Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

Don’t really care at this point to put up much argument but just for facts...  

why did it take Brohm so long and why hasn’t he gotten his team over the hump yet.  Open the season with 3 losses gets you fired at AU.  Plus I think Gus took a 3-9 team and turned them into a 12-2 SEC champion the next year.  

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest frustration we have with gus is not living up to our (and his) expectations. He consistently loses games he shouldnt, and although he wins games he shouldnt he doesnt do it often enough. Many have question Brohm and whether he is the real deal or not-idk. Im buying into Bill Clark more and more though. And the number one reason-consistency. He consistently wins and builds programs up. Whether it was at Prattville, JSU, or UAB hes shown he can win. I think he’ll end up somewhere in the SEC this year but i do hope auburn gets him soon

11 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Don’t really care at this point to put up much argument but just for facts...  

why did it take Brohm so long and why hasn’t he gotten his team over the hump yet.  Open the season with 3 losses gets you fired at AU.  Plus I think Gus took a 3-9 team and turned them into a 12-2 SEC champion the next year.  

Heh. Sarcasm.

Long?  Not long.  Took less than a year and a half.  Not long at all.  His team looks over the hump to me.  What more do you want?

The posts in this thread are filled in good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over in facts.  Don't leave any out.  

AU was 14-0 two years before they were 3-9.  Gus had (and has) the entire AU military industrial complex at his disposal.  Brohm had to build his team in a cave from scraps.  Brohm wins bowl games.  Gus does not.

You know, just for facts....

As long as Gus is not at Auburn next year it is a win for all of us and I will be happy. Whoever is the next hire will be better than Gus. And for that I am excited about the next era of AU football.

13 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

The biggest frustration we have with gus is not living up to our (and his) expectations. He consistently loses games he shouldnt, and although he wins games he shouldnt he doesnt do it often enough. Many have question Brohm and whether he is the real deal or not-idk. Im buying into Bill Clark more and more though. And the number one reason-consistency. He consistently wins and builds programs up. Whether it was at Prattville, JSU, or UAB hes shown he can win. I think he’ll end up somewhere in the SEC this year but i do hope auburn gets him soon

I do not trust Bald Head Coaches. NEED MORE SWAG!! haha. Clarke Looks to much like Finebaum to me. RUXIN UNCLEAN!!! RUXIN UNCLEAN! I can never unsee that now! lmao. Besides James Franklin when is the last time a Bald Head Coach ended up being good at this level? I will hang up and listen! lol

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I do not trust Bald Head Coaches. NEED MORE SWAG!! haha. Clarke Looks to much like Finebaum to me. RUXIN UNCLEAN!!! RUXIN UNCLEAN! I can never unsee that now! lmao. Besides James Franklin when is the last time a Bald Head Coach ended up being good at this level? I will hang up and listen! lol

David Shaw

Charlie Strong 

4 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

David Shaw

I like it fam. This is how you do it right here baby!!! WOOOOO!!!! OOPS!!!! I guess I should of prefaced it by saying when is the last time a WHITE DUDE who was bald won big at this level. BUT when you are right you are right. James Franklin and Shaw are big time!

25 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I like it fam. This is how you do it right here baby!!! WOOOOO!!!! OOPS!!!! I guess I should of prefaced it by saying when is the last time a WHITE DUDE who was bald won big at this level. BUT when you are right you are right. James Franklin and Shaw are big time!

Just need to find the American football version of Zinedine Zidane is all lol. World Championships and swag.

Zinedine-Zidane-Real-Madrid-1197452.jpg

4 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Just need to find the American football version of Zinedine Zidane is all lol. World Championships and swag.

Zinedine-Zidane-Real-Madrid-1197452.jpg

NO IDEA who this is. But I would say your assessment of swag is EN FUEGO!!! I trust you to be able to judge the next coach we hire swag level and let us know if it is up to snuff! hahaha.

42 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

David Shaw

Charlie Strong 

NOW WAIT A MINUTE SIR!!! I do not think we can count Charlie Strong anymore. He had his successful bald domer coach card pulled when he lost to Kansas when he was coach at texas!!! There is no coming back from that! lmao.

1 minute ago, The Plainsman said:

Clay Helton is bald.... I think.  And has an AU connection.  

Don't usc fans want him fired already though? I thought that was the word from Hollywood.

