Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

1 minute ago, TigerFanAU said:

How? This was my post on Clark on Tuesday:

Because you just said we should go after the Bob Stoops and Jimbo Fishers of the world . Jimbo had a big buyout that the aggies paid in addition to make him one the highest paid coaches in college. But now you are advocating for Clark (whom I would be all for) based on what he did at UAB and the high school level and mention that it would be reasonable in regards to what Auburn would pay.

That seems to be the opposite type of hire from someone who says we should be going balls to the walls looking for someone. Clark has done an admirable job at UAB, but he has zero experience at the power 5 level, which you also seemed to prioritize in your other post. This is why I say things like experience is so subjective . 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, AUTiger25 said:

Currently making $7.5 mil a year at Patriots. Just made my stomach turn after knowing Gus makes close to that..

I wonder if Pete Carroll has any interest at all in coming back to collegiate level..

You know how much he would ask for to come to Auburn? 

Pete Carrol left USC with sanctions..I want a winner but not someone who is going to cheat. Also, he made the biggest bone head move in Super Bowl history lmao. I can’t let that go.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Because you just said we should go after the Bob Stoops and Jimbo Fishers of the world . Jimbo had a big buyout that the aggies paid in addition to make him one the highest paid coaches in college. But now you are advocating for Clark (whom I would be all for) based on what he did at UAB and the high school level and mention that it would be reasonable in regards to what Auburn would pay.

That seems to be the opposite type of hire from someone who says we should be going balls to the walls looking for someone. Clark has done an admirable job at UAB, but he has zero experience at the power 5 level, which you also seemed to prioritize in your other post. This is why I say things like experience is so subjective . 

Lol, you got him confused for me bud.

1 minute ago, AUTiger25 said:

Lol, you got him confused for me bud.

Oh crap my bad. Way too many tigers posting here haha. Now I feel like a fool. Oh well, my apologies. But yeah I would totally be down for Bill. #1 reason? Because he shown that he could build something out of nothing . SomethingGus nor Gene has ever did.

Just now, DAG said:

Oh crap my bad. Way too many tigers posting here haha. Now I feel like a fool. Oh well, my apologies. But yeah I would totally be down for Bill. #1 reason? Because he shown that he could build something out of nothing . SomethingGus nor Gene has ever did.

Lol, no worries. Our avatars are similar. Glad to see there's more support for Bill Clark.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Hiring Bill Clark would be like signing Eli Jenkins or hiring Mike Pelton. Locally feels warm and fuzzy but nothing indicates they would be a good acquisition for a power like Auburn

Exactly. If Bill Clarke was coaching some team not in the state of alabama no Auburn fan would of heard of him and or want to hire him.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Exactly. If Bill Clarke was coaching some team not in the state of alabama no Auburn fan would of heard of him and or want to hire him.

100%. If he was coaching at UNC-Charlotte with the same exact credentials nobody would be clamoring for his services.

Just now, Tiger said:

100%. If he was coaching at UNC-Charlotte with the same exact credentials nobody would be clamoring for his services.

Bingo. This x100000000.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Didn’t say he was a winner historically. I said if he won here it all would be forgotten. I don’t care about what people do in their personal life , as long as they are achieving what they are paid to do. Not looking for a soul mate here.

Do you really believe that? I mean, like I said earlier, if we had a slimeball as head coach wouldn't that defeat the purpose of winning for Auburn? Schools like Alabama, Miami, Ohio State, and USC are virtually pro teams. Their fans couldn't care less about the school or the traditions or the players or their reputation. They just want to win because they live vicariously through these programs. It's hollow.

The reason college athletics are currently being ruined is that people, more and more, want it to be the NFL - big money coaches, free agent players, TV money-based matchups/conferences, 24/7 training, scandals galore, gazillion dollar contracts, 100k stadiums, etc. I'm being honest when I say I don't want to keep up with the Joneses, in the regard of "just win, baby". 

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Well Auburn fans don't know anything about UNC-Charlotte. But they DO know how impossible it is to win at UAB. And that's just on any given year. To pick up winning after your program was SHUT DOWN? It can't be overstated how incredible of a job Bill Clark is doing, regardless of if he is ever considered for the Auburn job. 

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Well Auburn fans don't know anything about UNC-Charlotte. But they DO know how impossible it is to win at UAB. And that's just on any given year. To pick up winning after your program was SHUT DOWN? It can't be overstated how incredible of a job Bill Clark is doing, regardless of if he is ever considered for the Auburn job. 

I'm not saying he's a bad coach or anything of the like. I respect what he's done. The UAB thing is impressive, no doubt. But we keep trying to outdo ourselves with underwhelming names.

Seems like we could do better than the UAB coach. I'm not saying he wouldn't do well here -- he very well could. But we are Auburn and should be able to pull in a bigger "brand-name" coach than the guy trying to resurrect the UAB Blazers

I mean Jimbo Fisher contacted the PTB and said he was interested in the AU job when it looked like Gus was on the way out a few years ago. We don't need to settle for UAB coaches until we have been turned down by our more accomplished targets.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I don't want Bill Clark. That just screams local hire and we need a splash that will keep top recruits wanting to come here. I'm not doubting his ability to coach, but it feels like we can and should do better.

