Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

2 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Betting on Lance Leipold.

After looking at his record and where he is now, he could be a good choice and one that we could get for less than 3.5 million. He has turned the Bulls around in good fashion. He has done nothing but win in his career.

An even better choice would be Brian Harsin from Boise State. He has a fantastic record at Boise State and is a young 41 years old. We could get him for around 2.75 million as a starter salary in that he currently makes around 1.3 million. He would be a great choice and one better than a lot of the choices out there.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, bigbird said:

He's just on the interview list. My two wants are Shane Beamer or Cale Gundy

I'm really curious why you are so high Cale. My main issues are that he has been there since 1999 and has just now been assigned as an OC. I know he had the AHC title for a year prior to Riley. They even took Riley as the HC over him.

Now I use to think that Mike wouldn't leave OSU. It seems him and T-Boone get along worse than I thought (so I have heard) and he did listen to Tennessee last year.

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I really respect your opinion but just curious on why Josh Heupel? First year head coach with a QB who imo should win the Heisman and is winning with Frosts players. I need to see more. I def am having flashbacks to gus only being a college head coach 1 year and then us hiring him! haha.

I like Heupel cause he has the OU/Stoops pedigree. Only reason him and Norvell got fired was cause Stoops needed fall guys and Mike wasn't going to be it. He improved the offense at Missouri there, so he has SEC experience and recruiting ties. He won a NC as a player, was the Heisman runner up, and he is a QB coach with a Heisman winner in Sam Bradford. His new role at UCF will give him Florida recruiting ties.

Those are positives that I see. I understand your 1 year concern though, but I also look at him as someone we don't have to break the bank on and won't be trapped with either.

24 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I like Heupel cause he has the OU/Stoops pedigree. Only reason him and Norvell got fired was cause Stoops needed fall guys and Mike wasn't going to be it. He improved the offense at Missouri there, so he has SEC experience and recruiting ties. He won a NC as a player, was the Heisman runner up, and he is a QB coach with a Heisman winner in Sam Bradford. His new role at UCF will give him Florida recruiting ties.

Those are positives that I see. I understand your 1 year concern though, but I also look at him as someone we don't have to break the bank on and won't be trapped with either.

I believe his buyout is 10 million though. That is def steep for a guy who is in his first year as a head coach.

9 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I know the uneasiness that you’re feeling. I just wonder if he is mature enough to have a five year plan. He hasn’t done anything terrible at FAU, but he still posts cryptic tweets trolling other fan bases and what not. I’d like for that side to disappear as well. He can bring back the pool parties like he did at USC though.  

@Tiger Its funny, I was promoting Kiffin last year and got pounced on. The guy reinvigorated Sabans offense! I was all about letting Gus leave to Arkansas, fans thought it ridiculous and they were scared and now the fanbase has completely flipped. Auburn should have played chicken with Gus. I mean come on Gusmeister. 

I really think anyone can be as competent as Gus. He wasn't made to be a HC. He might refind his balls as an OC if he gets fired because a trick play twice a year isn't the same thing. OR THROWING A FREAKING SLANT OR PASS TO THE TE twice a year either. I hope Chiz lets us in on the real deal. Auburn needs consistency and not the 8-5 kind....

Sabear moved on when he knew it was the right time, it's time to move on from Gus's Lack of offense. Bring on the next big thing.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I believe his buyout is 10 million though. That is def steep for a guy who is in his first year as a head coach.

Your correct it is, but unfortunately that is becoming the new norm for a named coach. Which is what Auburn is going to want regardless of their experience, name will matter in the next hire.

Pedigree is becoming important, notice how many of these threads mention that word or the phrasing of coaching tree. It's like getting an AKC hunting dog, you're buying the pup based on the reputation of the parents.

I said this three years ago to friends, Gus is a 7-3 at best coach. He has used up past recruits and starting fresh. He is great at showing different looks of the same defense set up and can not adjust the offense. It showed in the embarrassing loss to Florida State, when auburn dominated the first half, but failed to adjust to the changes Florida State made in the second. the championship won by Auburn were by other coach Gene Chizik, (who was fired after a dismal season when the defensive coach sold the playbook online, who is going to win after that). Get him out, Auburn paid Chizik's contract out so why not do it again.

