Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

I suppose you all are talking about bringing someone in for OC. I don't think any of that will make a difference, unless you're saying would completely turn it over to the new OC, (which i haven't seen anything that makes me think that will happen) we need Gus gone. JMHO

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Besides Greene, everyone else is in a pretty tenuous seat.  I'm not sure they would want to risk any more.  As far as baby Briles wanting it?  I think he could be persuaded by Gus and Art.

I rather just hire Baby Briles as Head Coach and call it a day than endure another season of this offense! lol. Bo Nix in a Kendal Briles offense?! YES PLEASE! I want some of that.

25 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He should've been hired...JJ had a chance to allow a program defining hire and choked.  Ever wonder why Stidham signed with us? He was told KB was going to be his OC again.   When JJ balked, Gus had to fly to Waco and have a sit down with JS. Art and KB were there to help smooth things over with JS.

That's unfortunate. I knew why Stidham came. And I assumed Kam was the same. I didn't know the rest of the details of why it fell  through.My what could have been. 

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I would not wish being shackled and handcuffed on Baby Briles and have it derail his career like that. Because it absolutely would if he were to work under Gus. Defensive Coordinator under Gus? GREAT! Do your thing. DO whatever you want. Gus is hands off. Offensive side of the ball? yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh. Enough said.

KB is one I think that would be able to push back against Gus' interference for a couple reasons. First, Kendall has the past success to prove his way right. Secondly, Gus has the upmost respect for Art and would be less inclined to interfere.

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I rather just hire Baby Briles as Head Coach and call it a day than endure another season of this offense! lol. Bo Nix in a Kendal Briles offense?! YES PLEASE! I want some of that.

It would be scary good

50 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He should've been hired...JJ had a chance to allow a program defining hire and choked.  Ever wonder why Stidham signed with us? He was told KB was going to be his OC again.   When JJ balked, Gus had to fly to Waco and have a sit down with JS. Art and KB were there to help smooth things over with JS.

Every time I hear stuff like this, I'm like:

Image result for seinfeld newman meme

32 minutes ago, bigbird said:

KB is one I think that would be able to push back against Gus' interference for a couple reasons. First, Kendall has the past success to prove his way right. Secondly, Gus has the upmost respect for Art and would be less inclined to interfere.

Yes I was thinking the same thing. From what I understood he respects and  looks up to CAB enough I would only assume it would be different. 

47 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yes please and can KB bring Randy Clements with him😬

I hear Les Miles and Steve Spurrier aren’t doing anything... I kid I kid 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Plus, I would expect if KB were to agree to come be Auburn's OC, it would probably be after a conversation that went something like....

KB: "If I agree, I have TOTAL control.  None of this 'your run game, my pass game'...which suspiciously still looks like YOUR pass game BTW..."

Gus: "Agree."

KB: "That means I bring in offensive coaches I want.  I'm not hancuffed to your 'yes men' too."

Gus: ".........."

KB: "I mean it.  It's in my contract too."

Gus (begrudgingly): "Okay.  I guess so.... Agree."

KB: "War Eagle!"

Us fans: "Yay!!!!"

Gus: 😣🙄😥

Honestly , I would fear KB would be ruined by his head coach. I wanted KB from the get go. I am sure things happened underneath the scene but I don’t want anymore Gus hangovers. 

5 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

I'm going to strongly object to the bolded sentence.  What Bruce Pearl did was make what would have amounted to minor infractions into majors ones by lying about them.  The underlying rules that were broken were minor (Like the cookout at his house) I just don't see including Pearl here as appropriate.  Not really similar.

Okay well in the grand scheme of things, Carroll oversaw Reggie Bush getting some cash and a car (which Carroll still ADAMANTLY denies involvement in), which isn't a criminal scandal like what's happened at Ohio State or Baylor or Penn State. None of it is a crime. But it is still ethically sketchy and dishonest, so it's not a good look either. That is why it's similar to Pearl and Chip Kelly. I will say that Carroll's run at USC involved way more serious NCAA violations. 

The more I see Mike Gundy, the more I absolutely love the guy. I think he would be perfect at Auburn. He loves his players. He thrives as a second fiddle in his own state. He wins huge games. He has 9+ wins in 8 of last 10 seasons. Throw the bank at the guy. He and that offense would be fun for sure. And he has a Pat Dye like fighter's attitude that would fit in well with our program. 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Let me ask you this then. Say these are the only 2 options. Would you rather KB be our Head Coach OR Gus still be our Head Coach but KB be our OC?

26 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

The more I see Mike Gundy, the more I absolutely love the guy. I think he would be perfect at Auburn. He loves his players. He thrives as a second fiddle in his own state. He wins huge games. He has 9+ wins in 8 of last 10 seasons. Throw the bank at the guy. He and that offense would be fun for sure. And he has a Pat Dye like fighter's attitude that would fit in well with our program. 

I'm not quite there yet, but I hear what you're saying.  His post game pressed after beating Texas was very impressive and he never fails to support his players 100% when the situation calls for it.  

18 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Let me ask you this then. Say these are the only 2 options. Would you rather KB be our Head Coach OR Gus still be our Head Coach but KB be our OC?

KB right now seems like Gus when Chizik hired him.  He has had 4 years as an OC and worked under Art, Lane, and Major. That's not the strongest tree. Of those two options,  I'd bring him in as OC and let him continue to build his arsenal and be groomed a little more.  

If we stick with Gus, I'd prefer KB Branch out and develop even further so he is ready to slide in when Gus does leave. 😁

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If we stick with Gus, I'd prefer KB Branch out and develop even further so he is ready to slide in when Gus does leave. 😁

This.

If he's Gus' OC, two possibilities.

1) He's successful and Gus stays.

2) Gus continues his ways and KB's career is derailed.

15 hours ago, bigbird said:

KB right now seems like Gus when Chizik hired him.  He has had 4 years as an OC and worked under Art, Lane, and Major. That's not the strongest tree. Of those two options,  I'd bring him in as OC and let him continue to build his arsenal and be groomed a little more.  

what are the chances that Gus parts ways with Chip after this season?

6 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

what are the chances that Gus parts ways with Chip after this season?

Probably more likely the other way around 

Just now, bigbird said:

99.99999%

that is a low odd no doubt! lol  I do think either Chip or Gus or both will be gone at season's end.  I am gearing up to play Noah tonight for our churches' trunk or treat tonight! I will post pics! will be giving out skittles!

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

that is a low odd no doubt! lol  I do think either Chip or Gus or both will be gone at season's end.  I am gearing up to play Noah tonight for our churches' trunk or treat tonight! I will post pics! will be giving out skittles!

Have fun!!

Archived