Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bigbird said:

For me, they come from the same type of limited coaching tree that Gus has.  I place that measurement as the biggest indicator of future success.

Have they hired their assistance from that tree or have they branched out to develop a more rounded staff that can bring in different philosophies?  If you know.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

If you didn’t vote James Franklin, you’re doing it all wrong. 

I think many of us (perhaps most) would LOVE Franklin.  Matter of fact if he were realistic he'd be #1 on my list.

However, unless you think he just has an affinity for the South & a desire to coach in the SEC (for real, as opposed to Vandy) then I see zero reason for him to leave PSU, where I believe he's highly thought of, and they are every bit as historically powerful (maybe more so) as Auburn.

Plus, his rival is Pitt..... I'm sure that's better than facing thUga & bammer every year.  Auburn would have to literally pay Saban money + the Gus buyout + whatever his PSU buyout is, etc.

Just don't think he's realistic.  But if the AU PTB could make that happen then...

b5be1447899d1647cf4237982f7d61bb.gif

12 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

So the moral here is...

Be a man and wear mens' underwear.  They don't wad up.

Duluth.com. They can fix a fellow right up! LOL!

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Love to have him, But would that realistic? Why would he leave Penn State for Auburn? TPB had the chance when he was at Vandy but passed him over for good ole Gustav

9 hours ago, DAG said:

I love the idea of Venables but I have to believe he has something in his past. There is no reason for him to have not gotten a HC gig yet .

I remember this being a big point last year when the seat was hot for Gustav. I just find it hard to believe that if there is something significant in his past that it hasn’t come out yet especially being a big time DC at both OU and Clemson for so many years. Been reading he has been very selective when it comes to interviewing for HC jobs, which makes sense since he could basically have his pick of venue with his pedigree and reputation. But yeah him and kiffin would be my first two calls this offseason if all goes according to plan. 

11 minutes ago, cctiger said:

Duluth.com. They can fix a fellow right up! LOL!

And they protect the boys.

14 hours ago, lala said:

The solution is not having Helton.   Just saying that is traditional AU thinking that has to change.  

It dis with the AD and we can only hope it does in football as well.  

Never point out a problem without a solution!

3 hours ago, WarDamnAirForce said:

I’m legitimately curious as to the lack of interest in Dave Doeren and Matt Campbell. They were Hot last year and it only looks like they’ve continued their success

I like Doeren a lot. Campbell would bring back bad memories of the Iowa State Chizik hire.

2 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

I hope you forgot the yellow sarcasm font

Figured it would be obvious. I was only sarcastic about the names the rest is right on.

This is what I love about message boards. Everyone throws out names of potential replacement's then they all get shot down as either not good enough or someone we can't get. That way you are covered when we get them and they don't work out. I am going to be really mad if we fire Gus and don't have a very big splash already lined up to take his place. So that said it's Belichick, Gruden, Carroll or Tomlin or nothing for me.

14 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

First, I appreciate the approach of your post. I agree that so much more needs to be considered for someone who becomes the face of your program. That said, I’m always hesitant to assume we are unique in our standard. This won’t be popular, but outside of our fan base, I dont know too many fans of other power programs that correlate Auburn football with impeccable standards. We’ve had more than our share of issues with coaches and players, and the NCAA has come knocking on more than a couple of occasions. Coach Dye had plenty of  personal flaws, but I’ve known a lot of his players through the years and he turned out some fine young men. I agree with you about Petrino but what disqualifies Kiffin from being considered? In his 3 years at Bama and last 2 at FAU, what has he done that reflects bad behavior? Maybe its time the powers that be lessen their judgment and think of it with a more open mind. 

That said, I want someone that is inspirational with players and fans, relentless as a recruiter, and alpha on gameday. From your list, I like Neal Brown because he wins big vs bigger opponents, Bill Clark because he has had to rebuild a program from scratch (which requires a tremendous vision and strategic mindset), and Clay Helton because he wins on the big stage, recruits great, and his teams are well conditioned and disciplined. 

I think we are unique in that we find guys who embody the school. Not necessarily saints. Dye was a country kid, a fighter, who didn't back down from anybody. Bowden is a Bowden. Tuberville, Chizik, and Malzahn all fit right into Auburn's culture too. 

Kiffin just doesn't have class. I looooove his trolling, but it wouldn't be a good fit at Auburn. Besides, there are more than rumors when it comes to him fooling around with coeds.

7 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I think we are unique in that we find guys who embody the school. Not necessarily saints. Dye was a country kid, a fighter, who didn't back down from anybody. Bowden is a Bowden. Tuberville, Chizik, and Malzahn all fit right into Auburn's culture too. 

Kiffin just doesn't have class. I looooove his trolling, but it wouldn't be a good fit at Auburn. Besides, there are more than rumors when it comes to him fooling around with coeds.

This is what I think needs to change. This crap about being a good fit. 

5 minutes ago, wcware said:

I will say this (in agreement)....

Pat Dye played at UGA.  He coached for years at Alabama, under Bahr.  His HC experience was East Carolina & Wyoming.

If ever there was "not a good fit" it was Pat Dye.  But hiring him turned out alright, I'd say....

