Fire Gus (merged threads)

AuburnTiger4Life

Just on the topic of a new HC,  it got me thinking about who we’d go after. I’ve started really warming up with the idea of someone like Aranda, yes I know it’s the “coordinator” route, but I like it for two reasons. For one, he has a lot of experience working at big time universities, and two, maybe most importantly in his time at LSU, he has seen how important it is as a HC to let your coaches coach. He’s one of the few coordinator hires that I wouldn’t mind at all because he strikes me as the type that would go out and get the best coordinators he could get.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Just on the topic of a new HC,  it got me thinking about who we’d go after. I’ve started really warming up with the idea of someone like Aranda, yes I know it’s the “coordinator” route, but I like it for two reasons. For one, he has a lot of experience working at big time universities, and two, maybe most importantly in his time at LSU, he has seen how important it is as a HC to let your coaches coach. He’s one of the few coordinator hires that I wouldn’t mind at all because he strikes me as the type that would go out and get the best coordinators he could get.

Gus has 2 first hand experiences with this and it didn't do diddly in terms of letting coordinators do their job after he became HC.

In fact, his first OC hire was effectively not hiring an OC at all (this was most likely intentional) because Rhett wasn't even calling anything until people got on Gus about how bad our O looked.

And to be fair, Rhett had no business calling an SEC offense at the time he was hired. 

11 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Gus has 2 first hand experiences with this and it didn't do diddly in terms of letting coordinators do their job after he became HC.

In fact, his first OC hire was effectively not hiring an OC at all (this was most likely intentional) because Rhett wasn't even calling anything until people got on Gus about how bad our O looked.

And to be fair, Rhett had no business calling an SEC offense at the time he was hired. 

I agree, and that’s one thing that intrigued me about Aranda more than anything. There are a lot of bright minded coordinators that can flourish, if given a chance, and he’s someone that I think has personally seen the significance of that.

9 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I don't disagree with anything you said. But I never said anything about how many times we have won 10, what I said is how many times we have won 10 in back to back seasons. In our history, we have done it a grand total of one time. And when we did it, we weren't playing a 12 game schedule. And I'm pretty sure when we did do it bowl games didn't count either. 

So there is nothing misleading about what I said at all. It doesn't matter how many games are on the schedule or if bowl games count in the win loss record or not. The simple fact remains, we have won 10 games in back to back years ONLY once. Expecting us to magically win 10 every year is not realistic. 

If you go back in and look at the history books, you'll see 10 win seasons a bit more rare than you think... especially prior to the 12 game schedule.  Saying AU has only done it once back to back isn't saying much of anything... that is the misleading part... Hell, go back far enough and you'll see they didn't even play 10 games a year. 

3 teams in the SEC have never done it... Ole Miss hasn't since 1959/60... aTm not since 1993/1994... UT 2003/2004... Heck, Vandy hasn't ever had a 10 win year... 

In total 10 win season (not necessarily consecutive) AU is tied for 4th in the SEC with UF (14 total) and behind UT (20), UGA (21), UA (35)

I don't think AU even started playing 10 game seasons until 1930, and that included the bowl game. It was 1937 before we played our first 10 game regular season.

1957 was our first 10 win year, 10-0... followed the next year with a 9-0-1 record (no bowl games those years due to probation).

The misleading part your your statement is bringing ALL OF AU history into it.  When you should know full well that a 10 win season in 1957 is completely different than a 10 win season in 2017.

I'd consider firing his butt for what he has put Anders Carlson through. 

Two weeks ago he claimed he wasn't going to have him attempting field goals from 50 plus, but Saturday sent him out there to try one. Never had a chance. Now 1 for 8 over 50. Kick Saturday was further right than Alex Jones.

2 hours ago, TigerFanAU said:

No need to get personal. I'm in finance and see plenty of money in my line of work. It doesn't necessarily go to me, but I work with a lot of it.

And $32mil is alot of money right now. The Harbert Family recruiting center addition to Jordan Hare cost $28 million. With Malzahn's buyout money Auburn could build a matching second one on the other side of the jumbotron and still have $4mil leftover. The Plainsman Park player development facility cost $4million. So that's 2 facilities that cost as much as one man's buyout..... Gus Malzahn.

Maybe we have it, I'm sure we do, but to act like $32mil isn't a significant amount of money is ignoring the fact and putting heads in the sand.