39 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Tom Landry, but he just had male pattern baldness. And who would know because of the trademark Fedora he wore.

1 minute ago, Auburn Kev said:

Tom Landry, but he just had male pattern baldness. And who would know because of the trademark Fedora he wore.

This is the kind of knowledge and content I come to this forum for. My young brain just does not go back that far as most of yall great philosophers of football knowledge!!! hahaha. Thanks for the pro tip fam.

Just now, The Plainsman said:

Not sure.   I’d snatch him up though.  I think he is a solid coach. 

I have a feeling his relationship with Auburn is more of the Alan Evans variety than say Bo Jackson! lol.

52 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I like Shaw a lot, especially think he is a high character man who is a leader of men. Also his QBs are always grear. But he is sort've meh in terms of what he's accomplished. Harbaugh built the Stanford machine and Shaw has only kept it at status quo of between 8-10 wins a year. I don't think he would bring us titles.

All that said, he would be awesome to have and a great rep of the school. Would be a quality hire. 

3 hours ago, AURealist said:

Heh. Sarcasm.

Long?  Not long.  Took less than a year and a half.  Not long at all.  His team looks over the hump to me.  What more do you want?

The posts in this thread are filled in good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over in facts.  Don't leave any out.  

AU was 14-0 two years before they were 3-9.  Gus had (and has) the entire AU military industrial complex at his disposal.  Brohm had to build his team in a cave from scraps.  Brohm wins bowl games.  Gus does not.

You know, just for facts....

He has the same amount of loses on the year as Gus.  Here’s the thing with Gus supports that maybe you non supporters don’t get... there are maybe 2-3 resumes out there that is better then what we have now.  No opinion of some message board poster of how big of idiot Gus may or may not be will change the facts that no one mentioned is even close to Gus in actual resume accomplishments.  So all these arguments about how bad of a coach that Gus is is unfounded in logic or fact.  Gus may or may not have worn out his welcome but has zero to do with what he has accomplished.  

The losing games they shouldn’t is down right laughable every coach loses games they shouldn’t Kirby, Saban, Dabo, Meyer... the entire lot of them.  And yes Gus does as well.  

You really care about meaningless bowl games other then practice and fun for the players?  Like I mentioned after the bowl game last year to me it looked and sounded like Gus was the only one that did care.   Fans didn’t go, players didn’t play, and so on and so forth

3 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

So did Gus at Shiloh, Springdale, Tulsa, and Arkansas St.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

You really care about meaningless bowl games other then practice and fun for the players?  

Bowl games are meaningful.  They do a few things in particular that nothing else can.  They give massive exposure for the university which is great, free PR that allows us to increase our national brand and that brand recognition.. It is a big recruiting tool and gives us the chance to flex are muscles and show out against other conferences. It let's us reinforce recruiting pitches and itshows upward momentum as a program.  It also puts a stamp on the end if the season and vaults the program into the off-season with positive momentum, pride, and success.

If we lose, all of those positive, program growing outcomes are stalled, if not reversed. A bowl game may not lead to anything tangible for the program or players. However, I contend its the intangibles a bowl win can provide that supply the foundation on which great programs are built.

JMO

He has the same amount of loses on the year as Gus.  Here’s the thing with Gus supports that maybe you non supporters don’t get... there are maybe 2-3 resumes out there that is better then what we have now.  No opinion of some message board poster of how big of idiot Gus may or may not be will change the facts that no one mentioned is even close to Gus in actual resume accomplishments.  So all these arguments about how bad of a coach that Gus is is unfounded in logic or fact.  Gus may or may not have worn out his welcome but has zero to do with what he has accomplished.  

The losing games they shouldn’t is down right laughable every coach loses games they shouldn’t Kirby, Saban, Dabo, Meyer... the entire lot of them.  And yes Gus does as well.  

You really care about meaningless bowl games other then practice and fun for the players?  Like I mentioned after the bowl game last year to me it looked and sounded like Gus was the only one that did care.   Fans didn’t go, players didn’t play, and so on and so forth

By this logic we would just never change coaches at Auburn. There will never be a sure thing hire at Auburn. But Gus has had six years to show us what he is and what he is is a coach who averages 4-5 losses a year. Thats not what we want for Auburn.  

