Fire Gus (merged threads)

AuburnTiger4Life

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AUFriction said:

Stoops is already a stretch. It would take a ton of money to buy him back to anywhere other than Oklahoma. Given the large buyout and the fact that he would want to clean house staff wise, Stoops wouldn’t happen.

The other two names mentioned are unproven. Venables has been vying for a head coach job for several years, and has been passed over every year. Cristobal has less than a year of HC experience and has looked meh so far this year.

Oregon was a mess last year and they are 4-1 this year with only a narrow OT loss to Stanford and score a ton of points.  He's got SEC experience as an assistant under Saban and is an elite recruiter.

Kirby Smart was unproven too.

But regardless, Gus is not the answer.   We negotiated a bad contract.  Allowing this mess to continue to get worse doesn't help anything.  It's time to move on.

36 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well he won’t be fired but I don’t want to hear that tired question ...who could we get that is better? There are several coaches who probably could Muster up a win against Tennessee with Auburn talent who are paid way less.

That question infuriates me. Auburn is a prime position. I just don't believe we couldn't get top quality coach. At least someone that can develop talent. 

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

As I said, first you call Bob Stoops to see if he's happy being retired or is itching to get back in it.

If he says no, you start talking to Mario Cristobal and Brent Venables.  That's a pretty good start.

No Bob Stoops. It's just not a good situation. It's lose lose to me. 

1 minute ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Why do some of y’all want Kiffin??

If Joey Freshwater would take the job, I could stomach him on Auburn's sideline.

6 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

You want names? ok, here are same. Lane Kiffin, James Franklin, David Shaw, Charlie Strong, Mark Stoops, Neal Brown, of Troy, Bill Clark of UAB

The majority of the Auburn fan base and alumni would NEVER accept Kiffin. He espouses te polar opposite of Auburn values. Strong is a bust. Clark has not coaches in the power five before. Brown has coaches in the big five as a coordinator, and mostly looked poor doing so. We can’t afford Shaw or Franklin if we buy out Gus this early. And Charlie Strong??? The guy who ran Texas into the ground? Talk about a downgrade.

1 minute ago, Moriarty88 said:

How about a go fund me page?  I bet that we could raise a decent amount toward the buyout.

There were about 6 GoFundMe's started last week for a total of $10 donated. 

Jeff Brohms 

Matt Campbell

Mike Norvell

Lane Kiffin ( yes I am serious)

Dave Aranda

Hugh Freeze ( doubt it would happen)

this guy is getting paid to lose to the likes of 1st year head coaches. Stop with these arguments of being unproven 

obviously you make people say no to you first.

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

That question infuriates me. Auburn is a prime position. I just don't believe we couldn't get top quality coach. At least someone that can develop talent. 

We can get a top coach, but only if the PTB get OUT IF THE WAY. And they wont. Thats why we turned down Kirby. 

3 minutes ago, Moriarty88 said:

How about a go fund me page?  I bet that we could raise a decent amount toward the buyout.

Count me in for $20

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

The majority of the Auburn fan base and alumni would NEVER accept Kiffin. He espouses te polar opposite of Auburn values. Strong is a bust. Clark has not coaches in the power five before. Brown has coaches in the big five as a coordinator, and mostly looked poor doing so. We can’t afford Shaw or Franklin if we buy out Gus this early. And Charlie Strong??? The guy who ran Texas into the ground? Talk about a downgrade.

Winning cures all. If Kiffin came in and started winning, people wouldn't care about his history (I already don't).

Think I mentioned it in a post after the loss last week.

Anyone who heckles Malzahn and gets it on video gets at least $50 from me, maybe more depending on if it makes it to ESPN or the SEC Network. He needs to be made to feel as uncomfortable as possible, since this is now how I feel when I watch Auburn play. I'm dead serious about this, if I lived in Auburn I might get arrested for stalking because I'd go out of my way to heckle the man.

It's sad that I can only hope that something like that would make it easier for Mr. We Had A Good Week Of Practice to resign. 

Just now, WeaglWeaglWDE said:

We can get a top coach, but only if the PTB get OUT IF THE WAY. And they wont. Thats why we turned down Kirby. 

Agree. I was going add that we've had top coaches that were interested in coming to AU but we wouldn't let them run the program as they'd want. Now we look like complete fools b/c UGA is going to be set up nicely for a long time. At least they'll be in contention more years than not. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Jeff Brohms 

Matt Campbell

Mike Norvell

Dave Aranda

this guy is getting paid to lose to the likes of 1st year head coaches stop with these argument of being unproven 

What about Bill Clark?

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

It would be a major upgrade.

Hell I would be an upgrade at this point. But with Stoops you would get a few years at best and then he's retired again. Or at worst, he tanks and then quits and we are screwed for years to come. 

Just now, TAYLORKEETON said:

What about Bill Clark?

You can throw him in there too. I mean we are paying a guy top 5 money to lose like this. To be 4-3 in his sixth year. It’s super unacceptable.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Jeff Brohms 

Matt Campbell

Mike Norvell

Dave Aranda

this guy is getting paid to lose to the likes of 1st year head coaches. Stop with these arguments of being unproven 

Honestly, I'd love to see what Kiffin could do at Auburn.

1 minute ago, selias said:

Honestly, I'd love to see what Kiffin could do at Auburn.

We'd know he would be determined to top Bama and stick it to Saban..that's for darn sure. But the way AU is set up regarding having a coach who's a saint....i'd be beyond shocked if we even gave him a phone call. 

I’ve seen several names thrown out. Rather than reply to all of them, I’ll give a reply all here. The names thrown out prior to this point are either:

1. Too expensive given Malzahn’s buyout. (e.g., Stoops)

2. Unproven as head coaches, and likely to be a huge downgrade from Gus. (e.g., Aranda; Venables)

3. Guys who have looked mediocre up to this point in their current jobs. (e.g., Campbell)

4.  Not a fit for Auburn in terms of values, thus unlikely to be embraced by the fan base (e.g., Kiffin)

When things look bad, the grass always appears greener. But the reality is that he may be the best option given our financial limitations.

Archived