Since your in finance maybe you’ll understand this because AU football is a 147+ million a year commodity they have a good bond line they could if needed do a 32 million bond for 8 years at 4 mill a year. They don’t have to because worse case scenario they have to pay 15 million up front ( minus 2 million Gus has already pledged) they rest over 4 year or 4 mill a year. So when uat brought Saben in they were making about 120 million now topping 200 million . Student number has grown significantly. So getting the right coach and getting rid of the wrong one can make that 32 million look like a great investment. How do you think universities pay for these large cap funded projects. Right they usually do bonds an a payment plan much like normal folks. By the way wasn’t implying you weren’t wealthy just stating firing Gus would be the equivalent to you going out and buying a new car on a $100,000 a year job. 

Personally I would go after a Defensive minded HC with the input that they needed to go after either a pro OC or pro offensive coach with a good background on a  high- fire pro offense. Look at what Mike Locksey has done at uat ( and yes I believe Tua is very good but they too are breaking in a new line, yet he has coached to their capability. Most are fast struck plays not a lot of fancy stuff trying to fool some one. 

2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Personally I would go after a Defensive minded HC with the input that they needed to go after either a pro OC or pro offensive coach with a good background on a  high- fire pro offense. Look at what Mike Locksey has done at uat ( and yes I believe Tua is very good but they too are breaking in a new line, yet he has coached to their capability. Most are fast struck plays not a lot of fancy stuff trying to fool some one. 

Also, the way he is using Jalen Hurts is incredible. Hurts is running, receiving, and throwing. They are running a 2 qb package that is, in my opinion, the most indefensible thing I have ever seen in college football.

20 hours ago, gravejd said:

Put me in the boat of people who are against firing Gus this season. I think gus is a bad coach. I think next season will be worse then this season. I think Gus will likely be fired after next season is worse then this one. But with all that said....AU gave him a huge contract and now we have to take our medicine. It sucks....i hate it. But this is where we are. 

Also, i wish people would focus on gus doing a poor job on the field and stop with the personal attacks. This guy just donated 2 million dollars to AU for us to improve our facilities. He doesn't want bad things for AU. He doesn't want to be a bad football coach. He doesn't want AU to not do good this season. That 2 million dollar donation speaks volumes to me. He wants to do well and he wants what is best for AU. Its just not working out for what ever reasons.

So lets all man up and take our medicine. AU is bad this year. AU will be expected to win 1 more game this year. Everybody let that sink in. That is our new reality. If you watch the remaining games with that viewpoint then perhaps seeing the rest of the beatdowns will won't be so bad. :dunno:

That's ridiculous.  You don't allow the program to regress even further, and create massive holes in recruiting over the next year or so because you want to save $7 million off the buyout.  It's a time for decisive, bold management of this program instead of settling and instead of clipping coupons and hunkering down for our weekly beatdowns.  

"Take our medicine."  Pfffft.  Sack up and cut our losses.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

That's ridiculous.  You don't allow the program to regress even further, and create massive holes in recruiting over the next year or so because you want to save $7 million off the buyout.  It's a time for decisive, bold management of this program instead of settling and instead of clipping coupons and hunkering down for our weekly beatdowns.  

Jay Coulter on TET has a really good article. Leath MUST go.

http://trackemtigers.com/no-way-out-for-auburn/

18 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

I agree, and that’s one thing that intrigued me about Aranda more than anything. There are a lot of bright minded coordinators that can flourish, if given a chance, and he’s someone that I think has personally seen the significance of that.

PLEASE NO!  Auburn is not a training school for Head Coaches - We've been through this already with CGM - he just shed his freaking training wheels last year.

8 minutes ago, keesler said:

PLEASE NO!  Auburn is not a training school for Head Coaches - We've been through this already with CGM - he just shed his freaking training wheels last year.

I don't think you shut yourself off to good coaches based on such.  I mean, yes - guys with head coaching experience would top my list.  But many times, excellent assistants are more than ready to take over a major program and I wouldn't bypass one of them by making HC experience a non-negotiable. 

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't think you shut yourself off to good coaches based on such.  I mean, yes - guys with head coaching experience would top my list.  But many times, excellent assistants are more than ready to take over a major program and I wouldn't bypass one of them by making HC experience a non-negotiable. 

I understand your point Titan, but a coach with zero HC experience can easily get swallowed up by the AU PTB puppet masters that are apparently still operating behind the scenes.  And it's evident that those aren't very smart AU people and I question their business acumen as they are the very people that put AU football in this current situation.

