Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

Most of the names on lists like these are pure fantasy. It's a game we love to play. But it's just fantasy.

Franklin is not leaving Penn State. Patterson and Peterson and Shaw are not leaving. Bob Stoops is not coming out of retirement. Swinney is not going anywhere anytime soon. If I remember correctly, some SEC team tried to hire Freeze as an analyst and the SEC home office said no way. He's still off limits.

Venables has the cred, but he has not been eager to jump to a head coaching job. Plus, he has one kid already enrolled at Clemson and another with an offer from Clemson.

Then you've got the coaches from the minor league. Good coaches, perhaps, but at a whole different level. And how do high school kids view these guys. Would your hot shot 4 or 5 star say breathlessly "I just gotta play for Bill Clark"?

It's always fun to speculate, but I think we are stuck with Malzahn for another year at least, and longer than that if he can squeeze out 8-4 seasons.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Matt Campbell.  His offense is fun to watch.  Solid defense.  His players seem to be enjoying the game.  

He's really done more with less this year..   

1 hour ago, AURealist said:

I like Matt Campbell.  His offense is fun to watch.  Solid defense.  His players seem to be enjoying the game.  

He's really done more with less this year..   

I am pretty sure Campbell has a $10 millon buyout we would have to pay.  Not happening in our situation.

5 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

I am pretty sure Campbell has a $10 millon buyout we would have to pay.  Not happening in our situation.

I'm pretty sure removing Gus isn't realistically happening any time soon, so the buyout will be less when the time comes.

3 hours ago, Mittens said:

Eh.  Colorado has had one winning season out of the last five.  They did go bowling that season but got pounded by 30 points.  They are 5-0 this season...the combined record of their five opponents is 12-25, though.  Not saying he isn't the Man for the job...his resume of success doesn't put him above other names I've seen mentioned.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Think you may not realize the dumpster fire he inherited out there and thr lack of great recruits in that area.  Plus, he won at San Jose State.  I love the guy.

2 hours ago, AURealist said:

I'm pretty sure removing Gus isn't realistically happening any time soon, so the buyout will be less when the time comes.

A few connected folks on this site have been informed it's not out of the question for it to happen this year.

Historically, they may be right.  Our last five coaches have gone after bad seasons.  The big money donors don't look kindly on losing football at AU.  Go 5-7 this season and he may very well be out.

Barfield - 1980 (5-6)

Dye - 1992 (5-5-1, 5-6 previous year)

Bowden - 1998 (1-5, fired during season)

Tubs - 2008 (5-7)

Chizik - 2012 (3-8)

Dino Babers would be 58 years old going into next season. Didn't realize that he was already kind of at the twilight of his career as he looks much younger. Don't think that'd rule him our or anything but it's worth considering. 

Folks wanting a proven winner but most of the guys mentioned fall short of that definition.    The idea that if a guy can win 8 or 9 games at some lesser school does not mean he would do better at AU …..JMO.    For example...so......the Iowa State coach (3-3) and 49-32 is somehow going to become a 10 win coach at AU?    I don't see the logic in that..:dunno:    

Despite his faults, Gus has been a pretty good recruiter, better than his predecessors.....and there is zero assurance that the next guy will be as good or better....and able to recruit against bama and Uga in the territory we share.  

Clark is about the only one that I would roll the dice on.....otherwise, just about every  HC name mentioned who is even remotely a viable candidate is probably Gus 2.0 and would require $4 M+ and multi-year deal. . 

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Folks wanting a proven winner but most of the guys mentioned fall short of that definition.    The idea that if a guy can win 8 or 9 games at some lesser school does not mean he would do better at AU …..JMO.    For example...so......the Iowa State coach (3-3) and 49-32 is somehow going to become a 10 win coach at AU?    I don't see the logic in that..:dunno:    

Despite his faults, Gus has been a pretty good recruiter, better than his predecessors.....and there is zero assurance that the next guy will be as good or better....and able to recruit against bama and Uga in the territory we share.  

Clark is about the only one that I would roll the dice on.....otherwise, just about every  HC name mentioned who is even remotely a viable candidate is probably Gus 2.0 and would require $4 M+ and multi-year deal. . 

You know he just lead his team to victory against #6 West Virginia , correct? Last year, he was able to lead Iowa State to victory against OU. Keyword here IOWA STATE. Do I think he could win 10 games at AU? Iono. Do I think he could lead a team full of top-tier talent to victory against the likes of Miss State and Tennessee? Absolutely! And no I am not saying hire him. I am saying he has proven he could do more with less though.

At this point, personally I don't need a "proven winner".  I'd be very happy to see the Troy, UAB, J'ville State, Colorado or Iowa State coaches get a shot.

Gus has certainly "proven" what he is and isn't.  It's not "consistent winner". ... it's not even "consistent"... but he is proven "stubborn" and "in over his head".

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

You know he just lead his team to victory against #6 West Virginia , correct? Last year, he was able to lead Iowa State to victory against OU. Keyword here IOWA STATE. Do I think he could win 10 games at AU? Iono. Do I think he could lead a team full of top-tier talent to victory against the likes of Miss State and Tennessee? Absolutely! And no I am not saying hire him. I am saying he has proven he could do more with less though.

64 believes Gus is Jesus so this is just a waste of time arguing with him at this point. He never ever wants to gamble on another coach ever. He is one of those happy with 8 wins and beating the bams every 3 or 4 years.

