Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

Hugh Freeze was a cheater, in the worst possible way and masqueraded as a goody two shoes. Ole Miss is paying a heavy price for his poor choices and leadership. Why anyone would want him near Auburn football so soon befuddles me. He deserves a second chance but not so soon and not at Auburn....my opinion. Let him earn his way back.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Hugh Freeze was a cheater, in the worst possible way and masqueraded as a goody two shoes. Ole Miss is paying a heavy price for his poor choices and leadership. Why anyone would want him near Auburn football so soon befuddles me. He deserves a second chance but not so soon and not at Auburn....my opinion. Let him earn his way back.

When we have seen such vanilla offensive schemes for so long, even irrational choices start to seem rational. I’m not at that point yet. I know that point though. After maybe six weeks at bootcamp, the mean ugly cafeteria ladies were looking better and better every day. 

I was watching game day this morning and another name got brought up- Kyle Whittingham from Utah. He has done such a good job. Every year, competent, competitive, physical teams. I don't hear his name get brought up often, maybe it's a west cost v east coast thing.

I've had my fantasies of our next coach being anybody from Bob Stoops to Mike Campbell to Venables to Aranda or even Bill Clark and this is another one of those fantasies. While any of these coaches may be a good choice, I think we need to go a different direction and get an NFL coach. Someone that can sell his firsthand knowledge of the NFL to recruits and would give Auburn a leg up on the most recent hires of LSU, Tenn, Florida, and Georgia. They all hired college coaches with no NFL experience that I'm aware of and this could be an advantage for Auburn (think negative recruiting). We should also hire a professional talent evaluator and then get experienced coaches that our experienced head coach chooses. Id like to keep Garner, Porter, T Will and Steele if possible.

Im not an NFL fan anymore so my knowledge of any coaching successes and failures is lacking. Is their anyone in those ranks that would consider being a college head coach? Bill O'Brien? Maybe a Joe Whitt jr? 

Im sure this hair brained idea is full of holes but I'd like to gauge the boards thoughts on going this route and fine tuning this into something possible.

7 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

I've had my fantasies of our next coach being anybody from Bob Stoops to Mike Campbell to Venables to Aranda or even Bill Clark and this is another one of those fantasies. While any of these coaches may be a good choice, I think we need to go a different direction and get an NFL coach. Someone that can sell his firsthand knowledge of the NFL to recruits and would give Auburn a leg up on the most recent hires of LSU, Tenn, Florida, and Georgia. They all hired college coaches with no NFL experience that I'm aware of and this could be an advantage for Auburn (think negative recruiting). We should also hire a professional talent evaluator and then get experienced coaches that our experienced head coach chooses. Id like to keep Garner, Porter, T Will and Steele if possible.

Im not an NFL fan anymore so my knowledge of any coaching successes and failures is lacking. Is their anyone in those ranks that would consider being a college head coach? Bill O'Brien? Maybe a Joe Whitt jr? 

Im sure this hair brained idea is full of holes but I'd like to gauge the boards thoughts on going this route and fine tuning this into something possible.

I agree and have suggested this when Chiz left.  I'm not familiar with the NFL either but I am sure there are some great coaches, coordinators or even assistants that would be good candidates.

23 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Andy Reid.  He's already learned the importance of going 'hands off' on the offense and letting his OC do his thing.

Purdue/Brohm playing Mich St. on ESPN. Good opportunity to critique. 

Josh McDaniels seems like a good one. His dad was a legendary high school coach in Ohio. Hes been under the tutelage of some great coaches in the NFL. Hes been a head coach for a short while at Denver and is now the OC for the Patriots.

21 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

For those interested, I think “Coach Willie” from FSU, will be available at seasons end. 

Why? If Auburn replaced Gus and the new guy had a season that mirrors Tags first season would you want the cord pulled that quick? Serious question, just wanna see how we would react in the same situation. 

8 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Why? If Auburn replaced Gus and the new guy had a season that mirrors Tags first season would you want the cord pulled that quick? Serious question, just wanna see how we would react in the same situation. 

My reaction: have a little sense of humor. 😃 Coach Willie is getting his @ss handed to him at home, (48-0) and he is currently 4-4 in the ACC.