A proven, experienced HC with a background of solid mentors are preferable at this point.  Many have said Gus lacks a coaching tree from which to pull knowledge and resources (Houston Nutt/Gene Chizik) are a reason for his lack of trust issues and his close minded tendencies. 

I just don't wish to see AU have to raise another HC and have to go through the growing pains all over again.  Been there done that.

5 minutes ago, keesler said:

I understand your point Titan, but a coach with zero HC experience can easily get swallowed up by the AU PTB puppet masters that are apparently still operating behind the scenes.  And it's evident that those aren't very smart AU people and I question their business acumen as they are the very people that put AU football in this current situation

I don't think head coaching experience is any inoculation against such a thing.  Being a man who knows what his philosophy is, who knows the kind of process that needs be in place to have success, has a set of balls, and can politic a bit and so on is the better indicator of whether they can handle the "puppet masters."

A proven, experienced HC with a background of solid mentors are preferable at this point.  Many have said Gus lacks a coaching tree from which to pull knowledge and resources (Houston Nutt/Gene Chizik) are a reason for his lack of trust issues and his close minded tendencies. 

I just don't wish to see AU have to raise another HC and have to go through the growing pains all over again.  Been there done that.

Preferable, yes.  But we aren't likely to be stealing a long term HC from a top-tier program.  Only name out there that's gettable to me would be Bob Stoops, if he's interested in getting back in the game.  But are we talking Franklin from Penn St?  Swinney from Clemson?  Meyer from Ohio State?  Peterson from Washington?  Nope, nope, nope and nope.  What we'll end up with outside of Stoops (if HC experience is a must) would be an up and coming head coach like Mario Cristobal (whom I think would be great), Brohm, Fuentes, Norvell.  

But I'd put Aranda, Venables and perhaps a couple of other coordinators above some of the names on that list, frankly.

I'm still a fan of going after Heupel. He's no stranger to big time football. I like the HC's he's served under and UCF hasn't skipped a beat with him taking over for Frost.

3 minutes ago, selias said:

I'm still a fan of going after Heupel. He's no stranger to big time football. I like the HC's he's served under and UCF hasn't skipped a beat with him taking over for Frost.

I would be totally okay with this hire!

There are only like 3 freaking proving head coaches in the game. Dabo, Urban or Nick Saban. If it isn’t one of those three, they really haven’t proven crap. I have heard Gary Patterson name thrown around. Gary Patterson is a solid coach, but to bring him from TCU would require us to make him one of the highest paid coaches in college football, if not the highest paid.

He has done a pretty good job at TCU, but the big 12 has been wide freaking open for TCU to win it and it has yet to be done. He is also another one who is very helter skelter. Look at his records. Great season than avaerage season. He is not worth making the richest coach in college football.

20 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

I’ve been saying his name for a while. My 3 would be him, Oregon’s coach or UCF coach..

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

I’ve been saying his name for a while. My 3 would be him, Oregon’s coach or UCF coach..

I agree, I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Cristobal and Heupel forsure. On Aranda, it was said before and KN said this to someone on 247 asking about him:  

“Not sure if true, but have heard he just sees himself as a ball coach --- not as a head coach. Apparently he likes being an assistant so he can do real teaching, real coaching. If true, then he's cut from a different cloth.”

“Again, that is only what I've heard.”

That being said. He would be in my top list forsure, if he would listen.

paying the buyout seems to be gaining traction. Hope Springs Eternal. But it's tough one Auburn fan who wants Gus gone. If he wins another game besides Liberty he'll likely end up staying.. I'm still pulling for Auburn to win out every game all day but it sure is hard knowing that would mean we're stuck with Gus

11 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

If he doesn't get fired there is a chance we can break ground on the new facilities this year and get that ball rolling. If we have to pay Malzahn, all his assistants, and a new coach i highly doubt we break ground on new facilities. 

Also, if we change coaches we basically blow up this years recruiting class anyway. So thats probably a wash either way.

Finally, there is no guarantee the next coach will be successful. So its not like its not like we fire Malzahn and are guaranteed to be better. I'm not saying avoid change because you are afraid of it being worse on the other end. I'm saying its not a black and white decision. There are a lot of factors here and that is why our AD makes the call and not a bunch of pissed of fans

pissed of fan = me and you

Archived