24 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

64 believes Gus is Jesus so this is just a waste of time arguing with him at this point. He never ever wants to gamble on another coach ever. He is one of those happy with 8 wins and beating the bams every 3 or 4 years.

Not so....but the history of schools dumping one mediocre coach for some guy who won in the MAC or wherever is too much to ignore.    

I don't have an investment in Gus and if someone wants to pay that $32M...have at it....but I have no confidence that any of the people named above will do any better.....but it is not my money so those who have strong feelings on the issue should put their money up.   And beating an occasional higher rated team?   happens every weekend but again,  give me some examples of coaches who are middle of the road at a school and somehow manage to move to a power conference and become a factor.  Apparently nobody learning much in recent years from watching UT, Florida, TAMU, USCw,  and the list goes on.  

Guys like Sexton just love folks from schools like us and most other SEC schools too I guess........sucker bait for the latest "hot coaching candidate"...and eager to pony up big bucks for a new coach.  Wonder if the people at Nebraska are thinking about their decision?  … Frost moving from $1.7 to $5M in one jump....did they really need a 7 year  $35M contract to get him?  

And what are we honestly willing to pay to get our next coach ?  That is a real and not inconsequential question. 

Dino Baber fans, sell me on him. I don't know much about him other than Syracuse had a big win or 2 last year. 

1 hour ago, OnthePlains said:

In fairness Gus has proven he's not an 8-4 coach. This will be twice in 6 years at AU he won't win that many.

53 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not so....but the history of schools dumping one mediocre coach for some guy who won in the MAC or wherever is too much to ignore.    

I don't have an investment in Gus and if someone wants to pay that $32M...have at it....but I have no confidence that any of the people named above will do any better.....but it is not my money so those who have strong feelings on the issue should put their money up.   And beating an occasional higher rated team?   happens every weekend but again,  give me some examples of coaches who are middle of the road at a school and somehow manage to move to a power conference and become a factor.  Apparently nobody learning much in recent years from watching UT, Florida, TAMU, USCw,  and the list goes on.  

Guys like Sexton just love folks from schools like us and most other SEC schools too I guess........sucker bait for the latest "hot coaching candidate"...and eager to pony up big bucks for a new coach.  Wonder if the people at Nebraska are thinking about their decision?  … Frost moving from $1.7 to $5M in one jump....did they really need a 7 year  $35M contract to get him?  

And what are we honestly willing to pay to get our next coach ?  That is a real and not inconsequential question. 

Sigh.....

2 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Sigh.....

Sorry that real world and serious questions bother you.....firing a coach has ramifications that should at least by considered...JMO 

Chiz was actually 3-9, 0-8 in SEC the final year, but he also went 4-12 against Bama, UGA, LSU and Arkansas, with all 4 wins coming in 2010 and most of the L's were blowouts. 

Not to mention he had the serious off-the-field issues to boot.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Sorry that real world and serious questions bother you.....firing a coach has ramifications that should at least by considered...JMO 

Ok bro. I’m a hard workin father of three who lives in the real world and who by the way isn’t saying we should fire the loser right now...So I have zero problem with real world questions if you call firing a football coach that. Real world questions are those posed to the people in north Florida right now but I digress...The sigh is the realization and capitulation of my trying to argue this ridiculous point with you any further. We all see the writing on the wall whether it’s this year or next year or two years from now it’s only a matter of time. Turn out the lights the party was over in 2013....

14 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Sigh.....

It's 64. He's still debating the pros and cons of the horseless carriage. After all, he invested heavily in stables and pasture space.

"Proven winner" doesn't mean the same to everyone.  To me, it doesn't mean the coach must've won X games per year.  It's just as impressive to me if a coach goes to a perennial loser and makes them relevant, not necessarily on the national scene, but relevant to the typical performance of the school.  These guys tend to have the intangible "it" factor, do more with less talent, and single-handedly change the "culture" of a perennial loser.  They also tend to have a chip on their shoulder.  That said, I don't have a name in mind of someone who might possess these qualities, and the names that do fit these qualities definitely won't be shiny, sparkly names and might even get some laughs at first around water coolers on Mondays.  I don't subscribe to the Auburn HAS to settle for unproven/unknown coaches theory, so don't get me wrong.  I just like watching these type of guys actually BUILD programs and not rely on the once a decade star player to have a "shooting star" season and then regress to the mean. 

2 hours ago, selias said:

I know people have been dancing around this topic with excuses for a while, but it’s not even just scheme at this point. Guys are just getting physically beaten one on one. JJennings is talented but he isn’t THAT good. If guys getting balls thrown over their heads vs Arky and ASU wasn’t enough for you, and allowing Fitzgerald and Guantanamo to look like actual QBs wasn’t, then what you’ll see next Saturday against DeMarkus Lodge, AJ Brown and the OM receiving Corp will definitely you have on the wagon with me. We’re going to get COOKED as long as Ta’amu isn’t seeing ghosts

6 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Think you may not realize the dumpster fire he inherited out there and thr lack of great recruits in that area.  Plus, he won at San Jose State.  I love the guy.

I obtained my Masters from Georgia Tech after my Bachelors from Auburn, so I like that he is a Tech man.  Maybe he'd be a great choice!

Archived