Fire Gus (merged threads)

AuburnTiger4Life

3 hours ago, AUwarrior said:

Definitely not apples to apples, I mainly was using him as a general example to show that there have been coaches who took a decade to reach elite results.  Great info on MSU, it kind of highlights part of the reason I want to give CGM a couple more years. Saban was under next to no pressure to win at a program like that. He was green and had the freedom to try different things and figure out what works. Gus on the other hand has had to try to figure out how to be a HC while basically in a pressure cooker where his every move is criticized while being expected to win immediately. I get it though, when things are bad people dont want to see the good and when things are good people dont want to see the bad. I just think so far his good has far outweighed his bad but I understand why people are focused on the bad currently.  Since 2013 Saban has lost 4 SEC games, 2 of those are to CGM. It takes skill to do that and that gives me hope for the future.  Yeah yeah Hugh Freeze got the other 2 but he was cheating. lol War Eagle!

Gus Malzahn: By The Numbers

As of Saturday, October 13th, 2018, Gus Malzahn is:

• 2-3 vs. Alabama [1]
  • 2-4 vs. Georgia [2, 8]
  • 2-4 vs. LSU [3, 4, 10]
  • 1-4 in bowl games [5, 6]
  • 0-3 in bowl games vs. major conference teams
  • 0-7 in Baton Rouge, Athens and Tuscaloosa
  • 26-18 vs. SEC opponents
  • 10-9 vs. SEC opponents on the road
  • 4-5 vs. non-conference Power 5 teams
  • 2 NY6 bowl appearances (0-2 in them) [7, 9]
  • 4 straight seasons (and counting) with at least four losses
  • 1st loss to a non-major conference team in 27 years [9]
  • 1st loss to Tennessee in 19 years (20 years at home) [12]
  • 0 playoff appearances
  • 0 National titles

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, doc4aday said:

From what I have heard and have read from a good source, firing Gus at season's end is a real possibility and the money will be there to do the deed. Part of it will be paid upon the good riddance ceremony, and the rest over the next  3-4 years. The coach searching committee better get it right. I hope that they would have Bo Jackson and Frank Thomas on the committee along with some former Auburn football players.

Bo was on the committee that rubber stamped Gus. If we're going to have a search committee, let's hire a professional one.

Just to be clear, I'm not digging into Bo. He did his job as a good alumnus and ambassador but, let's not pretend that was an actual committee decision.

1 hour ago, CR said:

Listened to Bryan Matthews and Jay Tate podcast. They think there's a real chance Gus is fired during bye week if AU loses to Ole Miss. Says he has little to no ability to fire his players up to play for him.

Dang...that would be incredible-in the wow-did-that-just-really-happen way

6 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Maybe we can find some loophole that finds that Leath was incompetent and not of sound mind when he negotiated this contract!  I honestly think that if the season goes as far south as it can go, there will be big money contributors ready to negotiate some kind of deal that will get Gus gone. If this happens, you can bet the farm that a competent coach will be hired. There are many good options out there. I like:

1. Brian Harsin -Boise State

2. Bill Clark -UAB

3. John Grass - JSU

4. Lance Leipold - Buffalo 

5. Will Muschamp -USC

6. David Shaw -Stanford

7. Paul Chryst - Wisconsin

8. Dave Aranda -LSU DC

9. Brent Venables -Clemson DC

10. PJ Fleck - Minnesota

11. Mike Norvell - Memphis HC

12. Justin Fuentes - VaTech HC

13. Lane Kiffin - FAU

14. Mark Richt - Miami HC

There are others out there as well. We have to get it right this time around with no exceptions. 

No,  not Will Muschamp or Lane Kiffin. We want to get rid overrated,  not replace overrated with very overrated.

27 minutes ago, EaglesWest said:

Does anyone know if Gus' buyout has a clause related to him coaching again?  Seems like I remember Chiz's did, and when he took the DC job at NC, we stopped paying out.

Malzahn does not have a mitigation clause in his contract. He gets paid 100% of his buyout regardless of future earnings.

7 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Malzahn does not have a mitigation clause in his contract. He gets paid 100% of his buyout regardless of his future earnings.

Which just adds to the idiotic nature of this deal.  I get paying the man and providing some security after the run we went on last year.  But Leath and Co. got absolutely stripped naked and embarrassed on this deal.  It was like Sexton was negotiating with a kindergartener.

15 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Malzahn does not have a mitigation clause in his contract. He gets paid 100% of his buyout regardless of his future earnings.

Wow, what a stupid business decision.  Seems like these guys were still in the Georgia-Bama wins afterglow.  Contracts must be formulated and negotiated objectively, and certainly not right after big wins.  Losing the SECCG and bowl games like we did should have thrown some cold water in Leath and Co.'s faces.

9 hours ago, kwagoner said:

What was his record his last year at FSU? 