And one reason no one cared about the bowl game is the opponent. UCF bless their hearts just doesn’t excite anyone like an Oklahoma or Ohio State or Notre Dame. 

Yes every coach loses games but do they do it consistently where the side of the ball they are responsible for looks completely inept and high schoolish? 

And other than the SEC title in 13 thanks to those two miracles, and last year when he boned up the Clemson and LSU games but managed to pull it together at the end....only to bone up the SECCG and bowl game...what exactly are all these accomplishments he has? Five straight years of four or more losses Corch....FIVE STRAIGHT YEARS...and next year ain’t lookin real promising either.

After first claiming to go full fact, you're now going full opinion?  Great! 

Are bowl games important or not?  If Gus losing all of his bowl games but one is not important, then, yeah, I guess Brohm winning all of his is not important.  OK.  So, earning a post-season berth is important, but actually winning the post-season game is not important?  Is that what makes Gus so great?  But Brohm earned more than he actually won, so he's still good, but Gus got to go to more bowls, but actually won fewer, Gus is still superior?  Do I have that right?  (In the real world, consistency of play would be important as would beating your opponent whenever the chance arose.  Are those not valid metrics where you're from?)

While two coaches may have the exact same record at the exact same point in time, their directions can vary greatly.  As stated before, one of these coaches has every advantage possible, the other has had to work for every crumb.  Of the two, which coach will have the better record at season's end, do you think?  Which will win his bowl?  Oh yeah, that metric goes against the guy who can't get his guys up for the post-season, so it doesn't count.  I forgot.  OTOH, if Gus cared so much about winning bowl games, as you said, you'd think he'd rally the troops and win a few, but maybe inspiration isn't part of a coaches responsibilities?  I'm not a coach, so maybe the whole Knute Rockne kind of story is just a myth...?

Some of us here are giving the Brohm Bros some love.  Is that what's riling you up so?  Brohm deserves a hand for doing a great job for fielding a very disciplined and capable team of average joes and kicking some #2 butt up and down the field for the full 60 minutes.  It's exciting to see and I, for one am excited for him.  I sure do miss having something to get excited about with my alma mater...  I love to watch our guys play, but in my opinion they could be doing better with better coaching.  But you say there really isn't any better coaching to be had.  So what is the solution?  Acquiescence to mediocrity?  Hope for a better tomorrow?  What should we expect tomorrow?  I'll be taking notes and will be looking for your predicted upticks in coaching performance.  Do you find that the best predictor of future behavior of adults is past behavior?

Truth is:  We now know exactly what we have in Gus Malzahn.  Well, almost everybody knows. You think he's great.  I think he's peaked.  I'm fine with our disagreement.  I'm not fine with young men coming to Auburn and having less than a stellar coach to lead them to victory.  I hope you're right.  I hope his disturbing habits are somehow corrected. I hope Gus pulls it together and becomes the coach you think he is.  Mostly for the team, but also for the fans.   And we are going to find out because this thread is just an exercise, a thought experiment, if you will.  Gus will most likely be with us, for good or bad, for the next 3 years or so, during which time our disparate beliefs concerning his coaching skills will be proven true or false, one way or the other.  

When the players start caring about bowl games so will I... that’s my point on the bowl situation.  If they as players don’t care if we win or lose then why should I care?

I seriously doubt anyone on this board could tell me who won bowl games last year.  Without looking it up.  The playoffs are what matters now.  When you have teams with losing records playing in them yes they are so important.  Granted I will give you the one he was in that was important he lost.  

And for those that keep claiming the high schoolish stuff... how long has it been since you’ve been to a high school game? Our coaches, schemes, leadership, appearance and so on is so far removed from high school the statement is laughable.  You sound like a recruiter for bammer.

Maybe the mob will get what they want. I will support my team and coach regardless.  If Gus is gone so be it... if we bring in Coach Superstar or Coach Upandcomer I will support them with everything I have.  I truly want what is best for AU and in my “opinion” at this time it’s not right for a change.  That opinion will not change with what if this or what if that or can’t do this or can’t do that.  

So we are already counting 5 loses for this season.  Great fans we are.  So LSU stomps and embarrasses UGA but we have no shot?  aTm?  Liberty?  What happens when you’re wrong?  What happens if you’re right does either outcome change your mind?  I don’t think so and neither outcome will change mine.  

Archived