Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

13 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

I love it, but, why would Dabo leave Clemson just to deal with an even more volatile fanbase?

(Yes, I don't believe we are any better or worse than the average fanbase, but national perception is not in our favor)

It's the ultimate personal challenge... to Saban personally to best that record anti-Saban style in his biggest rival's territory, for one. Auburn schools for anyone with kids will be a huge draw,  for two.  Auburn's culture of faith is a Dabo fit, for three. Plenty of coaches have eaten previous noncomplimentary words about places they ended up. This article helps explain his sense of the cultural difference he sees between Clemson and UA. It's opinion. But Dabo is quoted, too. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/rubbingtherock.com/2018/05/14/clemson-football-dabo-swinney-never-fit-alabama

#holdingontohope

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, and I don't think we are "volatile" without reason...righteous indignation is more like it. If we saw consistent improvement over time, our new coach would have plenty of grace time to become competitive. 

On 11/24/2018 at 8:41 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

I’m curious just how good Derek Mason(Vandy) could be with the right group? I love his personality, but don’t know how good of a coach he is. 

Vandy did, after all, humiliate UTk tonight(3 straight over UTk). Something we are incapable of doing. 

would hiring someone like mason just give our power brokers leverage to  interfere tho? this is why we need a really big time name so hopefully he will be left alone to do his magic. i mean we just gave gus a huge raise that is biting us in the behind right now.

Is hiring Bill Clark the actual right move in all this? It's almost like promoting a highly touted minor league prospect to the majors. If he succeeds, jackpot! If not, we aren't out much money. 

Clark doesn't have to build the program. The pieces are already there. I doubt he wrecks our program either. Given the huge money we are gonna spend to make Gus go away, is Clark the most logical choice?

I think he has HUGE upside, by the way. Could be the next great college coach.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Heuple

Aranda

Beamer

This still your wish list or from some rumblings?

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Wish

Gotcha.  Just seemed out of the blue (not sure if you were responding to somebody) so wanted to be sure.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Is hiring Bill Clark the actual right move in all this? It's almost like promoting a highly touted minor league prospect to the majors. If he succeeds, jackpot! If not, we aren't out much money. 

Clark doesn't have to build the program. The pieces are already there. I doubt he wrecks our program either. Given the huge money we are gonna spend to make Gus go away, is Clark the most logical choice?

I think he has HUGE upside, by the way. Could be the next great college coach.

The only obvious downside is that recruiting could suffer from the fact that he's not a well known name.

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

The only obvious downside is that recruiting could suffer from the fact that he's not a well known name.

He certainly has connections into high school coaches in Alabama. You are right he would not have the name recognition needed to recruit in GA, TN, MS, and FL.

I have a hunch successful Group of 5 and FCS coaches probably have a special knack recruiting the second tier athletes. They have to work the HS coaches to find the prospects who are being overlooked. My guess is if they are appreciated and liked, if they get to the big leagues, those HS coaches are probably their allies.

20 hours ago, meh130 said:

He certainly has connections into high school coaches in Alabama. You are right he would not have the name recognition needed to recruit in GA, TN, MS, and FL.

I have a hunch successful Group of 5 and FCS coaches probably have a special knack recruiting the second tier athletes. They have to work the HS coaches to find the prospects who are being overlooked. My guess is if they are appreciated and liked, if they get to the big leagues, those HS coaches are probably their allies.

If you can convince a kid to take a scholarship to a school that won't even field a team your freshman year and then dive head first back into the C-USA competition. I would have to believe he can convince someone to come to Auburn. I think my only reservation isn't whether he could be successful at the Power 5 level, but whether he can keep pace with Georgia, Bama, TAMU, and Florida... Let alone the rest of the SEC. I dunno...

On 11/27/2018 at 12:37 PM, bigbird said:

Wish

Like, could we realistically get Aranda next year? I'll take him, even if Venables would be my first choice for a DC hire--wish someone would actually come out and say what his "skeletons" are. 🙄

3 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

If you can convince a kid to take a scholarship to a school that won't even field a team your freshman year and then dive head first back into the C-USA competition. I would have to believe he can convince someone to come to Auburn. I think my only reservation isn't whether he could be successful at the Power 5 level, but whether he can keep pace with Georgia, Bama, TAMU, and Florida... Let alone the rest of the SEC. I dunno...

I think that's the point....Clark has likely never had to recruit against any SEC schools.... much easier to recruit the 2* and 3* kids where there are hundreds of them out there looking for a scholly. ….and he can keep eyes on bama, AU, LSU and regional big boys to catch guys who can't quite make it at the SEC level. 

As I noted earlier, the idea of hiring Clark kind of reminds me of young Bowden....pretty decent coach but could not recruit ..even with the Bowden name.    Be nice to have  a  coach with a bit more name recognition and a track record of some kind ….and more than just 50 games including at the FCS level.  

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

Like, could we realistically get Aranda next year? I'll take him, even if Venables would be my first choice for a DC hire--wish someone would actually come out and say what his "skeletons" are. 🙄

I think Aranda resigned in with LSU thinking that O would flop and he would slide over to take the HC job.  Now that O has had some success and isn't on the hit seat, I would think Aranda would be very receptive to a HC job

I'd like to see a decent passing attack without resorting to the later version of the Terry Bowden years. We evolved from a balanced attack, to pass heavy attack that couldn't run to save our lives, then finally into a team that could do neither. 

Waiting on Gus to get canned lol.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Waiting on Gus to get canned lol.

Not going to Louisville, anyway.   But I think we could probably get him with a $5M/ contract to weasel out of later... 

3 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Not going to Louisville, anyway.   But I think we could probably get him with a $5M/ contract to weasel out of later... 

Serious question. What would you think of Brohm to AU? I think he is the kind of kick in the ass this program needs. He is not a nice guy like chiz and gus were. I love his fiery demeanor.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Serious question. What would you think of Brohm to AU? I think he is the kind of kick in the ass this program needs. He is not a nice guy like chiz and gus were. I love his fiery demeanor.

I love his intensity and no nonsense attitude.  He told Louisville what he wanted.  They low-balled him, so he gave them the finger and walked out.  All in one day.

He would be a refreshing change from 'feelings football'.  

Just now, AURealist said:

I love his intensity and no nonsense attitude.  He told Louisville what he wanted.  They low-balled him, so he gave them the finger and walked out.  All in one day.

He would be a refreshing change from 'feelings football'.  

LOVE IT!

42 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:
47 minutes ago, AURealist said:

I'm fine with it.  Louisville is probably as big, or bigger, mess as Auburn....they had Petrino after all.

As long as AU doesn't give him some stupid buyout, he'd probably be a "bargain" relatively speaking and worth the risk.

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I'm fine with it.  Louisville is probably as big, or bigger, mess as Auburn....they had Petrino after all.

As long as AU doesn't give him some stupid buyout, he'd probably be a "bargain" relatively speaking and worth the risk.

O WE HAVE SO MUCH more talent than Ville. Behind the scenes? Touche. But on the field? Brohm is exactly the coach Bo Nix needs to reach his full potential.

Just now, AUsince72 said:

To update the story, Purdue is said to have ponied up as much as $6M/yr to keep him on.  I guess they've developed a taste for not dreading football season...

Louisville is an easy win for someone who is interested in money with few expectations.  Auburn is a place for someone with the ego and an attitude that wants the job in the face of extremely high expectations. 

You'll make an insane amount of money at both places. The kind of $$$ most of the rest of us wish we had the opportunity to turn down.

Archived