I wasn’t arguing whether TAM was right in what they did. I was stating that unlike some folks at AU they are not willing to sit by and watch their university play second fiddle to anyone. They are not worried what other think of their actions. The believe in themselves and are willing to do what ever it takes to reach their ful potential. 

32 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Malzahn does not have a mitigation clause in his contract. He gets paid 100% of his buyout regardless of future earnings.

Yay us!   We're so frickin' stupid...  We might actually deserve what we've been getting from Gus. 

9 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Don't know if you've ever seen the football life series on Bill Belichick when he began his head coaching career with Cleveland.  He had a TON of coaches under him that are now successful coaches and/or GM's from that staff.  Saban was his DC.  I'll bet Saban put in more hours in those 4-5 years (before he was a college head coach) than Gus has put in in his total career.  Comparing those two is like comparing General George Patton to PFC Gomer Pyle.

This is probably Gus’s biggest problem . Success came to quick for him and he really didn’t have to earn it like a few others. Because of that he has never really learned to appreciate it. Guys like Saben, Myers and Stoops realize that once sucess comes the hard part of maintaining it follows which requires putting forth continued effort and be willing to grow by improving what you are doing. The old saying if your not moving forward your backing up.

11 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

You’re gonna pick that one year out as an example? 

47F3BE5C-18FE-4418-B693-17517EDE7149.jpeg

Yep. How many of our fans would melt down with that season 2 years removed from a NC. Feels familiar 

And some that claim he’s an “Elite” coach. He was brilliant in seeing the implosion and bailing to aTm before the stock dries up. (Meyer too, but sleazier tactics.)

Winston is the success of the previous 2 seasons and the NC, much like Cam.

Factor in that FSU had one tough game a year, I just don’t give him the elite status. 

11 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Maybe we can find some loophole that finds that Leath was incompetent and not of sound mind when he negotiated this contract!  I honestly think that if the season goes as far south as it can go, there will be big money contributors ready to negotiate some kind of deal that will get Gus gone. If this happens, you can bet the farm that a competent coach will be hired. There are many good options out there. I like:

1. Brian Harsin -Boise State

2. Bill Clark -UAB

3. John Grass - JSU

4. Lance Leipold - Buffalo 

5. Will Muschamp -USC

6. David Shaw -Stanford

7. Paul Chryst - Wisconsin

8. Dave Aranda -LSU DC

9. Brent Venables -Clemson DC

10. PJ Fleck - Minnesota

11. Mike Norvell - Memphis HC

12. Justin Fuentes - VaTech HC

13. Lane Kiffin - FAU

14. Mark Richt - Miami HC

There are others out there as well. We have to get it right this time around with no exceptions. 

Why would David Shaw, Paul Chryst, or Mark Richt take this job?

26 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I wasn’t arguing whether TAM was right in what they did. I was stating that unlike some folks at AU they are not willing to sit by and watch their university play second fiddle to anyone. They are not worried what other think of their actions. The believe in themselves and are willing to do what ever it takes to reach their ful potential. 

Time will tell, but he’s on track to have a Sumlin type season. I’m not saying he won’t exceed it in the future and prove your point. I’m just not sold.

All but 4 of 25 years SEC  west representatives were AU, UA, or LSU. If he accomplishes that, it'll be a start. (Yes, only the last 6 years include A&M) Point is, it’s a tough eggs to crack.

17 minutes ago, kwagoner said:

Yep. How many of our fans would melt down with that season 2 years removed from a NC. Feels familiar 

And some that claim he’s an “Elite” coach. He was brilliant in seeing the implosion and bailing to aTm before the stock dries up. (Meyer too, but sleazier tactics.)

Winston is the success of the previous 2 seasons and the NC, much like Cam.

Factor in that FSU had one tough game a year, I just don’t give him the elite status. 

Ok man.

1 hour ago, Auburn Kev said:

The Auburn-Gus contract might turn out to be one of the worst sports coaching contract in sports history, and I'm serious. 

Gus Malzahn: $32M guaranteed

Charlie Weiss: $18M guaranteed

Jimbo Fisher: $75M guaranteed.

Lovei Smith: $13M guaranteed

It'll be interesting to see this play out, but right now we have some serious egg on our face. Thank you Leath and Boosters.

3 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

good question, I'd also like to know this.

Found this

Link

This is relevant also because if Auburn wants to get out from Malzahn’s contract, it has to hope the coach just takes a job elsewhere.

Depending on the Tigers’ view of their head coach, that might be a dream. Due to the contract structure, Malzahn would owe Auburn a buyout if he left, with the amount getting smaller as time goes on:

• $7 million if it were in 2019 or sooner
  • $5 million if it were in 2020
  • $3 million if it were in 2021
  • $2 million if it were in 2022
  • $1 million if it were in 2023 or 2024

16 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Does noone want mark stoops- dude has made UK a contender in the East. I think him, shaw, clark, or campbell

He's had one good year so far.  I'm not anti-Mark Stoops, but I'd like to see him sustain that a bit before declaring UK turned around.

Archived