I now have to pay capital gains.

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

Sure I did. The market just wasn't all that great so I stayed mostly in funds paying an average of 12% and played around with options a little.

31 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Sure I did. The market just wasn't all that great so I stayed mostly in funds paying an average of 12% and played around with options a little.

If you booked a 12% annual return I'm not sure what anemic growth you're griping about ...

56 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

If you booked a 12% annual return I'm not sure what anemic growth you're griping about ...

You can have anemic growth in a broad sense but still find sectors/nuggets. In my case it was REITs. I still have some.

6 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

The market was better than since Trump was elected.

Clueless moron slaps head here. ↘️

On 10/16/2018 at 8:16 PM, Proud Tiger said:

Screw stats, I have made a lot more money in the Trump market in two years than I did in eight under Obama.

So have I.

Archived