Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Serious question . If Nick Saban or Urban Meyer came to AU, would you stop dealing with the football team? 

I'd compare it to these new Star Wars movies. As a huge fan, it was great to see them revive SW, but the new movies are totally out of touch with what made the originals great. It sorta ruins the entire franchise in a way. I still love SW, but I'm now pretty disinterested in it. 

If the comparison is confusing, that's okay. Just wanted to mention how baaaaaad Episode 7 and 8 are.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AUght2win said:

I'd compare it to these new Star Wars movies. As a huge fan, it was great to see them revive SW, but the new movies are totally out of touch with what made the originals great. It sorta ruins the entire franchise in a way. I still love SW, but I'm now pretty disinterested in it. 

If the comparison is confusing, that's okay. Just wanted to mention how baaaaaad Episode 7 and 8 are.

I totally get that and respect that. 

33 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I follow you....

I'll repost who I'd like to get because I think he should be seriously considered.

I'd like Mike MicIntyre at Colorado. Imo, he's a Dan Mullen/James Franklin type coach who hasn't had the resources or been at a program to sustain success. He inherited programs at San Jose State and Colorado that were in the dumpster. And he's managed 10 win seasons at both schools.

The biggest criteria we need in terms of the next HC is:

1) HC experience at a Power 5 program

2) has some SEC experience

Mike McIntyre checks off both of those boxes. He was an assistant at Ole Miss from 1999-2002 under David Cutcliffe. His HC experience has been out West but I think the fact he has some SEC experience would make it easier for him to adjust to coaching in the Southeast. In fact, McIntyre's background was in the Southeast. He went to school in Brentwood, TN and played at Vanderbilt under his father, George McIntyre who was the HC at Vanderbilt. Once his father resigned at Vandy., Mike transferred to Ga. Tech.

With McIntyre's background and experience in the Southeast, I don't think it would take him long to build recruiting ties and establish connections.

Look at Mark Stoops at Kentucky, he has a similar record to McIntyre's. Colorado is like Kentucky in the PAC 12. It's hard to sustain success when you don't have the resources to recruit with in order to maintain winning. McIntyre has proven he can win but sustaining that kind of success at places like Colorado and Kentucky are difficult. 

Dan Mullen and James Franklin weren't splash hires when they first started in the SEC. But look at them now, they're 2 of the better coaches in college football and their names are a lot bigger than they were when they first started. I think McIntyre could possibly be the next breakthrough coach if he were to come to Auburn. 

Mike leach J/K!

but really I just read a report where he sent text messages blasting a referee for missing an obvious targeting penalty. He got to the point where the pac 12 had to admit it. Guy he is definitely unique but I like his fire . Also Washington State has been killing it.

14 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I'll repost who I'd like to get because I think he should be seriously considered.

I'd like Mike MicIntyre at Colorado. Imo, he's a Dan Mullen/James Franklin type coach who hasn't had the resources or been at a program to sustain success. He inherited programs at San Jose State and Colorado that were in the dumpster. And he's managed 10 win seasons at both schools.

The biggest criteria we need in terms of the next HC is:

1) HC experience at a Power 5 program

2) has some SEC experience

Mike McIntyre checks off both of those boxes. He was an assistant at Ole Miss from 1999-2002 under David Cutcliffe. His HC experience has been out West but I think the fact he has some SEC experience would make it easier for him to adjust to coaching in the Southeast. In fact, McIntyre's background was in the Southeast. He went to school in Brentwood, TN and played at Vanderbilt under his father, George McIntyre who was the HC at Vanderbilt. Once his father resigned at Vandy., Mike transferred to Ga. Tech.

With McIntyre's background and experience in the Southeast, I don't think it would take him long to build recruiting ties and establish connections.

Look at Mark Stoops at Kentucky, he has a similar record to McIntyre's. Colorado is like Kentucky in the PAC 12. It's hard to sustain success when you don't have the resources to recruit with in order to maintain winning. McIntyre has proven he can win but sustaining that kind of success at places like Colorado and Kentucky are difficult. 

Dan Mullen and James Franklin weren't splash hires when they first started in the SEC. But look at them now, they're 2 of the better coaches in college football and their names are a lot bigger than they were when they first started. I think McIntyre could possibly be the next breakthrough coach if he were to come to Auburn. 

You do know that MacIntyre was reprimanded for his handling of a domestic abuse situation...I'll pass.

University of Colorado chancellor Phil DiStefano has been suspended 10 days without pay, and football coach Mike MacIntyre and athletic director Rick George both have been reprimanded for mishandling their responses to allegations of domestic abuse against former Buffaloes assistant coach Joe Tumpkin.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19618509/colorado-buffaloes-suspend-phil-distefano-reprimand-mike-macintyre-rick-george

6 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

No, Chris Kleiman is the head coach at North Dakota State. Has won 3 National Championships. 

https://gobison.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1234

I think his point is that Bohl is the one who built NDS into the power.  Coached there from 2003 - 2013, winning the FCS championship his last 3 years there and Kleiman is "merely" maintaining what was already built.

Though I agree with you that Kleiman is doing a great job, many would play the "he's doing it with the previous coach's players" card, etc.  I don't think he'll be seriously considered for a P5 job until he keeps it going a couple more years.  Heck, Bohl only was able to jump to Wyoming....where he's had 2 okay years but otherwise is struggling.

My vote is Dantonio. Mostly because he's a decent coach but who may have enough dirt to keep Mark Emmert at bay while we rack up 5 star recruits.

7 hours ago, DAG said:

Mike leach J/K!

but really I just read a report where he sent text messages blasting a referee for missing an obvious targeting penalty. He got to the point where the pac 12 had to admit it. Guy he is definitely unique but I like his fire . Also Washington State has been killing it.

I like Mike Leach but not sure he's built for the SEC. His personality fits the Pac 12 perfectly.

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Disheartening to see FAU having such a letdown season.

Honestly, he may really just be a coordinator.  Not all coaches are meant to be HC's...

6 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

You do know that MacIntyre was reprimanded for his handling of a domestic abuse situation...I'll pass.

University of Colorado chancellor Phil DiStefano has been suspended 10 days without pay, and football coach Mike MacIntyre and athletic director Rick George both have been reprimanded for mishandling their responses to allegations of domestic abuse against former Buffaloes assistant coach Joe Tumpkin.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19618509/colorado-buffaloes-suspend-phil-distefano-reprimand-mike-macintyre-rick-george

McIntyre reported it the day after she told him about it. He didn't sweep it under the rug. His mistake was going to the athletic director instead of the Title IX coordinator and Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance. 

James Franklin team struggling against Indiana now . Like his attitude but they have been free falling. Hard pass.

28 minutes ago, DAG said:

James Franklin team struggling against Indiana now . Like his attitude but they have been free falling. Hard pass.

Wonder if he will be the next Gerry DiNardo.

31 minutes ago, DAG said:

Gonna see how they finish before I shut the door on him. They still look better prepared than we do and they actually use their TE🤣

9 minutes ago, leglessdan said:
42 minutes ago, DAG said:

Gonna see how they finish before I shut the door on him. They still look better prepared than we do and they actually use their TE🤣

Plus, Indiana is known for putting up early fights only to fade as the games go on...

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

NO. He might leave Clemson for bammer.....but other than that why would he even consider leaving Clemson? He doesn't even like Auburn. He's a bammer at heart.

Archived