Fire Gus (merged threads)

AuburnTiger4Life

17 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Does noone want mark stoops- dude has made UK a contender in the East. I think him, shaw, clark, or campbell

I think he would be a good choice and we would probably get Eddie Gran back at Auburn since he is currently UK's off cord. 

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, aubietiger14 said:

I think he would be a good choice and we would probably get Eddie Gran back at Auburn since he is currently UK's off cord. 

If we're stuck with Gus, maybe we snatch Gran away and ride it out...

1 hour ago, EaglesWest said:

Wow, what a stupid business decision.  Seems like these guys were still in the Georgia-Bama wins afterglow.  Contracts must be formulated and negotiated objectively, and certainly not right after big wins.  Losing the SECCG and bowl games like we did should have thrown some cold water in Leath and Co.'s faces.

It was quite literally the ONLY bright spot in Auburn Athletics that Leath had seen since he unpacked his boxes in his AU office.  Leath had been dealing with a constant barrage of negative headlines relative to AU Athletics for months and months.  Sunny Golloway's (baseball) wrongful termination lawsuit + Corey/Clint Myers (softball) sexual discrimination case involving Title IX ramifications + Bruce Pearl (basketball) having his Asst HC indicted with the damn FBI involved & 2 other assts suspended + 2 basketball players suspended for a year + AU Compliance breathing down everyone's neck + having to literally force the AU AD to pack his bags and leave.

The only bright spot was AU football beating the #1/#2 teams in the country by a HC with no off-the-field issues, no coaches on his staff acting inappropriately,  and no players parents or asst coaches taking money on the side (a NCAA violation), Leath & the PTB were most definitely basking in the afterglow and chose to act irrationally with that contract.

It is what it is now and Auburn will piss or get off the pot!

34 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

This is relevant also because if Auburn wants to get out from Malzahn’s contract, it has to hope the coach just takes a job elsewhere.

Depending on the Tigers’ view of their head coach, that might be a dream. Due to the contract structure, Malzahn would owe Auburn a buyout if he left, with the amount getting smaller as time goes on:

• $7 million if it were in 2019 or sooner
  • $5 million if it were in 2020
  • $3 million if it were in 2021
  • $2 million if it were in 2022
  • $1 million if it were in 2023 or 2024

If Gus has any dignity in him, then he should go find another job. Hell, give him another $7 million on his way out. He has to know he's not performing at the $49 million level.

1 hour ago, Notjeffco said:

Why would David Shaw, Paul Chryst, or Mark Richt take this job?

They won't - it's nothing more than wishful thinking.  And watch what happens the longer this thing drags out with Gus' neck on the chopping block, the more far-fetched these "candidate lists" will get.  

Chryst and richt are in their final jobs. Chryst is a UW alum and richt is in his twilight years at the U. The best guy is VTs coach but he seems to really like it their, would take a lot of money to move him. To me the chance is to go after a coach who has exceeded expectations, built a program, at a B list school

3 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

Malzahn does not have a mitigation clause in his contract. He gets paid 100% of his buyout regardless of future earnings.

Image result for wait what meme gif

36 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Chryst and richt are in their final jobs. Chryst is a UW alum and richt is in his twilight years at the U. The best guy is VTs coach but he seems to really like it their, would take a lot of money to move him. To me the chance is to go after a coach who has exceeded expectations, built a program, at a B list school

Sounds like Bill Clark

2 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

And people at one time thought this was a cool car

cc-48-040-800

1xuMBd8.gif

2 hours ago, Notjeffco said:

Why would we want to consider Mark Richt?

He was Gus before Gus....plus he's sucking even at Miami now.

2 hours ago, AURealist said:

If we're stuck with Gus, maybe we snatch Gran away and ride it out...

I doubt Gran would come join Gus and only be able to call Gus's 7 plays.    

1 hour ago, TigerFanAU said:

If Gus has any dignity in him, then he should go find another job. Hell, give him another $7 million on his way out. He has to know he's not performing at the $49 million level.

Not sure a P5 school would hire him, after this year, in ANY capacity....  He'll probably "retire".

1 hour ago, TigerFanAU said:

Maryland be a good fit for Gus. 

Right outside DC. Like a politician, Gus can talk and talk, without actually answering a question. Spin should be his nickname.

9 minutes ago, aubietiger14 said:

I doubt Gran would come join Gus and only be able to call Gus's 7 plays.    

Did I leave out the part about hog-tying Gus on Game day?

17 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

You leave Kiffin and Matt Campbell off on purpose? I’d put Campbell near the top.

Kiffer is on there; just forgot about Matt Campbell...Thanks!

6 hours ago, Notjeffco said:

not sure they would, but mentioned their names for a wish list!

6 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

And people at one time thought this was a cool car

cc-48-040-800

last of a dying breed in atypical cars!

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Not sure a P5 school would hire him, after this year, in ANY capacity....  He'll probably "retire".

I could absolutely see a place like Kansas, Rutgers, or North Carolina going after Gus if we were to fire him.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I could absolutely see a place like Kansas, Rutgers, or North Carolina going after Gus if we were to fire him.

Yep. He would get another HC gig. Just not at a premier school yet. Look at Kevin Sumlin.

Guest WarEagleSteve
37 minutes ago, reddevil9335 said:

Long time lurker and reader. I would call the following in this order and make them tell me no. 

1. James Franklin

2. Mario Cristobal

3. Bill Clark

James Franklin a. isn't leaving Penn State and b. has lost at least one conference game a year to a team that has no business being on the field with Penn State (2016 Pitt, 2017-2018 Michigan State). We'd just be trading one frustrating coach for another. 

39 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm sure you're right but....

....then we'll all point & laugh at them.

I think he's even hurting himself as a potential OC moving forward.  I truly believe he's fast becoming a national laughing stock based on the number of articles popping up each week.

Guest WarEagleSteve
Just now, AUsince72 said:

I'm sure you're right but....

....then we'll all point & laugh at them.

I think he's even hurting himself as a potential OC moving forward.  I truly believe he's fast becoming a national laughing stock based on the number of articles popping up each week.

When you're supposed to be an "offensive genius" and your offense is falling apart around your ears for the second time in four years for the same stupid reasons, that tends to happen. Gus's business card is starting to look a little like this: image.png

19 minutes ago, WarEagleSteve said:

When you're supposed to be an "offensive genius" and your offense is falling apart around your ears for the second time in four years for the same stupid reasons, that tends to happen. Gus's business card is starting to look a little like this: image.png

Sorta like Gus' game plans...

wile-e-coyote-super-genius_o_3851443.jpg

Archived