Fire Gus (merged threads)

AuburnTiger4Life

31 minutes ago, DAG said:

Does the dislike actually take away your reaction points? Really we need a like and dislike counter  haha . That way you can notice as soon as someone post how quality the content usually is 

I agree. You have my vote.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus was not hired to be a trainee/head coach in waiting!  The guy is the 5th highest paid college coach in the entire nation.  He is grossly overpaid and grossly overestimated, by some, as a head coach.  

I have no idea what is going to happen to him, but if he remains as HC it won’t be because of competence. 

1 hour ago, AUwarrior said:

Look I'm no more happy than the rest of you with how this season is going but we need to be patient. Gus hasnt been a head coach long enough to know if he will be great. If you looked at Sabans record after his first 6 seasons you wouldn't have thought there was anything special about him. Sabans record for his first 6 seasons was 34-24, the first 6 for Gus his record was 45-22. It really seems like seasons 7-10 was when average Nick Saban transformed into elite Nick Saban, and he didnt have to face Nick Saban every season while trying to do it. I think Gus deserves a little more patience.......but not much. lol War Eagle!

then i think your points are inadvertently saying he has no business coaching a program like Auburn with its historical success at this time in his career. And certainly not making this amount of money relative to the rest of college coaches at this time. What was saban's salary relative to the rest of college coaches when he was with  Mich st. I bet it wasnt near top 5.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/06/21/college-football-10-toughest-places-win-power-five/718880002/

USA Today disagrees with gr82b4au. No, we are NOT the toughest job in CFB. Two not-very-good coaches have gone to the NC here in the past decade, for Christ's sake--winning one of them and almost winning the other. That's a hell of a lot more than you can say about a "blue blood" like Notre Dame (though to be fair, they seem to be a good team this year).

3 hours ago, AUwarrior said:

Look I'm no more happy than the rest of you with how this season is going but we need to be patient. Gus hasnt been a head coach long enough to know if he will be great. If you looked at Sabans record after his first 6 seasons you wouldn't have thought there was anything special about him. Sabans record for his first 6 seasons was 34-24, the first 6 for Gus his record was 45-22. It really seems like seasons 7-10 was when average Nick Saban transformed into elite Nick Saban, and he didnt have to face Nick Saban every season while trying to do it. I think Gus deserves a little more patience.......but not much. lol War Eagle!

I think, if Gus had earned that patience by ingratiating and endearing himself to the fan base and the powers at Auburn, people would be willing to give him more time. Unfortunately, he's repeatedly made the same mistakes. He sets himself up for failure by being dishonest (maybe mostly with himself) about the potential of the teams and players he's led over the last 4-5 years. From what I see and hear, no one believes in him anymore. No one trusts him to lead this team and this program into consistent prominence. He says and does so many contradictory things that he can't be believed or trusted.

He just wants to be a coach that handles Xs and Os and personnel and game plans and not worry about the other parts of the program. And this job requires more. It requires some politicking and glad handing and relationship building. When you don't have those relationships and people skills and when those things you relied on to get you here (Xs and Os and offense) fall apart and aren't successful, he doesn't have anything to fall back on to be in the good graces of the fans and PTB. All he's ever had for that kind of support is important wins and great offenses, and both of those things seem like very distance memories at the moment with little hope of being found again.

3 hours ago, AUwarrior said:

In order for the Saban analogy to hold up you will have to review film of all NS losses and count up all of the 'bone head' plays then stack them up against 'whirly-bird' and all of Gus' bone-head plays. Good luck with that research project!

9 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

This thread was destined for greatness...

Reminds me of Gus's HC career at AU. Starts off with a lot of promise, but then reality sets in.

1 hour ago, Mike4AU said:

Gus was not hired to be a trainee/head coach in waiting!  The guy is the 5th highest paid college coach in the entire nation.  He is grossly overpaid and grossly overestimated, by some, as a head coach.  

I have no idea what is going to happen to him, but if he remains as HC it won’t be because of competence. 

The AU Administration and the PTB placed him in the HC position knowing he'd only had 1 yr of HC experience - he was basically in training his first 3-4 yrs. He shed his training wheels last year and the AU Administration and the PTB made the man the 5th highest paid college coach in the nation with a $49mm/7yr guaranteed contract.  He is grossly overpaid and the people responsible for putting him and Auburn football are a collective group of morons.

• WarTiger changed the title to Fire Gus (merged threads)
7 minutes ago, keesler said:

The AU Administration and the PTB placed him in the HC position knowing he'd only had 1 yr of HC experience - he was basically in training his first 3-4 yrs. He shed his training wheels last year and the AU Administration and the PTB made the man the 5th highest paid college coach in the nation with a $49mm/7yr guaranteed contract.  He is grossly overpaid and the people responsible for putting him and Auburn football are a collective group of morons.

Beautiful analogy Keesler.

2018 Gus:

2M3BWpp.gif

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/06/21/college-football-10-toughest-places-win-power-five/718880002/

USA Today disagrees with gr82b4au. No, we are NOT the toughest job in CFB. Two not-very-good coaches have gone to the NC here in the past decade, for Christ's sake--winning one of them and almost winning the other. That's a hell of a lot more than you can say about a "blue blood" like Notre Dame (though to be fair, they seem to be a good team this year).

Well I disagree with them. Just because we won doesn't mean it is not the hardest job in America. We win because we do whatever it takes. It is still the hardest job.