Kiffin or Seth Littrell. Agree with at least interviewing the guy from UCF.

i previously would have said Kiffin is too reckless but I recently read an article by him where he confesses that he had too much success at an early age and his ego got out of control. He says that he is now humbled back down to earth and has learned from his mistakes.

We would not only be hiring a Head Coach, but also nine assistant coaches, plus a new S&C coach. Which candidate will bring in assistants that can recruit the talent needed to compete at a championship level? Also, can they develop that talent to win consistently against SEC competition? 

Personally, I believe Brent Venables (of those speculated) would have the best coaching connections and bring in a quality staff. 

18 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I know the uneasiness that you’re feeling. I just wonder if he is mature enough to have a five year plan. He hasn’t done anything terrible at FAU, but he still posts cryptic tweets trolling other fan bases and what not. I’d like for that side to disappear as well. He can bring back the pool parties like he did at USC though.  

18 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think Kiffin is our best bet when it comes to actually getting a offensive genius AND a guy who would bring that fire and alpha intensity this program so desperately needs. The thing that stands out about most about Kiffin and seperates him from dana and gundy is he is a ELITE recruiter. He would kill it on the trail. IDK if those guys can. He is the most well rounded out of these candidates and he is our best bet to go against the powerhouses that are kirby and saban on the trail. Him and Kendal Briles assuming he would bring him to AU and snag him back from houston would be hellish on the trail. Just imagine Bo Nix with those 2 grooming him. Dana or Gundy as well. We know he would not be wasted like with Gustav. I am not worried about getting in trouble with the NCAA. I mean we NEED a guy like Kiffin who is one of our best bets to be our Pearl for football. A guy who will come very close to that line and skirt it but not go over. Operate in the grey area. I rather have a guy like that than gus who is just way to clean for recruiting honestly. And can it get any worse than it is now? Having all this talent and gus wasting it? That is worse than just having little talent and being so bad! lol.

and @Randman5000

I have no doubt that Kiffin would put up explosive numbers at AU. I have no doubt he would develop the heck out of our offensive players and put them in a position to succeed and make us incredibly difficult to defent.  I'm not as worried about Lane having run-ins with the NCAA as I am with his ability to create and sustain a winning culture. When your head coach is somewhat of a loose cannon that can trickle down to the players. I have very much enjoyed the high character players at AU that Gus has brought in and how we don't have bad attitudes permeate through the locker room (save for this year when the ship is sinking). I'm just afraid Lane could start out hot then things take a bad turn like they have under Gus, just for other reasons. He has been taking all the bad apples he can find to FAU. 

Gus has a lot of negatives that Lane would immediately be an upgrade over but I also think there are positives with Gus that Lane maybe wouldn't hit on. I'm taking the long view here, I think short term Kiffin would be great for our team but I don't think he has shown he can sustain a winning culture at a school and I'm not sure if I am willing to take that leap considering we had so many questions regarding Gus coming in since he hadn't shown the ability to do a multitude of things that you want to see in a HC. I'm intrigued by the idea for sure but I just can't convince myself to pull for Kiffin to be our HC.

37 minutes ago, Tiger said:

and @Randman5000

I have no doubt that Kiffin would put up explosive numbers at AU. I have no doubt he would develop the heck out of our offensive players and put them in a position to succeed and make us incredibly difficult to defent.  I'm not as worried about Lane having run-ins with the NCAA as I am with his ability to create and sustain a winning culture. When your head coach is somewhat of a loose cannon that can trickle down to the players. I have very much enjoyed the high character players at AU that Gus has brought in and how we don't have bad attitudes permeate through the locker room (save for this year when the ship is sinking). I'm just afraid Lane could start out hot then things take a bad turn like they have under Gus, just for other reasons. He has been taking all the bad apples he can find to FAU. 

