tigerbrotha12

Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

Coaches  

236 members have voted

  1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

    • Bob Stoops
      36
    • James Franklin
      32
    • Mario Cristobal
      8
    • Brett Venables
      26
    • Hugh Freeze
      9
    • Art Briles
      7
    • Kevin Steele
      8
    • Lane Kiffin
      35
    • Bill Clark
      36
    • Other (Specify in comments)
      38


Recommended Posts





I went with Franklin but as of this moment I’d be happy with Stoops, Clark, or possibly Kiffin. I’d even say vet Briles and see if that’s a possibility. May still be too soon for him and Freeze though both will be back at some point. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I selected other for 3 reasons:

1. Given the large contract, I think Gus will be given one more year.

2. All of these options either are terrible, are not a good fit for Auburn, or are probably too expensive given the buyout.

3. Given reasons 1-2, I don’t think he should be fired unless we completely lose out (including liberty). We may see corrections in the off-season that remedy some of the problems from this year. And, even if we don’t, I think we are better off waiting another year so that Gus’s buyout is lower (which will make our budget for a new coach higher).

Edited by AUFriction
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had Kiffin, Neal Brown or Dave Aranda. Bird tossed Heupel's name out and he sounds impressive.
I tried to keep it realistic, hence no Franklin,etc on my list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I selected other for 3 reasons:

1. Given the large contract, I think Gus will be given one more year.

2. All of these options either are terrible, are not a good fit for Auburn, or are probably too expensive given the buyout.

3. Given reasons 1-2, I don’t think he should be fired unless we completely lose out (including liberty). We may see corrections in the off-season that remedy some of the problems from this year. And, even if we don’t, I think we are better off waiting another year so that Gus’s buyout is lower (which will make our budget for a new coach higher).

How are you related to Double Bubble? Marriage? Blood?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, selias said:

How are you related to Double Bubble? Marriage? Blood?

Not at all. I’ve actually been one of his biggest critics, and I blame him for a lot of the problems Chizik had his last year. I also don’t really think he is the right guy. I just think it is strategically a bad move to fire him now. If we hadn’t given him such a big salary at the end of last year, I’d probably be more inclined to be on the fire him bandwagon. As it stands, I don’t think we will have enough financially to dump him and his staff while also hiring a proven winner that will succeed at Auburn. So if we dump him this year, I think it needs to be obvious that he’s completely lost the team, which i don’t think he has as of this point.

Edited by AUFriction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To answer the OP...

A: An actual college head coach.

  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of the above list, Venables has the pedigree and background to be the next big time coordinator that becomes a good HC. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We needed a proven winner to come in and turn the basketball program around. Now we were very lucky that because of the unique situation Bruce was in, he landed here. Otherwise we would never had gotten him. It’s time to get a proven winner to lead the football program. If a change is made for heavens sake let’s do it right. No more up and comers. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tony87 said:

Out of the above list, Venables has the pedigree and background to be the next big time coordinator that becomes a good HC. 

I feel like he has to have some underneath skeletons in his closet. He has not been hired yet as a HC and it just doesn’t make sense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted Clark but would take any of those people mentioned in the poll. Hell, I would take @bigbird. I'm sure we can get him for way less than $7 million a year and he knows what's wrong with the offense and would be smart enough to not only hire the right people but get out of their way to let them do their job. Bigbird for Head Coach? Anyone else with me? 😉

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

We needed a proven winner to come in and turn the basketball program around. Now we were very lucky that because of the unique situation Bruce was in, he landed here. Otherwise we would never had gotten him. It’s time to get a proven winner to lead the football program. If a change is made for heavens sake let’s do it right. No more up and comers. 

I agree, plan your work and work your plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of these threads has a list of some 15-20 coaches.  I believe, @corchjay or @bigbird came up with that and it was a very solid list.  Unfortunately, I don't remember which thread... someone else might remember?

I've stated more than once, I like the fight and attitude of Derek Mason at Vandy....they even put up solid fights against ND a couple weeks ago and UF today before things sorta derailed.  Much like Franklin stepping up to PSU, I wouldn't mind seeing what Mason could do with Auburn talent vs Vandy "talent".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

Brian Kelly

NO!!  Keep what we have if that is our only option. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now