Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

13 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I’m curious just how good Derek Mason(Vandy) could be with the right group? I love his personality, but don’t know how good of a coach he is. 

Vandy did, after all, humiliate UTk tonight(3 straight over UTk). Something we are incapable of doing. 

I've been interested in Mason for a couple years now.  He's kinda a bully to opposing teams as well....at Vandy.

Imagine with Auburn's resources & backing.  I'd be very happy with a CDM hire.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

If true, how much would it take to lure him to Auburn.

After all, CPD was a UGA grad and spent several years under Bahr, but fully embraced being an Auburn man.

This is a heartening article if on the up & up...

Is Dabo really worth 100 million? Because that's what it would cost Auburn to hire him IF (and a big IF) he were even willing to leave the juggernaut he's built at Clemson. He's doing more there at Clemson than Tommy Bowden ever could.

10 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Is Dabo really worth 100 million? Because that's what it would cost Auburn to hire him IF (and a big IF) he were even willing to leave the juggernaut he's built at Clemson. He's doing more there at Clemson than Tommy Bowden ever could.

The answer is no. He’s not worth it and if he were smart he’d stay there and die a legend. Instead of going to the turds and being remembered as a villain.

He’ll jump ship to Bama as soon as Saban retires though and they’ll pay him more than they’d pay God in a desperate attempt to not fall back to normal levels of success.

Meanwhile we’ll go full Auburn and hire someone like Thomas Rush Propst.

16 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

I agree.  Granted the ACC isn't the SEC (WEST) but I feel like he's a man who knows how to truly build a program, recruit elite players for needs and even make a tough decision to better the team (benching KB).  Gus would NEVER have done that.

The fantasy utopian answer is, of course he ain't worth $100M.  Armed forces, Policemen & Firemen/EMT's are worth FAR FAR FAR more.  But big time athletics is fantasy world where NONE of them live in reality....but it IS the "real world" such as it is.

If he can do at Auburn, what he's done at Clemson, then Heck Yes he's worth $100M.  And if AU can keep him when Saban retires, he'll be worth even more.

Note: Keep in mind I'm basing this on his interview where he basically trashed bammer in a back handed way.

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

So anyways. Bets on when he gets fired? Obviously not this year, I'm hoping next year, but thinking unfortunately 2020.

I bet it is after the 2019 season. Then he is hired by Arkansas being $26 million richer.

15 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

I bet it is after the 2019 season. Then he is hired by Arkansas being $26 million richer.

Why would Arkansas hire him?  They have a much better coach than Gus. 

21 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Why would Arkansas hire him?  They have a much better coach than Gus. 

2-10?  Probably will give their HC one more year, then pick up Gus from AU with his bags of $$.

1 hour ago, PUB78 said:

2-10?  Probably will give their HC one more year, then pick up Gus from AU with his bags of $$.

Morris only had 1-1/2 months to recruit a totally different style of  offensive players.  His recruiting is going pretty well this year.  It will take a good class this year and next to run his offense effectively.  Watch for it to happen and then we have another strong West team. 

10 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Morris only had 1-1/2 months to recruit a totally different style of  offensive players.  His recruiting is going pretty well this year.  It will take a good class this year and next to run his offense effectively.  Watch for it to happen and then we have another strong West team. 

You heard it here first....

Arky beats Auburn in 2019.

20 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Think he’d leave? 

Why would he leave a historically Top 5 program that dominates it's conference for AU and the headaches that come with being the coach here?

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Why would he leave a historically Top 5 program that dominates it's conference for AU and the headaches that come with being the coach here?

Riley is going to the Browns. Bank on it.

8 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Riley is going to the Browns. Bank on it.

Word is the Browns want Iowa State's Matt Campbell.  His style fits the NFL better.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/browns-likely-to-reach-out-to-iowa-states-matt-campbell-whos-very-much-on-nfl-teams-radar/

5 hours ago, Zeek said:

The answer is no. He’s not worth it and if he were smart he’d stay there and die a legend. Instead of going to the turds and being remembered as a villain.

He’ll jump ship to Bama as soon as Saban retires though and they’ll pay him more than they’d pay God in a desperate attempt to not fall back to normal levels of success.

Meanwhile we’ll go full Auburn and hire someone like Thomas Rush Propst.

ZomboMeme 25112018163153.jpg

2 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Think he’d leave? 

If he left Oklahoma, it would be for the NFL. Supposedly the pros love him and his offense.