Now, I will say that character DOES count with me.  As a Christian, I try to not judge people as it's not my place.  But I can't pull for scumbags.  They don't have to be church going saints but but please, let character at least have a SMALL place in your hearts 😊.

That doesn't mean that they can't have a checkered past, a la Kiffin.  I would just hope that, while at Auburn, he would show growth and maturity while maintaining his Alpha-ism as a coach & recruiter....but not become an embarrassment a la Petrino to Arky or Freeze to Ole Miss or Briles to Baylor or Paterno to Penn St, etc...

24 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I agree that Chizik and Malzahn reflect the current AU culture. Attain excellence. Then fail to sustain it. Then have the wheels fall off. I’m tired of that culture. It’s time for a change. I’m tired of reading articles about underdeveloped players, seeing guys go from all SEC to undraftable, and hearing about 5 star talent who at AU are waiting for “the light to go on”. I’m ready for our culture not to be one of a constant roller coaster ride, but of one where excellence is attained and sustained over a long period. I get it if Kiffin is not your guy. And I appreciate your desire to find good Auburn men. But we have to quit doing what we’ve been doing for the past 30 years. 

37 minutes ago, wcware said:

100 % agree. The best fit is the person that is going to allow us to win football games without cheating of course. 

59 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I like Doeren a lot. Campbell would bring back bad memories of the Iowa State Chizik hire.

As a resident of Raleigh, NC I will say I have seen up close that Doeren makes the same exact type of boneheaded mistakes Gus does. I am not a fan.

The problem with Chizik was not Iowa State. His problem was "we wanted a winner". Chizik is not that as a HC, but Matt Campbell is doing some winning at a place where it's very hard to do.

Just now, Tiger said:

As a resident of Raleigh, NC I will say I have seen up close that Doeren makes the same exact type of boneheaded mistakes Gus does. I am not a fan.

The problem with Chizik was not Iowa State. His problem was "we wanted a winner". Chizik is not that as a HC, but Matt Campbell is doing some winning at a place where it's very hard to do.

Chizik had a god awful record at Iowa state and the fan base was actually pretty happy to see him move on.

Just now, DAG said:

Chizik had a god awful record at Iowa state and the fan base was actually pretty happy to see him move on.

Exactly. He didn't show flashes of being a good coach or anything like that. He was just a 5-19 disaster lol.

Maybe it's just me but at this point, if Gus is let go, we better have a good plan in place. Not a lot of big name coaches available on the market. There have been a lot of names that have been thrown around on here that makes me feel like we are just settling for whomever because we are desperate.

Was it Jordan who said "You miss 100% of the shots you never take."?

Make Bob Stoops or some other proven/experienced head coach tell you no (more than once) before even considering another shot at a coach who is basically the equivalent to throwing something on the wall and hoping it sticks.

Lane Kiffin? Screwed over Tenn, goes to USC, unsuccessful. Goes to Bama and gets to attach himself to Saban and the success he has had (mind you a lot of Bammers complained about Kiffin and his playcalling) and now at Florida Atlantic. Theres a reason he did not get hired by a bigger school. Red flags all over this guy. Maybe I just don't know enough about him but from the outside looking in, I'd rather take a Derek Mason before I would Lane Kiffin. I keep seeing AU fans begging for this guy and I don't understand why.

Bottom line: grass isn't always greener on the other side; have a plan in place before taking a knee jerk reaction. A long term solution is much greater than short term.

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

is this a dream list or a realistic list?

if we are dreaming id want Saban. we have about as much chance to get him  as Franklin.

6 minutes ago, AUTiger25 said:

Maybe it's just me but at this point, if Gus is let go, we better have a good plan in place. Not a lot of big name coaches available on the market. There have been a lot of names that have been thrown around on here that makes me feel like we are just settling for whomever because we are desperate.

Was it Jordan who said "You miss 100% of the shots you never take."?

Make Bob Stoops or some other proven/experienced head coach tell you no (more than once) before even considering another shot at a coach who is basically the equivalent to throwing something on the wall and hoping it sticks.

Lane Kiffin? Screwed over Tenn, goes to USC, unsuccessful. Goes to Bama and gets to attach himself to Saban and the success he has had (mind you a lot of Bammers complained about Kiffin and his playcalling) and now at Florida Atlantic. Theres a reason he did not get hired by a bigger school. Red flags all over this guy. Maybe I just don't know enough about him but from the outside looking in, I'd rather take a Derek Mason before I would Lane Kiffin. I keep seeing AU fans begging for this guy and I don't understand why.

Bottom line: grass isn't always greener on the other side; have a plan in place before taking a knee jerk reaction. A long term solution is much greater than short term.

I don't have much issue with anything you said.  Matter of fact, I've mentioned Derek Mason more than a few times and am a little surprised nobody else would be on board with that....but I'm no genius so....

The only "issue" I have, such as it is, is the worry about "on the market".  Technically every coach currently coaching is "off the market".  Money changes that status quickly....

Bottom line is you make ANYBODY you want turn you down.  You offer them something they want is the key.  Don't search for a coach scared.... AD Greene may be about to really show what he's made of.

Archived