Gus has a lot of negatives that Lane would immediately be an upgrade over but I also think there are positives with Gus that Lane maybe wouldn't hit on. I'm taking the long view here, I think short term Kiffin would be great for our team but I don't think he has shown he can sustain a winning culture at a school and I'm not sure if I am willing to take that leap considering we had so many questions regarding Gus coming in since he hadn't shown the ability to do a multitude of things that you want to see in a HC. I'm intrigued by the idea for sure but I just can't convince myself to pull for Kiffin to be our HC.

He HAS to take those risks at FAU to up the overall talent of their team. You have to sell out at a school like FAU because it is the only way you are going to get former blue chip players to go to a school like FAU. I understand the concerns but SHOOTERS SHOOT BABY!!!! At AU you do not have to do that and can be more selective. AU has been way to vanilla in its hiring of football coaches lately. TIME TO GET SPICY BABY!!! lol. But at the end of the day we all have our different favorites and only 1 of them will get hired.

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He HAS to take those risks at FAU to up the overall talent of their team. You have to sell out at a school like FAU because it is the only way you are going to get former blue chip players to go to a school like FAU. I understand the concerns but SHOOTERS SHOOT BABY!!!! At AU you do not have to do that and can be more selective. AU has been way to vanilla in its hiring of football coaches lately. TIME TO GET SPICY BABY!!! lol. But at the end of the day we all have our different favorites and only 1 of them will get hired.

You're right. Mid-majors usually always take those types of guys. I totally get it, I'm ready for something different. I just would like to see Lane mature a little bit more somewhere else before seeing if he's right for us. He seems like his ceiling as is high as anyone out there, but his floor also seems lower just because of the shape he left UT and USC in.

Speaking of USC, Clay Helton's name hasn't been mentioned. Usually we exhaust every former AU player in the first 5 minutes of naming names.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Auburn hasn't been beyond taking on some risky players since Tubs left, some panned out (Newton/Marshall) some didn't (Felony 4/Jovon/Duke, etc)....just saying.  We haven't exactly been pulling guys out of choir practice & throwing them on the field.

Kiffin is a hell of a coach, and no doubt he's learned a lot about running a program.  He'd do well here, but he's still got some immaturity issues he could clean up and for whatever reason he won't.  And he's not openly religious, a solid/grounded family man with exceptionally high character that AU seems to recently gravitate to for a football HC.

20 hours ago, bigbird said:

Shane Beamer or Josh Heuple

Those are couple good ones I'd add Mike Yurcich, Canada if looking at assistants.  I know that no one has mentioned it but what about someone already on staff and no not Steele... Rodney Garner.  I'd love to see the staff he could put together and you know he doesn't put up with bs.  

3 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

We would not only be hiring a Head Coach, but also nine assistant coaches, plus a new S&C coach. Which candidate will bring in assistants that can recruit the talent needed to compete at a championship level? Also, can they develop that talent to win consistently against SEC competition? 

Personally, I believe Brent Venables (of those speculated) would have the best coaching connections and bring in a quality staff. 

That is a really good point.I typically do not like the idea of hiring a coordinator because you have no idea what kind of assistants they will hire. However, look at Kirby Smart and Jeremy Pruitt. Both were able to hire great assistants because they were top coordinators and had connections to many assistants in the country.

If they have aspirations of being a head coach someday, they no doubt keep a Rolodex of those they want to hire.

14 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Please God, no. I was already heartbroken that my Knights had to lose Frost. Don’t take Heupel from us too!

11 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Please God, no. I was already heartbroken that my Knights had to lose Frost. Don’t take Heupel from us too!

He's my number 3b. 

Now how to get my list to Greene...

If we fire Gus after the season:

1. Bob Stoops - he is the only viable candidate with true HC experience at the biggest level, knows how to win and keep a program running. Also, coaches with time off come back refreshed, hungry and with new perspective that can help a lot. 

2. Lane Kiffin (with an aggressive DC in the mold of Manny Diaz or something like that, although I don't prefer Diaz personally) he can secure our '19 Offensive recruiting class, turn Bo Nix into a star, continue to crush recruiting, etc. If he could round up a stellar Defensive staff or even just keep the guys over there that we have, this seems like fireworks to me. Soooo much energy.