Let's eliminate the head coaches we know we're not getting (crossed out) and look at the ones we could possibly snag (bolded and underlined)

Clemson - Dabo Swinney

Alabama - Nick Saban

Notre Dame - Brian Kelly

Ohio State - Urban Meyer

Oklahoma - Lincoln Riley

Georgia - Kirby Smart

Michigan - Jim Harbaugh

Central Florida - Josh Huepel

Washington State - Mike Leach

Washington - Chris Peterson

Penn State - James Franklin

Boise State - Bryan Harsin

Utah - Kyle Whittingham

Fresno State - Jeff Tedford

Texas - Tom Herman

LSU - Ed Orgeron

Utah State - Matt Wells

West Virginia - Dana Holgorsen

Kentucky - Mark Stoops

Mississippi State - Joe Moorhead

Florida - Dan Mullen

Northwestern - Pat Fitzgerald

Syracuse - Dino Babers

NCST - Dave Doeren

Missouri - Barry Odom

Iowa - Kirk Ferentz

Appalachian State - Scott Satterfield

Stanford - David Shaw

Texas A&M - Jimbo

Cincinnati - Luke Fickell

Buffalo - Lance Leipold

Iowa State - Matthew Campbell

Army - Jeff Monken

Oregon - Mario Cristobal

Miami - Mark Richt

California - Justin Wilcox

Marshall - Doc Holliday

Michigan State - Mark Dantonio

UAB - Bill Clark

North Texas - Seth Littrell

Memphis - Mike Norvell

Wisconsin - Paul Chryst

Pitt - Pat Narduzzi

South Carolina - Will Muschamp

Troy - Neal Brown

Middle Tennessee - Rick Stockstill

Boston College - Steve Addazio 

Arizona State - Herm Edwards

Ohio - Frank Solich

That's from the "top 50" teams right now. The following teams have already made coaching changes:

• Bowling Green fired Mike Jinks but have already replaced him with Carl Pelini so they are set for the coaching carousel.
  • Charlotte has let Brad Lambert go and have yet to determine who their next head coach will be. Unlikely they are looking at anyone that would conflict with someone we would want. Saw some mumblings about Steele leaving for Charlotte but I don't see any chatter on their end about Steele.
  • Colorado has fired and replaced Mike MacIntyre with Kurt Roper.
  • Kansas fired David Beatty in favor of Les Miles. Might be the best move by any program we see throughout this process.
  • Louisville Bobby Petrino is out and Lorenzo Ward is currently the replacement.
  • Maryland DJ Durkin is out and Matt Canada has a rather unenviable position
  • Massachusetts Mark Whipple is out and they haven't yet found a replacement. Unlikely UMass competes with us for a coach.
  • Texas State Everett Withers is out and Chris Woods is in.

December 20th we should release Gus. Get the early signing of the bulk of our recruits and then cut the clown bus loose to carine down a cliff. I'm partial towards the following head coaches (though some assistants may be better options): Dino Babers, Scott Satterfield, Matt Campbell, Bill Clark, Neal Brown.

10 minutes ago, Ber798297 said:

I know it’s just him venting and it’s a long shot but....

http://footballscoop.com/news/dabo-12-0-aint-good-enough-time-seek-places/

I love it, but, why would Dabo leave Clemson just to deal with an even more volatile fanbase?

(Yes, I don't believe we are any better or worse than the average fanbase, but national perception is not in our favor)

6 minutes ago, LeonardAU said:

I would absolutely love him at AU.  

I'd love him at like a Mizzou or South Carolina. Hand out a few upsets from time to time, wouldn't have to play hi his team but once every 6 years, and get to enjoy his press conferences on the weekly. But I'm like many others, he's a seasoned D1 coach now and I'm not convinced he can win the games that matter.

That said, if Auburn brought the ol Pirate aboard, I wouldn't hate it either.

If Gus gets canned today

Bill Clark?  Not 100% proven but no denying what he’s been able to do at UAB despite the egg he laid against MTSU Saturday.  Probably could be had for cheap.  May be harder than you think to pull away from UAB.

Dino - return the fast to Auburn’s offense.  I’d have to look at other places he’s been to get a real feel for him.  Syracuse traditionally isn’t an easy place to win.

Chad Morris.  Basically Gus 2.0 but may not be as hard headed.  He’s 2 years away at Arky and Auburn wouldn’t have to transition much from what they have now.  Add Kelly Bryant to the mix and you could have a winner year 1.

Id have to look more in-depth on some already mentioned but I wouldn’t want Leach or Stoops.  Leach has these runs but always comes up short.  I don’t buy Stoops is coming back ala Urban Meyer.  I think his fire is out.

On 11/25/2018 at 10:30 AM, JBiGGiE said:

I think 8 straight 10 win seasons, including 4 straight of 12 or more, would definitely be worth it. I don’t think college coaches deserve the salary they get as a whole, but in the times we’re in, with how college head coaches are valued, I think he’s up there in terms of being paid like a top of the line coach.

Archived