You’re probably right, but what he did is unprecedented and extremely impressive. Any other coach would’ve bailed on the program. He stayed during a 2 year shutdown, and bought the program back better than ever. I’m not sure if he is a great coach, but he must be one heckuva leader. 

15 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Do you really believe that? I mean, like I said earlier, if we had a slimeball as head coach wouldn't that defeat the purpose of winning for Auburn? Schools like Alabama, Miami, Ohio State, and USC are virtually pro teams. Their fans couldn't care less about the school or the traditions or the players or their reputation. They just want to win because they live vicariously through these programs. It's hollow.

The reason college athletics are currently being ruined is that people, more and more, want it to be the NFL - big money coaches, free agent players, TV money-based matchups/conferences, 24/7 training, scandals galore, gazillion dollar contracts, 100k stadiums, etc. I'm being honest when I say I don't want to keep up with the Joneses, in the regard of "just win, baby". 

I live in Wisconsin right now . I am goi got to tell you that you absolutely have no idea what you are talking about if you tOSU doesn’t care about their school. In big ten country , tOSU alumni love, love their school.

Secondly, do you think Gus is a saint? He legitimately hired a slime ball to negotiate a contract that AU foolishly agreed to, all on the basis of greed. He pinned two schools against each other knowingly to give himself the best deal. Welcome to college football. At the very least , if he is going to do that, he could earn it.

College football is a business man. 

13 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'm not saying he's a bad coach or anything of the like. I respect what he's done. The UAB thing is impressive, no doubt. But we keep trying to outdo ourselves with underwhelming names.

What is a realistic per/year salary for the new coach? That is an important factor this time around, given the impact the buyouts will have on the annual athletic budget. I believe Gus is going to get around $4-$5 million per year just to keep him away from Auburn. His annual buyout payment is as much as a Top 20 coaches salary per yea. We will have his buyout and the new coaches salary to account for. So what is a realistic per/year coaching salary we will be working with?

1 minute ago, TigerFanAU said:

What is a realistic per/year salary for the new coach? That is an important factor this time around, given the impact the buyouts will have on the athletic budget. I believe Gus is going to get around $4-$5 million per year just to keep him away from Auburn. His buyout is worth a Top 20 coaches salary. We will have his buyout and the new coaches salary.

I don't know about that to be honest. I have to think if we are making the big move to get Gus out then the plan is fully thought out. I just don't think you throw big money for a buyout then skimp on the hiring of his replacement. We are truly dumber than I thought if that's how we attack this.

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

I don't know about that to be honest. I have to think if we are making the big move to get Gus out then the plan is fully thought out. I just don't think you throw big money for a buyout then skimp on the hiring of his replacement. We are truly dumber than I thought if that's how we attack this

Agree. I am very nervous about the new hire because it seems like we have very little wiggle room in the budget. If we go cheap and keep losing, then seats will go unfilled, attendance drops, negative cash flow. However we don't have the money to go after a Top 20 coach, or so it seems. Perhaps go get a cheaper P5 coach from say the ACC, PAC-12, Big 12, if thats even possible. 

I believe that Eric Washington DC carolina Panthers or don martindale DC of Baltimore ravens.  

Of the known products hc there are not any listed that can beat saben so if we are going to get a coach that can beat saben we need to find good coaches from assistant ranks.

42 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Serious question . If Nick Saban or Urban Meyer came to AU, would you stop dealing with the football team? 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I live in Wisconsin right now . I am goi got to tell you that you absolutely have no idea what you are talking about if you tOSU doesn’t care about their school. In big ten country , tOSU alumni love, love their school.

Secondly, do you think Gus is a saint? He legitimately hired a slime ball to negotiate a contract that AU foolishly agreed to, all on the basis of greed. He pinned two schools against each other knowingly to give himself the best deal. Welcome to college football. At the very least , if he is going to do that, he could earn it.

College football is a business man. 

Sure, alumni love it. But the vast majority of tOSU's fan base isn't alumni. They are sidewalk fans who publically defend the assistant coach who beat his wife and the guy who lied about it. Like most Alabama fans, they have little to no care for the school and just want the football team to win games.

As for your second question, yes I would be less into it if we had a guy with the personality of Saban or Meyer come in. It wouldn't feel like Auburn. I would feel like we sold out.

I will always follow Auburn, and I want to see us soar to new heights in football. But I don't want us to sacrifice who we are. 

36 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He is enjoying the NFL, but Joe Whitt Jr would be nice to bring home.

He is "learning" under the Gus of the NFL in Mike McCarthy. Poor guy. I hope he is able to go be under a superior coach soon.

The only guy I would hire and he's been my #1 for many years is James Franklin.

Archived