3. Matt Campbell (Iowa St.) only concern is not knowing the valuable recruiting information it would take to compete with the powers. But he seems like he can absolutely run a program. Positive reinforcement/energy type of guy. Still young but has experience winning big games.

Just my opinion

7 hours ago, Eagleclaw said:

I said this three years ago to friends, Gus is a 7-3 at best coach. He has used up past recruits and starting fresh. He is great at showing different looks of the same defense set up and can not adjust the offense. It showed in the embarrassing loss to Florida State, when auburn dominated the first half, but failed to adjust to the changes Florida State made in the second. the championship won by Auburn were by other coach Gene Chizik, (who was fired after a dismal season when the defensive coach sold the playbook online, who is going to win after that). Get him out, Auburn paid Chizik's contract out so why not do it again.

Please learn how to write before posting here. Your post is unintelligible.

Like it or not, when Auburn University looks for a head football coach they have a unique standard. At Auburn, you have to embody the University's ethos to a degree. I think this is what most universities used to do back when the sport was about shaping young men and not entirely about money. I, personally, like it. I believe the head coach should be an ambassador for the university and a representative of its values. But that's here nor there.

Love or Hate Tubberville, Chizik, and Gus as coaches, they all embody what it means to be good, Auburn men. This means being blue collar, tough, fearless, Southern, and traditional. That's why guys like Petrino, Kiffin, and Leach would never seriously be considered to coach at Auburn by the powers that be. 

This isn't a discussion of whether or not the criteria should be used. This is a question of, within that criteria, what coaches would want for the Auburn job if it came open after the season?

My picks in no particular order:

• Neal Brown, Troy (HC Record: 30-15): The guy is young (38) , but resurrected Troy. He runs a wide open spread offense that he could easily plug in with our current talent.
  • Bill Clark, UAB (HC Record: 30-16): So impressed with what he's done in his short career. Making UAB relevant is a miracle in and of itself, but in the face of the program shut-down? Insane. He's an Alabamian through and through. In his 30 year career, he's never had a job outside the state. I think he could be special.
  • Clay Helton, USC (HC Record: 31-12): He's an Auburn guy who's done well at a big-time program left in big-time chaos. They should again win the Pac 12 South, making it 2 years in a row. They are the defending overall Pac 12 Champs.
  • Brent Venables, DC Clemson: No need to dig into the resume. The guy knows how to win and recruit for a Southern powerhouse.
  • Kevin Steele, DC Auburn: He was a disaster as a head coach in his only stint at Baylor. But that was 15 years ago. At Baylor, back when they were truly Baylor. He's learned from the best since then. He is 60, though.
  • Jeff Brohm, HC Purdue (HC Record 40-19): The guy is winning in a tough job at Purdue, and has a southern football background. Still an unproven.
  • John Grass, Jacksonville State (HC Record: 47-9): Dude has never lost a conference game in 4 years at Jack State. 34-0! Has won 4 straight conference titles. Almost beat us in JHS a few years back. 

Other guys who would qualify, but are too green: Travaris Robinson DC South Carolina, T-Will LB Coach, Auburn, Brian Bohannon HC Kennesaw State.

I know there are more out there. Name yours!

Open to every bullet point on your list except CKS.  Love him as Auburn's DC but not confident he's what they need as a HC.  I question Venables because it's curious he hasn't already become one.... Maybe HC is not his jam?

I'm not sure T-Rob nor T-Will are HC ready yet but I certainly wouldn't mind giving them the DC position.

Don't know Bohannon so no opinion... I'd need to research him more.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Open to every bullet point on your list except CKS.  Love him as Auburn's DC but not confident he's what they need as a HC.  I question Venables because it's curious he hasn't already become one.... Maybe HC is not his jam?

I'm not sure T-Rob nor T-Will are HC ready yet but I certainly wouldn't mind giving them the DC position.

Don't know Bohannon so no opinion... I:d need to research him more.

I agree. It'd be hard to give over the keys to CKS. I hope he stays as the resident DC as long as he wants, though. T-Will really excites me down the road. That guy IS Auburn. I'd love for him to become the face of the program.

Archived