Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's hardly the only constant. Gus also sucks at building an offensive line. He also sucks at calling plays. And he also sucks at designing any semblance of a passing attack. These are all also constants that you've frequently disagreed with. 

Urban Meyer won national titles with Chris Leak, Tim Tebow and Cardale Jones. 

saban has put numerous QBs into the NFL but none of them have stuck.

You're not going to save Gus's job. 

My constant complaint is 4 excruciatingly ugly offensive performances per year causing L's and also, quite often, a couple of W's per year that foreshadow said losses.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

My constant complaint is 4 excruciatingly ugly offensive performances per year causing L's and also, quite often, a couple of W's per year that foreshadow said losses.

TULANE IS A PLAYOFF TEAM 72

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

TULANE IS A PLAYOFF TEAM 72

EVERY WEEK IS A PLAYOFF IN THE AAC!!!!!!

tenor.gif

5 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

I’m not sure that’s the only way to approach this. To my knowledge, saban hasn’t developed a single quarterback in his decades of coaching, but he has one of the best in the country and Heisman contender with Tua and had Jalen for 3 years as well and may win the Heisman. He hasn’t developed those guys, but he has hired great coaches, gotten out of their way, and let them do their job.

And he has had four offensive coordinators in that period of time too.    So which one?   and maybe they did a better selection /recruiting job than others considering that several other bama top QB picks over that same period of time did not pan out there or at their later schools either as far as I know.   They had more highly rated HS QBs that did not get "developed" than the two they have had lately. 

BUT....if offense if the concern, I can't see any reason why we would be looking for a new HC with a Defensive background.....and then hope he would be able to bring in a good OC?  

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

And he has had four offensive coordinators in that period of time too.    So which one?   and maybe they did a better selection /recruiting job than others considering that several other bama top QB picks over that same period of time did not pan out there or at their later schools either as far as I know.   They had more highly rated HS QBs that did not get "developed" than the two they have had lately. 

BUT....if offense if the concern, I can't see any reason why we would be looking for a new HC with a Defensive background.....and then hope he would be able to bring in a good OC?  

Maybe all 4 knew how to build an offense and develop the personnel needed

Just now, bigbird said:

Maybe all 4 know how to build an offense and develop the personnel needed

And everything that goes with that

get norvell from memphis, keeping dilly/caddy/garner/T-will/steele from current staff and then let him fill spots as fit.

idk, gonna be a cluster, but i doubt if gus survives now.  does AU folks really have the $$? 

Maybe at this point we just need to cut bait with everyone and bring in someone fresh to evaluate the whole program, from coaches to players etc. I’d love to keep this defensive staff but realistically I couldn’t see any of the offensive staff being retained

We need to find the right guy and trust him to bring in the guys he needs to be successful......and leave him the hell alone. This trying to figure out how we can retain Steele, RG, etc is silly (as much as I like the job those guys have done) and not how it works.....unless JABA

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

We need to find the right guy and trust him to bring in the guys he needs to be successful......and leave him the hell alone. This trying to figure out how we can retain Steele, RG, etc is silly (as much as I like the job those guys have done) and not how it works.....unless JABA

Well, there is one way. I've thought about it before, and @mcgufcm has mentioned it more recently. But a risk-free thing we could do is let Gus go right now (we've already wasted so much precious time...) and let Steele be interim head coach. I understand that a lot of people are gun shy on Steele but what is there to lose? It gives him a chance to try out for the gig, and if he's successful, great, there's your cohesion on defense. If he's not, then we just do a coaching search at the end of the season like we would anyway. 

And if anyone doesn't like the interim coach arrangement, I encourage them to pick the brains of some LSU and Clemson fans. 

8 minutes ago, fredst said:

i agree to some extent, esp the older guys.  but hard to find someone like T-will regardless if he's from AU or not, that is just icing on the cake.

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Well, there is one way. I've thought about it before, and @mcgufcm has mentioned it more recently. But a risk-free thing we could do is let Gus go right now (we've already wasted so much precious time...) and let Steele be interim head coach. I understand that a lot of people are gun shy on Steele but what is there to lose? It gives him a chance to try out for the gig, and if he's successful, great, there's your cohesion on defense. If he's not, then we just do a coaching search at the end of the season like we would anyway. 

And if anyone doesn't like the interim coach arrangement, I encourage them to pick the brains of some LSU and Clemson fans. 

I endorsed this scenario with my brothers after the offensive tour de force we saw Saturday

PJ Fleck would be a dream come true. Not only is he an obviously good coach, he's a cool guy that can hopefully be the equivalent of Bruce for the Football program. Here he is showing up to a hockey practice and playing goalie with the team https://kstp.com/sports/pj-fleck-gopher-football-coach-skates-with-gopher-hockey-team-in-goalie-tryout/5538005/

I am a Gus supporter. I am disappointed at his progression on O.  Long term I feel like he will be a great coach. He has a similar record as Saban at this point in his career.  However, his time at AU is coming to an end.  He has lost confidence of the fanbase and that is important at AU with us being a closer knit community.  With that said, I would like someone from the Bohl tree.  All of those guys are elite developers of talent.  

1 hour ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Idk how he would fit at auburn but P. J. Fleck can obviously build a football team. 

IMO, Fleck would be a homerun. 

17 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I think so too. Dude is personable and has now built nice programs at two lower tier programs. Arguably more proven than Gus and Chizik when they were hired. 

I don’t think it’s arguable at all. He is....

12 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I think so too. Dude is personable and has now built nice programs at two lower tier programs. Arguably more proven than Gus and Chizik when they were hired. 

Not that he can't be, but Minnesota isn't rebuilt just yet. They've played no one yet, their best wins are Nebraska and Maryland. If they go out and beat Penn State this weekend I'll certainly be willing to reconsider that stance.

My biggest concern is retaining the defensive staff. Even though we will hit a regression next year due to the talent vacuum, if we can keep fielding a strong defense, that would certainly help the offensive transition. But at the same time, the last thing I want to is handcuff a new head coach. Truly a frustrating situation we find ourselves in...

2 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

get norvell from memphis, keeping dilly/caddy/garner/T-will/steele from current staff and then let him fill spots as fit.

idk, gonna be a cluster, but i doubt if gus survives now.  does AU folks really have the $$? 

We have Woodson and Dilly already from Memphis but Only if he brings Ryan Silverfield with him.

Fun fact, Rhett Lashlee is currently the Offensive Coordinator of the 6th highest scoring offense in the country only behind:

Oklahoma, Alabama, Ohio State, LSU, and UCF

Archived