When it comes the the schedule - basically we are guaranteed to play the #1 team and a top 5 Georgia team every year as OUR MAIN RIVALS. The only other team that has that problem is TN. But we also have to play in the West (which TN avoids). Then look at recruiting. We are not a state team. We share the dang state with Alabama (who has the best coach ever) and never loses. We are closest to Georgia who hardly ever loses.  

Side note: On top of that (and this is just pure crazy bad luck) we somehow schedule OOC teams that are insanely good when we play them. USC, Kansas State, Clemson, Washington... heck even Utah State had some of their best teams ever when we played them. Guess what... Oregon is on the way up. I am sure they will be top 5 next year to start the season. hahaha unreal bad luck... 

Oh and let's not forget - the fanbase expects at least SEC championships every few years despite all of this. You win and recruit well or you are on the hot seat. 

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Geez Kessler I wish you would just tell us how you really feel 😄

54 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Well I disagree with them. Just because we won doesn't mean it is not the hardest job in America. We win because we do whatever it takes. It is still the hardest job.

When it comes the the schedule - basically we are guaranteed to play the #1 team and a top 5 Georgia team every year as OUR MAIN RIVALS. The only other team that has that problem is TN. But we also have to play in the West (which TN avoids). Then look at recruiting. We are not a state team. We share the dang state with Alabama (who has the best coach ever) and never loses. We are closest to Georgia who hardly ever loses.  

Side note: On top of that (and this is just pure crazy bad luck) we somehow schedule OOC teams that are insanely good when we play them. USC, Kansas State, Clemson, Washington... heck even Utah State had some of their best teams ever when we played them. Guess what... Oregon is on the way up. I am sure they will be top 5 next year to start the season. hahaha unreal bad luck... 

Oh and let's not forget - the fanbase expects at least SEC championships every few years despite all of this. You win and recruit well or you are on the hot seat. 

Well, I was saying playing big OOC games was a dumb idea back in the day, when people were whining about playing three Go5 or D2 teams a year. So somewhat correct. With Oregon, they were coming off an NC appearance when we scheduled them. They only became bad after that. 

As far as cross-division goes, FL is becoming a power again, and LSU has to play them. Yes, we play them next year, but it's good to get them out of the way next year, either in a new coach's first year or in a lame duck year for CGM.

And yes, the fact that we've won DOES mean we're not the toughest. You really think Cam would've won a NC at MSU? (Well, he definitely wouldn't have because they would've gotten zapped with probation, but yeah.)

Going forward with a defeatist attitude does nothing.

3 hours ago, beaumak said:

then i think your points are inadvertently saying he has no business coaching a program like Auburn with its historical success at this time in his career. And certainly not making this amount of money relative to the rest of college coaches at this time. What was saban's salary relative to the rest of college coaches when he was with  Mich st. I bet it wasnt near top 5.

My point is that he shouldn't have been hired if we expect elite results, BUT since he was hired and we have 5+ years of sweat equity invested it would be a waste to dump him for anything other than an elite head coach when he really hasnt had very long to fully develop as a HC in the grand scheme of things.  If an elite coach is available then great, lets get that guy,  but why dump him for another "hope he pans out" coach? He hasnt performed at an elite level consistently but he has fixed the defense and the program is in better shape than  it was when he took over.  

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Yep.  Nothing but bad luck and trouble.  Fortunately, we're blazing new trails in excuse R&D and our rationalization metrics are off the chart.

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

And yes, the fact that we've won DOES mean we're not the toughest. You really think Cam would've won a NC at MSU?

MSU does not expect to win like AU does. You win 8 games a year there and you are the greatest coach ever. That is the difference. 

2 hours ago, AUwarrior said:

My point is that he shouldn't have been hired if we expect elite results, BUT since he was hired and we have 5+ years of sweat equity invested it would be a waste to dump him for anything other than an elite head coach when he really hasnt had very long to fully develop as a HC in the grand scheme of things.  If an elite coach is available then great, lets get that guy,  but why dump him for another "hope he pans out" coach? He hasnt performed at an elite level consistently but he has fixed the defense and the program is in better shape than  it was when he took over.  

Auburn can’t get an elite coach, if they could we’d have never seen the likes of Gene Chizik or Gus Malzhan and we’d have never paid one of ‘em $49mm/7 yr 75% guaranteed for what is basically a mediocre record and who can’t win a dang bowl game to save his life.

Now they can kick his ass to the curb if they want, choke on the buyout and they still won’t pull an elite coach. It’s NOT happening, not at Auburn.

4 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

When it comes the the schedule - basically we are guaranteed to play the #1 team and a top 5 Georgia team every year as OUR MAIN RIVALS.

I think those games are positive selling points too. The Iron Bowl is the biggest game in college football besides playoffs. A lot of recruits who see that game probably want to be a part of it

17 minutes ago, AUJedi said:

I think those games are positive selling points too. The Iron Bowl is the biggest game in college football besides playoffs. A lot of recruits who see that game probably want to be a part of it

Move out of Alabama and make this statement.  You'll get a lot of other games mentioned as "the biggest". Many years, the Iron Bowl isn't even the biggest game in the SEC West.

10 hours ago, AUJedi said:

CAN’T or WON’T. I think with the puppet masters, it’s WON’T 

I don't know, I'm just looking at the last 2 hires the "search committee" bought to the Plains.

Archived