Who in Tallahassee thought it would be a good idea to replace Jimbo Fisher with Coach Willie?

Tough loss for our future Coach Jeff Brohm today.  STILL LOVE YOU THOUGH COACH!!!! YOU MUHHHHH BOY BLUE!!!!!! lol. You are always in danger of being out talented when you are at a perennial cellar dweller like Purdue. And it was one of those everything is going wrong not meant to be games. Just can't win games like that a lot of times. Especially at a school like Purdue. Also side note. Does every  field at these big 10 schools have grass that looks like cow pastures?! Northwestern and Michigan States grass is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick.

Matt Campbell with a nice win at home vs Texas Tech. 

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Tough loss for our future Coach Jeff Brohm today.  STILL LOVE YOU THOUGH COACH!!!! YOU MUHHHHH BOY BLUE!!!!!! lol. You are always in danger of being out talented when you are at a perennial cellar dweller like Purdue. And it was one of those everything is going wrong not meant to be games. Just can't win games like that a lot of times. Especially at a school like Purdue. Also side note. Does every  field at these big 10 schools have grass that looks like cow pastures?! Northwestern and Michigan States grass is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick.

Brohms aren't coming here and I hope they go some place we don't have to play them.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Great game to watch.  Campbell's squad looks solid and the O is fun to watch.

6 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Brohms aren't coming here and I hope they go some place we don't have to play them.

Great game to watch.  Campbell's squad looks solid and the O is fun to watch.

I would not be so sure about Brohms not coming here.  If Gus craps out and loses the rest of the games and struggles against Liberty, the ax could fall with a tremendous bang rolling Gus' head down I-85.  Iowa State's Campbell would be a nice choice as well.  I think we could get Aranda or Venables for 3.5 million. I like those 2 coordinators for the HC job. There are some excellent choices out there no doubt.

Ole Miss beat Texas Tech by 20. Keep reaching for the stars. 

David Beaty as Kansas just beat TCU.

....just kidding.... But KU did win, wow!

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yeah tough to watch. I think they had like 100 yard of offense at half. AU fans would run him out of the stadium for that. One can only imagine the negative response from this forum. Except for a couple pass plays over the middle to the tight end, the play calls were bad and unimaginative. They had like 60 yards rushing for the entire game!  It was bad . Oh well. 

5 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Yeah tough to watch. I think they had like 100 yard of offense at half. AU fans would run him out of the stadium for that. One can only imagine the negative response from this forum. Except for a couple pass plays over the middle to the tight end, the play calls were bad and unimaginative. They had like 60 yard rushing for the entire game!  It was bad . Oh well. 

I will use a tactic Jake Tyler Brigance used on a Time to Kill to free Carl Lee Hailey. Close your eyes. Imagine Gus vs Ohio State last week with the same team Jeff Brohm beat the crap out of them with. Yah I know it would be ugly for Gus. NOW IMAGINE BROHM WITH OUR UBER TALENTED TEAM!!!!!!!!! YES 78! I see it too. GASP!!! We would be undefeated and running up and down the field vs the teams we have played so far. See how easy that was? 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

I will use a tactic Jake Tyler Brigance used on a Time to Kill to free Carl Lee Hailey. Close your eyes. Imagine Gus vs Ohio State last week with the same team Jeff Brohm beat the crap out of them with. Yah I know it would be ugly for Gus. NOW IMAGINE BROHM WITH OUR UBER TALENTED TEAM!!!!!!!!! YES 78! I see it too. GASP!!! We would be undefeated and running up and down the field vs the teams we have played so far. See how easy that was? 

Ha! I love it!

5 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Ha! I love it!

thanks fam!!! you the brodie now for that compliment! lol.

WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Mike Leach has Wazzu at 7-1 baby!!!!! Big win on the road vs a ranked Stanford team. Remember he wanted the job in 08 when tubs got the boot? It would be awesome it would come full circle 10 years later and us hire a crazy but fun out of the box hire in Leach.

When Jeff Brohm has penn state talent and can’t move the ball against Illinois. Then I will be worried 

Archived